matthova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 198

User Lists: 0

Edited By matthova
Member since 2008 • 199 Posts

I realize the lateness of this post. But I really want to bring to the attention the greatness of these 2 videos games.I havent beaten either game yet to date but the reason for that is well....just complicated. Life has gotten in the way.

I got Horizon Zero Dawn about 2 years ago. Its a beautiful game with lots of really cool locations. The fighting system is really dope too. A little 2 dimensional but basically divided between a wide assortment of ranged weapons and your spear. The way the main character interacts with environment is really dope too. There's not a lot Alloy can't do. Alloy's adversaries are tough and varied.

I got Zelda Breath of the Wild just last year. The world is really really big. I just love the way the game seems to have so many ways to be played. Its a truly non linear experience. Link has lots of combat options too. I dont really like the way your weaopons break and you have to go get new weapons...I've gotten used to it but its really annoying. Link's ability to climb stuff is really cool.

Overall I feel these are the 2 games of this generation. Its just easy to dismiss them but when you play them for a long period of time you appreaciate greatness.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#1 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

I also played both. I liked how BOTW felt like the first ever Zelda game but it lacked everything Zelda is known for namely a few but memorable dongeons and of course object to collec to open new places that the original had even though it was open world.

BOTW had so many tiny dongeon that I didn't care that much for them ... and while it was a big world, it was stupidly empty it wasn't worth the effort to look around. There wasn't any secret anything outside stupid little Leaf guys.

I did like a lot lot lot more Horizon Zero Dawn. The game is beautiful, the music was super nice. It still had some direction event though it was open world.

all the quest did felt normal. I mean that everything felt Aloy's personality you never had the stupid choice to do something bad because she isn't like that.

The ennemies felt varied enough and they all needed a tactics to kill them or get them to be your ally which was super cool. In BOTW you had like... 4 enemies types in every color and well I didn't enjoy it at all.

Anything thing I enjoy a lot more in HZD than in BOTW is the fact that everyone you talk to in the game is aware of what is going on. In BOTW they are like super happy but you have Ganon powerful energy shield around the castle and no one gives a shit ...

So yeah. HZD hands down. BOTW is probably my worst Zelda game.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19571 Posts

I don't see any battle here at all.

Horizon Zero Dawn was dead boring. The enviornments were pretty and the enemy design was kind of cool - those were the only two high points for me, and they didn't keep me playing beyond the 12-hour mark.

Zelda was brilliant, up there with The Witcher 3 as one of the best games of the gen.

HZD was a 7/10 game with 9/10 vegetation. BOTW was a 10/10 game.

Avatar image for gettingonwithgaminglife
GettingonwithGamingLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 GettingonwithGamingLife
Member since 2017 • 277 Posts

I liked Horizon Zero Dawn, because I've never played Legends of Zelda Breath of the Wild. :). Still would like to try the latter. I did enjoy the story in Horizon Zero Dawn and the variations of tribes, the cool look of the robots.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#4 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

Definitely Horizon Zero Dawn. Story, music, graphics, and worldbuilding were all top notch. The enemy types and varieties were also great and seemed really realistic and similar to actual animals in their real world habitats. There were also lots of cool extra things to do like the cauldrons and all of the Hunters Guild side quests.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

Horizon Zero Dawn felt like it didn't know what to be but ultimately catered towards fans of games like the new Tomb Raider and other third person action games of that kin. A lot of jumping, ok shooting, and poor melee combat. Good looking game but much like Guerrilla Games Killzone, found it lacking in any appealing way. This may perhaps be because I've simply played my fill of these kind of games.

Breath of the Wild, while I see more of its appeal, is one of my least enjoyed Zelda games. Frequent breaking weapons and commonly cook mini game gets tedious very quickly. You can even help build a town. Ultimately becomes more of a simulator. The game is too focused on drilling the player with scavenging for food and weapons to enjoy its improved combat and great climbing/ gliding mechanics. Dungeons are also pretty bad. Appreciate what it does but it's not a game I personally find enjoyable, it was a chore.

If my vote has to go towards a recent open world game? It would be The Witcher 3. And I'm sure that may raise a few eyebrows but if one looks back I never disliked the game. While TW3 also has flaws (combat), it also understands how to use open world design, and caters towards that audience in the overall correct way. Everything in the world has purpose and value.

Much how Morrowind does it (best played with Overhaul 3.0)

Future prediction, is The Outer Worlds. Something about that seems like a winner. Looks to be Fallout 3: Done-Gud Edition.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

I haven't played BOTW but considering I can't stand Horizon, Zelda gets my vote by default.