Do you think the Resident Evil series should have stopped at RE5?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd
deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd
Member since 2011 • 348 Posts

The Resident Evil series is probably the greatest survival horror game series of all time, full of critically accalaimed titles such as Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 4 and Code: Veronica. But with the release of the critically panned Resident Evil 6, the RE game that isn't survival horror, do you think the series should have stopped at RE5? Or maybe since RE: Revelations was a complete success, do you think the series should continue since you think that Capcom can fix the series? Please let me know. Thanks!

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Well, I loved RE4. Granted, it was a departure from the rest of the series before it. But it was still a fantastic game with a great creepy atmosphere.

RE5, I wasn't a fan of. I don't like taking care of other characters, the game was more action than horror, and the atmosphere was all wrong in brighty and sunny Africa.

RE6 I got for Christmas from my wonderful wife, but I haven't had the chance to play it outside of installing updates and testing it. So I really can't say on this one, yet. But the little I did play, I wasn't fond of it. It just seemed to easy and too much quick-time events. You can't even really die, it seems, unless you forget where the "kick off" button is at.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd

Well, I loved RE4. Granted, it was a departure from the rest of the series before it. But it was still a fantastic game with a great creepy atmosphere.

RE5, I wasn't a fan of. I don't like taking care of other characters, the game was more action than horror, and the atmosphere was all wrong in brighty and sunny Africa.

RE6 I got for Christmas from my wonderful wife, but I haven't had the chance to play it outside of installing updates and testing it. So I really can't say on this one, yet. But the little I did play, I wasn't fond of it. It just seemed to easy and too much quick-time events. You can't even really die, it seems, unless you forget where the "kick off" button is at.

Emerald_Warrior
I enjoyed 5 so much that I beat it in one sitting. RE5 is also in the #6 spot on my top 10 underrated games list. A ton of people hate RE6 because they claim that it's a 100% action game. If you like it, that's great, dosen't mean you're an idiot. I'm just hoping that Capcom can fix the series and make the most worthy successor to RE4.
Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Exceed20XX
Member since 2011 • 817 Posts

Emerald_Warrior

It's amusing with enemy players, just don't get impregnated in the face. That said I feel like I treat pre-4 and post-4 REs as different things in a way.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#5 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

I am hoping they keep it up on handhelds. Survivor horror works so well w/ headphones!

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
No, it should have stopped at four. Resident Evil 5 was an awful mess as were 6, Revelations, Mercenaries, and Operation Raccoon City. The best non-remake Resident Evil games released this entire console generation were Wii lightgun shooters. The series deserves better.
NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

GSJones1994

I enjoyed 5 so much that I beat it in one sitting. RE5 is also in the #6 spot on my top 10 underrated games list. A ton of people hate RE6 because they claim that it's a 100% action game. If you like it, that's great, dosen't mean you're an idiot. I'm just hoping that Capcom can fix the series and make the most worthy successor to RE4.

They did, and it turned out better. It's called Resident Evil: Revelations

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Exceed20XX
Member since 2011 • 817 Posts

Perhaps the additional sales they're trying to garner out of Revelations via porting will convince them that that is the way to go from here on out. Revelations felt like it found an equlibrium that titles 4 and on couldn't. The only things I think I wanted more out of Revelations was more solo time and a few more enemy types.

"MaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaayyyyyy DAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAy!!!"

(Likely why they're releasing the port in May, hopefully with that line in the commercials.)

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9547 Posts

I think the series should have stopped at 3. I may be in the minority here, not really sure seeing as though I am not a huge RE fan, but 2 is still my favorite of the bunch, and I have played nearly all of them up to and including Slant 6's attempt which I didnt think was nearly as bad as a lot of other people did even if it didnt feel completely traditional.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

If people continue to enjoy Resident Evil, then I see no reason for the Reisdent Evil franchise to stop.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WitIsWisdom

If people continue to enjoy Resident Evil, then I see no reason for the Reisdent Evil franchise to stop.

MLBknights58

I completely agree, just like with ANY franchise. However how do long time fans of the series feel about the last couple installments? I feel that too often times developers sell out to the "lets broaden our fanbase" mentality and lose track of what they set out to do in the first place, and effectively pissing their long time fanbase off. It's kind of a lose lose situation. Look what happened to Zipper Interactive (although it was SONY's call to go more mainstream). Nintendo is also a culprit.... I really feel sorry for both of them, look at Nintendo sinking fast in this new gen era. Sometimes "milking" a fanbase may work, but it is risky and poor business ethics either way.

Avatar image for Change_MyShorts
Change_MyShorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Change_MyShorts
Member since 2012 • 77 Posts

Let me sum Resident Evil up...

Resident Evil - Wow this is different, and creepy. Cool game

Resident Evil 2 - This game is huge, great story, Things are great!!!

RE 3 Nemesis - Same setting from a different perspective, cool story and boss. Fun stuff!

RE Survivor - Whaaaaaa...ok I guess.

RE Code Veronica - HOLY CRAP!!! The graphics are great, story is good, give me more!!!

RE Remake - Wow, they made a great remake. look at those graphics...im scared, wahhh!!!

RE 4 - HOLY CRAP!!! behind shoulder, faster action, great visuals, this game is a good advancement for the series.

RE 5 - What is this Gears of wars meets Fantasia?

RE 6 - STOP...stop making them!!!!

Change_MyShorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Change_MyShorts

I think the series should have stopped at 3. I may be in the minority here, not really sure seeing as though I am not a huge RE fan, but 2 is still my favorite of the bunch, and I have played nearly all of them up to and including Slant 6's attempt which I didnt think was nearly as bad as a lot of other people did even if it didnt feel completely traditional.

WitIsWisdom

MOst die hard, been there since PS1 fans enjoy 1,2,3, & Code Veronica. CV on Dreamcast back in 2000 was great.

I forgot to mentioned RE zero in the above message.

RE Zero - Good game, too short and too easy, oh well...wahhhh zombie!!!

WeskerTeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WeskerTeam
Member since 2010 • 1827 Posts

RE0 was much longer then REmake and was about the same difficulty. However in RE0 you could start the game on normal where in REmake you had to start your first playthrough on either hard or easy.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the RE games in my collection, which is pretty much all of them - Mind you, I haven't played "Raccoon City" yet (got it for $6), nor have I purchased RE6, but I intend to when it's really cheap. But I've enjoyed everything for what it was. yes, I like the original trilogy the best, but I see nothing wrong with "Outbreak" games, or "Deadly Aim", and hey, my favorite version of the original game is on the DS... They all tried something different, and even though they weren't always 100% successful, I have appreciated them for at least trying something different with each title to keep those of us who bought the original in 1996 guessing... And intrigued...

They're not all "awesome", or classics, but being the fan I am, I'm just glad they haven't stopped making them. Hopefully, they will learn from the mistakes of RE6 (we all know the common complaints, and most of them are completely justified, unfortunately)...

... But no, I'm glad they didn't stop before RE5 (one of my more favorite PS3 games, honestly - Didn't care for it until I put it up for a bit, and restarted several months later, but I found the magic of that title). I really LIKE that game, now. I feel like it fits VERY well into the pantheon of original games.

(I know I'll be vilified for this, but I don't care.)

RE5 is a rock-solid RE game. I'm looking forward to playing "Raccoon City", and RE6. And I hope CRAPCOM makes more games in the series, with new ideas and approaches. I like Anderson's MOVIES, and I was ecstatic at the finish of the most recent one, to see that it will most-definitely have a sequel.

Burn me in effigy, but I love it ALL.

:D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd
No, it should have stopped at four. Resident Evil 5 was an awful mess as were 6, Revelations, Mercenaries, and Operation Raccoon City. The best non-remake Resident Evil games released this entire console generation were Wii lightgun shooters. The series deserves better.famicommander
I thought 5 was a good game! How could you say such a thing? Critics loved 5!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd

I dunno. Revelations' metacritic score was an 82/100.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

GSJones1994

It's not perfect, but it's still a good score in my book. Never played the game myself, just commenting on the score.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#21 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="famicommander"]No, it should have stopped at four. Resident Evil 5 was an awful mess as were 6, Revelations, Mercenaries, and Operation Raccoon City. The best non-remake Resident Evil games released this entire console generation were Wii lightgun shooters. The series deserves better.GSJones1994

I agree that calling Resident Evil 5 an awful mess is pretty silly.

It was absolutely inferior to the superb RE4, but it is not even close to being bad.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#22 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I dunno. Revelations' metacritic score was an 82/100.GSJones1994

You do realize that you're allowed to form your own opinions, right?

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

GSJones1994

My opinion is not shaped on the basis of metascores, and neither should yours. 82/100 is a good score anyway, so I dunno what the hell you are implying

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I never played 5 and 6. I do think 4 was amazing.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I feel like the series should have been rapped up with a game after Code Veronica, but not with the RE4 that we got. It would have to be like the other RE games and have to do with zombies and Umbrella. Then they could have gone in the direction they did with RE4 and so on. They should have made the games before RE4 their own distinct story arc imo.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
[QUOTE="famicommander"]No, it should have stopped at four. Resident Evil 5 was an awful mess as were 6, Revelations, Mercenaries, and Operation Raccoon City. The best non-remake Resident Evil games released this entire console generation were Wii lightgun shooters. The series deserves better.GSJones1994

I don't give a rat's ass what any critic thinks about any game. Resident Evil 5 has incomprehensibly terrible parter AI (and the enemies aren't too smart either). If you do not have a human partner to play with Sheva will blow herself up, walk right up to boss characters and just stand there, waste all the ammo you'll let her and use every healing item she can get her hands on. The story is bad even for Resident Evil, and it doesn't even try to be a horror title. It's just a clunky third person shooter that doesn't let you walk+shoot at the same time. The inventory management is absurd and the pacing is awful. It's a bad game from the perspective of a cIassic Resident Evil title and it's a bad game completely independent of its pedigree. They never should have tried to continue the series without Mikami, because they clearly suck at it.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#27 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Should have stopped at 4. Since they didn't, we got 5. Because of THAT, we got 6...
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WitIsWisdom

I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the RE games in my collection, which is pretty much all of them - Mind you, I haven't played "Raccoon City" yet (got it for $6), nor have I purchased RE6, but I intend to when it's really cheap. But I've enjoyed everything for what it was. yes, I like the original trilogy the best, but I see nothing wrong with "Outbreak" games, or "Deadly Aim", and hey, my favorite version of the original game is on the DS... They all tried something different, and even though they weren't always 100% successful, I have appreciated them for at least trying something different with each title to keep those of us who bought the original in 1996 guessing... And intrigued...

They're not all "awesome", or classics, but being the fan I am, I'm just glad they haven't stopped making them. Hopefully, they will learn from the mistakes of RE6 (we all know the common complaints, and most of them are completely justified, unfortunately)...

... But no, I'm glad they didn't stop before RE5 (one of my more favorite PS3 games, honestly - Didn't care for it until I put it up for a bit, and restarted several months later, but I found the magic of that title). I really LIKE that game, now. I feel like it fits VERY well into the pantheon of original games.

RE5 is a rock-solid RE game. I'm looking forward to playing "Raccoon City", and RE6. And I hope CRAPCOM makes more games in the series, with new ideas and approaches. I like Anderson's MOVIES, and I was ecstatic at the finish of the most recent one, to see that it will most-definitely have a sequel.

MonkeySpot

First of all, let me say that I commend you. This is the exact kind of answer I like seeing. Sometimes I have a hard time accepting certain games in my favorite series, but I still love the series overall. This is written like a true fan of the RE series that understands sometimes developers take risks while at other times they should have listened to their intended audience just a little bit more. :)

With that being said, I think that most fans of long running series would probably prefer the developer to continue being innovative while maintaining the base formula they fell in love with to begin with.

Slant 6's take on RE was a stretch as was their take on SOCOM: Confrontation.... however, as much as I did not want to admit to liking Confrontation it wound up being a great game that blew the socks off SOCOM 4 which was made by Zipper... sigh... I guess there is still some small amount of hope left for the SOCOM series... imo Confrontation was and is the greatest shooter on the PS3.

I hope Slant can make a Confrontation 2... it might be a little different, but I learned to embrace it eventually. Cheers to reasonable objectiveness, that is not a trait many people carry these days ;)

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts

No, it should have stopped at four. Resident Evil 5 was an awful mess as were 6, Revelations, Mercenaries, and Operation Raccoon City. The best non-remake Resident Evil games released this entire console generation were Wii lightgun shooters. The series deserves better.famicommander

I pretty much agree with this. Although 4 was a departure from the formula, it still had the RE/horror  feel and was a good game.  5 just turned it into another generic action shooter game. Even if it were releaed under a different title, 5 would still be a forgetable piece of garbage of a game.

Change_MyShorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Change_MyShorts

RE0 was much longer then REmake and was about the same difficulty. However in RE0 you could start the game on normal where in REmake you had to start your first playthrough on either hard or easy.

WeskerTeam

My cousin & I beat zero starting one evening and finishing up the next day. Zero is the shortest Resident Evil I have ever played after Survivor. Wasn't particularly hard neither in terms of puzzles or fights.

Remake took us 3 days on the hardest setting as chris, one of the toughest RE's IMO.

andmcq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 andmcq
Member since 2012 • 259 Posts

Resident Evil should have stopped after Code Veronica. Everything after was/is trash.

darksongbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#32 darksongbird
Member since 2009 • 1237 Posts

I picked the second choice. I haven't played anything after 4 other than my Revelations demo but I don't think the series should stop yet. People like it and if they churned out Revelations then I'm sure if they really tried they could make another great game that's *almost* as good as 4 if they *wanted* to. Like I said that's if they wanted to. For the longest time RE2 was my favorite but then 4 came around. At first I was unsure about 4's direction and found it a lot less scary than the other main RE games but still it was an excellent game in its own right. I rated it a 9/10 here.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#33 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

RE5 and RE6 were both a mess, perfect example of games where the developers had no idea what they were trying to do; trying to do way too much.

Revelations is a great game, but I'm not sure how much Capcom cares anymore...

Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

Should've stopped at Code Veronica

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

After part 4 they should have went back to the original formula.   Then make an old style RE that just dominated over the other ones.   Then maybe another one like part 4, then back to an old style for the next one.

Lol, if you ask me:)

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

WitIsWisdom

First of all, let me say that I commend you. This is the exact kind of answer I like seeing. Sometimes I have a hard time accepting certain games in my favorite series, but I still love the series overall. This is written like a true fan of the RE series that understands sometimes developers take risks while at other times they should have listened to their intended audience just a little bit more. :)

With that being said, I think that most fans of long running series would probably prefer the developer to continue being innovative while maintaining the base formula they fell in love with to begin with.

Slant 6's take on RE was a stretch as was their take on SOCOM: Confrontation.... however, as much as I did not want to admit to liking Confrontation it wound up being a great game that blew the socks off SOCOM 4 which was made by Zipper... sigh... I guess there is still some small amount of hope left for the SOCOM series... imo Confrontation was and is the greatest shooter on the PS3.

I hope Slant can make a Confrontation 2... it might be a little different, but I learned to embrace it eventually. Cheers to reasonable objectiveness, that is not a trait many people carry these days ;)

Thank you for your observations, it's nice to be appreciated!

I think that gamers have become jaded and spoiled, some of them, and it's a shame. I have found that keeping an open mind about difference has enabled me to grow more in this hobby... Not holding onto critiques, or condemnational thoughts made by others, but to try a game myself and see what effect it has on me. Like all intoxicants, some I liked, some I didn't. But I tried them all (games AND stuff for my body & mind :P ), and made up my OWN opinions... Opinions which I then spared most of the people around me, because some folks like beer, others like pot... Some folks like FPS, others like RPG. But in keeping an open mind, I have been able to experience ALL of it... And I think that's key to anything of a recreational nature.

I will say, most-certainly, that having played through (and STILL owning) everything in the RE brand over the last 20 years, I fell that I have have a much more broad, well-rounded base of information with which to discuss the topic. People who haven't PLAYED "Outbreak" through, or haven't PLAYED RE5 through, need to shut their judgemental pie-holes on the games. Just because it didn't fit the formula you most appreciated, does NOT make it a "BAD GAME". There are games in the series which I didn't care for, but I know at the heart of it that they were playable, looked good, etc., but I simply didn't dig the mechanics, etc., of the game. I If "Veronica" was the last game you played in the series, that's where you need to stop talking. Your opinions on RE4's quality are null-and-void, JACK. Cuz a tremendous amount of fans and critics LOVED it.

I didn't appreciate the action-game leanings (at first), but I know it's a "Good Game". The masses have spoken. So in a sense, I was "wrong"... And the funny thing is, over time, I have indeed come to see the light and find the magic in it... As I did with RE5, finally, accepting it whole-heartedly into the pantheon as a righteous member of the series. Same with the movies.

I'm sure in time, I will find "Raccoon City" and RE6 belong, as well... Sometimes, it takes time and distance to see the true meaning of a piece of art.

daltone_uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 daltone_uk
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Am I the only person on the planet who thinks RE4 was very pretty but utterly terrible to play? It was Win Back with better graphics.

tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 tab134
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
they should have stopped at 4.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MonkeySpot

Am I the only person on the planet who thinks RE4 was very pretty but utterly terrible to play? It was Win Back with better graphics.

daltone_uk

"Winback" is one word, great game, but I don't see the correlation... Two VERY different games, in so many ways...

daltone_uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 daltone_uk
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Really? I thought Winback (all one word) was pretty bad.

I see it this way - if you take away the auto aim and the cover mechanic, and just leave the laser sight and just leave the "move to position, aim whilst standing static, shoot" bit you basically have RE4. It even has the clunky movement controls.

When you consider that Max Payne was released on the PC in 2001 having a clunky, cumbersome "action" RE4 in 2005 didn't really impress me. MP was all about movement, RE4s gameplay was based around the very limited control you have over your character (seriously, if you could run and shoot the game would be incredibly easy.) In that respect it's not much of a jump from the previous REs, with their tank like control schemes, and a pretty dull action game to boot.

Anyway, that is just me!

Avatar image for Admiral-lemnant
Admiral-lemnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Admiral-lemnant
Member since 2013 • 160 Posts
Should have stopped when Silent Hill came out.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#42 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

no revelations was awsome if they stopped at 5 we wouldn't have seen revelations lolÂ