Games you dislike when you first play it but like it on 2nd time ?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jackfruitchips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jackfruitchips
Member since 2012 • 1065 Posts

For me, BioShock. I played it 2 times before but never finished it (2nd time I progressed farther a bit) as I found the gameplay underwhelming. I've just finished Infinite and because the PS3 version of Infinite has the original on the disc, so I gave it another shot. I'd thought third's time the charm and it's true in this case. This time I'm enjoying it much more than in the past, the combat is pretty good and fun, Rapture is really an amazing, and mysterious place to explore. Although the inability to dual wield is inconvenient but I'm getting used to it. I really like it that I just bought Bioshock 2 from Amazon.

BioShock is now my fav FPS series .

After finishing this game and Bio 2, I'd consider to give another shot to the games I'd tried before but didn't like them.

Apocalypse324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Apocalypse324
Member since 2007 • 1486 Posts

Borderlands... Bought it because of all the hype. Played it and hated it...kept forcing myself to play and just got so bored with it I sold out. About a year later me and my cousin were planning on hanging out and just play games all weekend since we hadn't done that since when we were kids. Picked up a few different games like Mortal Kombat, Sacred 2 and decided to pick up BL again since it was super cheap and wanted another type of game to play. 

Got home, put in Borderlands and played the hell out of it. We got together to hang out a few more times to keep playing it and eventually beat it and absolutely loved playing it.

I picked up Borderlands 2 last year and just got around to starting it a few days ago and it to is fantastic...definitely a great series and I'm not real big on first person games.

Jehuty08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jehuty08
Member since 2007 • 1950 Posts

for Me, Bayonetta. The first time I played the Demo, I didnt really like it that much. Decided to give it anothrer shot though and I fell in love with the game, went out and bought it a few days later.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts

for Me, Bayonetta. The first time I played the Demo, I didnt really like it that much. Decided to give it anothrer shot though and I fell in love with the game, went out and bought it a few days later.

Jehuty08
I had the exact same experience with DMC3's Dante. HnS games were very new to me. Now I can't get enough of them, Even though I stil suck at them.
Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#5 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

final fantasy X for me. I find it was way too simple compare to the previous final fantasy. The second time I played I really paid attention to the story and the side quest and really enjoyed it 

XiggyTheBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XiggyTheBeast
Member since 2013 • 80 Posts

Torchlight 2. Though, the controls sucks major balls. Mouse to move... ha!

enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts
Final Fantasy XIII. Gave up 3/4 way as it just felt like a movie with all the cutscenes. Came back to it to finish it off, and post game was a whole new game to me. Enjoyed it a lot so I decided to replay the game and had a much better experience throughout the game. Still Gran Pulse is awesome.
yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
I would have to say Metroid Prime was one. I remember my first playthrough and I thought the game was boring. When the Echoes came out, I decided to give Prime another look and found myself loving it.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Why would I play a game that I dislike a second time? :)

I have a few games that I disliked to the point that I stopped playing them before giving them enough of a shot, but then came back to them and ended up enjoying them. Deus Ex 1 and FF7 were both like this.

-Byshop

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
Zelda: Wind Waker, I gave up on it because as a stupid kid, I felt the game was for stupid kids, with it's baby graphics, and been a big manly 14 year old, I couldn't possibly play such a game. Once I finally grew out of that dumb phase and played though the entire game, it became not only my favorite GameCube game, or even favorite Zelda game, but my favorite game of all time, and it's art style is one of my favorite things about it. Another is Assassin's Creed. Played it first on PS3, but just couldn't get into it and ended up just stopping pretty early into it. About a year or so later I picked it up on X360 and really enjoyed it.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Castlevania: Lords of Shadows, i stopped playing it after a giant boss fight, about a year or 2 later i put it back in and loved it, i dont know why  i didnt like it the first time.

Red Dead Redemption: Get past the cow herding and its really good.

Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Tokeism
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts
Half-life 2
Mo-licious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Mo-licious
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts
Dues Ex Human Revolution ... started playing the stealth mode style. Not a fan and put it back on the shelf for awhile ... started from scratch again playing the 'aggressive' style and it was so much better! Finished it a few days later. Good times! :)
megam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 megam
Member since 2003 • 457 Posts
Morrowind because of the ever-present nuisances know as cliff racers. I bought it, installed it, and made a character. After wandering a bit north, a cliff racer sent me to my grave. It happened a few more times, so I quit. I decided to fire it up again after a few months, and I absolutely fell in love with the game. I just needed to build some weapon skills to be able to one-shot those treacherous birds.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Kameo

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#16 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Fallout 3 was the first RPG I played, and the even though I didn't dislike it on my first playthrough, I didn't play the game at all the way it's supposed to be played and ended up finishing the game within 15 hours. I didn't understand RPG's at the time, but subsequent playthroughs have brought about the experience meant to be had with such a massive, complex game. Now I think it's incredible and appreciate the slow, patient levelling up and exploring to accomplish the true playthrough the game deserves, and can easily spend 100 hours in it's universe.

Burnout Paradise is a game I thought was average on my first playthrough of it, but mainly because I couldn't stand them replacing the awesome crash mode from the PS2 game's with something different. I got it recently on the store and now think it's a great game.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts
Mirror's Edge. HATED that game my first playthrough as there was a lot of trial and error, but once I got the controls down and knew the general direction of where I was headed, I loved it.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#18 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Metro 2033. Although, I still think the game is terribly designed.

unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
The guitar hero games.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#20 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Dues Ex HR.

The first time I played it, I hated the controls immediately and took it back.

Bought it on a whim not to long ago.....Love the game now. The controls are perfect and im slaying everyone undected. I think Far Cry 3 may have helped me like this game because the game style is kind of similar in a way. But, ya. DEHR is amazing now.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
God of War 1. Bought the collection for $10 on Black Friday 2010, thought I got a steal, played it, didn't enjoy it. Played God of War 3, loved it, went back to 1 and found it amazingly enjoyable. Halo Reach. I still find the campaign's plot itself to be just "there" and one of them most inconsequential, muddled plots I've seen this generation, but there's a lot of things I enjoyed more in the game a second time through. New Alexandria ranks in the best levels I've ever played in any video game, ever, and there are some other couple good ones. The ability to skip some long firefights entirely is great as well. There are still some levels that are stinkers, but I enjoyed the game more a second time through. I remember not enjoying Arkham Asylum's demo before it launched, but played Arkham City last year and found it to be one of the best games of this generation. I also loved Arkham Asylum recently.
capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

Bioshock.  I just couldn't get into the story the first time around and gave up on it, then sold my Xbox 360 copy to a game shop.  I decided to give it another try after all the hype over Bishock Infinite and found a copy of the Bioshock Rapture Edition for PS 3, which contains Bioshock and Bioshock 2, in the bargain bin.  I'm having a blast with it this time around.  I don't know why I couldn't get into it the first time, but I'm glad I gave it a second look.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#23 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

I remember I didn't like Half Life 2 when I first played it on Xbox. But I got the Orange Box on 360 and replayed it and of course finally saw what the fuss was about. I also didn't like Oblivion at first, but that quickly changed.  Can't think of any others but I know there's more.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lulekani
[QUOTE="capaho"]

Bioshock.  I just couldn't get into the story the first time around and gave up on it, then sold my Xbox 360 copy to a game shop.  I decided to give it another try after all the hype over Bishock Infinite and found a copy of the Bioshock Rapture Edition for PS 3, which contains Bioshock and Bioshock 2, in the bargain bin.  I'm having a blast with it this time around.  I don't know why I couldn't get into it the first time, but I'm glad I gave it a second look.

MirkoS77
I tried Bioshock and hated it, played it again, hated it. I think I may have to try Infinite to see how this whole baptism thing feels so we can better debate about it in the other thread. :P

Make sure you DON'T wind up buying or renting Infinite just to see the Bastism. It would be a shame if you spent cash just to see something someone overexagerated.
Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

Fallout 3. I first got it when it came out but it didn't grab me and I traded it in not long after. I got the GOTY edition for Christmas a few years later and it ended up ruling my life.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MirkoS77

capaho
I tried Bioshock and hated it, played it again, hated it. I think I may have to try Infinite to see how this whole baptism thing feels so we can better debate about it in the other thread. :P
smithseoooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 smithseoooo
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Got home, put in Borderlands and played the hell out of it. We got together to hang out a few more times to keep playing it and eventually beat it and absolutely loved playing it.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Definitely Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicka. It's a RPG from Troika (Black Isle's legacy), and i was put off by the drab environments and horrible real-time combat.

A couple of years later, i fell inlove. The thing is, there's also a turn-based combat system to choose, and that's great. But were the game shines in are the character role playing mechanics. Light years ahead of their time, and still far better than anything out there, making practically every character RPG mechanics look outdated.

You can literally create whatever character you want, and play with it, like;

a fire warlord/any type of wizard you can imagine

a powerful necromancer

a generic fantasy swordsman

a western cowboy gunslinger

a persuasive beautiful female that can talk her way out of anything

a herbologist

a technological mastermind that can unleash robots to do his bidding

.. and so much more. .. Anything.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 capaho
[QUOTE="MirkoS77"][QUOTE="capaho"]

Lulekani

Make sure you DON'T wind up buying or renting Infinite just to see the Bastism. It would be a shame if you spent cash just to see something someone overexagerated.

The baptism scene isn't a problem for me, I was merely advocating respect for the feelings of others in the thread on that controversy. I will likely pick up a copy of Bioshock Infinite after I finish with the first two games in that series.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lulekani
^ "CAPITAL IDEA, WATSON !"
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#31 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
This usually happens later on in my first playthrough when I decide that I actually like the game. Though, with Borderlands 2, I disliked playing the game much through my first playthrough, but the second time around with a different character, I ended up enjoying it more.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Pokémon Gold and Wind Waker that I can think of because I played the demo station at Wal-Mart and when I play Demo stations I tend to hate them but I usually end up liking them when I actually purchase the game.

rocketsatdawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rocketsatdawn
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Dota 2. I got pissed off the first time I played it since people are complete dicks in it. Other players gang up on you and your own team mates try to steal all the kills. It is then seriously difficult to level up. I tried it out again at a later point though, kinda felt obliged to since my buddy gave me a key. It soarta grew on me once I found a character that I  could work with.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#34 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
Final Fantasy 13, i just hated it the first time, but i liked it more the second time around (though people still hate on that game)
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MirkoS77
[QUOTE="MirkoS77"][QUOTE="capaho"]

Lulekani

Well God knows as I'm an atheist having a forced baptism is far more offensive as I'm not even religious, with the game operating under the assumption I am. I am OFFENDED and want my money back.
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

I've never replayed a game that I didn't like when first playing it. It's pointless, I have such a huge backlog of games to play (and to replay!), why would I waste time on stuff I don't like?

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 capaho

I've never replayed a game that I didn't like when first playing it. It's pointless, I have such a huge backlog of games to play (and to replay!), why would I waste time on stuff I don't like?

ReddestSkies

Because you might find something you like if you take a second look.  I went back to Bioshock because I was interested in Bioshock Infinite after reading the reviews and seeing the screenshots, but I didn't want to play it first before finishing its predecessors.  I'm glad I want back to Bioshock because I'm enjoying the game this time around.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#38 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
Borderlands. Played solo and with randoms and hated it. Got it cheap on steam years later and am currently enjoying it a lot with a group of friends. Also, I didn't dislike the original Witcher, but I didn't really get into it until they they released Witcher 2. I decided to beat part one and I'm so glad I did. A wonderful game. Made my Witcher 2 play through that much better. I even read one of the books.
Reanemeiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Reanemeiko
Member since 2013 • 53 Posts
Honestly? Dota.. when I first try it i can't cope up with the game and at first i don't really know how to play it. but when I forced to play it again i started to love the game.. And it's really a competitive and teamwork game.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#40 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Metro first time around was rather lackluster but the secodn time it was a bit more passable and enjoyable.

Not by much but just enough.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#41 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy 1.  It's still my least favorite 3D Mario but I definitely enjoyed it more when I played it as Luigi.

Ryagan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 1

#42 Ryagan
Member since 2009 • 532 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy 1.  It's still my least favorite 3D Mario but I definitely enjoyed it more when I played it as Luigi.

bowserjr123
I didn't like either of the Galaxy games at first. The second one was way better than the first. And you're right, playing as Luigi really helps improve the overall experience.
bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#43 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

[QUOTE="bowserjr123"]

Ryagan

I didn't like either of the Galaxy games at first. The second one was way better than the first. And you're right, playing as Luigi really helps improve the overall experience.

Yeah I really enjoyed the second one, the level design was much better with Yoshi and it being more challenging overall.  I also liked the green stars and the final level so much more than Galaxy 1.  Galaxy 1 was a cake walk the 1st time around and slightly less so with Luigi.  

Blazed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Blazed
Member since 2005 • 2947 Posts

Chorono Trigger

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

Kid Icarus: Uprisng due to the controls. Once I began to get used to them and play the game without the 3DS stand, my opinion of the game improves.

mastercolex2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mastercolex2
First you play this game YOur a noob, but its a very fun game after you reach lvl 10 i recommend it to every one who likes FPS https://register.perfectworld.com/bl_splash/3b375976489d1d32b13e016fbf629981
BowlofNoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BowlofNoodles
Member since 2004 • 519 Posts

FF7 - I never played it until it finally came to PSN. Started it, stopped after a couple hours in simply because I just got bored. Started it up again two weeks ago...hooked.

L4D2 - Played through all the campaigns over a weekend and thought "that's what all the hype is about?". Then I started playing versus...

lch7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lch7
Arkham City and Skyrim.
Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts

I remember I didn't like Half Life 2 when I first played it on Xbox. But I got the Orange Box on 360 and replayed it and of course finally saw what the fuss was about. I also didn't like Oblivion at first, but that quickly changed.  Can't think of any others but I know there's more.

immortality20
I was in the same boat with HL2. The Xbox version just wasn't very good. My experience with Oblivion was exactly opposite of your own, though. I started out madly in love with it, then slowly came around to regarding it as a very poor game, after the splendor of Morrowind. Skyrim did a better job, much better.
Sileviathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Sileviathan
Member since 2013 • 158 Posts
Bioshock. I got really bored the first time I tried it. But then I picked it up a few months later and it was so good that I couldn't put it down. I ended up beating it in a single day.