Dead Space Hype Train: Last Call (Thread of Drop-Kicking Babies)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

As you probably know well enough by now, I have been hyping Dead Space for quite some time, and soon enough I will be able to find out for myself if it was all warranted or not. As you also might know the last game I hyped, Infinite Undiscovery pretty much was a huge dissappointment, but I believe in Dead Space enough to put all my eggs in its proverbial basket. Dead Space looks like it is the product of a reformed EA (I know all of the Spore DRM crap says hello), looking to be the next great survival/horror game worthy of Silent Hill and Resident Evil comparisons, and hopefully even surpassing those games in a few ways. But lets get to the point of the thread, which is to not only hype this game beyond belief, but to also take a Dyack like approach to singling out the naysayers, and trying to change raise their expectations for this game. So stand up and be counted, if you are with me on this game, or sit if you still have reservations. Remember the game comes out in less than a month.

Excerpts' from the IGN AU Interview

The new EA – and when I say 'new', it's only 2 or 2 and-a-half years old. You're only just starting to see the games come out now. Glen Schofield

Regarding the protagonist's personality

It's harder to make a personality when the guy's in a suit – but a lot of games do that. A lot of FPSs; think Gordon Freeman. But it starts with the walk. A marine is going to walk in a certain way and subtle things too – we didn't slap the guns all over his back, and we didn't want the ammo draped. We also take into account that he's scared. His walk and his run without a weapon is different – it's a lot of work too, to reanimate everything for that. We have animations for when he's startled too, and things like that. We knew right from the start that he was a regular guy. A lot of things haven't changed from the original ideas – he's like me or you, he's not out to save the world and he's not a murderer. He pretty much stayed the same.Glen Schofield

Regarding the game's plot, and Warren's (the famed Sci-Fi writer) involvement

So, ah, with all due respect to Warren... Warren came at the very beginning of the game; we figured we needed a writer and Warren came in and we had our direction, our ideas. We knew we wanted a religion running through it and we knew we wanted psychological terror as well as grotesque terror. Warren is more of sci-fi writer; how many of these ideas are leftovers from what he wrote, I don't know – I'd have to go back a reread all his work. But he's just a good guy... we tried a bunch of writers. The one thing he really helped us out with was, when we first started to do the comic book, we asked Warren. He hit deadlines for us, he did everything right – but he came on two and-a-half years ago and some of the ideas filter out.

I think Warren also helped out on some of the back-story of the characters, the naming of them – because he was good at that. But what he did was he also introduced us to Anthony Johnson who became our writer for the comic series. Then Anthony eventually wrote most of the dialogue for the game. As a comic book writer, he mostly wrote in short sentences, which is what we need.Glen Schofield

Dead Space ULTRA LIMITED EDITION REVEALED: Only 1000 Copies!!!

The Dead Space Ultra Limited Edition comes with:

• The Dead Space game
  • Special Ultra Limited Edition packaging
  • Dead Space Downfall Animated Movie (DVD)
  • Bonus content DVD
  • Exclusive custom lithograph art illustrated and signed by Ben Templesmith
  • 97-pg Dead Space art book written and illustrated by the development team
  • 160-pg Graphic novel
  • Ishimura crew patch
Console Exclusive Suits: PS3 1st, 360 2nd

Kotaku: Dead Space is Bloody, Real Bloody

Dead Space Animation Video: Quality Over Quantity

Developer Diary 7

Outer Space Trailer

Worthplaying Preview

Gametrailer's Video Preview

Team Xbox Hands-On

IGN's Updated Preview

Gamespot Updated Preview

News Regarding the "Dead" engine

10 Reasons Why Dead Space is the Next Great Sci-Fi Saga (Awesome)

GT's Video Developer Diary

Dead Space Gameplay Videos

GT's Massive Gameplay Video Collection

CVG: Dead Space's Cutscenes Are Important

IGN Review

millwrought

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 millwrought
Member since 2008 • 2032 Posts

I've been keeping my eye on this game for awhile now. Now it's a day 1 buy for me.

But score wise here, I'm hyping it AA.

P.S.: I thought Infinite Undiscovery was awesome.

Andrn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Andrn
Member since 2008 • 2098 Posts

As stupid as this following statement will sound; CHOO CHOO!!!

I'm on the hype train. While it won't be a day 1 purchase, it will be in my collection within the week after its release.

cszero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 cszero
Member since 2003 • 139 Posts
Hello, I did get to play this at a recent manager conference... While the demo was short there was a line behind rushing me, and the whole hall was insanely loud, I do think this is going to be a well reviewed title once I get to sit down and crank up the volume..
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
I like the action in the trailers and the story in the comics, so I'm really optimistic about Dead Space.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts

Bah, EA is crap :evil:

[spoiler] FOR!!!! [/spoiler]

soul-sensation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 soul-sensation
Member since 2007 • 47 Posts

It looks damned goog. But I've just read that EA are launching Dead space for the Xbox 360 & PS3 editions about 6/7 days earlier than the PC game :evil:

Come on EU, give us PC gamers a fair go at the whip!!

BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts
I saw the gameplay vids and it looked absolutely stunning. The graphics are just mindblowingly awesome. I'm definitely keeping an eye out for this one. This could very well become a surprise hit.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts
I haven't kept up on Dead Space, but supposedly it's impessive. I'm glad to hear that, because the character design for the main character looks absolutely stupid. I'm waiting for gamer feedback on this one.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#11 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
I'm hoping for the best but still have my reservations. It should be easy to make Dead Space's story better than RE's convoluted plot. Just wondering if they can capture the helplessness in earlier RE titles and the atmosphere of Silent Hill
xmitchconnorx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xmitchconnorx
Member since 2007 • 2649 Posts
I was extremly excited for Dead Space until i found out that EA Redwood was developing. So i'm a bit skeptical. I want it to be good, but only time will tell.
wood_duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wood_duck
Member since 2007 • 990 Posts

It looks damned goog. But I've just read that EA are launching Dead space for the Xbox 360 & PS3 editions about 6/7 days earlier than the PC game :evil:

soul-sensation

Why would they release console versions earlier, I honestly don't see the reasoning behind this.

Darth_Sibbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#14 Darth_Sibbs
Member since 2004 • 4234 Posts
I'm psyched for this game it looks cool, day one for me...or however long shipping takes...I'm an importer in Aus
soul-sensation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 soul-sensation
[QUOTE="soul-sensation"]

wood_duck

Why would they release console versions earlier, I honestly don't see the reasoning behind this.

That's not all. Some EA community manager is saying that Dead Space won't be allowed into Germany, Japan or China. Not sure why though.

wood_duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wood_duck
Member since 2007 • 990 Posts
[QUOTE="wood_duck"][QUOTE="soul-sensation"]

soul-sensation

That's not all. Some EA community manager is saying that Dead Space won't be allowed into Germany, Japan or China. Not sure why though.

Honeslty, EA are idiotic at times.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I'm a type of gamer who cares about game lenth. With that said, I hope this game is more than 8 hours long, at least 12 or more.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HiResDes

I'm a type of gamer who cares about game lenth. With that said, I hope this game is more than 8 hours long, at least 12 or more.

ASK_Story

Dead Space will take between 15 and 20 hours to complete

Avatar image for Project_25zero1
Project_25zero1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Project_25zero1
Member since 2008 • 176 Posts

Dead Space is, without a shred of doubt, my most anticipated game of the year. The set design alone (from what I've seen...), is enough to have warranted my pre-order. When you add the incredible graphics, the absorbing sound design (again, from what I have seen in the gameplay vids), the awesome comic book back story, and the passion that is being displayed by Redwood Shores in making this game, how could you not be excited?

However, my anticipation is just that. Anticipation. We won't really know fer sure until a month from now. My hopes are through the roof though, so please don't let me down EA (pipe dreams, I know...)!

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts
[QUOTE="soul-sensation"]

wood_duck

Honeslty, EA are idiotic at times.

I'm pretty sure the reason why is becuase those regions restricted the game from being sold there in its current form. If I'm not mistaken, Gears of War was banned in Germany, for example..

I don't see how that has anything to do with EA being 'idiotic.'

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Im aboard the hype train, I love horror games and do my best to support them. I think the story and game looks wicked but to be honest I doubt its gonna score above an 8... I hope im wrong though.
D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts
I'm a little hyped for this game, but I don't expect it to be a mindblowing, GOTY nominee type of game. I expect a solid 7-8 game. Just don't pull a Dyack if the game bombs :P
blacksiteninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blacksiteninja
Member since 2008 • 306 Posts
due to the fact that in my lifetime ive bought into the hype and been let down too many times, im taking the cynical approach, if it's bad, then i dont care because i have enough good games to keep me happy. if its good, then cool, maybe ill buy it.
princesszelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#24 princesszelda
Member since 2003 • 6869 Posts

Anymore room left on this train?...Let me on!!!!

I am really hyped about this game....so far it's looking awesome. This game might actually give EA a chance to redeem themselves.

TheMazaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheMazaku
Member since 2008 • 766 Posts

I am looking forward to it. But I am worried that it might scare me too much....... muuuum.... :S

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HiResDes
Gamespot Updated Preview Up
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
Count me in. The game's premise and setting have me fairly excited.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

DEAD SPACE

In theathers everywhere Summer 2010 confirmed.

A James Cameron Film

:D

Well, probably not but one can dream.

.....but it may end up with someone like Paul WS Anderson.:?

soul-sensation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 soul-sensation
I wish!! But we all live in hope lol
lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts
let me on the train!this is my 2nd most anticipated game. i love the HUD system
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#31 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

its rare that im excited for an EA game, but dead space has sunk its hooks in me. they are drawing on great inspiration for the setting and atmosphere. ive heard of some good scenarios (supposedly, you'll be stalked by some menacing creature for a good portion of the game) as well. it also seems like they arent half assing any major gameplay elements either.

and im glad ea took a stand on overbearing media censorship. thet arent changing the game to suit the eccentricities of governments, they simply just wont release it over there. i realise its easy to make this move when youre the size of ea, but im glad to see it anyway.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HiResDes

Okay its about time for me to lay down my predictions (feel free to follow suit):

Gamespot - 7.5 (The text of the review will show that it is a better game than the score will reflect)

The Good - Great Atmosphere/Environment, Great Puzzles, Lots of Enemy Variety, Cool Interface,The Sound Effects

The Bad- The Controls, It feels all too similar, Cliched Story

IGN - 8.3

Gametrailers - 8.7

Eurogamer - 8

CVG - 9

1up - B

Edge - 7

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 inoperativeRS

I'll give my very scientific numbers as well:

GS: 8.5

IGN: 9.1

Gametrailers: 8.9

Eurogamer:9

CVG: 9

1UP: B+

Edge: 7

Denso-GS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Denso-GS
Member since 2007 • 585 Posts
Im buying it .
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

I will wave at the train as it passes by.*waves hello and goodbye to the hype train*

I'm not one for horror games really. Every time I buy one, it gathers dust. It looks like a quality game to be sure, I just know it isn't for me. I hope it turns out well though.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
I can't wait for this game, and I know I'll enjoy the hell out of it -- BUT I'm definitely not hyping it up as the next big thing, either. 7.5-8.0 would be my guess.
Benevolentbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 97

#37 Benevolentbob
Member since 2007 • 1178 Posts
I'd like to purchase a first class ticket for the hype train please. I think this game looks awesome and I've been tracking it since the begining.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GodModeEnabled

I will wave at the train as it passes by.*waves hello and goodbye to the hype train*

I'm not one for horror games really. Every time I buy one, it gathers dust. It looks like a quality game to be sure, I just know it isn't for me. I hope it turns out well though.

rragnaar
*Flashes rragnaar as the train drives by*
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SteelAttack
[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

GodModeEnabled

:lol:

Enjoy the pleasant sight, Rrag.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="rragnaar"]

SteelAttack

:lol:

Enjoy the pleasant sight, Rrag.

GME's "goods", and I use that term loosely, are old news. That guy needs to buy a pair of pants.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SteelAttack

GME's "goods", and I use that term loosely, are old news. That guy needs to buy a pair of pants.

rragnaar

The most important feature of GME's "goods" is italicized, bolded and underlined for future reference.

BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts

Did anyone get a chance to see this vid yet? Now THAT is some really mindblowing stuff. Anticipation level +500!!!

:| >> :) >> :o >> :shock:

Arath_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Arath_1
Member since 2003 • 4688 Posts

I remember when the first announcement was made and we saw a single shot of the game, a lot of people seem shocked at the idea of an EA original IP and dismissed it as an RE4 clone. That being said I think so far from what we've seen the game is proving to take the best elements of games past while not being content with simply creating an RE4 clone in space. Am I excited about this game? You bet you are I have a strong feeling this game is going to knock people's socks off when they get their hands on it.

Really looking forward to it, I predict a GOTY nominations and a lot of great critical/commercial success! (call me crazy but I think very few critics will score it below a high 8 ). In fact (I don't usually do this, but what the hell) I think Gamespot might give it a 9...

four_of_clubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 four_of_clubs
Member since 2005 • 4474 Posts

...and it's a bit like an onion, in that you're peeling away layers and if you watch the video logs and read the text logs and stuff, you'll pick up on the story.IGN

Hmmmm......

...and it's a bit like an onion; [the more layers you peel, the more it stinks.] IGN

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 HiResDes

[Quote="IGN"]...and it's a bit like an onion, in that you're peeling away layers and if you watch the video logs and read the text logs and stuff, you'll pick up on the story.four_of_clubs

Hmmmm......

...and it's a bit like an onion; [the more layers you peel, the more it stinks.] IGN

If they were going to use such a metaphor, I think burn would be more apt, but as I predicted I don't think the game's plot is going to be its strong point...But you can still have awesome characters in a subpar plot, which is what I'm hoping.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 inoperativeRS
[QUOTE="four_of_clubs"]

[Quote="IGN"]...and it's a bit like an onion, in that you're peeling away layers and if you watch the video logs and read the text logs and stuff, you'll pick up on the story.HiResDes

Hmmmm......

If they were going to use such a metaphor, I think burn would be more apt, but as I predicted I don't think the game's plot is going to be its strong point...But you can still have awesome characters in a subpar plot, which is what I'm hoping.

I already know the plot from looking at videos basicly. Alien artifact, research team, catastrophe, cool dude, kill monsters, destroy artifact. It's cool with me, as long as the monsters are creepy it should work well enough.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 HiResDes
[QUOTE="HiResDes"][QUOTE="four_of_clubs"]

[Quote="IGN"]...and it's a bit like an onion, in that you're peeling away layers and if you watch the video logs and read the text logs and stuff, you'll pick up on the story.inoperativeRS

Hmmmm......

I already know the plot from looking at videos basicly. Alien artifact, research team, catastrophe, cool dude, kill monsters, destroy artifact. It's cool with me, as long as the monsters are creepy it should work well enough.

after reading IGN's updated preview, I realized that they indeed don't hate the game's story. (Link on the first page)

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GodModeEnabled
[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

SteelAttack

The most important feature of GME's "goods" is italicized, bolded and underlined for future reference.

The best part is when I do the macaraena....naked.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GodModeEnabled

I just got the new GI and there is a small preview of the game but its gushing with love, I am not very excited.

They say the played a near finished build of the game, they say its surprising how much EA has not shown us of the game. Besides killing enemies there will be hidden credits and nodes to find, credits acts as money to buy new weapons, nodes act as a weapon modifier like adding a node to make the attack stronger.

They say the controls are great, aiming is superb. The main gun is useful throughout the game but there are others that are just as effective like the Ripper which is a like a chainsaw of the future that shoots out blades but within a 10 feet range because a force field holds it.

Enemies are not the only think you have to worry about, the environment plays a big role, like what happens if the level suddenly becomes depressurized. They say that from the five hours they played almost every encounter, even with the same enemies, feels different (that sounds like RE4 to me, that is an awesome thing). They say there is about a jump out of your seat moment every minute. The story is completely tied with the gameplay like a Bioshock or HL. They say possible GOTY contender.

dvader654
I seem to remember buying into their hype for Clive Barkers Jericho as well ..... :evil: Excuse me if I remain cynicaly unimpressed by Game Informer.