Do you ever use a walkthrough for a game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iano-87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 iano-87
Member since 2010 • 685 Posts

I just made this thread to see how many of you out there would use a walkthrough for a game.

I don't personally, because one of the things I love about games is the sense of accomplishment as soon as you complete them or get that high score etc.

There are some exceptions however, say for example iv'e been stuck on a part of a game for days and im getting no enjoyment from running around in circles anymore, I might refer to a guide online just for a nudge in the right direction. (it usually ends up to be a switch on the wall I couldn't see or something equally as trivial haha)

Shiggums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#2 Shiggums
Member since 2007 • 21436 Posts

Quite often, yes. Mostly if I get stuck at some point in the game I'm playing, but sometimes I use it the whole way through.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

Any Legend of Zelda Game. Right from start to finish. You'll probably LOL at me, but I don't care.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Yeah, I use walkthroughs, and that's one of the main reasons why I ****ing hate videogames.

Recent example. I was playing Fallout 3 recently. I found myself in a certain area, and knew where I had to go in order to progress. There was a door guarded by a little girl. There were levers to open the door, but they didn't work when I tried to use them.

So I got some annoying little punkass little **** to join me. Hopefully, since there were two people in my party, and two levers, that'd get the job done. But nope.

So...I saw that the door was guarded by a little girl. So I tried pulling out my gun and shooting her in the damn face. But nope. That's when I was reminded that Fallout 3 is a chicken**** load of crap. I didn't manage to blow the girl's head of and then take the key to the door from her corpse. Because killing kids is somehow considered to be "bad", even though it's apparently okay to kidnap little girls and sell them into sexual slavery :roll:.

So...trying to kill the girl didn't work. Trying to manually open the door didn't work. Nothing seemed to work.

So I read a walkthrough.

Apparently, the solution is to talk to a dude WHO I ALREADY ****ING TALKED TO, and decided to not pursue that course of that person's dialogue tree.

**** this kind of ****. Seriously. This is a load of goddamned ****ing horse****. It's one thing to have to checka walkthrough in order to complete a side quest. But I was on THE MAIN ****ING QUEST, and could not proceed until I went a certain way along a certain person's dialogue tree. And the game was chicken**** enough to not even allow me to blow their ****ing heads off and just take the key.

And jesus christ, THERE WASN"T EVEN A KEY. It was an UNLOCKED DOOR. UNLOCKED!!!! How did the door get opened? By turning two levers. Which me and my party member could have done ON OUR OWN, without having to track down the one specific person who had the dialogue options needed to open the door.

And THIS kind of **** is EXACTLY why I ****ing hate videogames. This **** doesn't make an ounce of freaking sense, and there's no damn reason why I have to check a ****ing walkthrough just to get through the main quest. And all because the game for some stupid and incomprehensible reason doesn't allow AN UNLOCKED DOOR to get opened unless I activate a SPECIFIC line of dialogue with THE PERSON WHO ISN'T EVEN GUARDING THE ****ING DOOR.

Oh my God, you have no idea how much this kind of **** pisses me off. **** videogames. Urrgh!! This kind of **** is the reason why I stopped playing games in the first place, and I'm about to stop again. I mean, am I playing to have FUN? Or am I playing because I like getting abused and treated like ****? This kind of **** (along with bvroken consoles and having to pay extra for content that should have been on the game disc) is just one more example leading credence to the theory that game developers simply ****ing hate us and do everything in their power to make us miserable.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Calvin079

I know. You do something figuring it wuill help you, only to find out that some puck you already talked to/did something to or with is the answer. You're just going, well DUH. that was dumb...etc. :|

linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts
I do if I'm stuck, but I generally try to avoid it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f3c81036be81
deactivated-5f3c81036be81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5f3c81036be81
Member since 2009 • 582 Posts

i try not to, i haven't done it for the ps3 that much except for a few things...the locations of the riddler maps in baa, and using cheats in gtaiv. otherwise on the ps3 ive been pretty good, i kept patient during uncharted 2 in particular when i didnt know what to do to solve something and figured it out rather then using a walkthrough. its a great feeling when you do something hard with a bit of patience rather then using a walkthrough.

but the wii...i needed the walkthrough for zelda tp, and for some parts of super paper mario.

chelseaman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 chelseaman99
Member since 2009 • 229 Posts

Only if I get stuck. Although sometimes I do read the start of guides to get a general feel for the weapons, whatever.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
I used to use them all the time for every game but for the last couple of years I've tried to avoid them. Reading through all those walkthroughs can be very time consuming. Generally the only time I would use them nowadays is for the more strategy based WRPGS that have unique weapons hidden in hard to reach places or that require you to make special decisions in side quests to get that special weapon or armor.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
Never. What is the point of playing then? You may as well have a game hold you by the hand and tell you where to go ala FFX(the one thing that ruined that game for me). Hopefully FF XIII will be the next greatest FF since FF IX. Anyway, not to go OT so back on topic. Now if you need help on a certain spot then fine. Go look how to beat that boss/puzzle/get through that tough area. A walk through for a whole game just seems pointless to me but that's just my opinion.
dragonage22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dragonage22
Member since 2009 • 167 Posts

Only if I get truly stuck to save me wasting time running around getting board. Or perhaps if a boss is particularly hard and there is a rather remote technique I should have used but never thought of at the time, or just to see if I am at the correct level in an rpg for the area I am in.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Calvin079

There are some types ofgames that just need walkthroughs. Role Playingand Adventure games come to mind. However, not every single game that comes out needs a walkthrough.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
I do most of the time. I just enjoy reading them for one thing. It wouldn't be the first time I've read the walkthrough for a game I don't even have..
Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

As a rule no, but I'll admit it, I used a walkthrough for almost the entirety of Lost Odyssey. I don't know why I felt it was necessary but I did it nonetheless. Sure, I beat the game, but at the end of it all it seemed that I hadn't taken part in an epic quest to reclaim my life so much as I had simply followed a set of instructions from a book, like I was making beef Wellington or something. So I'll try to avoid that in future.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

As a rule no, but I'll admit it, I used a walkthrough for almost the entirety of Lost Odyssey. I don't know why I felt it was necessary but I did it nonetheless. Sure, I beat the game, but at the end of it all it seemed that I hadn't taken part in an epic quest to reclaim my life so much as I had simply followed a set of instructions from a book, like I was making beef Wellington or something. So I'll try to avoid that in future.

Business_Fun
That is how I was thinking it would feel and if you (in general) paid 60 hard earned bucks then that would seem a waste to me but to each their own.
Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

[QUOTE="Business_Fun"]

Dracula68

That is how I was thinking it would feel and if you (in general) paid 60 hard earned bucks then that would seem a waste to me but to each their own.

Something was subtracted from the experience, there's no denying it. I think I paid between 20 and 30 Sterling for it; not sure what that approximates to in USD.

majinstrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 majinstrings
Member since 2004 • 3109 Posts

I often use walkthroughs...I mostly rent games so I've got 5 days to finish them...if a game is getting too tricky or if I'm tryng to get all the collectibles in a game, I'll use a walkthrough...

I was able to finish andget all of the achievments for Assassin's Creed 2 in 5 days because of a Featherwalkthrough I found on youtube...

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#20 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I think a better question would be, when do I not use walkthroughs? =P
calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#21 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

I do if I think it will amplify the experience, but I haven't used them for a long time when it comes to the games of this generation. I also just like to read walkthroughs, They're often quite fun to read. :D

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#22 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
In three circumstances - if I get stuck overthinking for more than 15-30 minutes on one stupid thing, if I'm scrounging up collectables, or if I'm playing a game (usually an RPG) for the second time. Some games have very simple solutions to obtuse problems and they're easy to overlook. RPGs in particular tend to have the dumbest triggers for advancing the story, where you have to talk to the most random townsperson to get a clip of dialogue that will unlock another person to give you a club that will allow you to proceed. The hunt for those things ceases to be fun after about 15 minutes of running around butting your head into the wall. If it's not a linear RPG, though, I'll usually skip the walkthrough and go and do a sidequest and then come back later. In the same vein, many RPGs have the most ridiculous methods for unlocking abilities or items or characters. Most recent there would be Tales of Vesperia, which I've been playing through with a walkthrough the second time - so many quests hinge on talking to the right people at exactly the right time in the story. Advance just too far before talking to them and it'll be gone forever. It's almost on the level of stupid of Final Fantasy XII's secret weapon.
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
I used the guide that came with Demons Souls.
kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts

I used one for myst and riven.

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
I use it every so often when I'm stuck in a game.
jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
I don't start an RPG without having the guide (gamefaqs) readily available..
bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#27 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
Yes sometimes I try not to but if I'm stuck setting there for awhile I'll use one until I'm past that part.
cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

I used one for Curse of Monkey Island & Lands of Lore: GoD when I was 9 or 10 & recently used a walkthrough for Deus Ex just for one little situation.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

Yes, but mainly for rpg's or when I get stuck in a game real bad.

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#30 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
I use to, but that was only because I felt compelled to see it all and complete everything (achievements, hidden easter eggs, etc). Now I don't bother though. I hate playing games worrying about having to find everything and making checks as I find things.
NLahren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#31 NLahren
Member since 2009 • 1927 Posts
use them for rpgs
Avatar image for ratchet_ruler88
ratchet_ruler88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 ratchet_ruler88
Member since 2005 • 535 Posts

Only when I get stuck or lost.

boxofwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 boxofwonder
Member since 2009 • 467 Posts

i used my very first one around a week ago for silent hill 2, i picked it up thinking it would basically be resident evil, not knowing it was kinda cryptic, used it a couple times until i got the hang of looking in EVERY room. does kinda spoil thefeeling of accomplishmentwhen you use them though so not planning on doing it again.

Sky-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sky-
Member since 2010 • 4682 Posts
I use them for RPGs because I need to finish the game 100%, and I hate when I miss a certain item or a part in the game where I could get another character or something like that.
NeoMerlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35 NeoMerlin
Member since 2009 • 85 Posts

Sure. I've used game guides before. No shame in that. Games are meant to be enjoyed and there's nothing enjoyable on running around through every section of the game you've been before looking for what you're supposed to do next. This can be because I have a moment of stupidity and the answer is obvious or it could be because I stopped playing the game six months ago and have no idea what I was on.

Of course there's no shortage of times when the reason I don't what I'm supposed to do is because that oddly coloured sea shell I picked up six hours ago in the game is now meant to be combined with my character's pet kitten to summon Satan himself to cook a gourmet italian dinner for my character's boss so he can get the promotion and be given the key to the door to the next stage and the only clue I've got is a note on the fridge written in sonnet telling me to order a pizza. Sometimes the way to get ahead in the game is just a little too obscure for my brain to work out and I need some help.

So yes. Yes I've used walk throughs before.

The_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 The_89
Member since 2009 • 594 Posts

I wont use a guide until I am ready to give up because I can't figure out where to go next. I will try time and time again before I look at a guide. And when I eventually do look at a guide, it is just for the part I'm really stuck on -- I don't read anything before or after. So in general, no I don't use them. But if I'm stuck, and the choice is between a guide or giving up? I'll take a guide every time

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#37 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

Yes, but not for RPG's like Fallout 3 or Dragon Age ect. I enjoy those games too much that I don't want to spoil anything.

Action adventure games quite often throw in a boss that has some single way to beat it, and I can't be assed to figure that out so I just use a walkthrough so I can perform the section and get it out the way.

TheRedStrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheRedStrike
Member since 2007 • 603 Posts

Yeah, I use walkthroughs, and that's one of the main reasons why I ****ing hate videogames.

Recent example. I was playing Fallout 3 recently. I found myself in a certain area, and knew where I had to go in order to progress. There was a door guarded by a little girl. There were levers to open the door, but they didn't work when I tried to use them.

So I got some annoying little punkass little **** to join me. Hopefully, since there were two people in my party, and two levers, that'd get the job done. But nope.

So...I saw that the door was guarded by a little girl. So I tried pulling out my gun and shooting her in the damn face. But nope. That's when I was reminded that Fallout 3 is a chicken**** load of crap. I didn't manage to blow the girl's head of and then take the key to the door from her corpse. Because killing kids is somehow considered to be "bad", even though it's apparently okay to kidnap little girls and sell them into sexual slavery :roll:.

So...trying to kill the girl didn't work. Trying to manually open the door didn't work. Nothing seemed to work.

So I read a walkthrough.

Apparently, the solution is to talk to a dude WHO I ALREADY ****ING TALKED TO, and decided to not pursue that course of that person's dialogue tree.

**** this kind of ****. Seriously. This is a load of goddamned ****ing horse****. It's one thing to have to checka walkthrough in order to complete a side quest. But I was on THE MAIN ****ING QUEST, and could not proceed until I went a certain way along a certain person's dialogue tree. And the game was chicken**** enough to not even allow me to blow their ****ing heads off and just take the key.

And jesus christ, THERE WASN"T EVEN A KEY. It was an UNLOCKED DOOR. UNLOCKED!!!! How did the door get opened? By turning two levers. Which me and my party member could have done ON OUR OWN, without having to track down the one specific person who had the dialogue options needed to open the door.

And THIS kind of **** is EXACTLY why I ****ing hate videogames. This **** doesn't make an ounce of freaking sense, and there's no damn reason why I have to check a ****ing walkthrough just to get through the main quest. And all because the game for some stupid and incomprehensible reason doesn't allow AN UNLOCKED DOOR to get opened unless I activate a SPECIFIC line of dialogue with THE PERSON WHO ISN'T EVEN GUARDING THE ****ING DOOR.

Oh my God, you have no idea how much this kind of **** pisses me off. **** videogames. Urrgh!! This kind of **** is the reason why I stopped playing games in the first place, and I'm about to stop again. I mean, am I playing to have FUN? Or am I playing because I like getting abused and treated like ****? This kind of **** (along with bvroken consoles and having to pay extra for content that should have been on the game disc) is just one more example leading credence to the theory that game developers simply ****ing hate us and do everything in their power to make us miserable.

MrGeezer
nerdrage much? I only use walkthroughs if I absolutely need them
Avatar image for princecaspian38
princecaspian38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 princecaspian38
Member since 2008 • 636 Posts

i love to play video games and use walkthroughs i happen to have a players guide to mario and luigi superstars saga for gba it,s very helpful to me .:)

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Sure if I'm stuck and at a loss of what to do, then yeah.
Hseptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Hseptic
Member since 2003 • 1566 Posts

The only game I didn't use a walkthrough for was Rainbow Six Rogue Spear.

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts

Walkthroughs? never
item/ability faqs to determine my character build almost always

Donhaz101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Donhaz101
Member since 2009 • 153 Posts

No i dont use a walkthrough for a game

But i only do when im stuck on a level if its like on veteren mode or something an i keep dying and have to restart it over and over again and i need a nudge in the right place.:)

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
I use them for RPGs because I need to finish the game 100%, and I hate when I miss a certain item or a part in the game where I could get another character or something like that.Sky-
I'm a completionist, and I'm terrified of missing something.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#45 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Sure, I bookmark most of GS, and will use them if I get stuck, but will come back and really read them on second playthru's if I really want to grab everything.
Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts
After I complete a game and I'm going through the second or third time trying to unlock stuff or find secrets and I'm stuck, I'll come on here and check out the hints section of the game. I don't really do that too often, though, as most games I want to complete 100%, I enjoy figuring out everything myself.
acidicadis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 acidicadis
Member since 2009 • 580 Posts

I sometimes don't use them, and I sometimes do. If I can't find where to go, then I'll use a walkthrough to help me out.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#48 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
On the first playthrough, no, unless I'm really stuck; although I will sometimes look at tips in rpgs in how to build a good character or good combat tactics. However, I'll use it quite often on a second playthrough to help me experience all the things I might have missed.
tequilero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#49 tequilero
Member since 2005 • 9333 Posts

Yeah,right now i´m using one of the RE5 guides to know where are all the BSAA emblems and the treasures.