Did MGS lose a lot of it's magic for you after the first? This may be why.

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AlwaysSoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AlwaysSoft
Member since 2007 • 154 Posts

For a lot of people (me included), the MGS series just never managed to capture the magic of MGS1 going into it's sequels.

For awhile I theorized that this might have quite a bit to do with quality of the English translation, or lack thereof, in the games post-MGS1. The characters, the dialogue ....... something just seemed off in MGS2, and to some extent, in MGS3 as well. I just could not find myself getting into the characters or being terribly interested in what any of them had to say. They just did'nt sound very natural I suppose. At least not on the same level as they did in the first MGS.

Here is an interview I think every MGS fan needs to hear. It's slightly depressing to think that the MGS sequels could've been so much more enjoyable than they were if not for clashing egos and opportunistic writers. I've always felt that Kojima was not quite the "genius" that so many make him out to be, and despite how many artistic pictures he takes with glasses on, finger on chin, staring into the camera like he's in deep thought, It's always been quite apparent to me that the true stars of the show were those writing the script for the English translation. Making the characters seem more real than just sticking to a direct translation of what is ultimately a ridiculous script when left untouched.

It pretty much confirmed my beliefs when Jeremy Blaustein (the subject of this particular podcast) said "I tried to write that script as best I could, but they still snuck some things past me. Do you think love can bloom on the battlefield? Do you really believe I wanted that in the game?"

Given that the line "Do you think love can bloom on the battlefield?" is the most out of place line in all of MGS1, and to this day elicits snickers from me and my friends when we reminisce about it, I tend to believe the original would've been that much better if Blaustein had been given more creative freedom. Obviously, he lost all control after MGS1, and the disappointing sequels are the by product of this.

I'm sure there will be tons of MGS fans in here calling this guy a whiner, proclaiming Kojima a genius, and saying things like " the MGS sequels were every bit as good as the first ........ if not better!", but please try and be open-minded when you listen to this interview.

To think that if this guy could've kept editing the script, we very likely would've beenspared such trash as "Liquid is an arm now!", and the crotch-grabbing President.

http://www.metalgearsolid.org/show_news.php?id=1218

DarKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DarKre
Member since 2003 • 9529 Posts
Meh, I think the quirky nature of the story line is what makes MGS....MGS.
E3BigC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 E3BigC
Member since 2004 • 411 Posts
I could never get into the MGS games, mainly because the characters were a bit too cheesy for me, not to mention I didn't think the gameplay was very entertaining. I don't know if that adds anything to this thread tho...
AlwaysSoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AlwaysSoft
Meh, I think the quirky nature of the story line is what makes MGS....MGS.DarKre
True, however there is good quirky (Vulcan Raven acknowledging he is a real contender in the annual Alaskan pie-eating contest), and there's over-done quirky (Fat demolitions expert on rollerskates teams up with bisexual vampire to take down feminine, nude, cartwheeling Raiden).
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#5 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

Personally, I disliked MGS1

It had... how should I say? Too many corny moments (like Otacon asking about love in battlefield to Snake), and it wasn't really the evolution I expected from Metal Gear series (I played it liked it, but didn't love it back then) in terms of story. I thought it will take more realistic presentation, but instead MGS went way far into abstract story telling.

My love for MGS series started with MGS2 and that's when I started to appreciate it. When I played MGS3 I was beyond hooked.

Lee2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lee2000
Member since 2004 • 711 Posts
Yup
SaintRasmus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 SaintRasmus
Member since 2007 • 1479 Posts
The MGS story is to weird , the first was good , but the rest of MGS games is to complex and weird , because everyone is called .....Snake!!!!!
Avatar image for cornered_badger
cornered_badger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cornered_badger
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
The first one was great, but the second one kind of did it for me with the whole snake being dead, and you have to play as this he she Raiden that totally looks like a girl and complains just as much. The third one was good, and i hop #4 will set a whole new level for future espionage gaming.
Headbanger88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Headbanger88
Member since 2004 • 5023 Posts
I thought the third one was by far the best of the series mainly because of the depth of the gameplay and feeling like a total badass kicking ass in the jungle. Plus, The End was the best boss fight in the series.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Not at all! I always thought Kojima's stories were always the same. The only thing that people criticized was Raiden, but Metal Gear Solid 3 got the game back on track. It was one of my favorite last-gen games, maybe even one of my favorite games of all time. And MGS 3: Subsistence only took it to another level, a very high level.

Even though MGS 2 was criticized, the gameplay was still Metal Gear-"Solid," if you know what I mean.So no, MGS was always about the gameplay for me, and every version delivered, especially the third one.

Sushbag88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Sushbag88
Member since 2005 • 403 Posts
The magic kinda sputtered after the 2nd game, for me. I loved 1 and 2, but since 3 didn't really continue Snake's story I didn't care about it much. In terms of writing, they've always been rather ridiculous but that's one of the best things about MG. I'm certain that MGS4 will blow 3 away in terms of just entertainment value, and that's enough to say that I don't think the MGS magic is gone yet.
Garudoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Garudoh
Member since 2003 • 160 Posts

You bring up a pretty interesting point, and a good read, but I can't frankly say that this is the main culprit in my descending interest in the franchise. The first MGS grabbed me by the balls because it was an old franchise reborn in a way we had never seen prior, and offered gameplay that seemed completely new and refreshing. By the time the second one came out, its own popularity had diluted the pool and the game just didn't grab my attention as much, despite still being of high production values. Storyline and scripting played a part of it, but for me, it probably wasn't the straw that broke the camel's back.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy748
lilburtonboy748

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lilburtonboy748
Member since 2007 • 2536 Posts
I liked the first one the best cuz it wasn't so over the top. Some of it was actuallt believable.
Revelade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 Revelade
Member since 2005 • 1862 Posts

I could never get into the MGS games, mainly because the characters were a bit too cheesy for me, not to mention I didn't think the gameplay was very entertaining. I don't know if that adds anything to this thread tho...E3BigC
Precisely my opinion.

You have a lot of corny moments such as Snake being emotional and quotes like the love blooming. You have all this references to historic events, then you have Psycho Mantis and his leather stripper costume, floating in the air, or the big guy with his voodoo and birds. The gameplay eh, I'm not a fan of crawling in vents. The story, clashes with fantasy and realism.

I haven't tried 2 or 3 though.

swordofzaren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 swordofzaren
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Personally, I love the Metal Gear games. Cornyness and all, it just wouldn't be Metal Gear without corny moments. Like I love the whole roll in the barrel idea for MGS4. I do find it interesting that not one person has mentioned the themes that lied prevailent throughout each game. Gene, Meme, and.... Hmm, I can't remember what the third one was about.
Heat_Guy_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Heat_Guy_D
Member since 2005 • 5534 Posts
MGS 2 definitely didn't have the feel of the first, Raiden was a big reason for this but not the only one. I do feel they got back to good standards though with Snake Eater, and I think Patriots will be the ultimate MGS game for some time.
AlwaysSoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AlwaysSoft

Not at all! I always thought Kojima's stories were always the same. The only thing that people criticized was Raiden, but Metal Gear Solid 3 got the game back on track. It was one of my favorite last-gen games, maybe even one of my favorite games of all time. And MGS 3: Subsistence only took it to another level, a very high level.

Even though MGS 2 was criticized, the gameplay was still Metal Gear-"Solid," if you know what I mean.So no, MGS was always about the gameplay for me, and every version delivered, especially the third one.

ASK_Story

I wouldn't go that far. The only thing people criticized was Raiden? There were far more relevant complaints made than just Raiden. Raiden is one of the least substantial and viable complaints of the later MGS games in my opinion.

Yes I absolutely agree that the gameplay has been solid throughout the entire series and has never skipped a beat as far as I'm concerned, but don't sell MGS short. There is far more to the allure of MGS than just how fun it is to play (in the times you actually get a chance to control it of course). There is a lot of emotion in it's cinematics, deep connection the player feels for it's characters, and an atmosphere that sucks you in and makes you believe that these characters and the crisis at hand are real and important to you as well as the game world's inhabitants.

MGS without dialogue, cinematics, and script......... well it's certainly not MGS.

(EDIT) Did my spaces disappear due to some technical issue, or is it just me?

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#18 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

Personally, I love the Metal Gear games. Cornyness and all, it just wouldn't be Metal Gear without corny moments. Like I love the whole roll in the barrel idea for MGS4. I do find it interesting that not one person has mentioned the themes that lied prevailent throughout each game. Gene, Meme, and.... Hmm, I can't remember what the third one was about. swordofzaren

I agree and I agree with Johnathan guy who said anyone who doesn't like the cornyness in metal gear games should leave it and play splinter cell.

Mgs1 enemies were fox hound and they had longer history than dead cell and the boring bunch in mgs3 so it's nartural that you feel related or like the baddies in mgs1 more than mgs2 or 3. Besides the history, the gameplay was so little in mgs2 and the story was too long while the story was little*the dialougs were the worst in mgs3 especially the ones that took place between snake and the boss* and the cut-scenes weren't as climatic as in mgs1 or 2. As for the parts that were lost with translation, it's 100% natural when you try to translate any piece of story from a language to another that it loses it's magic, try watching bleach for instance in both english and japanese and tell me what ichigo you liked more. In the dubbed version he sounded slow and boring while in japanese he goes screaming and calls everybody son of a *****!

synce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 synce
Member since 2004 • 771 Posts
ALL of the MGS games have cheesy dialogue, and I love them for it. The original was more awesome than the rest only because it was the first game of its kind--it felt like an interactive Hollywood blockbuster. It has nothing to do with script.
AlwaysSoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AlwaysSoft

[QUOTE="swordofzaren"]Personally, I love the Metal Gear games. Cornyness and all, it just wouldn't be Metal Gear without corny moments. Like I love the whole roll in the barrel idea for MGS4. I do find it interesting that not one person has mentioned the themes that lied prevailent throughout each game. Gene, Meme, and.... Hmm, I can't remember what the third one was about. gamingqueen

I agree and I agree with Johnathan guy who said anyone who doesn't like the cornyness in metal gear games should leave it and play splinter cell.

Mgs1 enemies were fox hound and they had longer history than dead cell and the boring bunch in mgs3 so it's nartural that you feel related or like the baddies in mgs1 more than mgs2 or 3. Besides the history, the gameplay was so little in mgs2 and the story was too long while the story was little*the dialougs were the worst in mgs3 especially the ones that took place between snake and the boss* and the cut-scenes weren't as climatic as in mgs1 or 2. As for the parts that were lost with translation, it's 100% natural when you try to translate any piece of story from a language to another that it loses it's magic, try watching bleach for instance in both english and japanese and tell me what ichigo you liked more. In the dubbed version he sounded slow and boring while in japanese he goes screaming and calls everybody son of a *****!

The point is not that it's losing magic from the translation. It's that it is gaining magic through the superior writing skills of these American translators.

In the interview you will find they talk a bit about this. Basically, a lot of Japanese writers are influenced by American cinema (like Kojima), and are basically bouncing that right back at us. To a Japanese audience, a lot of this regurgitation is fine as it is new to them, however, to an American audience, the same line would seem absolutely ridiculous and cause nothing more than a chuckle (ie Do you think love can bloom on the battlefield?).

It is the duty of the American script writer/translator, to make sure the dialogue comes out naturally and entertaining to a Western audience.

Any fan of Japanese Anime can tell you just how painful a lot of direct translations can be to read or listen to. These are the results of an English script writer/ translator that just does'nt give a damn, and would rather leave the original dialogue unedited and directly translated. More often than not, as in the case of that one Disney translated anime who's name escapes me at the moment, the dialogue needs to be rewritten, humor needs to be added, and many changes have to be made. Japanese writing just would'nt appeal to most Western audiences in an untouched form.

I believe the person theyappointed to replace Blaustein called MGS2's script the worst script she had ever read. Obviously she didn't take the liberty of changing some things the way Blaustein did. A move that ultimately got him fired.

AquaMantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#22 AquaMantor
Member since 2004 • 7571 Posts
Metal Gear Solid is over the top and cheesy. If you don't like it that way, then I'm afraid that you don't like Metal Gear Solid's story, it's really that simple. You might like a reworked version of it, without all the cheesy dialogue, but in the end, that's just not Metal Gear Solid. MGS IS cheesy and over-the-top, with ridiculous dialgoue, and if any scriptwriter says it shouldn't be, then yes, they should probably be let go.
trophylocoste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 trophylocoste
Member since 2006 • 8454 Posts

Ya mgs2 only cause of raiden...He was corny and if anything he was the girl not rose marry.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts
No it hasn't really lost any of it's magic on me after the first game. Although there have been some things that annoyed me, mostly from MGS2, I find myself enjoying the series more with each passing game. What annoyed me most about MGS2 wasn't so much playing the game as Raiden but mostly the dialog between him and Rose and the incredibly melodramatic backstory of Otacon, god I've really came to find him to be such a whiny annoyance in that game. I absolutely loved MGS3 so I can't really think of anything that bothered me with that game. I thought the bosses were very cool and the fights were quite interesting. I really enjoyed the overall story and especially Ocelot's backstory.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HandsomeDead
Member since 2006 • 596 Posts
'Do you think love can bloom on the battlefield?' was one of my favourite linesi n the first game. Personally, I like my Metal Gear being overly poetic and highly quotable.
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
Hmm... maybe that's part of the reason I didn't like MGS2 as much. The other problem was the whole 'feel' of the game; it seemed like it was trying to be both more and less over-the-top than MGS1 (or rather the Twin Snakes; that's the version I played, and I loved the slight helpings of cheese the game had). MGS2 brought it totally ridiculous (and not-very-believeable) bosses, but also tried to make the story a complex parable about modern life.
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake > Metal Gear Solid

There I said it.

Actually, Metal Gear Solid mostly copies everything from MG2 and made it 3D, the only thing it added were the dragging of bodies and lazer pointer from what I can remember.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

The first MGS grabbed me by the balls because it was an old franchise reborn in a way we had never seen prior, and offered gameplay that seemed completely new and refreshing.

Garudoh
What's ironic, though, is that the only real reason that this was the case for us was because the Metal Gear titles that we had in the US wasn't anything like the original Metal Gear 1 and 2...and Metal Gear Solid's gameplay seemed really similar to the original Metal Gear 2, from what I've tried.
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts
^^^^Even the objectives and scenes are similar. *cough Womans Bathroom cough*
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 fs_metal
Member since 2005 • 25711 Posts
Every MG game since has recaptiured the magic of the original MGS. for me
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
After a lot of deliberating the first one probably still is the best, but they are all good. You just cant go wrong with one of these games. Actually the one that is worrying me the most is MGS4..... im not feeling it so much as the others. After MGS3 its gonna be really hard for them to top themselves.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gamingqueen
[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]

[QUOTE="swordofzaren"]Personally, I love the Metal Gear games. Cornyness and all, it just wouldn't be Metal Gear without corny moments. Like I love the whole roll in the barrel idea for MGS4. I do find it interesting that not one person has mentioned the themes that lied prevailent throughout each game. Gene, Meme, and.... Hmm, I can't remember what the third one was about. AlwaysSoft

The point is not that it's losing magic from the translation. It's that it is gaining magic through the superior writing skills of these American translators.

In the interview you will find they talk a bit about this. Basically, a lot of Japanese writers are influenced by American cinema (like Kojima), and are basically bouncing that right back at us. To a Japanese audience, a lot of this regurgitation is fine as it is new to them, however, to an American audience, the same line would seem absolutely ridiculous and cause nothing more than a chuckle (ie Do you think love can bloom on the battlefield?).

It is the duty of the American script writer/translator, to make sure the dialogue comes out naturally and entertaining to a Western audience.

Any fan of Japanese Anime can tell you just how painful a lot of direct translations can be to read or listen to. These are the results of an English script writer/ translator that just does'nt give a damn, and would rather leave the original dialogue unedited and directly translated. More often than not, as in the case of that one Disney translated anime who's name escapes me at the moment, the dialogue needs to be rewritten, humor needs to be added, and many changes have to be made. Japanese writing just would'nt appeal to most Western audiences in an untouched form.

I believe the person theyappointed to replace Blaustein called MGS2's script the worst script she had ever read. Obviously she didn't take the liberty of changing some things the way Blaustein did. A move that ultimately got him fired.

I didn't listen to the interview I've tried to listen to it ten times and it didn't work :( Why? was she the one who wrote mgs3 script? If so she's the one who should be fired. At least people do talk about their personal affairs and tiny bits about their lives no matter how silly they sounded but not talk about movies! Or CQC ! mgs3 dialougs and script were terrible compared to previous mgs games.

Minor details could have made mgs2 a better game like perhaps streching the gameplay, it had the best engine I don't know why the gameplay was so little, it made the gamer not anticipating cutscenes or surprises in the games. Also the soundtrack, imo Harry only did great with the main theme because I hated the jazz I know it's NY bla balbbal but it didn't fit. Anyone who says Raiden what ruined mgs2 is wrong and didn't get the point of mgs2. Raiden what saved mgs series.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gamingqueen

Hmm... maybe that's part of the reason I didn't like MGS2 as much. The other problem was the whole 'feel' of the game; it seemed like it was trying to be both more and less over-the-top than MGS1 (or rather the Twin Snakes; that's the version I played, and I loved the slight helpings of cheese the game had). MGS2 brought it totally ridiculous (and not-very-believeable) bosses, but also tried to make the story a complex parable about modern life.Funkyhamster

Heh infact mgs2 also had awesome bosses, one where you have to avoid being hit or seen, one where you defuse time bombs and hit the guy, one with tons of mgs rays and that was a blast and the awesomeness of kojima where you usethe katana on solidus I mean who thought of using a sword with all those weapons around? MGs2 was perfect alone but when you compared it to the first there are minor things that made it second.

AlwaysSoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AlwaysSoft

MGS is excellent cause the gameplay first and foremost the story just compliments it. Kojima is a genius, he is one of the best videogame designers in gaming history, who cares what he does with the story, thats just a side skill, he is a GAME designer.

dvader654

Please read my response to ASK_Story on the first page. I think it's doing the series a horrible injustice to sell it short like that.

Indeed the gameplay has been solid (if somewhat short) in all of the MGS games, but the true magic of the series and what has set it apart are it's cinematic cutscenes and engaging characters/story. The likes of which is beyond anything that has been seen in a game before and allows theviewer to become enthralled in the game and emotionally attached in a way that pure gameplay scenarios do not allow.

Yes sneaking in the bushes is fun, and so is cracking necks and dragging bodies. However, a memorable, blockbuster franchise with iconic main characters and a passionate following whom discusses anything and everything Metal Gear is something you do not have without the cinematics and dialogue. Both of which have pretty much become synonymous with MGS games. MGS is not MGS without it's most defining characteristic of course.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#37 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

Although slightly stretching the truth and exaggerating some things, this game has a lot of real world science and history behind it. I love the crazy metaphysical technobabble. It makes you think. Metal Gear has done nothing for me but get better with time.

AlwaysSoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AlwaysSoft

True but all that story means nothing if the game is not good

dvader654
That absolutely goes without saying.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#40 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts
[QUOTE="dvader654"]

AlwaysSoft

That's not always the case...

I've played some horrific games because the story was good. Don't dare presume for everyone.

AlwaysSoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AlwaysSoft
[QUOTE="AlwaysSoft"][QUOTE="dvader654"]

SemiMaster

That's not always the case...

I've played some horrific games because the story was good. Don't dare presume for everyone.

I suppose it depends on your tolerance level. I absolutely hated the fighting mechanics in KOTOR, but I had no problem tolerating it because the story andatmosphere were so great. Overall I ended up enjoying that game more than any MGS game and more than most games in general.

I enjoy the gameplay mechanics in MGS games. I do not think they are the best, but they are solid enough so that I don't consider them to be absolute torture when waiting for the next cutscene or codec call to appear.

So I guess in that case, you could say I liked a game with so-so gameplay more than another with good gameplay, based solely on it's qualities that are completely seperate from gameplay.

However, if KOTOR had taken the combat to an overboard area that is a level I would personally deem unacceptable (FF, Blue Dragon, JRPG level), then all of the great qualities in that game would not have mattered, because the gameplay would just be too farin the realm of boringfor me to enjoy even the best aspects that game has to offer.

AquaMantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#43 AquaMantor
Member since 2004 • 7571 Posts

But thats the point, it was still a horrific game, the story isn't going to magically make the game great.

dvader65

Hmm...but that's kind of beside the point. We're really not even talking about the gameplay here. It's the story we're discussing.

And, you're right, a good story won't make the game great if you simply look at it as a game. But that's the point of a good story, that's why games like that resonate with so many people, because it makes the expierience more than just a game. Shenmue I and II had questionable gameplay...at best. However, they were gorgeous, with excellent soundtracks, and people grew so attached to the storyline that, to this day, they still pound on their desks screaming "SHENMUE III"...and you can never quite get them to shut up about it.

And then there's also the idea of fusing story with gameplay to the point where neither feels separate. For example, in PoP: Sands of Time, you hear the prince narrating and having conversations with Farah while you're playing. In fact, the prince is never quiet for longer than thirty minutes. The game does everything it can to keep reminding you that it isn't just you playing the game, it's you playing as The Prince. And there are also games like Shadow of The Collosus. I swear that there are only 3 cutscenes in that game, but a lot is explained by the look on your characters face, how he moves, etc. You can see his desperation, inexpierience, and weakness.

And there are some games that would be nothing without a good story. Games like Hotel Dusk, Killer7, and pretty much every adventure game every made.

In reality, whether or not a good story can make a bad game great really depends on how heavy the gameplay is. If the gameplay is thin, and the plot is thick, then yes, a good story really can make a bad game worthwhile.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 gamingqueen

But mgs gameplay is too short to be remembered. I now know why you liked mgs3 so much...

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 gamingqueen
True. Although the level design wasn't attractiveconsidering you were either in a plant or a military base but going in and out rooms was fun and never boring nor repetitve like when you do in other games.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Archangel3371
Well for me the storyline is indeed the main reason I play and enjoy the Metal Gear Solid games. All the backstory on Ocelot and Big Boss was probably my favourite aspects of MGS3. Sure the gameplay is good in the games but given the huge amount of story and dialog in the games I can see how someone wouldn't want to play the games if they don't like the story.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Archangel3371

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]Well for me the storyline is indeed the main reason I play and enjoy the Metal Gear Solid games. All the backstory on Ocelot and Big Boss was probably my favourite aspects of MGS3. Sure the gameplay is good in the games but given the huge amount of story and dialog in the games I can see how someone wouldn't want to play the games if they don't like the story.dvader654

But you can skip the story and just play the game, I still cant see that as a main reason to not like a game. What happens with a game like Mario that is all gameplay and simple story, people still play it. I'm not saying you are wrong to feel the way you feel, I am just saying that I dont understand it, I don't think I ever will.

Well games that have a simple story like Mario are pretty straight forward anyway that's why they have a simple story. I couldn't imagine skipping through all the cut-scenes and dialog in an MGS game on the first playthrough as you would miss alot of objectives and reasons as to why you're doing this and that in the game. It canconfusing enough sometimes when you follow the story let alone skip it all together.