Gamers, are you excited for VR [Virtual Reality] this year? Will it be the next big thing for gaming?

• 107 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56155 Posts

It's 2016 which means big techs are on the horizon [not the PS4 game mind you, but that's another story] so let's see. We have Oculus Rift, PlayStation VR, [codename:Project Morpheus] and HTC Vive. 3 VR techs that will bring gaming into reality. We also have MS HoloLens, but however, HoloLens isn't meant for gaming at all but rather a field reality related for activities, a holographic images display so I don't expected to play games on it for a very long time. So this brings the questions, are you looking forward to VR in the upcoming years? I'm looking forward to Oculus Rift and HoloLens so that's got my attention, PlayStation VR looks promising and will show how VR handles on consoles but the game: Rigs: Mechanized Combat League looks promising when using PlayStation VR so that got my attention from E3 2015. Update: Samsung Gear VR is already out and from what I heard, it's comfortable to wear and already getting VR to a jump start.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#2 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

VR is a gimmick.

So not really that interested in VR, but i may test it out if the chance comes and they are cheap enough.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

I kinda doubt it, for the sake the VR has been a recurring thing since the 80ties and have never been much more then a slight gimmick and brief flash of an attempt.

If it does actually managed to hold on this time however, I do see it being the most popular when it comes to first person driving/flying games. like Elite Dangerous. Where the character model is fixed in a seated position and it is essentially just their head that has full mobility.

Things like first person shooters and such however I suspect it won't last due to how they'd either have the gun follow where you look, which will lose immersion since your body will be able to tell that your arms are facing forward holding a controller, and not on your right or left side when you look in that direction, Or split it so you look around but the weapon crosshair needs to be moved into your view for you to be able to shoot what you're looking at. That will be very irritating for many I suspect.

Shrek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shrek
Member since 2015 • 387 Posts

This is stupid. VR has been out already for the past three years. And with huge success already and plenty of top-tier games.

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 Nirogol
Member since 2015 • 511 Posts

As the 3D gaming gimmick collapse this Virtual "Money juicer" Reality will.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@shrek said:

This is stupid. VR has been out already for the past three years. And with huge success already and plenty of top-tier games.

That is true that VR has been here for the past years, but the one's I mention above will most likely push VR even higher then what it is now. This is very interesting to see what other VR techs can do this year.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

The average core gamer plays for about 3 hours a day (about 20 hours a week). Can you picture yourself using a VR headset as a primary gaming device for 3 hours a day without incurring in chronic eyestrains and headaches? If the answer is no, then the VR fad will likely come and go for you, as basic human limitations will force you to either go back to the usual TV/monitor or drastically reduce your gaming time.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178850 Posts

I am not. Much like 3D I think it's a gimmick.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I don't know the names of the games yet but I saw a dinosaur one that looked like it had potential. I think I saw an underwater one as well. I'd enjoy a space related one and I think Ace Combat 7 could have potential.

I have the same feeling towards today's VR attempts as I did in the 90's with Nintendo's Virtual Boy; I'm excited about the possibilities but realize it won't deliver the experience we're looking for. VR will ultimately fail; PSVR, Oculous, and any others. The cost will be to high and the support will be too low; both consumer and developer support.

I more than likely won't buy the PSVR until a year or two after release or when it goes on sale to clear shelf space. I'm curious on how it plays but won't be a supporter until I see developer support for many titles spanning more than two years of releases.

Seanh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Seanh
Member since 2015 • 203 Posts

@Telekill said:

I don't know the names of the games yet but I saw a dinosaur one that looked like it had potential. I think I saw an underwater one as well. I'd enjoy a space related one and I think Ace Combat 7 could have potential.

I have the same feeling towards today's VR attempts as I did in the 90's with Nintendo's Virtual Boy; I'm excited about the possibilities but realize it won't deliver the experience we're looking for. VR will ultimately fail; PSVR, Oculous, and any others. The cost will be to high and the support will be too low; both consumer and developer support.

I more than likely won't buy the PSVR until a year or two after release or when it goes on sale to clear shelf space. I'm curious on how it plays but won't be a supporter until I see developer support for many titles spanning more than two years of releases.

This is sort of how I feel about it. There is a great deal of potential, but because various factors I think we will just end up with a load of ''on rails'' games.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44234 Posts

I think it'll be cool and will work very well with some game genres but there are other genres where it won't work well and I think it's too isolating in that users have all their viewing confined in the headset. I'm much more interested in Augmented Reality myself.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Gamers, are you excited for VR [Virtual Reality] this year? Will it be the next big thing for gaming?

No and no.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@davillain-: Thanks for clarifying what "VR" stands for or I would have been completely lost... ;)

I am excited for VR and what it has to offer. I get why people view it as a gimmick with 3D, but there are some huge differences between what 3D has to offer versus VR. As mentioned, games where you pilot a vehicle like driving or space/flight sims are great candidates for VR or any other game where "headlook" is independent of aiming or movement direction. Elite Dangerous works great with the current gen VR stuff, although the resolution is a bit low relative to the text side on the Oculus DK2.

The Hololense is something pretty different, though. It's more like a full computer that you were on your head, and because of that it's significantly more expensive (3k for a dev kit right now).

-Byshop

Shrek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Shrek
Member since 2015 • 387 Posts

@davillain-: The only serious product besides Oculus Rift is PS Morpheus, but even that has nothing but gimmick games. If you are just now getting excited for VR, then I'm not interested in your reasons.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a8bd934e042e
deactivated-5a8bd934e042e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5a8bd934e042e
Member since 2010 • 93 Posts

After receiving the Samsung Gear VR for Christmas (you should add that one to the list), and playing the games "Land's End" and "Eve: Gunjack" I went from being unsure what to expect and a little skeptical to being completely sold on the tech. I am a believer now.

If this is what VR can do regarding immersion on the lower end of spectrum, (using passive content), I can't wait to see what the higher end systems can do. Sign me up, the future is now and it is GLORIOUS. There is no going back from this... Playstation VR, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive... BRING IT! More, more, more!

I am now convinced there are two types of people in this world - Those that are excited for VR and those who haven't tried it yet. : )

Seriously, VR may not be for everyone, but it definitely is for me.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

I am excited for it, but I need a new rig. And I'm thinking that it's best to wait for Pascal and then let it drop a bit. I also want to wait for some more software + Oculus Touch. So maybe late this year? But tbh I think the real breakthrough is still a few years away.

And not just for gaming I wanna try stuff like this :). (Btw imagine controlling your vacuum cleaner in VR lol)

Loading Video...

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17  Edited By Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

Eve

I don't know if it will be good. I am praying it is nice

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Have yet to try one and am skeptical, but I plan on getting one of the various Vr headsets for Star citizen at some point.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22379 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:

The average core gamer plays for about 3 hours a day (about 20 hours a week). Can you picture yourself using a VR headset as a primary gaming device for 3 hours a day without incurring in chronic eyestrains and headaches? If the answer is no, then the VR fad will likely come and go for you, as basic human limitations will force you to either go back to the usual TV/monitor or drastically reduce your gaming time.

Yeah this is my concern... Even if VR is amazing (I haven't tried it yet so can't comment), I just can't see myself playing games for long periods wearing it.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

First off I call those 3d goggles. I do not even consider them to have anything to do with virtual reality.

I am more afraid since it does not truly offer anything to game but some many will try to sell on it. I mean Immersion is something subjective can can not be measured and have got in the way of good game play. From a game stand point it offer less that the Wii offer and look at the minor changes that did.

I can see it harming gaming more that helping it.

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

@wiouds: have you actually used it to say this?

I've had people similar stuff and then go on to try roller coster and come back with their mind changed

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Byshop  Moderator

@Berserker1_5 said:

I've had people similar stuff and then go on to try roller coster and come back with their mind changed

Yeah, current gen VR is really like The Matrix. You can't be "told" what it's like. You have actually try it for yourself to really understand.

That said, I think that if VR succeeds it will do so in a similar fashion to mobile. If you looked at mobile games when they first came about (or even handheld games), the initial reaction was "what's the point? These will just be crappier versions of the games we already have on the real platforms", but mobile took off on its own based on the strength of a whole new wave of games that were designed specifically for the mobile platform. While there will be some overlap between mainstream games that have VR support (racing games, flight/space sims) and VR designed games that can be played without VR, I think VR will work based on the new types of games that we will start seeing for it as opposed to shoehorning VR support into current games.

-Byshop

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By wiouds

@Byshop said:
@Berserker1_5 said:

Yeah, current gen VR is really like The Matrix. You can't be "told" what it's like. You have actually try it for yourself to really understand.

That said, I think that if VR succeeds it will do so in a similar fashion to mobile. If you looked at mobile games when they first came about (or even handheld games), the initial reaction was "what's the point? These will just be crappier versions of the games we already have on the real platforms", but mobile took off on its own based on the strength of a whole new wave of games that were designed specifically for the mobile platform. While there will be some overlap between mainstream games that have VR support (racing games, flight/space sims) and VR designed games that can be played without VR, I think VR will work based on the new types of games that we will start seeing for it as opposed to shoehorning VR support into current games.

-Byshop

After using the 3d goggles (I refuse to say they has anything to do with VR) for a bit I see it more as shoehorning into games. It offers so little to change to games, It offers less than motion control. Movement of the head is all it offer if you look thing not subjective like immersion. I can see makers force games to be first person because of the 3d goggles and few games truly benefits from being first person.

Seanh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Seanh

@Byshop said:
@Berserker1_5 said:

-Byshop

I can see your point about the whole 'Matrix' thing, however they are really only just goggles with a screen on them - So from an immersion point of view, first person sim games (driving, flying etc) would be pretty good if done right, but it's still just going to be the same as what is on your TV screen only really close to your head so you can't see anything else, and with the added bonus (or annoyance, depending on how you look at it) of being able to move your head to look around.

Your point about mobile gaming has some mileage to it, however you're missing a key point with that whole platform. The accessibility is insane. You can buy an amazing game for under £5, and thats it, as you already have the hardware in which to play it and almost everyone browsing games on the App Store would not really have an issue with spending two or three pounds or dollars on a game - It's sort of like a non issue really because if it turns out to be a poor game, they've only wasted a few £ / $ - No biggie.

These VR systems will be rather expensive. I read somewhere that Sony are classing their set almost like another console in terms of price, so immediately you have a huge barrier to adoption, which worries me, as developers do not like barriers to platforms which will lead to less choice, and perhaps, less quality. My concerns are also not helped at all by extremely underwhelming and ridiculous game announcements like Job Simulator confirmed for PS4 VR so already before the kit is even released, I feel a but ''meh'' about it.

As regards to 'shoehorning' - I think we will see more of that than you think. It will most certainly be like the 3D implantation into games - half arsed. It was sort of only done as token gesture, (like on Killzone for PS4) because the devs knew that not enough people had a 3D TV so why put in millions into the technology when there wouldn't be the significant return on investment. Same for PS Move. Same for Kinect, same for the PS4 Camera and it'll be the same for VR to a degree.

I think right now, with technology in general and with gaming technology twe are taking too many steps forward without mastering what is currently available. I mean, we had games in 3D a couple of years ago and we still haven't even managed to make all games run smoothly in 1080p and by the time VR comes out, that will still be the case. It's the same with TV - they want us all to buy into 4K TV's now, yet in the UK, we barely have anything broadcast above 720p, maybe 10 - 20% of programming and of that, the amount of stuff broadcast in 4K is in single digits - And HDTV has been available for a really long time now.

So, VR - Good idea / concept but i think like all the rest, it'll be poorly executed and not fulfilled to it's potential and by the time we'll have the devs making sufficient progress with it, the next generation of consoles will be on the horizon and it'll be old tech. I like to keep an open mind - Even though the above is mostly against VR, I can see the potential benefits but I just don't think it'll be done right and I also think it's too early for them.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

As i have said since i first saw the kickstarter from Oculus about 4 years ago, VR will succeed this time around because of the cheap entry pricepoint for the mainstream consumers and the fact that there is such a massive marketing power behind this tech from huge companies that are convinced that this technology will take gaming to an whole other level. This tech will not only take gaming to an whole other level but also the movie industry, entertainment industry, educational purposes, science, communications, etc... The potential for this technology is mindblowing and Im sure most of you who are sceptical about VR now will be owning a VR headset within 5 years time.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Byshop  Moderator

@wiouds said:

After using the 3d goggles (I refuse to say they has anything to do with VR) for a bit I see it more as shoehorning into games. It offers so little to change to games, It offers less than motion control. Movement of the head is all it offer if you look thing not subjective like immersion. I can see makers force games to be first person because of the 3d goggles and few games truly benefits from being first person.

This is kind of like saying "I don't need to look at artwork because I already know what paint looks like". Sure, it's not an apples to oranges comparison because stereoscopic 3D is an element of the total number of effects that make up VR, but the difference between that VR does and what 3D does is night and day. Again, though, it's hard to describe because if you haven't tried it you have no frame of reference.

@seanh:

"I can see your point about the whole 'Matrix' thing, however they are really only just goggles with a screen on them - So from an immersion point of view, first person sim games (driving, flying etc) would be pretty good if done right, but it's still just going to be the same as what is on your TV screen only really close to your head so you can't see anything else, and with the added bonus (or annoyance, depending on how you look at it) of being able to move your head to look around."

Yeah, this is the part that's hard to explain.

My interest in VR was piqued when I saw all these Youtube videos of people using VR headsets and going through rollercoaster demos falling out of their chairs. I was curious to know if this was happened because VR is that cool or because the people in these videos are all spazzes. After trying it out myself, I'd say it's about 50/50. The effect -is- extremely convincing. It's really the head tracking that "sells" the effect to your brain. Without head tracking, the effect is very much as you say. You feel like you have a screen strapped to your face. It fills your vision and blocks out everything but the game image, but that's not really the whole story. With head/3d positional tracking added onto that, the effect changes from "screen on my face" to "I am somewhere else". The fact that every aspect of the perspective changes with the slightest movement of your head in any direction makes the whole thing feel very natural and real. Even before you put on the goggles, you can see a different place through the lenses that stays perfectly still on the other side of the glass while you move the headset around.

While playing Alien Isolation with the DK2, I heard a noise behind me. I jumped and spun around to see a Working Joe behind me sitting at a previously dark workstation (this was before they go all homicidal). I realized just after that happened that -I- heard a noise behind me and -I- turned around, not that I spun my character in the game. The level of immersion that you get from these things is insane. Even just these little cheesy horror tech demos that spring up on Steam Early Access and Oculus Share, games that would barely be a blip on the radar were they not VR, and be extremely unsettling.

"Your point about mobile gaming has some mileage to it, however you're missing a key point with that whole platform. The accessibility is insane."

I'm not saying that VR will reach anywhere near the level of market penetration that mobile gaming has, only that if it succeeds it'll be based on new experiences designed specifically with VR in mind from the ground up as opposed to just tacking VR onto something like Call of Duty. VR will still be a "hobbiest" toy much like HOTAS setups are for the sim crowd, but with more general appeal than what I just described.

"As regards to 'shoehorning' - I think we will see more of that than you think. It will most certainly be like the 3D implantation into games - half arsed. It was sort of only done as token gesture, (like on Killzone for PS4) because the devs knew that not enough people had a 3D TV so why put in millions into the technology when there wouldn't be the significant return on investment. Same for PS Move. Same for Kinect, same for the PS4 Camera and it'll be the same for VR to a degree."

I have all of the technologies you mentioned, and with just about all of them there are pretty obvious reasons why they didn't take off. 3D isn't bad but adding the illusion of depth doesn't really do much to add to the expreience relative to the inconvenience of the "wearable tech" it requires. Xbox Kinect gave you a significantly less precise control scheme in exchange for the novelty of being able to play without a controller, which was a terrible tradeoff. PS Move was far more precise, but it didn't really give you any significant advantage over playing with a controller and came at the cost of user fatigue. With VR, though, it's doing something pretty different from anything that was done before as opposed to replacing a perfectly good control scheme with a crappier one.

"These VR systems will be rather expensive. I read somewhere that Sony are classing their set almost like another console in terms of price, so immediately you have a huge barrier to adoption, which worries me, as developers do not like barriers to platforms which will lead to less choice, and perhaps, less quality. My concerns are also not helped at all by extremely underwhelming and ridiculous game announcements like Job Simulator confirmed for PS4 VR so already before the kit is even released, I feel a but ''meh'' about it."

There are certainly a lot of mediocre, thrown togehter VR tech demos out there but it's still pretty early. Oculus is literally shipping their 1.0 SDK only now and throughout the process they introduced at least one breaking change (in the 0.7 SDK) that required all previously developed games to have to be refactored. From this point forward, though, I expect we'll start seeing better and more interesting stuff. Eve Valkerie, Technolust, NewRetroArcade, and many others are either out now in some form or are coming out shortly. I have beta access to Technolust and that game is a blast even in its early form. It's like walking around in a William Gibson novel.

The big difference I see between VR and stuff like just normal 3D is that 3D was just never that impressive. You could show 3D to someone who is otherwise pretty much a Luddite and generally speaking people don't have much of a reaction to it. It's neat for a few minutes, but even with my passive 3D LG TV that uses polarized lenses like the movie theaters instead of the heavy active LCD 3D glasses I can barely get my wife to watch a movie with me in 3D. Sure, movies like Avatar or Gravity will blow people away in theaters but generally speaking most of the people I talk two prefer to watch even theaters movies in 2D because they don't want the hassle of the classes or think the effect warrants the additional ticket price.

With my experiences with VR, it has been exactly the opposite. Everyone I've shown my DK2 to has been absolutely blown away by it because it's so different from anything they have tried before. My father in law, who used to be into tech but now has retired to do woodwork and views computers as a necessary evil rather than a passtime, was very impressed. His wife, who is clausterphobic, gave it a shot and was amazed to find that it actually had the opposite effect on her because the "virtual" room was larger than the room she was actually in. I turn 40 this year, and -my- godmother was so blown away she didn't want to take it off. I have yet to show VR to anyone who has had a reaction like "meh, that's kinda neat". Everyone I know who has tried it (even people who aren't into computers -or- games) has had a reaction more like "wow, this is fucking crazy!" and I think that's telling.

-Byshop

Seanh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Seanh

@Byshop: Fair enough, good points there. I suppose i will keep an open mind and you've just reinforced that.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Byshop  Moderator

@seanh said:

@Byshop: Fair enough, good points there. I suppose i will keep an open mind and you've just reinforced that.

If you get a chance to try it, I would highly recommend it. I have no idea if VR will succeed but I can see some big differences between it and the gimmicks that came before it. I really hope it takes off, though, because some of the early stuff I have for it even now is just amazing.

-Byshop

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@Byshop: That was a nice read on VR. Yes it's still a new thing, I hope it won't be that expensive, especially coming from Sony's VR which it shouldn't be price higher then PS4 itself. I think MS HoloLens looks cool and definitely will follow up how it does well. E3 2016, I would like to see more vids on VR on the show.

@Bushido415 said:

After receiving the Samsung Gear VR for Christmas (you should add that one to the list), and playing the games "Land's End" and "Eve: Gunjack" I went from being unsure what to expect and a little skeptical to being completely sold on the tech. I am a believer now.

If this is what VR can do regarding immersion on the lower end of spectrum, (using passive content), I can't wait to see what the higher end systems can do. Sign me up, the future is now and it is GLORIOUS. There is no going back from this... Playstation VR, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive... BRING IT! More, more, more!

I am now convinced there are two types of people in this world - Those that are excited for VR and those who haven't tried it yet. : )

Seriously, VR may not be for everyone, but it definitely is for me.

Yeah thanks for that, I'll add Samsung Gear VR to the list.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By wiouds

@Byshop: Those 3D goggle have little to do with virtual reality. Saying the 3d goggles are important to virtual reality is like saying a water wheel is important to a plane unless VR stand for view realistically.

The biggest problem is the 3d truly offer less than most gimmicks like motion control or touch pads. What do they offer other than subjective things like feeling of immersion?

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

It'll come and go like 3d tv

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Byshop  Moderator

@wiouds said:

@Byshop: Those 3D goggle have little to do with virtual reality. Saying the 3d goggles are important to virtual reality is like saying a water wheel is important to a plane unless VR stand for view realistically.

The biggest problem is the 3d truly offer less than most gimmicks like motion control or touch pads. What do they offer other than subjective things like feeling of immersion?

I'm not clear on what you're talking about.

-Byshop

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

vr is definitely the future. ive been using gearvr for a long time now, it is so fun to show new people.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#34 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@MethodManFTW said:

vr is definitely the future. ive been using gearvr for a long time now, it is so fun to show new people.

I can't say it is the future. Like all tech gimmicks, it may be fun to show off to new people, but some don't stick. I don't see this VR headsets sticking. Motion control did not become standard. 3D did not become standard. VR will not be standard, It will be a supplemental experience just as every tech gimmick that preceded it has.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MethodManFTW

@JustPlainLucas said:
@MethodManFTW said:

I can't say it is the future. Like all tech gimmicks, it may be fun to show off to new people, but some don't stick. I don't see this VR headsets sticking. Motion control did not become standard. 3D did not become standard. VR will not be standard, It will be a supplemental experience just as every tech gimmick that preceded it has.

i'm not like a futurist, but i see VR being the standard in 10-20 years.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MethodManFTW

when the headsets are more like sunglasses than big bulky headsets.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Byshop  Moderator

@JustPlainLucas said:
@MethodManFTW said:

It's too expensive to be mainstream, plus the general resistance to "wearable tech" overall, but I don't think it'll go away because it's too innovative. I think it'll be an enthusiast accessory like force feedback steering wheels or HOTAS flight sticks. These are all accessories that do well within their niche even though they'll never replace standard controllers or mouse/kb combos.

-Byshop

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#38 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@MethodManFTW said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@MethodManFTW said:

I can't.

@MethodManFTW said:

Because even then, with all the push film studios have done with 3D movies, they still are not the standard choice. It has everything to do with the viewer having to put something over their eyes. Even if VR set were as light as the flimsy 3D glasses of yesteryear, the adoption rate will never be high enough because most people simply don't like having to wear an accessory all the time to watch a film. And until the weight is reduced you are going to have people who don't want to wear cumbersome headgear where it can induce neck strain or the screen can induce eyestrain. Even if you make a screen that reduces eyestrain, you will never eliminate eyestrain. 3D has the unfortunate side effect of inducing headaches in some people, and these people will never watch movies in 3D, and because of that reason alone, 3D cannot be the standard. Same with VR. There are inherent physical limitations to to the tech, not because of the tech, but because of the user, that will prevent it from becoming a standard. The fact that once you put something over your eyes it disconnects you from reality will be enough to deter some people away. They don't want to be isolated by what's happening around them in their rooms, and social gamers will never adopt this, because it cuts off the physical interaction of their gaming friends completely. It will be fascinating tech in the future, as a supplemental experience, but I can guarantee you it will never become the standard.

@Byshop said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@MethodManFTW said:

It's too expensive to be mainstream, plus the general resistance to "wearable tech" overall, but I don't think it'll go away because it's too innovative. I think it'll be an enthusiast accessory like force feedback steering wheels or HOTAS flight sticks. These are all accessories that do well within their niche even though they'll never replace standard controllers or mouse/kb combos.

-Byshop

Not saying it will go away. Hell, even motion gaming is still around, and that won't be going away. They're developing motion controls specifically for these VR headsets. VR has been around since the late 80s I believe, and it will never go away. I'm just saying it will never be adopted on a level high enough to be considered the norm.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Byshop  Moderator

@JustPlainLucas said:

Not saying it will go away. Hell, even motion gaming is still around, and that won't be going away. They're developing motion controls specifically for these VR headsets. VR has been around since the late 80s I believe, and it will never go away. I'm just saying it will never be adopted on a level high enough to be considered the norm.

Well, motion control practically -is- dead outside the VR space. Sony released literally one PS Move exclusive game in 2014 and 2013 each. Microsoft has all but abandoned Kinect even on next gen. Technically VR has existed since the 80s but I wouldn't say it's "been around" because after the initial development of the 80s arcade VR nobody was developing for it nor was there any mainstream support in any shape or form. That, plus the VR that we have today is so significantly different from what they had in the 80s that the name is almost all they have in common. By comparison, high end accessories like steering wheels and HOTAS setups have been continually supported throughout by sim games and even arcade games.

-Byshop

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

not for gaming. we all saw where Kinect went. maybe for porn though...

DrSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DrSpoon
Member since 2015 • 628 Posts

Am interested to see how it develops but as a technology am not that keen to be honest. As for it being the next big thing for gaming, I doubt it unless they can capture a large enough user base.

koolyoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 koolyoe
Member since 2005 • 175 Posts

I'll Pass.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17663 Posts

I'm incredibly excited for VR, though strangely not too interested in its use for gaming (aside from Star Citizen and DCS modules). I'm looking forward to areas such a tourism, to see what Google does with it, to watch movies custom made for it (imagine playing Gravity), but most of all, am looking forward to the creative tools it will enable, such as Oculus Medium and Tilt Brush. Can't wait.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 wiouds

@Byshop said:
@wiouds said:

I'm not clear on what you're talking about.

-Byshop

I do not believe that 3D goggle have anything to do with virtual reality.

What do the 3D goggles offer that is not subjective like the feeling of immersion?

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10457 Posts

rift pre-order available from jan 6...

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/oculus-rift-pre-orders-to-open-on-jan-6/

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Could not care less about VR right now. Call me when someone creates a fully functioning Holodeck from Star Trek.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

@wiouds: Why do you keep calling it 3D googles when everyone else calls it VR? :) It's not like the 3d glasses you get at the cinemas, it's more like Virtual Reality;)

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Byshop  Moderator

@ojmstr said:

@wiouds: Why do you keep calling it 3D googles when everyone else calls it VR? :) It's not like the 3d glasses you get at the cinemas, it's more like Virtual Reality;)

Yeah, I'm not 100% clear on what he's talking about either and when I asked him to clarify he just repeated himself.

-Byshop

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MethodManFTW

@JustPlainLucas said:
@MethodManFTW said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@MethodManFTW said:

I can't.

@MethodManFTW said:

Because even then, with all the push film studios have done with 3D movies, they still are not the standard choice. It has everything to do with the viewer having to put something over their eyes. Even if VR set were as light as the flimsy 3D glasses of yesteryear, the adoption rate will never be high enough because most people simply don't like having to wear an accessory all the time to watch a film. And until the weight is reduced you are going to have people who don't want to wear cumbersome headgear where it can induce neck strain or the screen can induce eyestrain. Even if you make a screen that reduces eyestrain, you will never eliminate eyestrain. 3D has the unfortunate side effect of inducing headaches in some people, and these people will never watch movies in 3D, and because of that reason alone, 3D cannot be the standard. Same with VR. There are inherent physical limitations to to the tech, not because of the tech, but because of the user, that will prevent it from becoming a standard. The fact that once you put something over your eyes it disconnects you from reality will be enough to deter some people away. They don't want to be isolated by what's happening around them in their rooms, and social gamers will never adopt this, because it cuts off the physical interaction of their gaming friends completely. It will be fascinating tech in the future, as a supplemental experience, but I can guarantee you it will never become the standard.

@Byshop said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@MethodManFTW said:

-Byshop

That is a lot of typing for something we have no way of knowing. We will see though, I would definitely venture to say I'll be right here, but until I develop a crystal ball I can't say for sure if I'm right or if you're right.