Games you played just once or twice then quit.

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Years ago I might have given them more of a chance, but now there's so many games to play so I don't want to waste my time with games I don't like. Recently for me those games have been Lightning Returns and Remember Me.

Do you guys stubbornly stick with games you try and don't like, or move on to something else?

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

I'll normally give a game about an hour to get me interested before it either gets uninstalled or placed onto the shelf of no return. The most recent one would probably be Tomb Raider, practically everyone has told me it gets better but the first hour or so is so tedious I'll probably never even install it again. Nothing about the late game looks particularly compelling to me and the beginning is a QTE riddled mess that I'm not going to dredge through to get to a mediocre third person shooter. I've played the Uncharted series before.

I have hundreds of games across loads of platforms, loads of them are great, when I do get a few hours to myself to enjoy some games I'm not going to battle through an awful opening for too long just hoping it gets better. Sometimes I go back to a game for a second look, usually if a sequel is coming out or a new game from the same studio, but it's rare that they ever change my mind.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Bully scholarship ed, Shank 2, Divinity 2, alice madness returns, Tales of vesperia....oh man the list can go on haha I'am kinda bad like that

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Crimson Shroud.

Game was the most boring experience ever. I'm pretty sure I legitimately almost fell asleep both times I played it.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Boredlands

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Dark souls

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#7 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Dead Nation and some racing game that I got for free from when the PSN went down. Just didn't care for either game. it's a rarity that I don't give a game a chance. I at least try to beat it before abandoning it.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#8  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I can't think of anything in recent memory. I always do a lot of research about a game before I buy it, unless it's a part of a series I enjoy. There are games that don't instantly compel me.

I suppose Lost Odyssey would be one for me. I've been playing it on and off for a while now and, while I love Thousand Years of Dreams (easily some of gaming's saddest moments) a lot of it is so standard that it's tough to get into. Not a bad game by any means, and I do plan on finishing it some day because the story intrigues me.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I quite Dark Soul out of boredom. It one of the few games I quite because of that.

Ryagan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 1

#10 Ryagan
Member since 2009 • 532 Posts

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. I had no clue what to do, and its atmosphere made me sleepy. Never again.

amalager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 amalager
Member since 2014 • 121 Posts

Eclipse War--Still on CBT. They might wipe everything after the CBT so I just tried it a few times. I hate to lose all progress after grinding a lot for hours.

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShangTsung7
Member since 2014 • 250 Posts

Outlast.

gosh this game was a let down for "One" reason. i had no idea you couldn't fight anything, once i realized this i returned the game immediately, and i was pissed beyond words cause it looked AMAZING!! but i can't stand games where all you do is run, i'm sure some people enjoy them but they seem pointless to me, this game would have been so badass had it allowed your character melee, weapons, guns, or some form of defending yourself other than running like a puss.. it was totally my fault tho for not reading up on it before buying it, this is why its never a good idea to impulse purchase a game.

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

I just move on. I give every game I play an hour or two. But I also understand that games typically have a slow build up so a game taking its time is not a problem... unless it's ACIII and the 5-6 hours before you even get to wear your Assassin's outfit.

But I have only done this with a few games I can actually remember off the top of my head...

Valkyria Chronicles
Demon's Souls
Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Donkey Country Returns
Fallout 2

None of these did anything for me so I just ended up selling all of them.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

FF XIII mind numbing.

megam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 megam
Member since 2003 • 457 Posts

Borderlands 2. I played it for two hours and quit. It felt like a conflicted game that didn't do anything extremely well. Gunplay was weak. Environments were unnecessarily large without any meaningful reward for exploring. Quests were boring, and the humor felt forced. The inventory was extremely small, and I was spending far too much time trying to decide which weapons I should keep.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

a lot. Most recently Outlast, Dishonored, AC4 and Red Faction Armageddon. Different reasons. Outlast because I didn't realize it was basically a stealth game. Dishonored because apparently even good stealth games still suck. AC4 because I just can't stand it anymore (too many games, too short a time), so it's not really the game's fault. And Red Faction because apparently it's not enough that Syfy pollutes my TV with its shittyness, it has to stink up my game consoles now, too.

Pretty much I like to try anything that looks remotely interesting, rather than relying on reviews, so occasionally I end up with something I just can't bring myself to finish.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bowchicka07

@megam: Borderland 2 actually rewards you the more you play it as with most games of course but here it is not so obvious.

Later in game it is more defined on what gun stats and characteristics are better and your character progression ties everything in better.

Not for everyone though but for more often than not it's not given a fair chance by the naysayers.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Got quite a few of those. Demon Souls, Borderlands, Fear Effect, Record of Agarest War, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days, Katawa Shojo, the list goes on. About half of them I plan on going back and beating some day. The others are boring as hell and I'll probably never touch them again.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#19 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

MDK 2 comes to mind. Absolutely adored the first one (and still do!), but the bit I played of the second game a decade ago on PS2 didn't do it for me. Wasn't what I expected or wanted out of a sequel. Keep meaning to track it down on PC and give it another shot one of these days. Hate not giving games a fair chance.

msulcs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By msulcs
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts

Army of Two: The 40th day.

It was bad. Really bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Too many to name. Some games I just can't get into, and then others I kind of enjoy, but not enough to make any notable progress on. I guess it just depends on what games I'm most interested in at any given point in time.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

I do a good amount of research when deciding which games I'm going to buy or pass. So it's rare that I get a game that genuinely fails to impress me. But it does happen from time to time.

Sometime I want to like a game but when I give it a try it fails to keep me engaged. I tend to give it a fair shot, but I'm not going to force myself through a lousy game. I can trade it in or eBay it or give it to my cousin. Any number of things.

The last one I recall was the Amazing Spider-Man movie tie-in game. I so desperately wanted it to be a good game, but it just wasn't. Or at least it wasn't what I want from a Spider-man game. As someone who really enjoyed the Spider-Man 2: The movie: The Game game, I keep hoping someone can manage to capture that level of fun when making a Spidey game but so far Beenox has been unable to capture the magic of the old game in all of their attempts. Though Shattered Dimensions did have it's charms, but nowhere near as good as SM2. So after an evening of giving it a chance to impress me I knew it was not going to. Ended up trading it in, which I rarely do.

I also didn't care much for that WWE game with the stylized character models. I think it was called WWE All-Stars or something like that. Another one I desperately was hoping would capture the glory of the older N64 games but to no avail. I took that one back to the store 3 days later and the clerk was kind enough to give me a refund since I'd had it such a short time. Shame really. I liked the art direction and would desperately love a wrestling game that could capture the fun of older WWF titles from the N64 days. But that was not the game to do it.

Those are the only two examples I can think of for the last several years. The only other one that comes close was Bionic Commando for the 360. But I got that one out of a bargain bin. Still didn't play it too far past the point of realizing it wasn't a good game though, but it was only $7 give or take, so I wasn't too upset about that one. I think I gave it to someone.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Bioshock and GTA IV

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts
  • Gears of War 2: pure garbage of a game i ended up selling the collection after the week i bought it ( collection had Gears 1 and 2 ).
  • The Amazing Spiderman: played about 2 hours of it and stopped, its just boring and story was all over the place.
  • Boderlands 2: None of my friends play it anymore so i lost the motivation to play the game.

and many others that i cant remember at the moment

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy 13

What a piece of garbage that was.I couldn't stand more than 5 hours of that crap.

Goddammit Square..... What did you do to this series?

Each game got progressively worse after 9 untill finally reaching the bottom of the barrel with this.But hey at least It can't get worse,right?

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#26 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I stubbornly played through Jak 2 HD in its entirety. That was a mistake. One of the worst times I've had with a game by the end.

Since then though, I've had no real problem dropping a game if I'm not enjoying it. Mirror's Edge, Bayonetta, Vanquish, and Gravity Rush are the big offenders lately.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#27 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

Years ago I might have given them more of a chance, but now there's so many games to play so I don't want to waste my time with games I don't like. Recently for me those games have been Lightning Returns and Remember Me.

Do you guys stubbornly stick with games you try and don't like, or move on to something else?

Splinter cell black list

I love stealth games and Splinter Cell but that game was just so terrible that after playing it for a few hours i just couldn´t get into it , the whole setup made it feel like a mp player game and there was no sense of progress or idea in the mission system.

I can really understand why it turned out to be a massive failure and didn´t sell at all.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#28 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

I don't want to get into a debate on it but Dark Souls. People are touchy about that game here and can't accept that not everyone likes it. I gave it about 45 minutes of play. 30 of that was making my character, which turns out to be hidden under a pile of armor anyway. I got my eye on the sequel it's normally the type of game I play but either I played it too late and it's faded around the edges compared to other games, or I compared it too much with Dragons Dogma which is one of my personal all time favorite games.

Another is Heroes of Might and Magic VI. My steam account says I played it for 20 minutes. That was over 2 years ago.

Arma 2, it felt horrible to play, I wanted to like it but I always find myself getting lost in the games controls.

Dead Island. That game was weird, although I did clock up about 6 hours on my first time booting it up, I never bothered to boot it up again. I used it's DVD as a place-mat for my drinks next to my keyboard. It's stuck to the wooden service I have to try hard to pry it off.

I thought Lightning Returns was ok and the timer not as much as a problem as it was made out to be, but it is very OTT on it's final boss. You got to play the game twice to finish it anyway, as it's almost impossible to be powerful enough to take it out on first play even with super fast guard reflexes and well coordinated builds.

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

Splinter Cell Conviction: 53 mins

Left for Dead 2: 96 mins

Played AC Black Flag a few weeks ago for about an hour or so.. wouldn't play that again!

agux987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 agux987
Member since 2008 • 234 Posts

Inversion

I really tried, but it was so generic, characters were emotionless, and the story was too slow. Gameplay was ok, but what was supposed to be the strong feature of the game, the interaction with gravity and stuff was not very good implemented and scarce.

Other than that, I don't remember, Maybe Confrontation, but I didn't spend much time on it, so I'll keep trying.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Battlefield 3

I think I turned it on exactly twice before I traded it in for a significant loss.

@SoNin360 said:

Dead Nation and some racing game that I got for free from when the PSN went down. Just didn't care for either game. it's a rarity that I don't give a game a chance. I at least try to beat it before abandoning it.

That would be WipeOut HD. I got the exact same 2 games when PSN went down.

I could understand WipeOut HD, but you really should give Dead Nation a chance. It's a decent game with quite a bit of challenge.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

That's how it goes with most games. Not because I don't like them but because I have a crazy huge backlog that I'm trying to work my way through. I'll go back to the games I really liked after I get caught up. Since that will probably be a couple years, it might even be like playing them for the first time again.

DPumbliQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DPumbliQ
Member since 2006 • 17367 Posts

I have walked away after only an hour or two on many games but Fable 3 was the first game to come to mind when I read the title of this thread. After a little over 3 hours I just gave up, the game felt so boring and I was completely uninterested in the world of Albion and its lore.

Some other games I've abandoned after a short while would be Borderlands, Far Cry 2, Kane & Lynch, Heroes of Might & Magic VI and The Walking Dead Survival Instinct are the major ones I can remember at the top of my head.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#34 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@Evil_Saluki said:

I don't want to get into a debate on it but Dark Souls. People are touchy about that game here and can't accept that not everyone likes it. I gave it about 45 minutes of play. 30 of that was making my character, which turns out to be hidden under a pile of armor anyway.

That's kind of a good point. Also, you spend most of the game as a 'Hollow' anyway, and look ugly and not at all like the character you spent all of that time creating.

jukev2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jukev2424
Member since 2013 • 269 Posts

Assassin's Creed 3- around 30 min

Killzone Shadowfall- around 1 hour

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

The Witcher 2. I wanted so bad to like the game, but it's just so annoying losing 45-90 minutes of progress because it doesn't autosave sidequests and the combat system with it's potions and toxicity and so on got me killed so often.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#37  Edited By 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

Ever since getting Steam, the number of games I've tried only a couple times before moving on has skyrocketed. The Binding of Isaac, Braid, Monaco, Organ Trail, Audiosurf, Thomas Was Alone, Super Meat Boy, and To The Moon, just to name a few. Before, I probably would have made sure to at least see the game through to completion, but with so much to play now, I just can't be bothered. I'm not even using a proper PC, just a dated laptop.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

There are far too many games available for me to waste time on games that are slow to get started or bore me. The most recent ones I can think of were Dark Souls, Assassin's Creed 3, Knack, and Battlefield 3 and 4.

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

@mesomorphin said:

Bully scholarship ed, Shank 2, Divinity 2, alice madness returns, Tales of vesperia....oh man the list can go on haha I'am kinda bad like that

+1 for Bully Scholarship Ed.

The minute I booted up the game, I knew I was in for a bad time. I gave it a few separate tries, but sometimes you just make a mistake and purchase a bad game.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mesomorphin

@stizzal13 said:

@mesomorphin said:

The minute I booted up the game, I knew I was in for a bad time. I gave it a few separate tries, but sometimes you just make a mistake and purchase a bad game.

I only paied $5 for the game haha. But I disagree, you can genuinely tell that when this game came out it would of looked great and played great aswell, unfortunately it just hasn't aged well.

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

@mesomorphin said:

@stizzal13 said:

@mesomorphin said:

I only paied $5 for the game haha. But I disagree, you can genuinely tell that when this game came out it would of looked great and played great aswell, unfortunately it just hasn't aged well.

Yeah, I only paid $5 (maybe less) for them game, as well. Fair point, the game is around 8 years old, so it is an older game. But, I am not going to let the game's age handicap my opinion of it. I have played a lot of PC games from the early to mid 00's, and Bully simply does not stand up well, IMO.

Another game that I forgot to mention was The Binding of Isaac. The game provided a great challenge, but I quickly became bored with the game.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mesomorphin

@stizzal13 said:

@mesomorphin said:

@stizzal13 said:

@mesomorphin said:

Yeah, I only paid $5 (maybe less) for them game, as well. Fair point, the game is around 8 years old, so it is an older game. But, I am not going to let the game's age handicap my opinion of it. I have played a lot of PC games from the early to mid 00's, and Bully simply does not stand up well, IMO.

Another game that I forgot to mention was The Binding of Isaac. The game provided a great challenge, but I quickly became bored with the game.

Reason being because Bully runs on the original ROCKSTAR engine, and that is their engine that has been improved over and over since then with GTA 5, LA NOIRE etc.. unlike some older PC game's that gameplay stay intact because they have yet to be replicated and improved upon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

Fallout NV.

Actually... most of the Bethesda games I played until I stopped falling for the hype.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

The most recent is Call of Duty Ghosts. It's not a bad game, but I've just lost interest in FPS and multiplayer aspects of games. Not many of my friends play it either, so that was another reason I just never played it again.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@mesomorphin said:

Explanation for Alice: madness returns? That game is in my top 5 'pleasant surprises' list for the 7th gen. I can understand ToV, even though I love that game, cause it's a JRPG and starts slow.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Mesomorphin

@firefox59 said:

@mesomorphin said:

Explanation for Alice: madness returns? That game is in my top 5 'pleasant surprises' list for the 7th gen. I can understand ToV, even though I love that game, cause it's a JRPG and starts slow.

I do planning on returning to TOV. God Alice madness returns was dead boring, it was literally rinse and repeat with every f*cking level, same enemies, same gameplay. It was just a flat out boring game. I'd honestly give it like a 5/10, drop dead medicore.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bowchicka07

The Last Remnant as well. It was so boring. Laughable everything.

Sefrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By Sefrix
Member since 2011 • 1499 Posts

I've become much better at only purchasing games I intend to actually play (and every once in a great while actually beat) but to only try the game a few times? The only ones I can remember lately would be Gravity Rush, The Witcher, and GTA IV.

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

@yokofox33 said:

The most recent is Call of Duty Ghosts. It's not a bad game, but I've just lost interest in FPS and multiplayer aspects of games. Not many of my friends play it either, so that was another reason I just never played it again.

Same for me too! I used to love Call Of Duty but I didn't care much for Ghosts and the online place just felt a bit repetitive and stale to me. I still own the game and love the FPS genre, but I feel Call Of Duty needs to be freshened up!

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I very rarely give up on a game without giving it a fair chance. However, I just couldn't stick with Prototype 2 for very long. I absolutely loved both inFAMOUS and Arkham City as open world super hero type games so I figured I'd give Prototype a chance. It just felt really weird.