Best Shooter games of 2017 and what upcoming Shooting games are you looking forward in 2018?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

What can I say, I enjoy playing shooters since the dawn of N64 with Goldeneye and all that jazz stuff. But anyways, there were some pretty good badass shooters in 2017. Rather it's in first-person or 3rd-person, you aim and shoot the targets. I'm pretty sure everyone here is gonna say PUBG is the best shooting game but since I haven't played it at all, can't say more about it. My shooting game list in 2017 are:

• Wolfenstine: The New Colossus
  • Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition
  • Vanquish (PC version release in 2017)
  • Prey
  • Ghost Recon: Wildlands

Upcoming shooter games I'm looking forward to in 2018 is really just Witchfire if it releases this year that is.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

@davillain-: Grabbed Splatoon 2 and enjoying that so far. As 2017 shooting games go it's tough to consider better. Had the original on WiiU and was so bare boned it wasn't worth a long investment. The new one is everything I wanted the original to be!

However, are we counting Resident Evil 7 a "shooter"? if so, that wins my vote.

2018, Quake: Champions getting out Beta will be awesome! Love the game but from a technical aspect we're playing a demo with microtransactions.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DaVillain  Moderator

@RSM-HQ said:

@davillain-: Grabbed Splatoon 2 and enjoying that so far. As 2017 shooting games go it's tough to consider better. Had the original on WiiU and was so bare boned it wasn't worth a long investment. The new one is everything I wanted the original to be!

However, are we counting Resident Evil 7 a "shooter"? if so, that wins my vote.

2018, Quake: Champions getting out Beta will be awesome! Love the game but from a technical aspect we're playing a demo with microtransactions.

Nice picks. I too played RE7 & Splatoon 2 as well. I actually like RE7 only because it felt like a fresh new start of the series and yeah, I just never view it as a heavy shooter but you're right, it's a first-person-shooter :)

Also, WOW, were getting a new Quake game? Cool!!!

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ

@davillain-: Quake: Champions is already available on Steam as the usual 'Early Access' glorified pay for Beta game. Multiplayer has some stiff lag and not many are a fan of certain balance issues. Still worth checking out though, especially if one games on P.C. from time-to-time.

Not my main platform but I do enjoy a nice P.C. game build with mouse and keyboard in mind.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#5 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10440 Posts

i can only comment on sp shooters and for me 2017 was slim pickings. i personally don't count games like re7 as shooters. prey is a bit of a stretch too. to me a shooter is guns from the offset and the focus throughout i.e. doom, wolfenstein, titanfall, cod, battlefield etc.

i liked wildlands in principle but the trademark ubisoft shoe-horning in of an unnecessary open world and a bunch of filler side content robbed the game of any momentum and immersion. shame as it had tons of potential. on my first play wolfenstein was serviceable but nothing more. i'll give it another shot though. beyond that there's only, dare i say it, the ww2 campaign that i found fun. it's the same old cod formula but it had its moments and seeing as though there's little in the way of stiff competition for it i'll give the nod to cod, unless we're counting prey in which case i'll go with that

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

Wolfenstein 2: TNC was easily my favourite shooter of 2017.

As for 2018, games like Metro Exodus and possibly Halo 6, are at the top of my list.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RSM-HQ
@Macutchi said:

to me a shooter is guns from the offset and the focus throughout i.e. doom, wolfenstein, titanfall, cod, battlefield etc.

If Dav put FPS (First Person Shooter) I'd humbly agree with your statement. However, the loose term was "Shooter" which as he described can factor in many genres so long as shooting is the center core of the experience.

Yet I refuse to put The Evil Within 2 considering I backstab and use axes all the time in that game, lol.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10440 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:
@Macutchi said:

to me a shooter is guns from the offset and the focus throughout i.e. doom, wolfenstein, titanfall, cod, battlefield etc.

If Dav put FPS (First Person Shooter) I'd humbly agree with your statement. However, the loose term was "Shooter" which as he described can factor in many genres so long as shooting is the center core of the experience.

Yet I refuse to put The Evil Within 2 considering I backstab and use axes all the time in that game, lol.

fair point, that's a good way to make a distinction between the two

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator

@RSM-HQ said:
@Macutchi said:

Correct. I didn't want to use "first-person-shooter" only for the sake of this thread. I use "shooter" as in anything to do with using something to aim at with any weapon at hand and there were really fun shooters in 2017 that I felt discussing what the gamers had fun playing.

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Wolfenstein 2: TNC was easily my favourite shooter of 2017.

As for 2018, games like Metro Exodus and possibly Halo 6, are at the top of my list.

It took me a couple of plays to get me really hook into Wolfenstine 2 at first and so far, I'm really engaging this game more so.

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Black96Z
Member since 2007 • 955 Posts

Im waiting for news on the RE7 4k patch and news on RE2 Remake.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RSM-HQ
@Black96Z said:

Im waiting for news on the RE7 4k patch and news on RE2 Remake.

Resident Evil 2 if faithful to the original won't be a Shooter, sorry if that seems disappointing_

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

Haven't played many this year. Played Prey but it was kinda boring and eventually dropped off.

Duke3d: 20th ended up playing through Christmas and new year, still enjoyable as ever.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

It all depends on what you like playing: I prefer both singleplayer and multiplayer shooters. And if a game has an excellent singleplayer campaign on top of the multiplayer, that is even better.

From your post I take it you like singleplayer oriented FPS more ?

Some of my favourite games of last year include:

• Battlefield 1 - came out in 2016 but got several expansions last year
  • Day of Infamy
  • Rising Storm 2
  • Killing Floor 2

Yeah, all of those are multiplayer but I also enjoyed a good bunch of singleplayer games:

• Wolfenstein: TNC
  • Prey
  • STRAFE - Not a lot of people mention this game, but I absolutely adored my time with it
  • Sniper Elite 4 - Again, if you are into singleplayer shooters... check this out !
  • Call of Duty: WWII - Not as good as old school call of duties, the campaign is definitely worth checking out
  • Sniper ghost warrior

I'd also like to mention Mafia III for it's awesome shooter mechanics, a game I played a long way into 2017 and kept coming back to.

As for 2018 there are several shooters for me to look forward to, but the one I'm anticipating the most is...

• Insurgency: Sandstorm

I just love the passion and dedication NWI has for their games. I'm sure they'll make it into something amazing.

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Black96Z

@RSM-HQ: im aware of that. But with the lack of news on it it is hard to know what it will be.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RSM-HQ

@Black96Z: I'd imagine low resources, one hit kill enemies, many puzzles, and intense item management still crossing-over to the remake. Even if it's over the shoulder view. Otherwise Capcom will have failed remaking Resi2.

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Black96Z

@RSM-HQ: http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-news/rumor-no-announcement-resident-evil-2-remake-details-leaked-via-4chan/

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Witchfire does look appealing. Other than that, probably Days Gone, Metro and that Destiny game that Bioware is doing.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RSM-HQ

@Black96Z: Taken with a grain but that actually seems promising if true.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I enjoyed cod ww2 and the new Wolfenstein game and in 2018 I'm going to buy far cry 5 and metro exodus and system shock

jenydaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jenydaman
Member since 2018 • 8 Posts

hello everyone ,

is bubble shooter or shooting? shooting games ? or ball games ?

:D

thanks

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

Wolfenstain 2 and COD WW2 Prey last year best shooters this year iam interest for metro exodus

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Destiny 2, hate all you want but I still love this game.

Alien Colonial Marines, got it for $4 and still feel like I got ripped off. I could have lived with the glitches and horrible story/characters, but even the shooting mechanics are broken and not fun in anyway, shape or form.

Spec Ops: The Line, having a lot of fun with this one, about half way through it as of now.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

If I am really in the mood for a shooter I will pull something out of my library from almost 20 years ago. I have moved on to other types of games

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

@sukraj said:

I enjoyed cod ww2 and the new Wolfenstein game and in 2018 I'm going to buy far cry 5 and metro exodus and system shock

Good choices man, I'm also looking forward to Far Cry. But I won't be getting it on launch.

Thinking of replaying the previous metro's too before I'll dive into Exodus :)

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sukraj

@R4gn4r0k said:
@sukraj said:

Good choices man, I'm also looking forward to Far Cry. But I won't be getting it on launch.

Thinking of replaying the previous metro's too before I'll dive into Exodus :)

yeah the metro series is cool I think I may pick both Metro games for the Xbox X

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DaVillain  Moderator

@vfighter said:

Alien Colonial Marines, got it for $4 and still feel like I got ripped off. I could have lived with the glitches and horrible story/characters, but even the shooting mechanics are broken and not fun in anyway, shape or form.

Spec Ops: The Line, having a lot of fun with this one, about half way through it as of now.

I fell in love with the first Destiny game on PS4, for some reasons, I can't get into Destiny 2 when I pick up the PC version. Glad to see your enjoying the game however.

@sukraj said:

Totally looking forward to Far Cry 5 on launch day.

tonylogan007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tonylogan007
Member since 2011 • 101 Posts

@davillain-: I wanted to say Vanquish but I see you already did, nice. Vanquish is one of my all time favorite shooters. It got great reviews but for some reason didn't get too much praise.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

Echo Combat. Could be one of the best FPS games of 2018 if it lives up to expectations.

At the very least, it'll be the first shooter of it's kind, something totally different.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

I don't think I even played any 2017 shooters, and I'm not excited for any 2018 shooters. Too much ADS (iron sights), upgrading and other shit. I wish there was a good third person shooter coming, but the few that are being made now have some lame combination of automatic cover systems and forced over the shoulder aiming. So I just keep playing Max Payne 3.

Boren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Boren
Member since 2017 • 10 Posts

I'm looking forward Vampyr, an action-adventure game produced by "Life Is Strange" and "Remember Me" developer DontNod, will be released in this spring.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sukraj

@davillain- said:
@vfighter said:

I fell in love with the first Destiny game on PS4, for some reasons, I can't get into Destiny 2 when I pick up the PC version. Glad to see your enjoying the game however.

@sukraj said:

Totally looking forward to Far Cry 5 on launch day.

I love that the game is set in montana America and I think I might pre order the deluxe edition

obbatgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By obbatgirl
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

call of duty ww2