Condescending Attitude Towards Girl Gamers

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Peerbreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Peerbreed
Member since 2009 • 224 Posts

Sorry if this is a long read/rant. Just skip the first part if it's too much.

I was in Gamestop this morning picking up CoD:BlOps as a present for my niece. When I got to the register the Gamestop employee did the usual Edge card offer. I told the employee that I get my games from Steam, so the Edge card was useless to me. He's a PC gamer as well and that sparked a good conversation. About an hour later a couple of typical gaming nerds walked in. The employee and I were talking about Heroes of Stalingrad, I mentioned how I was looking forward to that game way more than Battlefield 3. One of the gaming nerds scoffed at me and started going off about how it was impossible that a game he never heard about could be better than the next BF:BC3. The employee and I both laughed at this. The other nerd walked over to the counter, looked at my purchase and said it was good to see a girl getting into a hardcore game. I told him I was buying it for a 17 year old girl and that I don't play the CoD series because I think the SP is weak. The first nerd dismissed me by saying "What do you know about gaming anyway? Girls don't know about hardcore gaming". I just laughed, exchanged numbers with the Gamestop employee and left.

Dealing with immature teenage boys online isn't something I get worked up about. They are teenager so what do you expect? What really ticks me off is the all to often disappointing behavior of many adult males. I get accused of screen watching or cheating anytime I'm doing well. If I'm having a bad gaming day then it's because "girls just don't know how to play". Unfortunately my conversation with the Gamestop employee was one of the few good conversation I've had with a male gamer outside my group of friends. He didn't spend the first 30 minutes trying to get over the fact that I am a girl that plays games. He didn't assume that I only played rhythm and puzzle games. He never implied that I a boyfriend that must have gotten me into gaming (my mom got me into gaming btw). He didn't try to make it appear that he knew more about gaming than I did. It was refreshing to be seen as just a fellow gamer.

I've been dealing with this attitude for over 20 years. My niece who is 10 years younger than me also has to deal with this as well. She's resolved to not use her mic online and won't tell males that she games because she is sick of dealing with their superiority complex. I want to know from a male gamers stand point what makes males have such a condescending attitude towards female gamers? I don't encounter this sort of thing at the comic book store or with sci fi nerds, so what makes male gamers different?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#2 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
If you really are good, what they say doesn't matter. Guys and girls are different. I met some guys who sucked at games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#3 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

I think lots of girls are good at games. But stereotypes have speard that makes girls look like preps (which some of them are) who know nothing about games or gaming at all.

Mo-licious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mo-licious
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

I can relate. Same boat for 20+ years. I have loved all kinds of games but my heart belongs to FPS's. Thankfully I had a bunch of great guy friends who were very supportive. Once I starting playing on-line I heard all kinds of grief. I found a good bunch of peeps on-line & joined a clan to make it less offensive and annoying. But why should I resort to playing with the same peeps because others just slam you if you do well or even if you have a bad round. Don't get me wrong, I'm not made of glass ... I'm not easily offended. Why the disrespect?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

three words: Fragile Male Ego.

This discussion have been up a few times, and it is an interresting one to say the least, since I can not really understand the problem some people have.

I am (and know quite a few) who are of the understanding that when playing with or against other people online, only the skills and talents a player has really matters, we are all disembodied out there, so a persons sex is fairly irellevent.

besides, a girl WILL kill you out there :P through the scope of a high powered rifle, just as deadly and jsut as effecient as any male. (if it is thier hobby)

Yet when I play it really is true, as soon as a female player opens her mouth you begin to hear the slurs of the social rejects trying to belittle her, and it only gets worse if she proves to be good, and my conclusion usually ends in it being a society thing, that some people really still thinks that males are better at certain things that women are, gaming being one of those.

Surprisingly enough whenever this have been brought up, it is almsot surefire that some girl/woman will show up and accuse me of ignoring that they are females with this train of thoughts, so I do not know if they are offensive to some.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I quote Spike: "I love a woman who can kick my ass". I love girl gamers, whether they're good or bad. I don't mind playing with guys all the time online, but ya gotta mix it up once in awhile.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

The average human being is not very smart. Gaming is now sufficiently mainstream that the pool of gamers has basically begun to include those average human beings. That's about it.

I must admit that I find it a little ironic that, in a post in which you complain about the stereotyping of female gamers, you proceed to stereotype male gamers. :P

anthonycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 anthonycg
Member since 2009 • 2017 Posts

three words: Fragile Male Ego.

This discussion have been up a few times, and it is an interresting one to say the least, since I can not really understand the problem some people have.

I am (and know quite a few) who are of the understanding that when playing with or against other people online, only the skills and talents a player has really matters, we are all disembodied out there, so a persons sex is fairly irellevent.

besides, a girl WILL kill you out there :P through the scope of a high powered rifle, just as deadly and jsut as effecient as any male. (if it is thier hobby)

Yet when I play it really is true, as soon as a female player opens her mouth you begin to hear the slurs of the social rejects trying to belittle her, and it only gets worse if she proves to be good, and my conclusion usually ends in it being a society thing, that some people really still thinks that males are better at certain things that women are, gaming being one of those.

Surprisingly enough whenever this have been brought up, it is almsot surefire that some girl/woman will show up and accuse me of ignoring that they are females with this train of thoughts, so I do not know if they are offensive to some.

Maddie_Larkin

Exactly. It shouldn't be that way but lets face it - men these days are soft. And it's getting worse.

They rage quit, they whine, and they cry when they lose. They know it and they want to take it out on YOU. They're pathetic and I don't get along with those types either. All guys aren't like that but you're going to run into losers like that because they're everywhere. It's rampant in video games becuase there isn't much responsibility involoved.

If you take up say martial arts then you are completely responsible for everything that happens to you. You learn disipline and you learn to respect others. Or you get thrown into the ground repeatedly by people of varying races and genders until you figure it out. You don't have that in video games. You can blame lag, game design and all sorts of crap. This allows people to whine and comlplain when something goes wrong and take pride in anything they manage to do well. Just imagine the blow to the fragile ego when GamerGirl007 shows up and obviously doesn't have all of the self-esteem issues they do.

Like a rat in a corner they pounce and do whatever they can to feel adequate. And all you did was walk into the room. I say don't worry about it. Some people are just messed up and it's not worth wasting your time to worry about them. They'll get their culture shock sooner or later. Or maybe they already got it. At any rate I'm sure you wouldn't associate yourself with people like that for obvious reasons and the fact that they think alike should tell you a lot...

I'm sure that they are the minority of guy gamers though.

Cheers.

Brother_Tevis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Brother_Tevis
Member since 2008 • 195 Posts

I mean it's different for different reasons. Overall, from my experience, girl gamers are pretty rare. I can only honestly think of three girls I know that game, and they don't do it regularly by any means, one doesn't even own any systems any more. So I mean, I've never encountered a hardcore girl gamer, but they definitely do exist. And I think guys just find it a mixture of exciting and/or intimidating when they meet a girl who games.

For me, I still find it exciting when I find out a girl games a little or is interested or is just pro-games (an ex of mine openly hated and bashed video games constantly) but it's not an earth-shattering event, it's just cool and kinda nice. So I would presume guys encounter a girl who's encroaching on their territory so to speak, and they try and trump themselves up and seem like the top-dog, which is just kinda childish.

Also I'm genuinely shocked at the behavior of the guys in the store, that's somewhat appalling that they would act like that, and therefore on behalf of all men gamers, and men in general, I do sincerely apologize. (And props for not liking CoD campaign, it's trash.)

Sagacious_Tien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#10 Sagacious_Tien
Member since 2005 • 12562 Posts
Sadly, the male ego has seen him attempt to succeed at everything. You see it at Barbecues and on Construction sites - women aren't welcome. Being a male gamer for 20+ years hasn't kept me from enjoying games with both sexes - and it is refreshing to find a female gamer who isn't afraid to speak her mind. Good choice in games as well - Heroes of Stalingrad looks the goods, though I have to say that Battlefield 3 probably has me more interested at the moment. The best suggestion I can make is to find regulars to play with. As for the childish behaviour of the 2 guys in the game store - there isn't much you can do. You're a better person than them for not sticking it to them, and that kind of gamer, the immature brat, isn't the kind of gamer you want to associate with. And I'm sure there will be people on both sexes saying the same thing.
Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sacif
Member since 2006 • 1830 Posts

I love the fact that my girl is a gamer..to show how much I respect her as a gamer I went and bought the new Bratz DS game! So cute :oops:

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

The ironic stereotyping of male gamers when this thread is about stereotyping being bad is ridiculous.

Youre going into what has predominantly been a male activity, get used to people giving you a hard time about it until more girls get in gaming.

Niks-Greed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Niks-Greed
Member since 2011 • 87 Posts

Sex doesn't matter in game, its pretty much if you're good you're good, if you're bad then you're just bad. Although i never really cared much about who played, i do find it insulting the fact that something like gaming can be judged by people's appearance. Although I have never been "super good" at any game so I have avoided the "oh you look like this (pic of some nerd)".

I myself never really placed gender in the "gaming" situation and other things such as sports (even though I'm a guy) i just don't see it as a big deal". It all boils down to whether you're having fun with the person or not. This is probably due to the fact that my sisters both like to play games and i usually try to provoke other girls to get involved with video games

Peerbreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Peerbreed

The average human being is not very smart. Gaming is now sufficiently mainstream that the pool of gamers has basically begun to include those average human beings. That's about it.

I must admit that I find it a little ironic that, in a post in which you complain about the stereotyping of female gamers, you proceed to stereotype male gamers. :PGabuEx

If it came off that I am stereotyping male gamers I didn't mean it that way. There are plenty of decent male gamers. Sadly I don't come across them to often in real world scenarios. It's strange because in all my other hobbies and interest (sci-fi, anime and comics) I don't come across this behavior from the males. Sometimes they get a bit creepy but that's it. I also do competitive shooting as a hobby. I've never had any issue with males at the range. If I out score a male on the range normally I get a slap on the back and the first round of drinks on them. Now beating a male on a video game normally results in rage quitting. In a way I am stereotyping male gamers, but it's from personal experience.

Good choice in games as well - Heroes of Stalingrad looks the goods, though I have to say that Battlefield 3 probably has me more interested at the moment. Sagacious_Tien

I'm positive Stalingrad will be a day 1 purchase. I'm waiting for more info on BF3. BC2 left a sour taste in my mouth, even though I did enjoy it.

DDRMom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DDRMom
Member since 2008 • 1360 Posts

The ironic stereotyping of male gamers when this thread is about stereotyping being bad is ridiculous.

Youre going into what has predominantly been a male activity, get used to people giving you a hard time about it until more girls get in gaming.

WreckEm711
Your comment..."just get used to it" does nothing to further your complaints about the male gamer stereo types found in this thread. In fact, you've just proved the stereo type. Another fact, if recent stats are to be believed, women gamers are roughly 40% of the gaming population. I suggest you get used to that. TC, I feel your pain. I've been gaming for 30 years and have had your experience many times.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
There are alot of guys out there that don't handle girls being gamers, mostly because the gaming industry has been very male dominated throughout the years. This can be a reason why they are rude and discriminating, or you have those that flirt like crazy and try to be nice to you ingame by dropping you a better weapon and so on. Just don't take it to heart and keep kicking their butts online.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I just chalk it up to makeup envy. =P
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

I must admit that I find it a little ironic that, in a post in which you complain about the stereotyping of female gamers, you proceed to stereotype male gamers. :PPeerbreed

If it came off that I am stereotyping male gamers I didn't mean it that way. There are plenty of decent male gamers. Sadly I don't come across them to often in real world scenarios. It's strange because in all my other hobbies and interest (sci-fi, anime and comics) I don't come across this behavior from the males. Sometimes they get a bit creepy but that's it. I also do competitive shooting as a hobby. I've never had any issue with males at the range. If I out score a male on the range normally I get a slap on the back and the first round of drinks on them. Now beating a male on a video game normally results in rage quitting. In a way I am stereotyping male gamers, but it's from personal experience.

Well I think one other difference between video games and all the other things you describe is what Penny Arcade described as the Greater Internet ****wad Theory (language warning, obviously).

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
I haven't really noticed what you are talking about; from my own experience, most guys are really cool with females who are into gaming; some of the most dominant clans on Halo and CoD are all-female. The female "gamers" that most of us are irritated by are the ones who claim to be really into gaming but couldn't tell you the difference between Mario and Master Chief
Peerbreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Peerbreed
[QUOTE="Treflis"]There are alot of guys out there that don't handle girls being gamers, mostly because the gaming industry has been very male dominated throughout the years. This can be a reason why they are rude and discriminating, or you have those that flirt like crazy and try to be nice to you ingame by dropping you a better weapon and so on. Just don't take it to heart and keep kicking their butts online.

I'm not sure what's worse. The guys who are rude or the guys who flirt constantly. I once had a guy recite poetry to me during L4D2. Way to ruin the game lol.
Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sacif
Member since 2006 • 1830 Posts

I just chalk it up to makeup envy. =PAllicrombie

Envy? Yes I have seen how I look with mascara..and only one word comes to mind...delicious.

Sagacious_Tien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sagacious_Tien
Member since 2005 • 12562 Posts
[QUOTE="Peerbreed"][QUOTE="Treflis"]There are alot of guys out there that don't handle girls being gamers, mostly because the gaming industry has been very male dominated throughout the years. This can be a reason why they are rude and discriminating, or you have those that flirt like crazy and try to be nice to you ingame by dropping you a better weapon and so on. Just don't take it to heart and keep kicking their butts online.

I should have mentioned that apart from being immature - we're desperate! :) I'm not sure what's worse. The guys who are rude or the guys who flirt constantly. I once had a guy recite poetry to me during L4D2. Way to ruin the game lol.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts

The female "gamers" that most of us are irritated by are the ones who claim to be really into gaming but couldn't tell you the difference between Mario and Master ChiefUT_Wrestler

Now imagine how we feel about them...

I've never come across what TC describes, thankfully, but that is probably becuase I never play multi-player FPS. I hardly ever play online except in MMOs, and there's a lot more females in them, so it's not as fantastic when a woman shows up in-game in one of them. I get a bit of a weird look in the local game store occasionally, but never from the employees. They're great, all of them. Especially the girls. ;)

I'm not sure what's worse. The guys who are rude or the guys who flirt constantly. I once had a guy recite poetry to me during L4D2. Way to ruin the game lol.Peerbreed

The ones who flirt are worse. If they're rude, you can get angry, and people get why you're angry. If they flirt, you get the "but it was a compliment", and no one understands why it's so @@##$%^*(())(*$W!@$#@#^$ annoying you want to reach through the voice chat and rip them to bits and pieces. ;)

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

I can see how it could be something annoying as a girl gamer. I certainly don't make a big deal out of it. I understand it's a primarily male dominated interest, but doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of girls who love it. I don't purposely talk to girl gamers just because they're girls and I don't look down upon them and automatically assume they know less about gaming. Hell if anything I assume that most teenage boys don't know a whole lot about gaming outside of COD. B

BTW I am a 16 yr old male, so not all teenagers are bad:P

Peerbreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Peerbreed

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]I just chalk it up to makeup envy. =PSacif

Envy? Yes I have seen how I look with mascara..and only one word comes to mind...delicious.

That made me lol.

it's so @@##$%^*(())(*$W!@$#@#^$ annoying you want to reach through the voice chat and rip them to bits and pieces. ;)

ChiliDragon
Truer words have never been spoken. Okay I've changed my mind. I want the guys to continue being mean. It's the lesser evil :)
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
I want the guys to continue being mean. It's the lesser evil :)Peerbreed
It is by far... if nothing else because you are a lot less likely to get in trouble for being sharp with them. ;)
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Ladies, I have the perfect page for you on which to copy and print out and post it somewhere where you can see it or take with you to show when you come upon the uneducated masses of male gamers that think gaming is dominated by them. Industry Facts from The Entertainment Software Association does show that women over 18 make up a larger portion of the gaming community compared to males 17 and under (33% to 20%) and make up 40% of all game players (you are right DDRMom).

I have seen guys treat women in a condescending manner, even on their own forums (Ubi's Frag Dolls forum) and in game too. I have had some of the most fun playing with girl gamers. R6 was a blast playing with the old Girls n Guns clan 11 years ago. When I hosted servers for RS and GR, I made sure everyone treated everyone respectfully no matter what sex they were and if someone talked trash to a female, they were booted pretty darn quick.

Peerbreed, thanks for the info on Heros of Stalingrad. I am gonna keep an eye out for it myself. I am still awaiting 1C's SOW:BOB, but Oleg has been working on that for years and who knows how long it will be before it is released.

ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

It's true, it's still around today. i for one like having girl gamers. Makes it so that people playing female characters in games are actually females sometimes.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Funny story, my wife who I'm with now, I actually got to know her better because back in college I was always going over to her dorm to play her xbox. I thought it was really cool at the time that she was as into gaming as I was, and even though I wasn't really attracted to her at first (too skinny, too short), she gradually started to grow on me because we developed a deep emotional connection that started with a common interest.
Devil_Lady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Devil_Lady
Member since 2009 • 204 Posts

Of all the many times I have been to Gamestop, I have never been treated like that. And if I ever was, I could care less.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Funny story, my wife who I'm with now, I actually got to know her better because back in college I was always going over to her dorm to play her xbox. I thought it was really cool at the time that she was as into gaming as I was, and even though I wasn't really attracted to her at first (too skinny, too short), she gradually started to grow on me because we developed a deep emotional connection that started with a common interest.UT_Wrestler

Yeah there is something to be said for having common interests.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

There just isn't that many core female gamers out there sadly. Video games are becoming more mainstream and accessible all the time though, so things are slowly becoming more open to everyone.

A lot of the core female gamers that do exist seem to try to over-compensate to deal with the hazing they get from some male gamers, and then most girls stick their noses up at just about anything gaming, so most guys don't know how to deal with female gamers in general.

TheGrudge13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33 TheGrudge13
Member since 2009 • 1198 Posts

those are usually the FPS fanboy that don't play anything but COD or Halo or any other FPS all the time and they thing they are better than every one else

they are unlike the real gamer have no respect whatsoever to other gamer

if a girl ( female ) kicked their ass they start all this stupid talk about how they are not hardcore and that they got luck and bla bla bla

if a boy ( male ) like me kicked their ass they start with your just a noob and start trash talking and sending hat massages

it doesn't matter for them if you are a boy or girl they will just find something bad to say about you so they can feel good about them selves and trying to find any stupid reason to why or to cover the fact that they found someone who plays better than them

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

There just isn't that many core female gamers out there sadly. Video games are becoming more mainstream and accessible all the time though, so things are slowly becoming more open to everyone.

A lot of the core female gamers that do exist seem to try to over-compensate to deal with the hazing they get from some male gamers, and then most girls stick their noses up at just about anything gaming, so most guys don't know how to deal with female gamers in general.

Bigboi500

What do you consider a core gamer? Just someone that plays an FPS? 40% is a large number of gamers, especially when the number of women gamers outnumber the gamers that are typically the ones spewing the vitriol towards the females.

anthonycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 anthonycg
Member since 2009 • 2017 Posts

those are usually the FPS fanboy that don't play anything but COD or Halo or any other FPS all the time and they thing they are better than every one else

they are unlike the real gamer have no respect whatsoever to other gamer

if a girl ( female ) kicked their ass they start all this stupid talk about how they are not hardcore and that they got luck and bla bla bla

if a boy ( male ) like me kicked their ass they start with your just a noob and start trash talking and sending hat massages

it doesn't matter for them if you are a boy or girl they will just find something bad to say about you so they can feel good about them selves and trying to find any stupid reason to why or to cover the fact that they found someone who plays better than them

TheGrudge13

Interesting because most of them reek of autoaim. :lol:

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#36 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

I was in Gamestop this morning picking up CoD:BlOps as a present for my niece. When I got to the register the Gamestop employee did the usual Edge card offer. I told the employee that I get my games from Steam, so the Edge card was useless to me. He's a PC gamer as well and that sparked a good conversation. About an hour later a couple of typical gaming nerds walked in. The employee and I were talking about Heroes of Stalingrad, I mentioned how I was looking forward to that game way more than Battlefield 3. One of the gaming nerds scoffed at me and started going off about how it was impossible that a game he never heard about could be better than the next BF:BC3. The employee and I both laughed at this. The other nerd walked over to the counter, looked at my purchase and said it was good to see a girl getting into a hardcore game. I told him I was buying it for a 17 year old girl and that I don't play the CoD series because I think the SP is weak. The first nerd dismissed me by saying "What do you know about gaming anyway? Girls don't know about hardcore gaming". I just laughed, exchanged numbers with the Gamestop employee and left.

Dealing with immature teenage boys online isn't something I get worked up about. They are teenager so what do you expect? What really ticks me off is the all to often disappointing behavior of many adult males. I get accused of screen watching or cheating anytime I'm doing well. If I'm having a bad gaming day then it's because "girls just don't know how to play". Unfortunately my conversation with the Gamestop employee was one of the few good conversation I've had with a male gamer outside my group of friends. He didn't spend the first 30 minutes trying to get over the fact that I am a girl that plays games. He didn't assume that I only played rhythm and puzzle games. He never implied that I a boyfriend that must have gotten me into gaming (my mom got me into gaming btw). He didn't try to make it appear that he knew more about gaming than I did. It was refreshing to be seen as just a fellow gamer.

I've been dealing with this attitude for over 20 years. My niece who is 10 years younger than me also has to deal with this as well. She's resolved to not use her mic online and won't tell males that she games because she is sick of dealing with their superiority complex. I want to know from a male gamers stand point what makes males have such a condescending attitude towards female gamers? I don't encounter this sort of thing at the comic book store or with sci fi nerds, so what makes male gamers different?

Peerbreed
Ignorance sadly. I remember a few years ago I was playing Perfect Dark on the 360 and there was a girl playing and she kicked my ass and I was pretty good at that game, she just head shot me every time and good on her. Skill is irrelevant to gender I guess is what I'm getting at, some of these condescending "hardcore" male gamers need to learn this because a lot of them sound like they are still living in the 1970's. I have heard all sorts of sexist and racist comments playing online, hiding behind the internet makes them think they can say what they want.....It's almost like humanity is making no progress at all sometimes. I am friends with a few girl gamers as my ex worked in a game store and her friends play, and most of them only talk to people they know otherwise they get zeroed out by wankers. No idea why.
CheekyIchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#37 CheekyIchi
Member since 2010 • 739 Posts

Gamers are gamers just like how people are people.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Peerbreed

The unfortunate truth is that alot of the "hardcore gaming" community are still insecure nerds who are scared of women. If I were you, I would've told them to shut the **** up and go back to their parents basement. I like when I see women gaming -- not because I'm some horny desperate nerd who wants to meet a gamergirl, but because it's good to see a wider variety of people enjoying a truly enjoyable hobby. Sorry if this left a bad taste in your mouth. Since the online community at large is still quite pathetic and immature, maybe you could have your niece focus on Single-Player games. Hell, I'm a 32 year old man who isn't offended by anything, and I still can't stand the online community (or most gamers, for that matter).

Best of luck in any case. :)

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AzelKosMos

Hell, I'm a 32 year old man who isn't offended by anything, and I still can't stand the online community (or most gamers, for that matter).

Jbul

26 year old male who only talks to friends online and mutes everyone else. We aren't much different :P

Peerbreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Peerbreed
I am friends with a few girl gamers as my ex worked in a game store and her friends play, and most of them only talk to people they know otherwise they get zeroed out by wankers. No idea why.AzelKosMos
That's pretty much how most the female gamers I know are. I have plenty of female friends that game but won't tell males. I was on the train with one of my female friends. She was playing her DS and this guy came up and asked her if she was a gamer. She told him no she doesn't play games. Him and I were both shocked because she had the DS in her hands! She told me she was so used to telling men she doesn't game that it just came out naturally. It's a shame that some females have to hid their hobby because of some peoples ignorance. As bad as people act on the internet I prefer it to the old days. At least now I can enjoy playing games with others. I just can't use my mic unless on a private server. Before online gaming I had to listen to that same garbage but in person. Thanks to LAN parties my trash talking skills are second to no one.
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AzelKosMos
[QUOTE="AzelKosMos"]I am friends with a few girl gamers as my ex worked in a game store and her friends play, and most of them only talk to people they know otherwise they get zeroed out by wankers. No idea why.Peerbreed
That's pretty much how most the female gamers I know are. I have plenty of female friends that game but won't tell males. I was on the train with one of my female friends. She was playing her DS and this guy came up and asked her if she was a gamer. She told him no she doesn't play games. Him and I were both shocked because she had the DS in her hands! She told me she was so used to telling men she doesn't game that it just came out naturally. It's a shame that some females have to hid their hobby because of some peoples ignorance. As bad as people act on the internet I prefer it to the old days. At least now I can enjoy playing games with others. I just can't use my mic unless on a private server. Before online gaming I had to listen to that same garbage but in person. Thanks to LAN parties my trash talking skills are second to no one.

:lol: Well asking her if she was a gamer when playing was a silly question in the first place so I believe the answer was well put. Not just gender that gets this sort of abuse though, I have had occasional abuse playing online if I spoke because I am British in a few matches, not to mention constant racist remarks I have heard against others as well. As you have mentioned there are a lot of nice gamers who couldn't care what gender you are, race or country of origin but wherever you get a large group of people together there will sadly be misinformed idiots. The few spoil it for the many :P
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

WhiteKnight77

What do you consider a core gamer? Just someone that plays an FPS? 40% is a large number of gamers, especially when the number of women gamers outnumber the gamers that are typically the ones spewing the vitriol towards the females.

When I think of a core gamer, I just think of someone who is dedicated to games and plays them often. Doesn't matter what kind of games they play. Where did you get the 40% number? Because I've personally not encountered that many female gamers.

My mother games pretty hard, I got her playing Tales of Vesperia now, but my fiance doesn't play anything but farmville and the occasional fighting game casually.

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

You forgot Jews, blacks, children, homosexuals, people with motor problems and speech impediments, and basically every group that ever existed. Don't think you are special.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Ignorace and a fragile ego are the reasons why I think there is a condescending attitude towards female gamers. Some of the nicest and most friendly people I ever met while gaming were in fact, girls. They aren't stuck up or try to prove their alpha-status while playing online as opposed to many male gamers. With gaming becoming more mainstream, there is bound to be more girls out there who play games on a regular basis.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23915 Posts

I can think of 2 reasons why you were treated like that

1. Gaming is generally considered a heavily male dominant hobby (around 30% are females and 70% are males with the female percentage increasing atm so that is not entirely true anymore). As a result, when a male gamers may sometimes be surprised when he sees a female gamer. Back like 5 years ago where I lived gaming was considered a hobby only for children and as a result, when an adult played games he was being looked at funny "arent you a bit too old to play games?". Female Gamers are unfortunately being stereotyped as "ignorant and bad players", and as a result being beaten by them is something that would make them "look bad", and in order to cover up for their defeat they will attempt to accuse the opponent of cheating or just being lucky.
  2. Second is the fact that people like feeling superior to other people (whether it is justified or not). It spans not only across genders, but also ethnicities, religious beliefs, nationalities and even neurolical physical features. Since it is easy to say someone is wrong and use any of the above mentioned things as an excuse to why he is wrong is a lot easier than giving an intelligent reason why he is wrong. As for people accusing you of cheating when you are doing well, that has to do with this as well to an extent, since they see themselves as the superior person and getting beaten by a woman would reduce their ego.

Oh yeah, I think you are doing a good choice choosing Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad over Battlefield 3. Looks like a much better game anyway.

Also, some of the best players out there are female, have you heard of ToSsGirL? She is one of the best starcraft players in the world.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
There are just mostly males playing video games, so people automatically think girls can't game. I'm sure there are many female dedicated gamers out there though.
Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
personally, i blame mtv :P on a more serious note, from what i can gather, this appears to be less of a problem among mmo playing males. im a male, and in my experiences in guild wars and LOTRO, there were plenty of females in chat. in fact, in guildwars, my guild's online roster was often composed of 30-40% females, and a few times we made teams that outnumbered females to males 5:3. but in both those games i never heard any female gamers complaining about the attitude of males, and i never witnessed the attitude you described being exhibited by males. i also played plenty of wow, but that's a different animal and i never used voice chat with people i don't know IRL. fact of the matter is, men don't know many females that game (not because they don't, but also because they don't say they do), especially where i live. hell, i have a hard time finding males that play pc games, if i found a female pc gamer i'd probably stop breathing for a few seconds. tbh, i don't really know who to blame. that's why i'm sticking to mtv.
Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
also, it's a lot easier to assume that males are gamers when they're not, this doesn't help dispel the stereotypes. if i asked a non-gamer male if he'd played call of duty, he could say "oh yeah, all the time" and i would assume he's a gamer, when upon closer inspection it might turn out that he doesn't know his cods from his mohs. the opposite is true for female gamers. if one told me she played loads of call of duty i am more inclined to think she's the casual farmville type who just played cod for 2 hours in her life.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

[QUOTE="Jbul"] Hell, I'm a 32 year old man who isn't offended by anything, and I still can't stand the online community (or most gamers, for that matter).

AzelKosMos

26 year old male who only talks to friends online and mutes everyone else. We aren't much different :P

Best thing I ever did.

Xbox Live, Privacy Settings, Voice Communication/Messages, Friends Only

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

[QUOTE="AzelKosMos"]

[QUOTE="Jbul"] Hell, I'm a 32 year old man who isn't offended by anything, and I still can't stand the online community (or most gamers, for that matter).

Jbul

Best thing I ever did.

Xbox Live, Privacy Settings, Voice Communication/Messages, Friends Only

Always fun when you go to a internet store (or whatever you call it?) And there is 1 girl and the guys are hulking around her and im like *facedesk* Honestly i dont care if it is a girl, a boy, a 90 year old lady or man ok now that would be epic ^^ but errr. Yeah overall i dont care. But yeah the line "A girl on the internet!?!?!" still hold true to alot of people sadly. Yet if you check statics there are quiet alot of girl gamers now days. Hell i know some that are better then most of the guys i know.