iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 0

#1 iamllamapie
Member since 2012 • 297 Posts

It can be anything - controls, story, animations etc.

For example, a game I played a tonne was the original Tomb Raiders (1, 2, 3 & Revelation). I've gone back to them and oh my. The controls haven't aged well in the slightest. Horrible turning, walking/running and all around frustrating.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Lost Odyssey. I thought it was great back then in 2008. It still is in some ways, sadly they went the budget route on the actual development of the game. It really shows through. That title is a visual eyesore, and it doesn't help that a few of the character designs themselves are not very good. (Jansen, Queen Mings massive boob veins, etc.)

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 iamllamapie

@Randolph: With that said, Oblivion hasn't aged well. Facial animations seem rather rough, environments bland-ish with more noticeable pop-ins, copy & paste caves/dungeons. Still a classic in my eyes, though.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@iamllamapie said:

@Randolph: With that said, Oblivion hasn't aged well. Facial animations seem rather rough, environments bland-ish with more noticeable pop-ins, copy & paste caves/dungeons. Still a classic in my eyes, though.

All these 'qualities' were apparent back then too.

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 2.

I still love the story and the visuals and the overall presentation is impressive for its age, but after MGS3 introduced things like OTS camera and CQC, playing the game with fixed camera angles and without close quarters combat kind of sucks.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

I think FPS age worse than any other genre. GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark were games that provided some of the most fun that I've ever had back in the day, but are pretty much unplayable by today's standards.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#8 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

I would say that most games from the early days of full 3D characters haven't aged particularly well, especially in terms of visual appeal. Games like the original Alone In The Dark, with their characters made of obvious triangles, come to mind. Even games of the late 1990s like Jedi Knight and Unreal are relatively ugly to look at, though the gameplay is still compelling.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bussinrounds

@starwolf474 said:

I think FPS age worse than any other genre. GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark were games that provided some of the most fun that I've ever had back in the day, but are pretty much unplayable by today's standards.

Idk...was just playing Doom and having a lot more fun than playing like 90 something % of these modern FPS.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#10 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

GTA San Andreas. By god what a difference of 4 years can make, comparing it to GTAIV. That said, I enjoyed San Andreas more than I ever did with GTA IV. However, I can't nearly emulate the amount of fun I had with it by playing it today. I'd much rather screw around on GTAIV than on San Andreas now since San Andreas is hard to play since almost everything about it is outdated.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

@bussinrounds said:

@starwolf474 said:

Idk...was just playing Doom and having a lot more fun than playing like 90 something % of these modern FPS.

Doom has aged fairly well.

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark have definitely not aged well. The controls are really, really clunky.

Avatar image for tunnelsnakesftw
TunnelSnakesFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 TunnelSnakesFTW
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Grand Theft Auto Vice City

LozzieBateman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LozzieBateman
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@tunnelsnakesftw said:

Grand Theft Auto Vice City

This, unfortunately. I'd love to see them return to Vice City in the next GTA game.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

Panzer Dragoon Saga. In fact, pretty much any Saturn game is hard to stomach nowadays. I'd love to see a HD remaster.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

The controls for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are fine (they hold up well apart from some serious frame chugging when stuff explodes), it's the N64 controller you need to wrap your head around again.

I find a lot of PS1 and Saturn 3D games really suffer today, mostly when you're playing on actual hardware though, it doesn't really apply to emulators. The wavy textures and grainy dithering make it very hard to see properly and are very distracting. N64 titles don't really have same problem, but some games on the system have pretty serious frame rate issues and that mad controller takes a lot of getting used to

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@MirkoS77:

@MirkoS77 said:

Panzer Dragoon Saga. In fact, pretty much any Saturn game is hard to stomach nowadays. I'd love to see a HD remaster.

I recently played it in higher resolution....it hasn't aged well.....

But it does look ok when you consider the hardware it is running on.

spaceninja818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 spaceninja818
Member since 2009 • 425 Posts

Classic Resident Evil games. They have horrible controls and voice acting. The door opening thing every time you enter a different room is annoying and ink ribbons. But I just love them. It's kind of hard to explain why.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

Silent hill, RE and Dino Crisis spring to mind. They looked great at launch and played fantastically but haven't aged well at all. They now just control like tanks and visually are just a complete mess. Would love to play remakes of all 3 but that's just not gonna happen. RE-Make on the Gamecube was just brilliant.

Gamerno66666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By Gamerno66666
Member since 2013 • 175 Posts

Old school shooters, Fallout 1(still enjoyed it though but lost all my save files and don't want to get into it again.) and maybe planescape torment.

Ryagan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 1

#20 Ryagan
Member since 2009 • 532 Posts

Sonic Adventure, Mario Kart 64, and Super Smash Bros. 64. I think Sonic Adventure's biggest problem is its lack of polish. It's still really fun, but it feels really rough around the edges. Sonic Adventure 2 feels much more polished. It's really hard to explain what makes Sonic Adventure feel so rough around the edges. As for MK65 and SSB64, they simply don't age well because their successors are so much better.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

Duke Nukem: Time to Kill.

The game is still loads of fun but the controls can be very frustrating at times (similar to Tomb Raider).

AMGMercedes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AMGMercedes
Member since 2013 • 30 Posts

Games don't change, if you couldn't see the faults in a game in the first place then it's just your fault. Either a game is good or bad to me, my views on a game don't change as time goes by.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#23  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19545 Posts

There are some Sega Master System games I loved as a kid that I don't enjoy as much anymore, like Alex Kidd in Miracle World and Wonder Boy in Monster Land. On the other hand, Ninja Gaiden (the SMS game, not the NES one) is still a blast to play to this day.

Also, the first Resident Evil on the PS1. Ever since playing REmake on the GameCube, it's pretty hard going back to RE1 on the PS1. On the other hand, RE2 is still a blast to play to this day.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#24 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Sonic Adventure. I played it again recently and it has some of the worst collision detection, camera angles and level design I've ever seen in a 3D platformer. I loved it as a kid but I've made a note never to play a childhood game again. They're never as good as I remember them.

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

Any n64 game sans starfox 64, it aged pretty well

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 iamllamapie

@Jag85: I know what you mean with RE1. But I go back to the PS1 version either on my PS1 or PS3 when I feel like I'm in the mood for some classic cheese. I do go back to the REmake every now and then, and I do find it great bar one thing. The movement is worse than the PS1 version. The GameCube d-pad is awful and using the analogue stick is horrible...I crash into walls more than the original. Haven't tried the REmake on the Wii, though.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#27  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19545 Posts

@iamllamapie: The GameCube pad isn't a good match for the RE games, since they were originally designed around the D-pad. The Wii Classic controller is better for RE. Or if you have Dolphin on PC, then you can use the PS3 controller.

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

I have to put the Command and Conquer and Red Alert series on here. They were once games I'd list of favourites of all time, but everytime I go back to play them I just can't stand the bad controls, horrible pathfinding and AI and bad game mechanics for dealing with simple things like vehicle repairs. Also these games were made for low res screens and its frustrating to see such a tiny area of the map at a time... there is a C&C addon which does let you run at a higher res, but its fairly buggy... but does at least let you see more screen area.

But in fairness, this was like 1995-99 time, so this was some of the first rts games... unfortunately Starcraft had much better controls which C&C lacked... but it also had moronic AI.

The newer C&C 3 and Red Alert 3 did play a bit better but still are hard to get back into.

But damn.. even worse is trying to play Dune 2 in this day in age... the controls in that game are even worse and dated then the C&C series.

And also... for fps games... they just can't hold up, graphics and gameplay is all that makes them work... and all have improved a ton since Wolfenstein 3d. Best invention in the fps games was using the mouse as an aiming device and the keyboard as the movement, giving really accurate responsive controls. Probably can thank Quake and maybe Duke3d for that.. although Duke3d didn't fully have mouse aiming working as quake did.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

-Super Mario 64

-The original Rayman

-Goldeneye

Had a lot of fun with these games, but their design doesn't hold up.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bussinrounds
@gamerno66666 said:

Fallout 1(still enjoyed it though but lost all my save files and don't want to get into it again.) and maybe planescape torment.

These games have actually held up very well, because they give you things you haven't been getting with modern RPGs.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

GTA III, Vice City and the "Stories" spin-offs. No right stick camera control, no cover system, loading screens between islands, no moving + shooting...bleh.

downnice95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 downnice95
Member since 2013 • 152 Posts

Elder Scrolls Morrowind while still a classic there are clear flaws in the game

Runescape - did not age well because of Jagex changing the game to a embarrsing WoW clone these last couple of years. Long story

Gamerno66666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Gamerno66666
Member since 2013 • 175 Posts

@bussinrounds said:
@gamerno66666 said:

Fallout 1(still enjoyed it though but lost all my save files and don't want to get into it again.) and maybe planescape torment.

These games have actually held up very well, because they give you things you haven't been getting with modern RPGs.

Yes they do. I have played them recently and I did enjoy fallout 1 as i said. Maybe i will play it again some other time. But I just could not get into planescape torment.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bussinrounds

@gamerno66666 said:

@bussinrounds said:
@gamerno66666 said:

Yes they do. I have played them recently and I did enjoy fallout 1 as i said. Maybe i will play it again some other time. But I just could not get into planescape torment.

From a combat/gameplay perspective, I totally understand that, as Torment never really flourished in that area. But from a 'story elements'/narrative/setting perspective, it very well might be the best.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

MGS1

Love the game but playing it now is hard especially with the graphics and hard controls and camera.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#36 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

I kinda feel more like I grew up rather than the games aging poorly. I'm more able to see how these games are flawed.

That said, I use to love Sonic Adventure 2, now I almost despise it. I'm playing through Final Fantasy X again right now and the script and plot aren't nearly impressive to me now than they were back when I was like 14. And the combat simple pretty simple and the elemental system seems sorta stupid.

I feel about the same for Kingdom Hearts but maybe to a greater degree since I swore up and down when I was a kid that it was the best game ever, I think it's plot was a lot more simple making it more endearing today than FFX though, but KH2 is a completely different story.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes cut scenes seem pretty crazy now, I took it seriously and enjoyed it. Now I see it as a little more goofy and campy, but that's enjoyable in it's own way. I don't enjoy the game as much now, Twin Snakes was the first one i beat(I was stuck in MGS2 at the time since my controller broke), now that I've played through the earlier entries I kinda place it a lot lower in the series.

Spyro blew my mind as a kid because of the freedom of moving in a 3d space, it was the first 3d game I ever played. I still think it's a good game but the the repetitive structure of the game kinda makes me burn out and rush through it about half way through.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37  Edited By HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 1, San Andreas and System Shock come to mind. I would love to see a remake for Metal Gear Solid 1 and a new System Shock.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 udUbdaWgz1
Member since 2014 • 633 Posts

@downnice95:

if you're talking about console graphics in morrowind, fine. but, the game is one of the best games RIGHT NOW in existence. I only wish modern rpg's would do what morrowind does.

and, regardless, pc morrowind fixes any graphical issues you may have.

the gameplay of it and the first 2 fallouts is unmatched by modern games.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

Tenchu: Stealth Assassins.

I recently acquired a copy and wanted to relive the epic ninja stealthy badassery of it, when I realized something- you just can't go home again. Not only is it abhorrently ugly to look at, but the draw distance is about 15 feet, it doesn't even support single analog control(much less dual analog), and the movement is damn near impossible to gain adequacy over- much less mastery- when you've been acclimated to common modern gaming conventions.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@gamerno66666 said:

Old school shooters, Fallout 1(still enjoyed it though but lost all my save files and don't want to get into it again.) and maybe planescape torment.

Commit seppuku now!!!!!!!!!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

For 2D games pretty much anything up to and including the 8-bit era and for 3D games pretty much anything up to and including the PS1/N64/Saturn gen. Mainly due to the graphics but sometimes the stiff controls or gameplay mechanics factor in as well.

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 iamllamapie

@El_Zo1212o said:

Tenchu: Stealth Assassins.

I recently acquired a copy and wanted to relive the epic ninja stealthy badassery of it, when I realized something- you just can't go home again. Not only is it abhorrently ugly to look at, but the draw distance is about 15 feet, it doesn't even support single analog control(much less dual analog), and the movement is damn near impossible to gain adequacy over- much less mastery- when you've been acclimated to common modern gaming conventions.

I know what you mean 100%. Even turning and taking cover in that game is a mission of it's own nowadays. The draw distance makes it near impossible to look for enemies, too. Thank god it has cheats.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#43 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@iamllamapie said:

For example, a game I played a tonne was the original Tomb Raiders (1, 2, 3 & Revelation). I've gone back to them and oh my. The controls haven't aged well in the slightest. Horrible turning, walking/running and all around frustrating.

Hmm, Halflife 1-2 great games but they havent aged well at all.

And fallout 1-2

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By iamllamapie

@Jacanuk said:

@iamllamapie said:

Hmm, Halflife 1-2 great games but they havent aged well at all.

And fallout 1-2

Even though I agree with you, many wouldn't. In fact, I think some of the Valve fanboys would cuss you out for saying that.

Firosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 Firosen
Member since 2004 • 560 Posts

Mega Man Legends could use a fresh coat of paint, and maybe a few tweaks under the hood. Xenogears could do with a new treatment, too, maybe a fully orchestrated OST and HD sprites (as long as they don't make them look like the sprites in the iOS Final Fantasy V remake... Those sprites creep me out).

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Duke Nukem Forever.

Edit: Didn't read the title properly, I hated this game.