GD Lounge- The Next Generation Edition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#1251 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

@Randolph: Likewise. No sense of community there. Just a mass of faceless users bickering over the dumbest things. But that's where the money is, so they keep bringing on moderators to help rein it in. A hopeless task, if you ask me, since the sorts of people drawn to comments sections aren't usually the sort to give a shit about the rules or civility, regardless how many times we moderate them.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#1252 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@MethodManFTW said:

Lol, I just don't understand how it bothers you so much.

Started playing Diablo 3 on PS3.. I was a monk on PC, now I'm trying Wizard-dude.. He seems cool..

Want to get a good character to transfer to D3 on the PS4, but I think I'll probably end up just being a paladin when that one comes out..

The problem with spam is that it might not bother most who knows gamespot but when someone new goes to the forums perhaps for the first time and sees nothing but spam, it makes the forums seem dead or very unprofessional and when you are competing against much bigger sites IGN, Eurogamer, NeoGaf its just bad.

But ya it bothers me , particular since good debates are very limited so when 90% of the topics are spam when i come on, it goes without saying that its not something that makes you want to stay.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1253  Edited By Jacanuk

@Randolph said:

@c_rakestraw: It might just be me, but the focus on the comments section by GS is a turn off. Most editors have literally not made a single post on the forums since the new site went up, and interact with members exclusively in the comments of their articles. But the comments are like System Wars circa 2001, a post apocalyptic Mad Max esque waste land where everyone wants to kill you. So yeah, no thanks to that.

Ya, i wonder why the staff on gamespot doesnt even use their own forum? they must know that for a gaming site a active forum is a huge plus and particular when you have some of the more "famous" staff out there.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1254 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@MethodManFTW said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MethodManFTW said:

Started playing Diablo 3 on PS3.. I was a monk on PC, now I'm trying Wizard-dude.. He seems cool..

Want to get a good character to transfer to D3 on the PS4, but I think I'll probably end up just being a paladin when that one comes out..

it bothers me aswell, keeps good threads down while spam get's to be on the page

It's pretty easy to click on the next page.

Not that I'm defending spam, but it's relatively harmless.

Not nearly enough for me to constantly complain about.

I agree, but not everyone bothers with it and keep good threads down by not posting in them

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1255  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

The problem with spam is that it might not bother most who knows gamespot but when someone new goes to the forums perhaps for the first time and sees nothing but spam, it makes the forums seem dead or very unprofessional

Anytime I sign up for a new set of forums and I open one of their main forums and the first thing I see are old unmoderated spam threads selling gold for MMO's and live streaming of sports events, I immediately log out and go away because it tells me the forum is dead and abandoned, and the people who run it just don't care.

I know I've already stopped caring to some degree here. I've already stopped even bothering to flag this stuff, because it does absolutely no good. I already know it's going to be up for hours at a time anyway because the whole of the forums seem to have five active mods at best, and they all post at about the same time. If Gamespot doesn't care, why should I? I'm just a guy who posts here. I flagged so much spam once that I got myself karma banned.

I was an "accidental" moderator late last year and almost single handedly kept half the forums spam free in my spare time on a day off. Hell, it wasn't even hard or time consuming to me. I know this can be done. They have the right tools, and they work so fast it makes my head spin, (in 2002- 2004 when I was a mod for these forums it could take ten minutes to ban someone, here it takes ten seconds to delete their thread AND ban them) they just need people willing to put in the effort, and they have to be willing to care enough to go and get those people.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1256 Jacanuk

@Randolph said:

@Jacanuk said:

The problem with spam is that it might not bother most who knows gamespot but when someone new goes to the forums perhaps for the first time and sees nothing but spam, it makes the forums seem dead or very unprofessional

Anytime I sign up for a new set of forums and I open one of their main forums and the first thing I see are old unmoderated spam threads selling gold for MMO's and live streaming of sports events, I immediately log out and go away because it tells me the forum is dead and abandoned, and the people who run it just don't care.

I know I've already stopped caring to some degree here. I've already stopped even bothering to flag this stuff, because it does absolutely no good. I already know it's going to be up for hours at a time anyway because the whole of the forums seem to have five active mods at best, and they all post at about the same time. If Gamespot doesn't care, why should I? I'm just a guy who posts here. I flagged so much spam once that I got myself karma banned.

I was an "accidental" moderator late last year and almost single handedly kept half the forums spam free in my spare time on a day off. Hell, it wasn't even hard or time consuming to me. I know this can be done. They have the right tools, and they work so fast it makes my head spin, (in 2002- 2004 when I was a mod for these forums it could take ten minutes to ban someone, here it takes ten seconds to delete their thread AND ban them) they just need people willing to put in the effort, and they have to be willing to care enough to go and get those people.

I know that feeling, i do the same, if i see a ton of spam and almost nothing else i just leave and find another place.

Also the whole karma thing is just bad, why do people get locked out for flagging spam? its insane. so ya i dont flag anymore either, why should i risk being barred from posting.

And as to the moderators, well i still don't get why you were removed, its crazy when you see some of the new/old mods where one of them dug out a thread that was years old, just to say "Relevant i think" seriously any user know that is a nono.

So i am not surprised that nothing is being done about the spam, the only moderator that is here is C_Rake and i dread to see how much work he has to do each day.

But again its the only option, NeoGaf has everything in once place and is just one big mess, so its more like a comment section then a forum, because your post gets drowned in 200 one liners and most dont go pages back to see that one good.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1257 The_Last_Ride

@MethodManFTW said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MethodManFTW said:

it bothers me aswell, keeps good threads down while spam get's to be on the page

it is, but not everyone bothers with it and mods should do their job

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1259  Edited By Randolph
@bmartinailey said:

Hello Everyone

Anyone can help me how to play candy crush. I have already asking this question one person but he is not replying me.

This is a spam post.

It has been here for two days.

Relevant lead in to this. That is a link to a thread I started in the feedback forum. Yes, it's about spam. I figured I should open a thread in the most relevant forum, instead of just posting in here, and be done with it. I'm not talking about it anymore, because if that thread doesn't make something happen, then nothing I say on the subject will ever matter or make a difference anywhere.

I'm just going to keep posting about video games in the only place I have ever managed to feel consistently comfortable in doing so, going on in this very forum now a full thirteen years. If this ship is going down, I'm going down with it. As Gunny used to make us say while jumping up and down in place for thirty minutes at a time in the corner if we misspoke, "Their ain't no place like this place, this must be the place".

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1260 Jacanuk

Hmm, did Gamespot forums alter their font style? or did i suddenly get hit by a bug.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1261 Randolph

@Jacanuk said:

Hmm, did Gamespot forums alter their font style? or did i suddenly get hit by a bug.

They overhauled the presentation of the forums.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1262 c_rakestraw  Moderator
@Randolph said:
@bmartinailey said:

Hello Everyone

Anyone can help me how to play candy crush. I have already asking this question one person but he is not replying me.

This is a spam post.

It has been here for two days.

Relevant lead in to this. That is a link to a thread I started in the feedback forum. Yes, it's about spam. I figured I should open a thread in the most relevant forum, instead of just posting in here, and be done with it. I'm not talking about it anymore, because if that thread doesn't make something happen, then nothing I say on the subject will ever matter or make a difference anywhere.

I'm just going to keep posting about video games in the only place I have ever managed to feel consistently comfortable in doing so, going on in this very forum now a full thirteen years. If this ship is going down, I'm going down with it. As Gunny used to make us say while jumping up and down in place for thirty minutes at a time in the corner if we misspoke, "Their ain't no place like this place, this must be the place".

Sorry about that. Got locked out of my account for a couple of days due to an outage on the site's back-end (affected the entire game-network of site's as well, apparently). Really need to stop deciding to log out at the most inopportune times.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1263  Edited By Randolph

Not worth a full thread so I'll say it here.

I downloaded Bioshock Infinite as it is a PS Plus game. I liked it at first, right up to the moment the game put a gun in my hand, and tasked me with shooting other people who also had guns. It was like trying to shoot a flea in a hurricane. I hated it so much. Deleted it right on off of my PS3. Game makes an awful first impression, and the first impression is the most important.

I also purchased Killer Is Dead from PSN, and this one cost me actual money, and it was wasted. Holy cow what a bad game, in every conceivable category it falls short. Suda 51 has officially lost his luster for me. I still want to replay Killer 7, though.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1264 Jacanuk

@Randolph said:

@Jacanuk said:

They overhauled the presentation of the forums.

Ahh thanks :)

Hmm, looks kinda strange now but i like the separation of forum posts thou.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#1265 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I am done with Escaflownev2 except for the friends I made and things I bought with that account. From now on, my main PSN ID is BranKetra.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1266 The_Last_Ride

What is gamespot doing? Shouldn't they be fixing the bugs?

Avatar image for deactivated-651b0437b9bea
deactivated-651b0437b9bea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1267  Edited By deactivated-651b0437b9bea
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

well, you should've waited a little bit..the storyline is amazing and fighting techniques are new using a melee weapon, guns or vigors..it's a FPS so I guess the shooting other people part was pretty obvious it was going to happen :D anyways I really recommend you to give another try :D

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1268  Edited By c_rakestraw  Moderator
@The_Last_Ride said:

They're steadily fixing them. Should be easier going forward since they just recently merged the code of all the sites, allowing them to easily apply fixes or upgrades across the whole site network.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1269 The_Last_Ride

@c_rakestraw said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

They're steadily fixing them. Should be easier going forward since they just recently merged the code of all the sites, allowing them to easily apply fixes or upgrades across the whole site network.

At least i am not thrown to the front page all the freaking time

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#1270 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

My favorite RPG of all time, Chrono Trigger, finally arrived in my mailbox in the form of the DS version. I rented it recently from Gamefly and loved it so much that I decided to track down a new copy online and buy it. That's exactly what I did when I found it for a low price over at newegg.com. Happy times! :)

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1272 Metamania

Hey! I'm not sure where you guys live in the US, but the Northeast and I hear parts of the South are going to get slammed with yet another snow storm. I'll probably not be going to work today at all and I did have plans on going to NYC to see family, but it looks like that's not happening this week. :(

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1273 Randolph

Select parts of the South, yep. In Atlanta they got it, but it's ice, not snow. We've just been getting exceptionally cold rain, not ice, here in the southeast corner of the state. I have to go to work in just a bit, and I'm not looking forward to it. We had to cut a bunch of hours to make payroll, so I've got to take on a lot of grunt work to make things work today.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1275 The_Last_Ride

@Metamania said:

Hey! I'm not sure where you guys live in the US, but the Northeast and I hear parts of the South are going to get slammed with yet another snow storm. I'll probably not be going to work today at all and I did have plans on going to NYC to see family, but it looks like that's not happening this week. :(

Yeah, we have that all the time here in Norway. We call it a Tuesday

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1276 Metamania

@Randolph - I'm sorry to hear that. People are told to stay in their homes and not go anywhere at all and it's going to get even worse. My state, New Hampshire, is supposed to get eight more inches of snow tomorrow. Although I'm happy that I have a five-day weekend until I go back into work on Wednesday, it's just killing the mood lately.

@The_Last_Ride - Really? LOL

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1277 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

Titanfall is quite fun! My not super gaming PC plays it with everything cranked all the way up at 1200p pretty damn solid. Way to go Respawn.

It's actually really fun on PC when I use a gamepad.. Which is something I was really worried about because Battlefield 3 on PC was no fun at all with a gamepad.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1278  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Metamania said:

@Randolph - I'm sorry to hear that. People are told to stay in their homes and not go anywhere at all and it's going to get even worse. My state, New Hampshire, is supposed to get eight more inches of snow tomorrow. Although I'm happy that I have a five-day weekend until I go back into work on Wednesday, it's just killing the mood lately.

@The_Last_Ride - Really? LOL

Yeah, when i see something like this i just have to laugh... When our winters that last months look like this

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1279 MethodManFTW

That is what winter looks like in Kansas... Save for the burning cars. :P

Also, sweet new moderator badge things. Looks good.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1280  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@MethodManFTW said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MethodManFTW said:

i understand that, but nobody bothers to do that. That's why

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1281  Edited By Jacanuk

Anyone else have problems with the comment section on gamespot?

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1282  Edited By Randolph

@Jacanuk said:

Anyone else have problems with the comment section on gamespot?

I haven't attempted to use those in a while. They make System Wars circa 2001, (when the forum was so unmoderated that porn made up half the front page most days) look like a girl scout meeting in comparison.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1283 The_Last_Ride

@Randolph said:

@c_rakestraw: It might just be me, but the focus on the comments section by GS is a turn off. Most editors have literally not made a single post on the forums since the new site went up, and interact with members exclusively in the comments of their articles. But the comments are like System Wars circa 2001, a post apocalyptic Mad Max esque waste land where everyone wants to kill you. So yeah, no thanks to that.

Yeah, i haven't seen any of the actual staff beyond Syntha post here on the site and actually trying stuff. Hell even at IGN they call out trolls or comment on great posts in their own articles...

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1284 MethodManFTW

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MethodManFTW said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MethodManFTW said:

I don't think I am the only person that does.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1285 The_Last_Ride

@MethodManFTW said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MethodManFTW said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MethodManFTW said:

I don't think I am the only person that does.

I do it and post in a topic i want to post in

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#1286 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@Randolph said:

I haven't attempted to use those in a while. They make System Wars circa 2001, (when the forum was so unmoderated that porn made up half the front page most days) look like a girl scout meeting in comparison.

I think you'll find that the comment section is improved now. Sure, there are some articles that seem to be begging to be trolled, but me and a couple others have been working hard to keep them clean as fast as possible =) And we are enforcing the three strike rule which seems to help as well.

As for forum spam, I wish I could say it's gone but I personally ban 10-15 spammers a day, sometimes more if people bother to flag them, but their topic normally don't stay up for long if I'm online. I'm trying to make GS a better place to be a part of, but I do need help =)

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1287  Edited By Randolph

@Korvus85 said:

I think you'll find that the comment section is improved now. Sure, there are some articles that seem to be begging to be trolled, but me and a couple others have been working hard to keep them clean as fast as possible =) And we are enforcing the three strike rule which seems to help as well.

As for forum spam, I wish I could say it's gone but I personally ban 10-15 spammers a day, sometimes more if people bother to flag them, but their topic normally don't stay up for long if I'm online. I'm trying to make GS a better place to be a part of, but I do need help =)

Things are turning around for the better, and I think that will only improve moving forward. I'm feeling very optimistic about that. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#1288  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@Randolph: That's good to hear. We (the new mods) are still trying to get our head in the game and don't always know what is the right decision in some situations but from what I see from the rest of the "fresh-crew" we have plenty of enthusiasm, and apparently we're even energising some of the grampa-mods =P

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1290  Edited By Randolph

I'm having SPAM for breakfast seven days a week now.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1291 c_rakestraw  Moderator
@Randolph said:

I'm having SPAM for breakfast seven days a week now.

Just the diet a growing mod needs.

Congrats, by the way. Good to have you on board again.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1292 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

So anybody here looking forward to the new South Park or Thief games?

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1293 MethodManFTW

@Garfield360UK: Personally no, Thief doesn't look great from what I've seen from it.. If I was a South Park fan I'd be all over The Stick of Truth though..

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1294 Randolph

@Garfield360UK said:

So anybody here looking forward to the new South Park or Thief games?

Thief is not giving me much feels either way. South Park is last gen only, and I gave my PS3 to a friend, so that's a no-go too.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1295 Jacanuk

Randolph you old dog :D congrats on the moderator badge and good on Gamespot for finally seeing the light.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1296 The_Last_Ride

Congrats, we have far too few moderators here tbh

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1297  Edited By Randolph

@The_Last_Ride said:

We have more in the background than you know who can deal with problems, but I do feel it's important for this forum, what I consider the premiere forum, to have regular moderators who not only deal with trouble but lead by example in taking part in and leading discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1298 The_Last_Ride

@Randolph said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

We have more in the background than you know who can deal with problems, but I do feel it's important for this forum, what I consider the premiere forum, to have regular moderators who not only deal with trouble but lead by example in taking part in and leading discussion.

i totally agree

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1299 Jacanuk

@Randolph said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

I agree here now we just need some of the gamespot staff to do the same and let this become the number one gaming forum and kick some Gaf butt ;)

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1300 The_Last_Ride

@Jacanuk said:

@Randolph said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

I agree here now we just need some of the gamespot staff to do the same and let this become the number one gaming forum and kick some Gaf butt ;)

That won't happen, they are "too good" for us. I have never seen anyone from the main staff post in the forums ever. And i have been here a long time