Best Streets of Rage game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

What do you think is the best?

From best to worst I'd rate them 3, 1 and 2. Three is the pinnacle of the sde scrolling beat-em up genre for me. The wide variety of moves and techniques you can do really make the combat satisfying, I enjoy the music the most, and the addition of dashing really kicks up the speed of the game. The only negative for me is that it's crazy difficult, but that's fun if you're into it. I think the graphics are great as well.

I like part 1 more than part 2 mainly for the art style, some of the bosses and some of the unintended combat things like being able to change direction the direction you're facing in the middle of a jump or attack make the combat more interesting.

wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#2 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

For me the best is 2, 1 then 3.

2 had the best soundtrack and the levels were better the only levels I hate in Streets of Rage 2 is the part with the motorbikes. As for 1 it was great along with great music but 3 I didn't like too much the soundtrack felt a bit weaker plus Max was removed and replaced with the boring Dr. Zan.

kingmav222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 kingmav222
Member since 2004 • 493 Posts

2 is the best one for me, mainly 'cos of all the memories of playing this game with friends, but 1 and 3 are both still good.

Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
2, then 3, then 1. 2 just runs magnificently, everything works perfectly, its just very well put together and an amazing game 3 is good, the dialog seems less than necessary (the other 2 needed close to none), it was a bit more difficult, but in less than appealing ways 1 was meh. repeating bosses and just general lack of flare.
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Definitely the second one.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

I am shocked you consider SOF2 the worst :o What planet are you from? Kidding :P Anyway I would say 2 is the best, then 1 and finally 3. I enjoyed them all but SOF2 is just the best in terms of characters, moves, environments, bosses and especially music, though the original SOF comes close in that department.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

Bare Knuckle II was one of the defining games of the Mega Drive and of the 16-bit generation. It gets my vote.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#8 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
I like them all. I don't even know which one I own, I just know it kicks a lot of ass. Even if it's a bit hard.
benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#9 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

Streets of Rage 1 was my favourite in the series.

Avatar image for child_of_lileth
child_of_lileth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 child_of_lileth
Member since 2007 • 4066 Posts

2 was my favorite, and 3 is my least favorite.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Senor_Kami

I am shocked you consider SOF2 the worst :o What planet are you from? Kidding :P Anyway I would say 2 is the best, then 1 and finally 3. I enjoyed them all but SOF2 is just the best in terms of characters, moves, environments, bosses and especially music, though the original SOF comes close in that department.

Swift_Boss_A
3 has a way deeper moveset than 2 and all of the moves have their own uses that you need to use to really do well at the game. I love the music in 3. It's way more techno and noise/glitch/industrial than the other ones, which is a plus for me. Two feels like a Final Fight clone imo, even down to the art style.
LynnTerra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 LynnTerra
Member since 2010 • 190 Posts

One will always have a place in my heart as it was the original reason I purchased a Genesis to begin with. Part 2 became my favorite because it just added so much more to the great series.

I can't really comment on 3 because I didn't like the fact Yuzo Koshiro didn't make that soundtrack. The first two rocked. Third one just failed to hard to be worth anything good.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Senor_Kami
I can't really comment on 3 because I didn't like the fact Yuzo Koshiro didn't make that soundtrack. The first two rocked. Third one just failed to hard to be worth anything good.LynnTerra
Koshiro did make the soundtrack for the third game though...
sheepradish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 sheepradish
Member since 2006 • 2242 Posts

2 then 3

for some reason I hate the 1st one.

LynnTerra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 LynnTerra
Member since 2010 • 190 Posts

Just refreshed my memory and he did indeed. That kind of sucks though being he did such great jobs on the first two. The third SOR soundtrack sounded like trash.

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
First. Was the first one I played and I love the art style.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
It would be 3 if not for the unbalanced difficulty (to this day I can breeze through 2 with ease even on Hardest but find Normal on 3 a challenge) and the terrible soundtrack. Best in the series is 2. 1 is somewhere between 2/3 in terms of fun factor but at the same time it shows it's age the most of the three by a long way.
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
For me there exists only Streets of Rage 1. SoR 2 and 3 are like the lesser inbred brothers of the family. I mean I own Streets of Rage 2 also, and I have played through 3 but I hated them. A guy on rollerskates? Axel looks like a retard in SoR2. And guns? This defeats the purpose of SoR. In SoR1 stages and music were way superior aswell, and you had the policecar special weapons.
channtheman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 channtheman1
Member since 2007 • 1176 Posts
Number 1 hands down. My cousin used to sleep over and he would bring over Streets of Rage with his Genesis. Boy was that awesome! I recently played 2 and while it was similar it didn't feel the same. So I'm sure my opinion isn't that factually based but just for me the first one has all the memories and the "feel".
enix165

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 enix165
Member since 2007 • 1848 Posts

I'd go with 2, seeing as how it's one of my all-time favorite side-scrolling beat 'em ups. I wasn't a huge fan of Streets Of Rage 1, but that could've been because I was playing the Master System version and not the Genesis one, and I had no idea there even was a third. Now I must look it up.