Games that took so long to be released that the hype died down?

#1 Posted by Speeny (1764 posts) -

New or old.

I’m not familiar with many but I’d say Kingdom Hearts 3 was one of them. Not for the loyal fans but for casual players like me, yes. Psychonaughts 2 might be one as well.

#2 Posted by Litchie (24025 posts) -

Borderlands 3, to an extent. Maybe the FF7 remake.

#3 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44044 posts) -

Duke Nukem Forever. Took so long it became a joke, and when it came out it was--surprise surprise--a joke of a game.

#4 Posted by robert_sparkes (3075 posts) -

For me it's FF 7 definitely Luke warm for me now.

#5 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5108 posts) -

@speeny:

Kingdom Hearts 3 turned out to be a total letdown for me. It wasn't even worth the wait.

#6 Edited by DaVillain- (36903 posts) -

The Last Guardian PS4 comes to mind and it took a decade to get that game release and the hype surrounding it died off. I wasn't even excited picking it up and decided to wait for a sale after release. Played the game and I couldn't bring myself to get hype while playing it.

#7 Posted by RSM-HQ (8417 posts) -

Putty Squad took from 1994 to 2013.

Though from my understanding it wasn't in development all those years, System 3 cancelled the game and came back to it a decade or so later.

#8 Posted by Speeny (1764 posts) -

@davillain-: That really does suck. I remember it was a very underwhelming release. I really loved what I played of ICO.

#9 Posted by Speeny (1764 posts) -

@nepu7supastar7: Agreed. It felt so rushed. The gummi ship content was complete trash too.

What I didn’t like is that all of the worlds were shown off before release. (No surprise worlds, what?!) Kingdom Hearts II is so much better in my opinion.

#10 Posted by omegaMaster (1284 posts) -

I concur with KH3. All that hype and wasn't what everyone expected.

I also like to add FFXV. So many years of development and speculation, and we were left with an incomplete game with the Day One edition. Then Square-Enix repackaged the game a few years later FFS.

#11 Posted by Lembu90 (580 posts) -

With episodic content and generic hack-and-slash gameplay, Final Fantasy VII Remake is destined to be a game with "all flashes zero substance".

#12 Posted by Orionsbane (32 posts) -

For me it's Yandere Simulator. I used to be so exited for the game, but after like 4 years of "I didn't manage to make much progress on the game" I just got tired and grew out of my weaboo stage.

#13 Edited by warmblur (2515 posts) -

Alan Wake the story and characters are great but the gameplay gets repetitive the game was originally suppose to be open world I wish it stayed that way the game needed more variety. Shooting ghost like enemies isn't as satisfying as shooting normal human villains.

#14 Posted by Speeny (1764 posts) -

@warmblur: Wow I didn’t know it was originally going to be open world. I think it would of been much better that way.

#15 Posted by henrythefifth (2502 posts) -

Death Stranding. Its safe to say the hype is officially dead on that one!

#16 Posted by Speeny (1764 posts) -

@henrythefifth: Yeah I haven't heard much on that game in a while.

#17 Posted by Raining51 (1124 posts) -

Winback....

Sad... sad story.

#18 Edited by watchdogsrules (545 posts) -

Dead Island 2

#19 Posted by Speeny (1764 posts) -

@watchdogsrules: Yep, I remember that myself.