Games that look great!... That you can't get into :(

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By TiggyTog
Member since 2017 • 324 Posts

Basically, post here about games that you personally were really hyped for, that got good reviews, but that you just couldn't get into despite it still looking cool to you, even today after playing it.

For me, the biggest are the Monster Hunter games and Dark Souls.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Fallout 4 - Lost interest after 3 hours playing it.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

Star Wars Battlefront. Thought the graphics were great, but the gameplay was AWFUL.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

Games that take place around present day. Like modern shooters or GTA V, they just don't appeal to me.

Lembu90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By Lembu90
Member since 2015 • 665 Posts

Final Fantasy XV. It looks good but sadly it abandoned the turn-based battle and lack of permanent playable female characters turned me away from it. For me FF have been always about diverse characters went to adventure with turn-based battle. Not some group of K-Pop boyband wannabes slashing anything in their way. FFXV is a shitty cash grab from A. Lonely, tumblr-addicted fujoshis B. Western gamers who hates JRPGs except for this one.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

@lembu90: Yeah, FFXV was a disappointment. Wasn't used to how FFXV introduced DLCs and season passes. Up to this day since the release, I have not bought a single DLC or season pass. I refuse to spend more after paying £40 on the Day One edition.

Since FFXV royal edition is coming out, I gave up on the FFXV series for good. Probably wait till Square releases FFXV Complete Edition in 3 years time for a tenner (£10) :P

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Vanquish
Bayonetta
The Souls games
Nioh
Final Fantasy series (although I'm going to give the new one a spin when it comes out on PC...gotta keep giving them a chance!)
...seeing a trend here? Basically most modern Japanese games. And it's not so much that I don't enjoy them and that's fine; no, I honestly don't understand what others see in these games. Everyone has their one "thing" that they are irrationally hostile about, and so sorry, but Japanese games are mine ahaha.

But, so it doesn't feel like I'm picking on one section, I also could not find myself liking:

the Telltale games, i.e. Walking Dead, Tales from the Borderlands, etc.

Assassin's Creed Origins: not so much because I didn't like it, it was just the final nail in the coffin that more or less buried the stealthy-predator-like gameplay of the previous games, and turned it into "just another action game"

The multiplayer component of any RTS game: I know a lot of you feel like RTS games are all about the multiplayer, but *in old man voice* back in my day, RTS games had some really great single-player components. I love a big RTS wrapped around a story.

Life is Strange: I think, as a 30-something male, I am not their target demographic. Good story, nice voice acting...I just couldn't get with the high school bullshit :(

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TiggyTog

@mrbojangles25: I guess it depends on what your thing is.

The Final Fantasy series now has a huge range, 3 fighting games, RTS, Action-RPG's and Turn-Based RPG's.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@tiggytog said:

@mrbojangles25: I guess it depends on what your thing is.

The Final Fantasy series now has a huge range, 3 fighting games, RTS, Action-RPG's and Turn-Based RPG's.

Yeah and FF15 is coming to PC shortly, want to give it a shot. Though it's odd; when it came out, it was the bee's knees, but now everyone is like "Meh it was not that good" lol.

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TiggyTog

@mrbojangles25: That is what's known as the "hype train", my friend.

It has felled many, such as No Man's Sky, Hello Neighbor, and more.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

the witcher 3

monster hunter

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Total War series, or basically any cool looking RTS game.

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

I was hyped for Ori and the blind forest but as soon as I started playing I hated almost everything about it. I don't know why I dislike the game but I just don't.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

The Witcher 3

I was really excited for this game before it released since it looked like the type of game that I would love and it obviously received great reviews and looked beautiful, but I thought that it was boring to play and the terrible combat and movement controls were very annoying.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

EvE

on paper by all metrics I should love the game and I found learning the game fun, but actually playing the game is boring

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

Destiny

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TiggyTog

I've been playing Subnautica lately, and I'm hoping it isn't gonna be the case for that game.

I'm having trouble finding certain parts and it's driving me crazy and making me lose interest.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

witcher 3 didn't hit the spot like i thought it would. wasn't a huge fan of the world or the pacing. it was good but not the goat like many had hyped it as. and i so badly wanted it to be too.

the last hitman game. an episodic hitman game in various exotic sandbox locations sounded appealing on paper but lacked direction, structure and focus. i'm a huge hitman fan but i preferred absolution if i'm honest.

and ffxv. first ff game i've played since the snes days so it was a punt but when i discovered i could drive the car but not actually drive off the road... that was the first encounter of what would turn out to be many, many annoying gameplay aspects and features. verdict - not my cuppa tea

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@tiggytog said:

I've been playing Subnautica lately, and I'm hoping it isn't gonna be the case for that game.

I'm having trouble finding certain parts and it's driving me crazy and making me lose interest.

I had that problem as well initially but I reached a sort of crux where once I got the seamoth I found it way easier to explore and find wrecks that have different parts.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 with_teeth26

Uncharted Lost Legacy: I quite enjoyed UC4 and was looking forward to see what they did with a new campaign but I felt they did a terrible job setting up the story for Lost Legacy, and the section early on where you are driving around the open area was one of the most boring segments I can recall in any game. I didn't really like the two main characters all that much, and without likeable characters and a good narrative setup, the bland-ass gameplay just couldn't hold up the experience.

Far Cry 4: I really enjoyed FC3 and I thought the setting for FC4 seemed awesome. I think I was just experiencing open world fatigue as I just didn't get any enjoyment out of this game and stopped playing after 10 hours or so

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

Nioh.- It looks amazing but I won't buy it because I suck at games like this (I couldn't pass the first level in Dark Souls 2).

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Superhot. I hyped it up from the minute I saw it, then the final game was a 2-hour trial&error slog (for $30) with a horrible intrusive 4th wall-breaking "plot".

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TiggyTog

@with_teeth26: The mobile vehicle bay implementor needs to be shot, its so hard to find pieces of it.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

All of The Witcher games. I've tried playing all of them, I love RPGs but I think I haven't played any of them for more than about 30 mins... I'm sure if I gave em another shot I would probably love them, but I just lose interest.

I did the same with Fallout 3. I owned the game for a couple years before I finally played it long enough to get out of the vault and loved the games.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Macutchi

@with_teeth26 said:

Uncharted Lost Legacy: I quite enjoyed UC4 and was looking forward to see what they did with a new campaign but I felt they did a terrible job setting up the story for Lost Legacy, and the section early on where you are driving around the open area was one of the most boring segments I can recall in any game. I didn't really like the two main characters all that much, and without likeable characters and a good narrative setup, the bland-ass gameplay just couldn't hold up the experience.

yeah, that faux-open world section, with god knows how many mind numbingly tedious turn-the-discs-to-match-the-inscription type puzzles was equal parts interminable and horrendous.

it was a real surprise for me because i hold naughty dog in the same esteem as r* for polish and attention to detail in their games, which is why i believe they get highly praised for formulas which other developers would likely get hammered for, but this was well below par for them. and i know the uncharted games are always a bit fanciful in their narrowly-escaping-death scenarios but seriously those two women should have died a long, long time before the end. they were practically superhuman, some of the shit they were pulling off.

unlike chloe and nadine, lost legacy showed naughty dog are human after all

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 with_teeth26

@Macutchi said:
@with_teeth26 said:

yeah, that faux-open world section, with god knows how many mind numbingly tedious turn-the-discs-to-match-the-inscription type puzzles was equal parts interminable and horrendous.

it was a real surprise for me because i hold naughty dog in the same esteem as r* for polish and attention to detail in their games, which is why i believe they get highly praised for formulas which other developers would likely get hammered for, but this was well below par for them. and i know the uncharted games are always a bit fanciful in their narrowly-escaping-death scenarios but seriously those two women should have died a long, long time before the end. they were practically superhuman, some of the shit they were pulling off.

unlike chloe and nadine, lost legacy showed naughty dog are human after all

If I had to guess, I think the game was originally supposed to be DLC for UC4 and they decided to make it into a stand-alone thing, the open world bit was probably put in there to pad the length and make it seem like better value.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Macutchi

@with_teeth26: sounds plausible, that section felt very different to the rest of the game and the rest of the series. just smacked of laziness, ticking off puzzles on a map like groceries on a shopping list ffs. hope the creatives responsible are kept well away from tlou 2

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#28  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Don't base my enjoyment with gaming on "looks", so it was a nice read all, but don't think I can contribute without lying to myself.

Played plenty of games I couldn't enjoy. However; I've tried these for being on sale, recommended, or just good reputation. It's in my nature to try outside my comfort zone and see what else can be enjoyable in gaming but that's just it. . Trying new stuff on a whim.

Not because the cover art looked 'cool'.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Wow, there's just so many that I can't get into, let's see. X series, Elite series. NFS, StarWars, Destiny, Witcher series, Doom, Tomb Raider, Crysis series, DarkSouls

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#30 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Vanquish

Bayonetta

The Souls games

Nioh

Final Fantasy series (although I'm going to give the new one a spin when it comes out on PC...gotta keep giving them a chance!)

...seeing a trend here? Basically most modern Japanese games. And it's not so much that I don't enjoy them and that's fine; no, I honestly don't understand what others see in these games. Everyone has their one "thing" that they are irrationally hostile about, and so sorry, but Japanese games are mine ahaha.

But, so it doesn't feel like I'm picking on one section, I also could not find myself liking:

the Telltale games, i.e. Walking Dead, Tales from the Borderlands, etc.

Assassin's Creed Origins: not so much because I didn't like it, it was just the final nail in the coffin that more or less buried the stealthy-predator-like gameplay of the previous games, and turned it into "just another action game"

The multiplayer component of any RTS game: I know a lot of you feel like RTS games are all about the multiplayer, but *in old man voice* back in my day, RTS games had some really great single-player components. I love a big RTS wrapped around a story.

Life is Strange: I think, as a 30-something male, I am not their target demographic. Good story, nice voice acting...I just couldn't get with the high school bullshit :(

What people see in the games you mentioned:

Vanquish: Fast, frenetic, skill based third person shooting unlike anything else on the market

Bayonetta: A fine tuned combat system that is immensely satisfying to master as well as an infectious amount of good natured energy

Souls: Unique way of telling the story and lore, as well as the satisfaction that comes from mounting a seemingly insurmountable challenge

Nioh: Haven't played it myself, but presumably similar to Dark Souls as well as having a generally neat Japanese vibe

Not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion, just letting you know what others see in them.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

Uncharted 2. It's a pretty good 3rd person shooter, but the platforming is bland and that part was the main reason I bought the game.

Most CoDs. I've only played a few, but they all got old quick.

nomadic8280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By nomadic8280
Member since 2017 • 476 Posts

I don't get the dislike for Witcher 3, particularly the combat. Its smooth and fun. Everything about this game is, to me, fantastic. Great on the X1X for the performance mode.

Bush_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bush_Dog
Member since 2017 • 294 Posts

Skyrim. Kinda bland for me.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RSM-HQ
@nomadic8280 said:

I don't get the dislike for Witcher 3, particularly the combat. Its smooth and fun. Everything about this game is, to me, fantastic. Great on the X1X for the performance mode.

It's great that you enjoy the game but who are you TW3 fanbois kidding, and do you openly ignore all of Witcher 3's flaws? The combat was never that good, and was never what made the game enjoyable, no better hardware fixes that (even high-end P.C.), though sick of re-explaining why. So instead I'll copy and paste this-

the implementation of the combat system is clunky and unresponsive. and blocking parrying dodging are a pretty common mechanic across Action games, TW3 doesn't do this in an interesting or good way, just rehashes a system long used in PoP and games that copy its format. The overall combat is very simplistic and there's not much variety in sword fighting especially against humans. People like to compare it with Dark Souls which also has a simplistic combat system and rightfully so, they're both ARPG's! However the difference is that DkS is very responsive especially the 3rd one where movement and attacks are just top notch.

The combat in TW3 is average or below, stating "it's better than Skyrim combat" isn't a compliment either when games like Nioh, MH, and DkS exist. That's just the way it is. It's glitchy, choppy, and inconsistent. Everybody here has been frustrated with the combat going wrong because of the game's own design. CDPR knows it too; why we had so many QOL patches that did little to no help anyway_

Combat has always been the weakness of the series. Witcher 3 is the one game that makes it somewhat serviceable, but it still pales in comparison to games that actually put huge emphasis on combat. Thankfully Witcher 3 has so much going on for it that average (not great) combat is just fine.

Just don't praise a games lowest aspect, it's dumb. Like stating Dark Souls has great side quests, when they all suck, and implemented terribly.

It's not a failing on the game, yet to think it's better than it actually is; is seemingly a mindset of buyers remorse.

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TiggyTog

@RSM-HQ: Thats not what I meant, I thought I made it clear enough.

When I say "Cool", I mean the game looked cool to you, not the cover art :/

Update: I found the third piece, whoop whoop. Seamoth is now built and it's incredibly awesome.

On topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO.

I just could net get into it no matter how hard I tried, I got mid-way through it but... it just was me trying to get into it when I couldn't.

EnterNations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 EnterNations
Member since 2018 • 4 Posts

confused

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#37 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

All 3 Witcher games. I honestly can't explain it but i tried playing all of them and couldn't finish any of them. I just lost interest. On the other hand, I love the Dragon Age games. Make of that what you will.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RSM-HQ

@tiggytog: Yeah, looking back my message seemed more aggro than intended, The Witcher 3 comment is on point because I'm sick of TW3 fans always ignoring how flawed the combat is. But I'll try and rephrase my original message_

Usually I'm more open to jump in if it's a genre I like, director I usually find makes decent games, or developer/ publishers that I usually find also making games I like.

As stated, I'm not trying to tell people how to think, if some judge a game on looks, sometimes that's the winning ticket, many games have looked good and played good.

However, I can't get involved with this discussion without being untruthful; as I've never based a game solely on presentation or visuals. And usually see that (visual lure) as a bad sign if that's all people can praise about a game.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Battlefield 3 it was decent but it was dumbed down compared to Battlefield 2 also kinda depressing this was the last game me and my clan played together in 2012. After that we all kinda of went are separate ways and MP gaming for me has been pretty much dead ever since.

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#40  Edited By lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

@lembu90 said:

Final Fantasy XV. It looks good but sadly it abandoned the turn-based battle and lack of permanent playable female characters turned me away from it. For me FF have been always about diverse characters went to adventure with turn-based battle. Not some group of K-Pop boyband wannabes slashing anything in their way.

I feel exactly the same. And what on earth were they smoking when they developed these combat mechanics? The skill system is clunky and none of the choices you make in the skill tree seem appealing or useful.

The characters are bland and boring. There is way too much focus on the visuals and the presentation. The game has absolutely no soul. It has product placement for camping equipment. Crazy.

And the intro cinematic, which lasts 2 hours, is a separate download and costs 20 bucks.

I'm replaying XII and I gotta say, the last 10 years have not been kind to Square-Enix. XIII and up have been very confusing releases.

The next Final Fantasy opus is going to be a hard sell for a lot of fans, I believe.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Series like Fallout & Elder Scroll's come to mind.

JackBurton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#44 JackBurton
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts

Skyrim and Fallout 4 -- and any future game developed by Bethesda Game Studios.

BGS has become a world-building studio, developing templates for modders -- seemingly clueless that the inclusion of rpg elements does not make an actual RPG.

If a game must be modded to be enjoyable, then it's not a good game.

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TiggyTog

@JackBurton: FallOut 4 and Skyrim have been enjoyed by many without guns.