Do you think Skyrim is overrated?

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Bugs and glitches aside, Skyrim is a good game with it's detailed world to explore, a few interesting NPC's and cool guilds like the dark brotherhood, but it does get boring after a while with it's clunky combat and endless fetch quests.

The excitement of fighting dragons wears off after your 4th or 5th fight when you realize they're not as menancing as the game world makes out them to be. I've found giants to pose way more of a threat than dragons since they can one shot kill you and send you flying into orbit early in the game.

The reason I ask this is because any rpg released since Skyrim immediately gets compared to Skyrim like it's the king of all action rpgs or the set bar by which all future action rpgs must measure up to.

After about 60 or so hours of Skyrim, I took a break and had more fun with so called 'lesser' rpg's. I will say some rpg's compliment Skyrim in terms of offering an alternative but I don't see how Skyrim is the magnum opus of all rpgs.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

Yes, I think it is the most overrated game this generation, you make a good point about the fetch quests, but the bugs and glitches are the real killer making the game unplayable sending the game well below average (on PS3 at least), I give it a 4.5/10 but that is being generous.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
No. It's an amazing game, and in alll honesty the bugs and glitches are to be expected with a game that size and with an endless amount of quests. It's a game that I've played for more than 300 hours and I'm still playing it.
JackHeys92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 JackHeys92
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Skyrim is a great game however they should have focused more on armour and weapons so that theres a wider variety to choose from. Also the side quests just keep coming and coming and there is no end but definitely worth the money in duration.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

i wouldn't say its overated.

littledoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 littledoe
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
No, Skyrim, the fifth - and apparently final - entry in The Elder Scrolls saga is one of the year's biggest gaming releases, and a highly awaited one for RPG fans. kizi games
brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

No, Skyrim, the fifth - and apparently final - entry in The Elder Scrolls saga is one of the year's biggest gaming releases, and a highly awaited one for RPG fans. kizi gameslittledoe

Where did you here that? ES5 is far from the last entry. We will continue to see ES games over the years. The only thing is they take so long to make we may only see one every 6 years.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#8 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I've only seen it played, but from what I saw it looks like it gets more praise than it deserves. The world doesn't look that appealing to explore and the combat looks weak.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

very overrated and didnt deserve that game of the year award i mean honestly darksouls got a 9.5 and it got a 9.0? wtf?

bugs aside let me give you the rundown on this peice of crap

1 all i see is snow and really nothing more until im in a dungeon a town or the hot springs.

2.every quest is pretty much go into said dungeon clear it or get item etc etc.

3.every guild doesnt even rank you it's like*oh leader dies or retires hey rookie you have only been with us maybe 45 minutes you're the new guild master now*

4.dragon language they made it sound so cool in magz they made it sound like you could learn it as a full on second language in realife saying they got all the letters and such and pronouciations and blah blah blah. it really is a minor thing if anything

5.dragons are cool at first but they become boring and just a nucence to even deal with trolls and mommoths are more scary than them

6.the combat is still boring cool we can duel wield and have magic in the other hand. it's a nice eye candy but it's nothing special at all

7.they watered down the customisation. i want my lizard to glow bright blue damnit.

8.main quest was boring and done in 2 hours and you dont even know it ends.....it just well end

oblivion>>>>>>>>skyrim any day

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ShadowsDemon
[QUOTE="almasdeathchild"]

very overrated and didnt deserve that game of the year award i mean honestly darksouls got a 9.5 and it got a 9.0? wtf?

1 all i see is snow and really nothing more until im in a dungeon a town or the hot springs.

3.every guild doesnt even rank you it's like*oh leader dies or retires hey rookie you have only been with us maybe 45 minutes you're the new guild master now*

4.dragon language they made it sound so cool in magz they made it sound like you could learn it as a full on second language in realife saying they got all the letters and such and pronouciations and blah blah blah. it really is a minor thing if anything

5.dragons are cool at first but they become boring and just a nucence to even deal with trolls and mommoths are more scary than them

6.the combat is still boring cool we can duel wield and have magic in the other hand. it's a nice eye candy but it's nothing special at all

7.they watered down the customisation. i want my lizard to glow bright blue damnit.

8.main quest was boring and done in 2 hours and you dont even know it ends.....it just well end

Surely you can't be serious about oblivion being better than Skryim.... :|
brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 brucecambell

Not at all.

Skyrim ( & the Elder Scrolls series in general ) are the most fullly realized, most impressive fantasy worlds ever created. The games are not perfect, they do have their fair share of bugs, but they're an amazing none the less & offer far more than any other games.

Elder Scrolls will always be one of gamings biggest achievements

Skyrim_sunset.jpg

almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 almasdeathchild

ShadowsDemon

yea ive dumped atleast 3k hours into oblivion and skyrim i was boared and done by my 70th-100th hour

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#13 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

No. It is not overrated.

Avatar image for pokemonblackftw
pokemonblackftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pokemonblackftw
Member since 2010 • 425 Posts

Its an amazing game. Dark souls is too. Its not overrated and its not exagerating to say it was the best game to come out in a long time and one of gaming finest titles.

LessThanMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LessThanMike
Member since 2002 • 5364 Posts
Absolutely not
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#16 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

I loved it the first time through, all 70 hours. Once I tried to do a new playthrough, the game just fell apart. I couldn't get into it.

Should probably mention I played Fallout New Vegas after my first playthrough of Skyrim.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
A little bit. Don't get me wrong, the game is excellent is many respects but at the same time the game is way too streamlined for it's own good. Character progression is a joke: attributes are completely gone, no classes, some perks that were once attributes are either clumped together or completely gone. Guild quest lines still don't match up to Morrowind: Guild quest lines are barely 7 quests long, no rank progression, no ability check for advancement (I became head of the College with barely any magic use) There are a lot of other things that bother me about Skyrim but these stand out for me the most.
brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 brucecambell

A little bit. Don't get me wrong, the game is excellent is many respects but at the same time the game is way too streamlined for it's own good. Character progression is a joke: attributes are completely gone, no classes, some perks that were once attributes are either clumped together or completely gone. Guild quest lines still don't match up to Morrowind: Guild quest lines are barely 7 quests long, no rank progression, no ability check for advancement (I became head of the College with barely any magic use) There are a lot of other things that bother me about Skyrim but these stand out for me the most.AcidSoldner

& what about having no inventory management for your items in chests & storage places? For someone who is a compullsive hoarder in these games i have to go through 50,000 items just to get what i want. It literally, & i mean literally...... breaks the game for me.

I could spend an hour getting the items i want then 5 minutes later come back & want to drop, or switch out items again only to spend another hour looking through my loot. Oblivions inventory worked beautifully, Skyrim there is no point in playing if i cant access my sh!t when i need it.

I spend more time sorting through my items than actually playing the game. Something as simply as the lack of item management really kills the game for me.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AcidSoldner

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]A little bit. Don't get me wrong, the game is excellent is many respects but at the same time the game is way too streamlined for it's own good. Character progression is a joke: attributes are completely gone, no classes, some perks that were once attributes are either clumped together or completely gone. Guild quest lines still don't match up to Morrowind: Guild quest lines are barely 7 quests long, no rank progression, no ability check for advancement (I became head of the College with barely any magic use) There are a lot of other things that bother me about Skyrim but these stand out for me the most.brucecambell

& what about having no inventory management for your items in chests & storage places? For someone who is a compullsive hoarder in these games i have to go through 50,000 items just to get what i want. It literally, & i mean literally...... breaks the game for me.

I could spend an hour getting the items i want then 5 minutes later come back & want to drop, or switch out items again only to spend another hour looking through my loot. Oblivions inventory worked beautifully, Skyrim there is no point in playing if i cant access my sh!t when i need it.

I spend more time sorting through my items than actually playing the game. Something as simply as the lack of item management really kills the game for me.

Inventory was pretty gimped too. It's looked pretty, for sure, but it was short on practical functionality. If there was a least some sort of search feature at least. And hot keys on consoles, went from 8 to 2. The hell is that sh!t?
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#20 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Skyrim isn't overrated. It has weaknesses such as the combat, the inventory/items/weapons/armor, the story, and the level up system, but every game has faults

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

Yes i do, i couldnt get into it, it felt clunky to me.

But good for everyone that enjoys it..:)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts
No I don't think Skyrim is over-rated at all, it's an absolutely amazing game. As much as I enjoyed Oblivion when it came out I found that Skyrim was an improvement over it in every aspect. It is such a vast and beautiful world to explore and I love how all the characters and creatures bring it to such life.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#23 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

It is overrated. Absolutely.

Better games, such as Portal 2 and Batman: AC, had little faults to them and deserved the GOTY awards. But Skyrim had a **** load of glitches and bugs in them and it still got GOTY.

WTF?

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AcidSoldner

Better games, such as Portal 2 and Batman: AC, had little faults to them and deserved the GOTY awards. But Skyrim had a **** load of glitches and bugs in them and it still got GOTY.

WTF?

Metamania
I can handle the bugs and the glitches, it's to be expected of a game as vast and expansive as Skyrim. It the extreme of amount of streamlining done to many of the series core game mechanics that people have issues with.
Syk0_k03r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Syk0_k03r
Member since 2008 • 1147 Posts

Horribly overrated

sh!t quests, sh!t writing, mindnumbingly boring gameplay, shamefully dumbed down, and boasts what is perhaps the worst UI to date.

The praise this game gets is disgusting

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

WTF?

Metamania

It got GOTY due to fanboyism. I brought Skyrim in November and had to wait 3 months for Beth to sort out bugs enough to make it playable.

Mohsiuddin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mohsiuddin
Member since 2011 • 32 Posts
I didnt encounter many bugs in the pc, except for the occational dragon skeleton in front of my house (easily fixed with console). And the gameplay was pretty smooth in high detail. The only annoying thing to me was how you'd have to get off your horse every time to kill a wolf, or how your horse would kick that dragon to death before you get to deliver the final blow, or... come to think of it, there were quite a few annoying things, but the game was fun.
pvpshops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 pvpshops
yes i think so
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Probably the most overrated this gen.

Beef_Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Beef_Noodles
Well I spent around 100 hours on it, so it'd be hard to say it's bad. I don't like the fact that it's too easy to "cheat" your way through to being ultra strong, by either using the commands or smithing + enchanting + alchemy. Also there aren't enough weapons or enemies in the game. They put far to much emphasis on the size of the world. I could never be bothered to explore it all, just all the same textures, enemies, and items to gather, new places start to seem even less new. As far as bugs, well I'm so used to playing emulators, the glitches and bugs go unnoticed by me, not very picky about such things.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ShadowsDemon

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="almasdeathchild"]

almasdeathchild

yea ive dumped atleast 3k hours into oblivion and skyrim i was boared and done by my 70th-100th hour

3k of hours? O_o
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

WTF?

HipHopBeats

It got GOTY due to fanboyism. I brought Skyrim in November and had to wait 3 months for Beth to sort out bugs enough to make it playable.

Although my theory is highly unproven, companies and awards shows were more than likely paid off by Bethesda to give it GOTY and ignore everything else. Wishful thinking, I know, but it could very well be true.

Case in point; Game Informer gave Batman AC a 10 and I think Skyrim got a 9 or 9.5. And yet, it still won GOTY? Just because a game is vast and expansive doesn't necessarily mean it's a good game. Critics just simply don't get it.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Yes,somewhat.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
No, Skyrim does a lot of things well, I just didn't enjoy it.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

WTF?

Metamania

Although my theory is highly unproven, companies and awards shows were more than likely paid off by Bethesda to give it GOTY and ignore everything else. Wishful thinking, I know, but it could very well be true.

Case in point; Game Informer gave Batman AC a 10 and I think Skyrim got a 9 or 9.5. And yet, it still won GOTY? Just because a game is vast and expansive doesn't necessarily mean it's a good game. Critics just simply don't get it.

Right...because scores mean EVERYTHING when deciding on GOTY. Right?

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AcidSoldner

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

WTF?

Metamania

Fallout: New Vegas is the best Bethesda published RPG this gen and it got a 7.5 here. Just sayin'.
Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

Skyrim isn't overrated at all. I'm sure that for every one person that hates Skyrim, there are 10 fans. Its just that the haters are the most vocal because they are the minority. Kind of like CoD, strongly scrutinized on game forums but yet every game they come out with breaks previous selling records.

In my opinion, Skyrim is a fantastic game. I would say that it lived up to my expectations. However, that snowy barren atmosphere really drained me. And it seems to have that affect on me every time I try to come back to it. Then it doesn't help that the combat isn't all that impressive.

With Skyrim it's basically like I bought this luxurious car that I've desired for a long time, and then I come to realize that at the end of the day - it's just a car.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts
I'm not sure where I stand on Skyrim... I tried it and thought that it was a good quality game, but there is something about it that I just don't like... I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's the combat?? Felt abit strange to me. I had the same feeling with Oblivion, maybe it's a Bethesda thing. So I guess I do think it's overrated.
Grovilis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#39 Grovilis
Member since 2008 • 3728 Posts

No. I'm not a huge fan of the game, but I can certainly understand why people love it so much.

true_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 true_gamer007
Member since 2011 • 433 Posts

Skyrim is buggy, glitchy and repititive in terms of fetch quests. Yes, it is a bit.

But why is it GOTY? It is because we can not ignore the STRENGTHS of that game which SIGNIFICANTLY outweighs its WEAKNESSES.

almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 almasdeathchild

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] Surely you can't be serious about oblivion being better than Skryim.... :|ShadowsDemon

3k of hours? O_o

yea thats atleast a full years time since it was released in 06. skyrim is just inferior

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

Goyoshi12

Right...because scores mean EVERYTHING when deciding on GOTY. Right?

No.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

AcidSoldner

Fallout: New Vegas is the best Bethesda published RPG this gen and it got a 7.5 here. Just sayin'.

Well, that's your opinion, friend. You must have loved that game enough to buy it.

And Fallout New Vegas did receive low scores...I don't think it won GOTY though from a lot of critics.

Also, to HipHopBeats, scores have NOTHING to do with GOTY. At all. A game like Batman: Arkham City had little to no flaws and did everything just about right. You take a look like Skyrim and there's some problems to be found within it, not just the bugs or glitches. Combat I found to be boring, they throw A LOT of fetch quests at you, most of them forced upon you without a choice, and I just didn't get the fun out of it. Also, like I said before; a world may be vast and expansive, but it all comes down to gameplay and how fun it is and you know what? I didn't get the fun I wanted out of the game at all. So it didn't deserve GOTY whatsoever, not in my viewpoint anyway. Thus, it is overrated and overhyped to death. ES shouldn't be the measuring stick that all RPGs, both Western and Japanese, should be judged by and unfortunately, that's the view of many critics...if it fails to beat Skyrim's standards, you're nothing. Sad.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

No

In fact it's one of my fav games of all time.

lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

ShadowsDemon

yeah...i mean the production values of skyrim are better...but if memory serves right, oblivion was the graphic benchmark until crysis came out...skyrim wasnt nearly that...also...all the quests and such were better in oblivion. i had way more fun with the dark brotherhood in oblivion, and the fighters guild was actually good and the quest lines for each of the factions was much longer than in skyrim...and the combat isnt thaaaat much better than oblivion. which isnt saying much when oblivions wasnt any better than morrowind...

lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"][QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

Well, that's your opinion, friend. You must have loved that game enough to buy it.

And Fallout New Vegas did receive low scores...I don't think it won GOTY though from a lot of critics.

Also, to HipHopBeats, scores have NOTHING to do with GOTY. At all. A game like Batman: Arkham City had little to no flaws and did everything just about right. You take a look like Skyrim and there's some problems to be found within it, not just the bugs or glitches. Combat I found to be boring, they throw A LOT of fetch quests at you, most of them forced upon you without a choice, and I just didn't get the fun out of it. Also, like I said before; a world may be vast and expansive, but it all comes down to gameplay and how fun it is and you know what? I didn't get the fun I wanted out of the game at all. So it didn't deserve GOTY whatsoever, not in my viewpoint anyway. Thus, it is overrated and overhyped to death. ES shouldn't be the measuring stick that all RPGs, both Western and Japanese, should be judged by and unfortunately, that's the view of many critics...if it fails to beat Skyrim's standards, you're nothing. Sad.

^^ then almost every rpg ive ever played is the best thing since sliced bread...cause, at least in my opinion, there are few games that i find as boring as skyrim...

Prince_Rhymz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Prince_Rhymz
Member since 2012 • 107 Posts
I really enjoyed sky rim but I think it has many flaws and shouldn't be classed as the best rpg because it's not
FoxeoGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 FoxeoGames
Member since 2011 • 55 Posts

When I reviewed Skyrim, I mentioned that while the overall experience is awesome and engrossing, no one particular element of the game stands out on its own. At least, I think I mentioned that.

For example, the graphics, when viewed up close, are pretty low-res and don't look real great. The music, other than perhaps the voiced intro song, is pretty forgettable. The combat is still a bit stilted, particularly with melee. Also, shooting things with projective magic or bows can be very difficult at times as the game seems to lack the precision necessary to do it consistently. The story is alright, but nothing spectacular. NONE of the characters really stand out or seem even all that dynamic. In fact, the majority of the characters in the game are terribly static, and even if they do change it's very slightly. The voice acting is also good, but again, nothing to write home about.

Skyrim, like Oblivion, is about the entirety of the whole experience. It's about being engrossed in a large, open world. Taken piece by piece, the game just doesn't seem nearly so good.

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]No. It's an amazing game, and in alll honesty the bugs and glitches are to be expected with a game that size and with an endless amount of quests. It's a game that I've played for more than 300 hours and I'm still playing it.

Endless quests? Lol. It amazes me that anyone could play such a shallow game for 300 hours. It's good tough.
Hate_Squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 Hate_Squad
Member since 2007 • 1357 Posts

of course,its just that non-gamers or people that havent played rpg's before played it and now they think its the second coming of jesus cause they have nothing else to compare it with