Before you play/ buy RDR2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ado_Strav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By Ado_Strav
Member since 2019 • 2 Posts

Welcome to the new blog called Before You buy/play where I'm going to tell the drawbacks of a game so you can have a 2nd opinion about the game. I'm not telling that all these games that I'm going to talk about are trash. I'm trying to make you think: Is this game worth it? Should I spend my money for this game? Let's start with RDR 2, massively multiplayer, open world game made by Rockstar. Let's start this off

The funny thing about Red Dead Redemption 2 is that despite all of the things it does so fantastically well, the problems aren't exactly hard to spot. This is a massive, sprawling title with both triumphs and failures that are hard to ignore no matter how you're playing, and it's a testament to those triumphs that we're able to forget about these problems when faced with what the game does well.

Still, this is a game with some issues, and there's no way around that.Below we've got the 5 biggest problems with Red Dead Redemption 2:

Depressing, Endless Story: This is by far my biggest gripe with the game. The story is well told but feels poorly-conceived, and it's a relentless, depressing downer. The fact that this is a prequel means we already know that things don't end well for many of these characters, but you don't need to have played Red Dead Redemption to witness the continual beating they take just in this game. Things start bad and they end worse, the difference is that it takes a whopping 60 hours to make it through. Some editing and reorganization could have significantly lessened the impact here-- there's a reason why Cormac Mccarthy books aren't 60 hours long, and there's a reason King Lear is crammed full of raunchy jokes.

Clunky Mechanics:

Red Dead Redemption 2's Arthur Morgan is a slow, bulky cowboy that responds to button presses in good time. Not only is there noticeable input lag in a number of situations, but the main character also moves slow and strangely throughout much of the game. There are great moments in the control scheme, notably the always-satisfying Deadeye ability. But all in all, things aren't as tight as they need to be here, even if this isn't a competitive multiplayer game yet. The game too often forces you to slow down unnaturally, and the result actually breaks the illusion rather than reinforcing it.

Add into this a confusing and slippery UI and you have a situation where the game just doesn't do what you want it to nearly often enough. The less said about horses running headlong into trees, the better.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Before you buy RDR2, play GTA V and realize Rockstar still doesn't know fun controls.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Before you buy RDR 2....wait for the pc version. Then you can mod out all the shit mechanics from the game.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

I thought this was about, "Before you buy" YouTuber lol.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DoomNukem3D
Member since 2019 • 445 Posts

@ezekiel43: Is it really too hard for a AAA company like Rockstar to refine the gameplay and mechanics in their games or do they just not give a crap?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

@ado_strav: You are inherently wrong!

Red Dead 2 has graphics, story, and an open world. And that's it.

Gameplay is overrated.

-sincerely some Rockstar fanboi

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#6 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

While I absolutely loved RDR2, I was perplexed by how Rockstar maniacally pursued realism to unreasonable extents, and then made a combat system that's the most arcadey thing imaginable.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@doomnukem3d said:

@ezekiel43: Is it really too hard for a AAA company like Rockstar to refine the gameplay and mechanics in their games or do they just not give a crap?

Why should they care when unprofessional reviewers will give them perfect scores and players everywhere will buy the game just for the authenticity and amount of content? No one encourages them to fix their controls.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#8 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

@ezekiel43: Exactly. Rockstar during a time tried opening its horizons and was shunned for it.

Ado_Strav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ado_Strav
Member since 2019 • 2 Posts

@RSM-HQ: I also play RDR2. I did't say that RDR2 is a "bad" game. I want people to think their action before they buy a game. My brother that bought the game finished it 4 months. He was hyped for a few weeks and then boom, nothing..

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

@ado_strav said:

@RSM-HQ: I also play RDR2. I did't say that RDR2 is a "bad" game. I want people to think their action before they buy a game. My brother that bought the game finished it 4 months. He was hyped for a few weeks and then boom, nothing..

While you are the topic creator, you don't bump old threads that are 2 weeks and older when no one hasn't respond beyond that period of time. So in the future, please don't bump old threads.

Locking this thread for Necro bump thread.