FF7, hands down the worst RPG I've ever played

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wantaballoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Wantaballoon
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
The music, the characters, the graphics and the bland battle system makes me wonder what it is about this game that is making people be all "Rolfcakes" about it. I've play loads of better RPG games like Sonic's RPG game for the DS, that was alot better IMO. Final Fantasy is just an overrated series in it's own right, I wish it kept to it's title and really WAS a Final Fantasy, which means no more games after this one.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

I also don't like the Final Fantasy series, but I've played far, far worse RPG games than FF7 or any other FF game for that matter.

Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts

The worst? Really? >_>

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Worst RPG you've ever played? I don't think FF7 is worthy of the massive spooge-fest fans have over it (not even close), but I still think it's a decent JRPG at its core. I can think of plenty of worse ones offhand, from Eternal Sonata to Arc the Lad, Legend of Dragoon and Breath of Fire on the same platform as FFVII, Wild Arms, Legend of Mana, etc.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Really? There are farworst RPGs out there. I.E Legend of Dragoon, Unlimited SaGa, Romancing SaGa, Demi Kids, FF Mystic Quest,pretty much every many title that Browie Brown worked on.

Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Promised_Trini
Member since 2008 • 3651 Posts

The music, the characters, the graphics and the bland battle system makes me wonder what it is about this game that is making people be all "Rolfcakes" about it. I've play loads of better RPG games like Sonic's RPG game for the DS, that was alot better IMO. Final Fantasy is just an overrated series in it's own right, I wish it kept to it's title and really WAS a Final Fantasy, which means no more games after this one. Wantaballoon

Shhh..Don't say that FF7 was the worst RPG you played..Yeah I never liked it to:P

dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

it doesn't stand to the test of time but it was good in it's time but I have played jrpgs on the 360 so I've played worse(only eternal sonata is good).

Erik2393

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Erik2393
Member since 2009 • 57 Posts

He just drinkin haterade. Anyways, it's really not that bad. I just think people dont like it cause so many players gush over it

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

It's actually one of my favorites. I'm sure you could find worse RPGs.

psyko0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 psyko0815
Member since 2010 • 449 Posts
It's one of my all time faves. Maybe it's because I was really into it when it first came out.... idk, but I can still play that and have a great time.
CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts
So I am guessing you have played 2 RPGs
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

Ok... Want a balloon?

This belongs in your blog.

silentfox13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 silentfox13
Member since 2010 • 347 Posts

the worse of the series is not ff7 cuz if you spend time to do all in it with secret extrat item and orb it's fun.the worse of ff is the 12 on ps2

billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 billyd5301
Member since 2008 • 1572 Posts
It's not the worst but I never liked it at all. Honestly, I could never understand what the big deal was surrounding that game. Bad story, bad graphics, bad characters, bad system. But still not the worst.
silentfox13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 silentfox13

the worse rpg i've ever played is shadow hearth:convenient on ps2.i've been rapped by 40$ to get it.....not worth 2$.bad battle system and awfull ending

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

The music, the characters, the graphics and the bland battle system makes me wonder what it is about this game that is making people be all "Rolfcakes" about it. I've play loads of better RPG games like Sonic's RPG game for the DS, that was alot better IMO. Final Fantasy is just an overrated series in it's own right, I wish it kept to it's title and really WAS a Final Fantasy, which means no more games after this one. Wantaballoon

You do know that the graphics of 7 when released were some of the best right? And you are also judging the FF series by playing just one game. The music is fine and really fits the mood. The graphics do take time getting used to and when you do, you won't be bothered about how it looks. The battle system is bland? The materia system is one of the series best. And have you played through the entire story? The story is fantastic!

Sonic's RPG is better? Really? :?

the worse rpg i've ever played is shadow hearth:convenient on ps2.i've been rapped by 40$ to get it.....not worth 2$.bad battle system and awfull ending

silentfox13

It's Shadow Hearts : Covenant.

silentfox13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 silentfox13

shadow hearts:convenant got it

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fend_oblivion

I just checked your profile and found this. You said "Majority of his fanbase turned against him." So why do you say the Sonic RPG is better?

I'm perplexed by your claims.

silentfox13

Covenant. Not convenant ;)

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thetruespin
Member since 2008 • 3256 Posts
you can't compare ff7 to modern day rpgs, but at the time it was epic!!!
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

silentfox13

What!? Shadow HeartsCovenant was pretty good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5404ad8217e
deactivated-5f5404ad8217e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 deactivated-5f5404ad8217e
Member since 2005 • 1637 Posts

You obviouslyhaven't played many RPGs then

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14905 Posts
FFVII is not the worst RPG, far from it. It is though...disguistingly overrated, perhaps the most overrated game ever made.
Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#24 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
you can't compare ff7 to modern day rpgs, but at the time it was epic!!!thetruespin
Still is today. I smell a lot of hating. 100's of hours of gameplay fun, what more do you want?
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#25 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

FF7 is one of my favourite RPGs, but if you dont like it, thats cool

pspfanboy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pspfanboy6
Member since 2010 • 91 Posts

the graphics have not aged well. But there's a reason why FF7 is the most popular rpg of all time(in the west at least), because the game is good. TBH it is a bit overrated because of its massive popularity, but you gotta admit that at its core, it is a very good game. If you dont think its a good game, then you don't know what you are talking about and shouldn't be playing rpgs in the first place.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 fend_oblivion

@ fragasnap :

First off, the graphics at that time were one of the best. You can't deny that.The Materia system is pretty easy to use. Yes, there is not much uniqueness with characters aside from their limit breaks, but I love this system very much. I hate the job system of Tactics.

Moreover, Sephiroth doesn't want to destroy the world. [spoiler] He wants to become a god. By summoning Meteor using Black Materia, he seeks to cause a damage so severe that the planet's life stream tries to heal the planet. What Sephiroth wants to do is get in the center of that life stream's energy and absorb it thereby making him a poweful god like entity after which he can rule the universe as his own. [/spoiler]

You should really finish this game. It's story line is extremely good. Don't let the LEGO graphics put you off.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#29 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Worst RPG, with FF13 there are worse RPGs in the same series.
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9555 Posts

LOL... the kids obviously just starting to start a flame war... this thread should be locked, it is going nowhere.

There are a ton of RPG's a lot worse than FF7, but I do agree that FF7 is nowhere near as great as everybody makes it sound. When it forst released I admit I was absolutely floored! The game is still good, dont get me wrong, but it doesn't hold up to the test of time, and ultimately several other RPG's of the same era have much better gameplay and storylines in my personal opinion.

To say it is the worst RPG ever and say that the Sonic RPG is better is childish though.

Oh and whoever said that Legend of Dragoon was a worse RPG than 7 is wwrong. Just so you know :P

Menalque2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Menalque2
Member since 2007 • 2630 Posts

FFVII is one of the best games I've ever played. It's only weak points were making Barret a stupid character and some terrible navigation at times.

NightStein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 NightStein
Member since 2009 • 1084 Posts

I can't say that FF7 it's bad, it's a good title and all, but it's the worst FF to me, i played it after VIII and IX which were awesome IMO, maybe that's the reason why i dislike it... Still it's not a bad RPG if you like that genre, if not just stay aside of it.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Daavpuke
If you think Ace Combat 2 has better graphics than FFVII, then your problem starts right there... Also, the Materia System is the best ever used in a FF franchise to my feel. It was customizable, fun to use, fun to master and didn't tie your characters down permanently. You might not like it, sure, that's cool. I'm just saying, you won't find a lot of people heckling one of the best systems created at that time. Although materia like Frog or Mini sucked. But that's true in all RPG's.
Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Daavpuke
So was I. Perhaps not the map no, that was fairly crap, as we know by FF standards. But all the other kicked ass imo. Limit breaks looked awesome at that time.
KhanhAgE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KhanhAgE
Member since 2004 • 1345 Posts
You really have had to play the game back during the years of its release, to truly understand the impact the game had at the time. The game was quite amazing back then. (And FF8 > FF7)
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I didn't care for FF7, but it's nowhere near the worst RPG I have ever played. Star Ocean 4 is one of the worst I've ever played. So lifeless and boring... ugh.

silentfox13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 silentfox13

I didn't care for FF7, but it's nowhere near the worst RPG I have ever played. Star Ocean 4 is one of the worst I've ever played. So lifeless and boring... ugh.

yokofox33

i'm playing SO4 last hope and i like it well.you have to be a fan of space rpg to like it.did you played SO3?

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 fend_oblivion

...Dude... I play Atari 2600 games... graphics don't stop me from enjoying a game...

Fragasnap

Sorry, my bad. Most people are put off by its blocky graphics :)

Atari 2600? Ughgh... If it's older than the NES, I'm not playing it lol

Megaman5364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Megaman5364
Member since 2009 • 2912 Posts
Go play oblivion then tell us your opinion.
chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts

You couldn't have been less descriptive with your gripes.

What about the battle system didn't you like? What about the characters didn't you like? Name some RPG's and describe what about them you like.

Besides...worst RPG ever? Clearly you have yet to play:

Beyond the Beyond (PS1)

Drakken (SNES)

Ephemeral Fantasia (PS2)

Final Fantasy 8 (PS1)

Saga Frontier (PS1)

The list of crappy RPG's goes on and on.

Sure, I would agree that FF7 is over-rated, but if you are going to be so vague in your post about what you don't like, you should really put that in a blog...where it belongs.

0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 0rbs
Member since 2007 • 1947 Posts

I thought the trolls stuck to System Wars.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 valereth-1
Member since 2009 • 9249 Posts

You, obviously, have not played FFVIII. It is much MUCH worse than FFVII

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 valereth-1
Member since 2009 • 9249 Posts

[QUOTE="Wantaballoon"]The music, the characters, the graphics and the bland battle system makes me wonder what it is about this game that is making people be all "Rolfcakes" about it. I've play loads of better RPG games like Sonic's RPG game for the DS, that was alot better IMO. Final Fantasy is just an overrated series in it's own right, I wish it kept to it's title and really WAS a Final Fantasy, which means no more games after this one. Megaman5364
Go play oblivion then tell us your opinion.

You say this as if Oblivion ISN'T amazing

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I actually agree with the OP. There are worse RPGs out there, but they are usually so bad that you don't bother investing any time in them. I can agree and relate to FF7 being the worst because it was a game that was hyped and most people were generally excited finally get a chance to play it. I remember being disappointed with the gameplay that almost seemed to not exist. It was as if you walk here, random battle, walk there, random battle, cut scene, bland dialog, walk again, random battle--hit a few buttons, and repeat. My problem is that it just did feel like a game, but moreso a means to show off some flashy FMV.

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Foulcry
Member since 2008 • 960 Posts

[QUOTE="Wantaballoon"]The music, the characters, the graphics and the bland battle system makes me wonder what it is about this game that is making people be all "Rolfcakes" about it. I've play loads of better RPG games like Sonic's RPG game for the DS, that was alot better IMO. Final Fantasy is just an overrated series in it's own right, I wish it kept to it's title and really WAS a Final Fantasy, which means no more games after this one. chefstubbies

You couldn't have been less descriptive with your gripes.

What about the battle system didn't you like? What about the characters didn't you like? Name some RPG's and describe what about them you like.

Besides...worst RPG ever? Clearly you have yet to play:

Beyond the Beyond (PS1)

Drakken (SNES)

Ephemeral Fantasia (PS2)

Final Fantasy 8 (PS1)

Saga Frontier (PS1)

The list of crappy RPG's goes on and on.

Sure, I would agree that FF7 is over-rated, but if you are going to be so vague in your post about what you don't like, you should really put that in a blog...where it belongs.

Final Fantasy VIII the worst? In my opinion IX and XII were the worst and VI was the best and VII was the second best.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 fend_oblivion

I actually agree with the OP. There are worse RPGs out there, but they are usually so bad that you don't bother investing any time in them. I can agree and relate to FF7 being the worst because it was a game that was hyped and most people were generally excited finally get a chance to play it. I remember being disappointed with the gameplay that almost seemed to not exist. It was as if you walk here, random battle, walk there, random battle, cut scene, bland dialog, walk again, random battle--hit a few buttons, and repeat. My problem is that it just did feel like a game, but moreso a means to show off some flashy FMV.

Heirren

That pretty much sums up any RPG out there.