Gameplay vs Story

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Do you want a good story with your gameplay, but the gameplay suffering. Or vice versa. And for which genre's?

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#2 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

ideally, a video games would have neither "suffer." Gameplay should always take precedent before story in a game though. 

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#3 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Gameplay is more important in general although I will accept a sub-par gaming experience if there's a decent story in an adventure game or RPG. Most of the time this is true anyway as adventure games have pretty poor gameplay at best. JRPGs tread a weird middle ground and often have both poor stories and repetitive gameplay, though I can forgive one if the other is strong. For everything else, gameplay first, as you have to play the game. Whether the story is good or not is just a bonus - if it's not good at least give me the option to skip cutscenes.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I do like both and then they help each other out.

I do find myself hating the moral pick that are getting added to more stories of games. It is mainly in RPG and the reason for this is that they are reduce the role playing through the game play for a pick your own adventure and pretending to be the character.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#5 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
i don't see it as an either/or choice. good storytelling improves gameplay. it only comes down to picking between the two when developers have them as distinct parts of the game. with good design, the mechanics you're interacting with serve the story or theme of the game rather than some ridiculous idea of what good gameplay of the genre should be. for example, "good" controls for steering a horse are supposedly measured in how responsive they are. basically, a bad storyteller would make the horse turn on a dime. however, a good storyteller (and i think a good designer) would instead focus on how much the horse acts like a horse. there should be sway in the steering, things that interest it, and it should even disobey commands if it perceives danger.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Gameplay is better than story because ideally gameplay allows the player to create his own story. 

Example: The actual story in Skyrim sucks. The back story I gave my Argonian and the way I controlled him in the world was pretty awesome.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I need both.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#8 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Gameplay is better than story because ideally gameplay allows the player to create his own story. 

Example: The actual story in Skyrim sucks. The back story I gave my Argonian and the way I controlled him in the world was pretty awesome.

IndianaPwns39

That's a nice way to put it. I would give story a little more importance though. Deadly Premonition had clunky controls and gameplay, but the story and characters were off the chart. I called it a masterpiece, just for its story-sake. Same with the Bioshock franchise. I remember and cherish it for its setting and stroy, despite the average gameplay to be honest.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44365 Posts
For me games I enjoy are generally the sum of their parts so I can overlook flaws in aspects of a game if my interest in the other area or areas are sufficient enough to comphensate for it. I can easily enjoy a game more for it's story then it's gameplay or vice-a-versa.
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#10 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

I would like the game to be strong in both areas.

Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
For me it's story, I don't have the time I did as a kid so I play all my games on easy anyway. To me games are more of a relaxing thought provoking thing. So I'd rather have a strong emphasis placed on story.
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22401 Posts
Both are equally important to me... I find if I play a game with awesome gameplay but the story is lacking, I'll slowly grow bored of it (Mark of the Ninja is a good example). I need a good story to engage me in the game.
bagelrj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bagelrj
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
In fps games it seems like the story is often completely disregarded, (COD) but i would actually like to see FPS games with good stories, maybe at the expense of gameplay
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

As long as I'm having fun I don't care.

...but since in order to really have fun you have to good gameplay then I'll go for gameplay over story any day.

Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Big_Red_Button
Member since 2005 • 6094 Posts

Story is extraneous. A game can have an amazing story, but it isn't vital. Gameplay is 100% vital; bad gameplay, bad game, period.

A good game can have a bad story, a good game absolutely cannot have bad gameplay. Story is like graphics, music, that sort of thing; it can make a good game great, but can't make a bad game good.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

If I want a compelling narrative I'll read a novel or watch a film.

I game specifically for interactivity and the ability to forge my own tale using the actions and mechanics afforded to me by the malleability of the gaming construct.

That isn't to state that games cannot enjoy a good story but generally speaking most games employ narratives that are derivative and redundant, utilizing tired tropes and clichés while vainly attempting to emulate film and literature.  

There has been a smattering of games that spin a legitimately good yarn, specifically The Witcher 2 (based on a series of Polish novels) and the Legacy of Kain franchise. I also believe that games offer the unique ability to tell stories in a wholly divergent and dissimilar fashion than other mediums which is why developers need to focus on exploiting the strengths and uniqueness of their medium rather than trying to copy film and television.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#17 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

In the most well made games, the story is great without sacrificing gameplay.  Perfect example is Majora's Mask.  Incredible story/ atmosphere, told through natural gameplay progression.

Although, in an RPG, I'd rather have a stronger plot than unique gameplay (although, again, ideally there'd be both, like with Radiant Historia) because I can dig old school turn based battles.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts

It's all about the gameplay first and foremost. If I don't like it, I'm not playing the game. Story is just a bonus.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

This is how it is for me

-Good gameplay+good story= good game

-Good gameplay+bad story= good game

-Bad gameplay+good story= bad game

-Bad gameplay+bad story= bad game

A good story is just a bonus. A good game never needs it.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Both perfectly intertwined is what makes for a truly outstanding game. Just have to Think about "The Witcher" which I'm playing again now and I think it does it perfectly.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 The_Last_Ride
i like gameplay more mostly because the story often isn't as good in games. But if the story is really great then the gameplay can take a little step back
LordShockTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LordShockTitan
Member since 2013 • 218 Posts

Gameplay

Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Big_Red_Button

Every single person saying story over gameplay needs to be legally barred from participating in video games ever again.

You think nobody could be that stupid and then bam.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wiouds

If I want a good story then I will read a book or watch a movie. Dispite that many believe game can not tell many stories better than book or movies.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Every single person saying story over gameplay needs to be legally barred from participating in video games ever again.

Big_Red_Button

Different people indulge in various forms of entertainment for different reasons. I really don't get all the hate for people who like their games to have good stories. Unless they believe that every single game should sacrifice gameplay over story (which they shouldn't). Or throw around overexaggerated and childish insults like you just did.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

EvilSelf

That's a nice way to put it. I would give story a little more importance though. Deadly Premonition had clunky controls and gameplay, but the story and characters were off the chart. I called it a masterpiece, just for its story-sake. Same with the Bioshock franchise. I remember and cherish it for its setting and stroy, despite the average gameplay to be honest.

Definitely. There are some games with fantastic stories and average gameplay that I still love. If I had to choose however, I'd take gameplay. 

I appreciate variety.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Grammaton-Cleric

Big_Red_Button

Despite agreeing with you that gameplay trumps story, your pseudo-hardcore shtick has become incredibly tiresome.

I respect ideologies even when they are not my own but militant extremism is dull and rarely yields much in the way of intelligent discourse.

So pretty please, calm thyself.

Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Big_Red_Button

[QUOTE="Big_Red_Button"]

Grammaton-Cleric

Despite agreeing with you that gameplay trumps story, your pseudo-hardcore shtick has become incredibly tiresome.

I respect ideologies even when they are not my own but militant extremism is dull and rarely yields much in the way of intelligent discourse.

But anon, I am calm.

Your pseudo-intellectual passive aggressive attempt to sound reasonable and intelligent is betrayed by your lack of passion or heart.

And you're ugly.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19590 Posts
I don't think you can say anything conclusive either way Sure, a game doesn't need any kind of story if the gameplay is good - Tetris is the perfect example of that. Even so, plenty of games with terrible gameplay (or no 'gameplay' at all, in the case of interactive novels/movies) can be carried by a great story - you keep playing through the crap because you want to know what happens next. Indeed, many of the games with the best stories tend to have poor gameplay - Planescape Torment might be the most popular example of that. Ideally, you'd want both to be strong and complement each other well. Metroid Prime might be a fine example of this - the story is told as kuch through the gameplay as it is through plot-dumping exposition. Failing that though, games can definitely be great with either a weak story or weak gameplay, so I don't really see the point in prioritising one or the other. It really depends on the game, and how it emphasises its strengths over its weaknesses. Also, I'd argue that you can't have a game that doesn't have both gameplay and a story. If gameplay is taken as a basic level of interaction (clicking), then without that, you've simply got movie or novel. Meanwhile, if a story is taken as something with a beginning/middle/end, then even something like Tetris would qualify there: you start off with a blank space, no score and a lot of blocks, and you have to struggle through the middle part (placing the blocks) to achieve the resolution (getting the highest score/failing/causing the Kremlin to launch off into space). It's rudimentary, but I figure that as long as there's a goal and some struggles to achieve it, you've got a story. Whereas without a goal (however minor it may be) or without something preventing the player from reaching that goal, you don't have a story and you don't have a game.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 The_Last_Ride

Big_Red_Button
There are some that prefer that, you got Walking Dead and Journey to an extent
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#31 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Big_Red_Button

Funny coming from a guy with an MGS avatar. (At least I believe it is)

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Grammaton-Cleric

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

[QUOTE="Big_Red_Button"]

Big_Red_Button

But anon, I am calm.

Your pseudo-intellectual passive aggressive attempt to sound reasonable and intelligent is betrayed by your lack of passion or heart.

And you're ugly.

Being called a pseudo-intellectual by somebody clearly fumbling over his thesaurus while trying to infuse his banal prose with as many college words as he can muster is gleefully ironic, though I appreciate the effort all the same.

I'm also rather pleased that you opted not to take the civil way out because I am going to enjoy shredding the excrement you call prose and argumentation into so much confetti.

I just trashed your pitiful DMC critique in another thread and I also took a rather eloquent dump on that infantile Bioshock diatribe you penned earlier so feel free to rebut, assuming you actually have something to contribute beyond the adolescent posturing of a hardcore-poser elitist.

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

[QUOTE="Big_Red_Button"]

Grammaton-Cleric

But anon, I am calm.

And you're ugly.

Being called a pseudo-intellectual by somebody clearly fumbling over his thesaurus while trying to infuse his banal prose with as many college words as he can muster is gleefully ironic, though I appreciate the effort all the same.

I'm also rather pleased that you opted not to take the civil way out because I am going to enjoy shredding the excrement you call prose and argumentation into so much confetti.

I just trashed your pitiful DMC critique in another thread and I also took a rather eloquent dump on that infantile Bioshock diatribe you penned earlier so feel free to rebut, assuming you actually have something to contribute beyond the adolescent posturing of a hardcore-poser elitist.

I love it when you talk dirty...

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Grammaton-Cleric

[QUOTE="Big_Red_Button"]

But anon, I am calm.

And you're ugly.

contracts420

I love it when you talk dirty...

I'm both flattered and creeped out. :P

Mostly flattered. ;)

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 wiouds

I do not believe that a game can be a game if it have limited amount of game play.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
[QUOTE="Planeforger"]I don't think you can say anything conclusive either way Sure, a game doesn't need any kind of story if the gameplay is good - Tetris is the perfect example of that. Even so, plenty of games with terrible gameplay (or no 'gameplay' at all, in the case of interactive novels/movies) can be carried by a great story - you keep playing through the crap because you want to know what happens next. Indeed, many of the games with the best stories tend to have poor gameplay - Planescape Torment might be the most popular example of that. Ideally, you'd want both to be strong and complement each other well. Metroid Prime might be a fine example of this - the story is told as kuch through the gameplay as it is through plot-dumping exposition. Failing that though, games can definitely be great with either a weak story or weak gameplay, so I don't really see the point in prioritising one or the other. It really depends on the game, and how it emphasises its strengths over its weaknesses. Also, I'd argue that you can't have a game that doesn't have both gameplay and a story. If gameplay is taken as a basic level of interaction (clicking), then without that, you've simply got movie or novel. Meanwhile, if a story is taken as something with a beginning/middle/end, then even something like Tetris would qualify there: you start off with a blank space, no score and a lot of blocks, and you have to struggle through the middle part (placing the blocks) to achieve the resolution (getting the highest score/failing/causing the Kremlin to launch off into space). It's rudimentary, but I figure that as long as there's a goal and some struggles to achieve it, you've got a story. Whereas without a goal (however minor it may be) or without something preventing the player from reaching that goal, you don't have a story and you don't have a game.

That is so true, however when somebody mentions gameplay or story its best to stick the general consesus of what people "think" it means rather than the actual definition. Why bring intelligence to a "dumb" fight ?
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 The_Last_Ride
[QUOTE="Planeforger"]I don't think you can say anything conclusive either way Sure, a game doesn't need any kind of story if the gameplay is good - Tetris is the perfect example of that. Even so, plenty of games with terrible gameplay (or no 'gameplay' at all, in the case of interactive novels/movies) can be carried by a great story - you keep playing through the crap because you want to know what happens next. Indeed, many of the games with the best stories tend to have poor gameplay - Planescape Torment might be the most popular example of that. Ideally, you'd want both to be strong and complement each other well. Metroid Prime might be a fine example of this - the story is told as kuch through the gameplay as it is through plot-dumping exposition. Failing that though, games can definitely be great with either a weak story or weak gameplay, so I don't really see the point in prioritising one or the other. It really depends on the game, and how it emphasises its strengths over its weaknesses. Also, I'd argue that you can't have a game that doesn't have both gameplay and a story. If gameplay is taken as a basic level of interaction (clicking), then without that, you've simply got movie or novel. Meanwhile, if a story is taken as something with a beginning/middle/end, then even something like Tetris would qualify there: you start off with a blank space, no score and a lot of blocks, and you have to struggle through the middle part (placing the blocks) to achieve the resolution (getting the highest score/failing/causing the Kremlin to launch off into space). It's rudimentary, but I figure that as long as there's a goal and some struggles to achieve it, you've got a story. Whereas without a goal (however minor it may be) or without something preventing the player from reaching that goal, you don't have a story and you don't have a game.

off course, but this is just what you prefer and what genre's i am not defining games saying ones is better then the other
GamerNerdTalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#38 GamerNerdTalk
Member since 2011 • 341 Posts

Story. I have played games that have been saved by the story, but few games that havent......

However; let me throw out the word "mechanics" when talking about a game. Mechanics are what I need in a game to enjoy. Good old solid mechanics 

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Story. I have played games that have been saved by the story, but few games that havent......

However; let me throw out the word "mechanics" when talking about a game. Mechanics are what I need in a game to enjoy. Good old solid mechanics

GamerNerdTalk

Don't mechanics fall under gameplay? I say they do without question. In fact, I'd say gameplay and "mechanics" are interchangeable

Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts

Story takes precedence for RPG's for me, gameplay for every other genre.

GamerNerdTalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#41 GamerNerdTalk
Member since 2011 • 341 Posts

[QUOTE="GamerNerdTalk"]

Pikminmaniac

Don't mechanics fall under gameplay? I say they do without question. In fact, I'd say gameplay and "mechanics" are interchangeable

Mechanics flow with both story and gameplay. How a story is told in relation to the gameplay. Take Journey or Shadow of the Colossus. The gameplay in those to games are relatable to the story that is being told. All well made games have the perfect relation. Mass Effect 3 (As much as I dislike the series) is a perfect example of how mechanics make the game a whole. I have played games that are fun, but are overall bad games
GreatExarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GreatExarch
If one's weak, the other one has to be good enough to make up for it. I've slogged through some mediocre gameplay to find out what happens next, and I've traversed a number of game worlds without the slightest bit of context (or a very flimsy one).
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 The_Last_Ride
[QUOTE="GreatExarch"]If one's weak, the other one has to be good enough to make up for it. I've slogged through some mediocre gameplay to find out what happens next, and I've traversed a number of game worlds without the slightest bit of context (or a very flimsy one).

that is true i would like a good story in RPG games
GreatExarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GreatExarch

that is true i would like a good story in RPG gamesThe_Last_Ride

I hate turn based RPG gameplay. I cannot stand it, and quit said games pretty quicky if they don't do something else to make up for it. With that said, I've beaten both Chrono Trigger and Earthbound without the slightest complaint because their story and personality overcame it. Ok, Chrono Trigger got a few complaints, but that can happen when bosses kill your party in one move on occasion.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

I prefer both but if I had to choose one, it would be gameplay. Dragon's Dogma for example, has a horrible story with snooze fest NPC's but the solid gameplay keeps me hooked. On the other hand games like Assassin's Creed 1, which had a good story but horrible gameplay was a chore for me to complete.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wiouds

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride that is true i would like a good story in RPG gamesGreatExarch

I hate turn based RPG gameplay. I cannot stand it, and quit said games pretty quicky if they don't do something else to make up for it. With that said, I've beaten both Chrono Trigger and Earthbound without the slightest complaint because their story and personality overcame it. Ok, Chrono Trigger got a few complaints, but that can happen when bosses kill your party in one move on occasion.

I love turn base RPG and many times find it much better than the ATB base combat like in Skyrim.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Both, but gameplay is more important overall. I've played some pretty mindless online games that really have no story, but fantastic gameplay.
idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

well the best games usually have both. good story and gameplay. i think the mass effect series is a perfect example of this. although these days i think story has become way more important judging by the fact that the walking dead won game of the year and it's barely a game.

SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 SupremeAC
Member since 2003 • 7561 Posts

I'd say I can enjoy games with good gameplay and near to no story, like Mario games or racers, or games with a good story but lesser gameplay.  Of course, if the gameplay's broken, I won't put up with it, no matter how good the story.

I feel that a game can be really good without the need for a story, so if a story is added, it better be either nonintrusive, or good.  Actually, I prefer games with little need for a story.  Mario, Ikaruga, PN.03, arcade racers, ...

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
My personal experience is that there are so few games with a great story and usually those games have strong game play. May not always be innovative gamplay but its always at least polished gameplay if the story is great. As gamers we tend to put more focus on gameplay because growing up we have grown accustomed to good gameplay with weak story. Nowadays I struggle to finish games unless it either has a good story or in depth character development so i can build my own story.