Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas which one you enjoyed more

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Matty_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Matty_gamer
Member since 2006 • 395 Posts

Ok this has probably been asked a million times before but well, after all this time lets see if we see a change in opinions.

So which one is better Fallout 3 or New Vegas?

Adversary16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 Adversary16
Member since 2007 • 1705 Posts
Played both recently... FO3, then F:NV... F:NV is so much better than FO3... Probably because I'm more interested in writing and characters than exploration...
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I liked Fallout 3 a whole lot better. There's a reason New Vegas isn't called Fallout 4 - they just recycled all the graphics from Fallout 3 to milk more cash out of it. And they finally finished the development of it about 6 months after they released it :roll:

Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

Fallout 3 is better. It was a breath of fresh air and it had a better atmosphere than NV.

Fallout NV is basically just more of the same, with a few tweaks/few new elements, different story and a lame desert setting.

Obsidian wankers will try to argue otherwise, but FONV wasn't much of an improvement over FO3. And if you put a lot of hours into FO3 (like I did), the games feel much more alike than they should.

I like both games. But I enjoyed Fallout 3 a lot more.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#5 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Having played a lot of New Vegas, I'm not sure about going back to Fallout 3.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I'd say Fallout 3. The writing and voice actingin New Vegas are much better, and I do like the faction system and improved customization options, but its not as epic. Fallout 3's environment was MUCH better and cooler, New Vegas feels small and fake and doesn't have that same hopeless and gigantic feel of the Capital Wasteland, while it also ended up being more fun to explore and felt more like a survival game (even if NV did add hardcore mode).

I'd say the thing that really edges it out would be the much better introduction sequence and lack of bugs, as well as Liam Neeson. I love Feliica Day, Wayne Newton, Matthew Perry and Zachary Levi and overall thought that any one of the awesome companions in New Vegas were better then all the companions in every Bethesda game combined, but Liam Neeson as my dad? The guy who played Zeus, father of Kratos and antagonist in Clash of the Titans, superspy killer of half of Paris' underworld criminals, trainer of Ben Kenobi and founder of the Jedi ghost form, and trainer of freaking Batman!? That is just the best thing ever.

So in short, Fallout 3 was more addicting and more cohesive as an experience, New Vegas was also fun but didn't feel like a gigantic step up for the series (with the animations and graphics notably dated by the time of NV) and way too damn buggy.

Matty_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Matty_gamer
Ok so the way I see it. Fallout 3 has better environments, more exploration and a better atmosphere. Where as New Vegas has better characters, writing and dialogue?
Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

I enjoyed Fallout 3 more due to the emotional context. Starting off by being born, growing up in the vault and then heading out to find your character's dad helped to form an emotional connection to the character you were playing. I cared a lot about my character, I wanted to help her find her dad, I shared in her grief as well as her fears and hopes.

New Vegas is a good game, but I don't find revenge to be as much of a motive compared to trying to survive in a wasteland of the dead. Also I didn't enjoy the political angle of New vegas all that much, neither side was any better than the other, they were all too full of themselves.

Fallout 3 also used emotion in other aspects, like the skeltons in the houses at Minefield, the ruins and the way the game's sun would rise and set on the wasteland. Add that with the music and it was a very emotional game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

I found NV to be much more fun than 3.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#10 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I enjoyed New Vegas more, but I do think Fallout 3 is the better game.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I like New Vegas more, but like some others had mentioned, by the time it was released I was a little tired of the Fallout 3 wasteland vibe.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#12 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I only played Fallout 3, really, but that was a great game.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#13 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

New Vegas was more enjoyable, but both games are outstanding!

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#14 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

I love both a lot.

but Fallout : New Vegas is just a lot better.

Matty_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Matty_gamer
Waoh Waoh WAoh WAOH!? Fallout New Vegas better?? What the?
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

I find New Vegas to be vastly superior than Fallout 3.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

New Vegas was better in every possible way to FO3.

-real choices

-multiple solutions to main quest

-followers had fleshed out backgrounds

-combat was harder. Once you reached 20ish level on FO3 combat was ridiculously easy

-no real good or bad guys. Each faction was morally grey

-more crafting

-hardcore mode

I can sympathize with people saying New Vegas was too similar to FO3, but I think they're letting their nostalgia of playing an experience that was so new at the time cloud their judgement.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Skyrim is better

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#19 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I enjoyed New Vegas more. I really liked the faction system and how you made enemies depending on who you wanted to ally with, and the story was pretty interesting. Hardcore mode was an awesome addition as well, as one thing I really disliked about Fallout 3 was how easy it was. The few tweaks New Vegas made to the combat and RPG elements really made an already good game into a great one, imo.

I can understand why people like Fallout 3 more, and I certainly enjoyed it, but New Vegas was just more for me. One of my pet peeves with modern RPGs is that you can make a character that's pretty much great at everything. In Fallout 3, my character was pretty adept at everything, but I didn't really have that option in New Vegas. My character had flaws and I had to play accordingly.

And I never felt threatened in Fallout 3. It's a game about surviving in this harsh wasteland but it's incredibly easy. Finding a powerful gun right off the bat is a simple task, and considering you're invulnerable during VATS you can go toe-to-toe with a Deathclaw and be completely fine. I was really happy when the Deathclaw in New Vegas were a huge threat.

Fallout 3 had a few more memorable moments though. The Dunwich building is one of my favorite moments this gen, and Rivet City and exploring the DC ruins was pretty cool. The Enclave showing up was nice too. I just enjoyed New Vegas more. I wish they'd take the tweaks like factions, hardcore mode, and vulnerability during VATS and add it to Fallout 3 because then it might be a closer contest.

Tazzman1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Tazzman1000
Member since 2012 • 638 Posts
New Vegas' bugs ruined the experience for me. I had to check online guides for bugs and every quest had atleast 3. The story wasn't bad but it didn't have any meaning behind it and the courier was just piggy in the middle for the most part. New Vegas offered multiple endings for most quests and alot more content but i think this is where most of the games bugs came from, there was just too much content. New Vagas should've been a full expansion for FO3 rather than a standalone game.
M13L13S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 M13L13S
Member since 2010 • 3819 Posts

I haven't played much of NV but I liked Fallout 3 more. I just got really caught up in it and the quests and stories of places made me keep playing.

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
New Vegas, but I do miss the urban environments in 3. FO3 had a better atmosphere.
brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

Fallout New Vegas

• Better writing
  • 40% more dialogue included in game
  • More color, more variety in the visuals
  • More personality to the world, characters & missions
  • better & more varied world/interior designs
  • hardcore mode
  • Every aspect of F3 was improved upon

They are both great games. FNV was essentially more of the same but it was a better version of Fallout than what Fallout 3 delivered. The people that favor F3 are people who need to take off their nostalgia goggles.

TJORLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TJORLY
Member since 2008 • 3298 Posts

New Vegas. Without a doubt. It just felt much truer to the originals in every way over FO3. Yeah, the exploration isn't as great, but Fallout was hardly about exploring.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I enjoyed New Vegas more. I really liked the faction system and how you made enemies depending on who you wanted to ally with, and the story was pretty interesting. Hardcore mode was an awesome addition as well, as one thing I really disliked about Fallout 3 was how easy it was. The few tweaks New Vegas made to the combat and RPG elements really made an already good game into a great one, imo.

I can understand why people like Fallout 3 more, and I certainly enjoyed it, but New Vegas was just more for me. One of my pet peeves with modern RPGs is that you can make a character that's pretty much great at everything. In Fallout 3, my character was pretty adept at everything, but I didn't really have that option in New Vegas. My character had flaws and I had to play accordingly.

And I never felt threatened in Fallout 3. It's a game about surviving in this harsh wasteland but it's incredibly easy. Finding a powerful gun right off the bat is a simple task, and considering you're invulnerable during VATS you can go toe-to-toe with a Deathclaw and be completely fine. I was really happy when the Deathclaw in New Vegas were a huge threat.

Fallout 3 had a few more memorable moments though. The Dunwich building is one of my favorite moments this gen, and Rivet City and exploring the DC ruins was pretty cool. The Enclave showing up was nice too. I just enjoyed New Vegas more. I wish they'd take the tweaks like factions, hardcore mode, and vulnerability during VATS and add it to Fallout 3 because then it might be a closer contest.

IndianaPwns39

All great points. I just wish Bethesda would let us know SOMETHING about FO4 (whether it's going to be a next gen launch title or not). Also who will be making it. If Bethesda is making it I won't bother getting my hopes too high. If Obsidian makes it.....:D

trentmiles101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 trentmiles101
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I enjoyed fall out 3 so much more then NV that I almost don't want to buy the new fall out when it comes out!
Matty_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Matty_gamer
I enjoyed fall out 3 so much more then NV that I almost don't want to buy the new fall out when it comes out!trentmiles101
who the hell are you and why do you have zero posts? also how the hell does ^ make sense to you?
LessThanMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LessThanMike
Member since 2002 • 5364 Posts
I think I preferred fallout 3 because I didn't like the faction aspect of new Vegas
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 IndianaPwns39

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

Boddicker

All great points. I just wish Bethesda would let us know SOMETHING about FO4 (whether it's going to be a next gen launch title or not). Also who will be making it. If Bethesda is making it I won't bother getting my hopes too high. If Obsidian makes it.....:D

I'm guessing Bethesda will be making it, and then Obsidian will handle a semi-sequel. Obsidian seems to follow a lot of bigger developers, and often times I've preferred their games.

My only issue is that Obsidian is constantly criticized for the bugs in their games, but other devs rarely are. I liked Skyrim, but it was plagued with bugs regardless of platform and not a single reviewer mentioned it. Yet Gamespot's review for the console version of New Vegas mentions them, and it got a full extra point because of how much better the PC version ran.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

I enjoyed exploration more in FO3, but I liked the characters, story, plot, and game mechanics more in NV.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#31 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
Fallout NV is the real Fallout 3 and craps over everything that Bethesda tried to do with Fallout 3.
Matty_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Matty_gamer

I enjoyed Fallout 3 more due to the emotional context. Starting off by being born, growing up in the vault and then heading out to find your character's dad helped to form an emotional connection to the character you were playing. I cared a lot about my character, I wanted to help her find her dad, I shared in her grief as well as her fears and hopes.

New Vegas is a good game, but I don't find revenge to be as much of a motive compared to trying to survive in a wasteland of the dead. Also I didn't enjoy the political angle of New vegas all that much, neither side was any better than the other, they were all too full of themselves.

Fallout 3 also used emotion in other aspects, like the skeltons in the houses at Minefield, the ruins and the way the game's sun would rise and set on the wasteland. Add that with the music and it was a very emotional game.

Smokescreened84
Very well said. I too could not connect with my character in New Vegas. Where as I felt pretty much involved in fallout 3, exactly because of the fact that i followed my characters life right from his/her birth through his teenages and finally when i get to leave the vault in search of my character's father the story was too personal and immersive.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 IndianaPwns39

[QUOTE="Smokescreened84"]

Matty_gamer

Very well said. I too could not connect with my character in New Vegas. Where as I felt pretty much involved in fallout 3, exactly because of the fact that i followed my characters life right from his/her birth through his teenages and finally when i get to leave the vault in search of my character's father the story was too personal and immersive.

See, I actually prefer the blank slate approach of New Vegas' courier. I liked giving my character their own background, why they were here and what they were good at before taking the job for whatever reason I came up with.

In Fallout 3, I kind of felt forced to play the good guy. I saw the Lone Wanderer grow up and the friends and family that helped shape him. There never felt like there was a real reason to be a d!ck, it felt so unnatural to play an evil character. Yeah, your dad runs out on you and you start hunting him down but it just never felt natural to do anything. "You ran away on me dad. So I blew up Megaton!" - Ok. If I did anything evil in New Vegas, I could easily imagine a reason why this character was evil. Plus, whenever I did something evil in Fallout 3, nobody seemed to care. You could tell Dad to screw off, and he'll just reply "I'm sorry you feel that way". Real, real emotional stuff.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 190586385885857957282413308806
[QUOTE="Smokescreened84"]

Matty_gamer

I'll admit that I liked the way that Fallout 3 started out but it went to s#$% shortly after that. It takes me more than 20 minutes of stiff animation and scripting to get me emotionally involved in a character so the father figure tugging at my heart strings was never there. What's left of the plot is getting the GECK and saving a water system...it's so original that the two previous Fallouts did the exact same thing many years before. You throw in meaningless choices, a game that made fixing crappy endings popular before ME3, butchering of the Fallout lore and how easy the game was and Fallout 3 ended up being a pretty big disappointment that Obsidian ended up fixing in NV. I don't understand when people say New Vegas is about revenge...it can be but it doesn't have to be. Also if you don't like the factions then f*(^ em both up. New Vegas is a REAL RPG. meaning you do what you want your character to do and the story shifts around that a lot better than what was done in F3
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#35 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I'm going to have to say Fallout 3, but not by much. I've put about the same time into each game, but I still have a bit of exploring and a few add-ons yet to play in New Vegas. New Vegas is better in some ways, but it just doesn't have that same feel to it Fallout 3 did that made it awesome. I could go into further detail, but I really enjoy both games so I'll just leave it at that.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
NV is far, far better. FO3 might have put down the foundations even if it's largely 'TES with guns', and in all fairness it was decent, but it was a downright poor Fallout game. The writing was atrocious, the main plot was bluntly - a joke, the specialisation was superficial and the game did a terrible job handling the Fallout canon, tone and distinct sensibilities and themes. But as I said, on its own, as its own game, it was decent. New Vegas however is a different story entirely. It's not perfect, far from it, but it actually offers a complex role playing experience more akin to the originals, has the strong points of Fallout 3 attached, more and outright better content including a central plot that's great (except that woeful introduction), and it has *would you believe it* excellent writing, and it stays far more true to Fallout. Which is why I'd say it's an outright better game, and Fallout title.

Obsidian wankers will try to argue otherwise, but FONV wasn't much of an improvement over FO3. And if you put a lot of hours into FO3 (like I did), the games feel much more alike than they should.

Tikeio
I've put more time into FO3 as I have FO1, FO2 and NV currently. There's stark differences, and I'm outright shocked that they're that noticeable - I was not expecting it - especially in the quality of quests, writing, characters and amount of systems at work (like disguises, a far better reputation system) to outright open endedness. Compared to FO3's 'find dad, it's your destiny'. The setting though I can regard as being divisive.
Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

fallout 3 cause it didnt corrupt my data and it wasnt buggy

i like to think of NV like skyrim

seeing nothing but snow is boring. seeing nothing but desert is boring

though the like gas mask trenchcoat armor in NV is pretty badass

cfstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cfstar
Member since 2009 • 1979 Posts

Skyrim is better

Ballroompirate

No.

OT: New Vegas. Specially for PC, considering there is a mod that allows you to play FO3 with New Vegas, rendering it obsolete.

deadpeasant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deadpeasant
Member since 2012 • 139 Posts

Fallout 3 is better. It was a breath of fresh air and it had a better atmosphere than NV.

Fallout NV is basically just more of the same, with a few tweaks/few new elements, different story and a lame desert setting.

Tikeio
I agree completely with this. ^^
Matty_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Matty_gamer

[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

Skyrim is better

cfstar

No.

OT: New Vegas. Specially for PC, considering there is a mod that allows you to play FO3 with New Vegas, rendering it obsolete.

Even if you can carry the items and stats from mojave over to the wasteland and play parts from both games interchangeably. It doesn't render the comparison obsolete. Considering that you posted such a thing suggests that you like the PC a bit too much? :p While I agree that PC is now a far superior platform for playing either of the games or as you said only platform to play both games simultaneously. This is Not the thread to discuss such a thing. Go to system wars if you want that.
keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 keech
Member since 2003 • 1451 Posts

Two reasons I have to go with FO3 over NV:

1. The bugs at launch were unforgivable. It got to a point where I just wasn't enjoying the game entirely due to major and minor bugs at every turn. I can forgive a lot of bugs in a game of that type. But with NV you were constantly being reminded of the fact that the game should of spent another 2 months in beta.

2. I had poured over 150 hours in FO3 across 3 characters. After spending so much time in the game, NV just didn't feel like anything special. It had a small handful of new gameplay wrinkles and that's about it. Though in all fairness I only played it for around 15 hours and haven't found the time to go back and play the game in earnest. So I can't comment about the story or moral narrative, ect.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#42 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Fallout 3, without a doubt. It had a far more interesting world to explore. The only thing New Vegas had going for it was the faction system.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
I don't know. Fallout 3 was more immersive when I first played it compared to NV, but NV is definitely the better game overall
Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#44 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
For whatever reason, I enjoyed Fallout 3 more. I found the location more enjoyable I suppose.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Tikeio

I feel this response saves me from having to say everything this man just said again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 190586385885857957282413308806
[QUOTE="Tikeio"]

deadpeasant
I agree completely with this. ^^

You lose all right to have that profile picture.
cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

I think I enjoyed NV more as it has a lot more interesting locations, dialogue and characters. I also found it challenging the whole way through whereas Fallout 3 you could literally take out everyone and everything in the entire game at once with ease.

I really enjoyed FO3 too as it felt more post-apocalyptic, lonely, and it was the first next gen Fallout game so it felt more refreshing.

Kiro0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Kiro0
Member since 2009 • 1176 Posts

Fallout: New Vegas by a landslide. I'm not a Bethesda fan but New Vegas took the typical Bethesda formula and made an absolutely fantastic game out of it. Its only real downside was the bugs, which Bethesda games tend to have droves of as well.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I enjoyed New Vegas vastly more, it had a better story and ridiculously better writting.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
BOTH games got crap writing and dialogues, BOTH. Fallout 3 had better atmosphere, new vegas had more color and no metro stations that are the only way to reach certain areas. It was more nonlinear. New vegas was also harder and alot more freaking buggier, seriously wtf is obsidian even capable of makinga game without a bazillion bugs "it wa a big game" and alpha protocol was a small game but nothing worked properly in it. Both games have bad stories, infact, take a look at the story of the first fallout.