Batman: Arkham Asylum Demo is out now on XBL/PSN! Post Your Impressions!

• 146 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Adam314-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#101 Adam314-
Member since 2008 • 1613 Posts
I enojoyed it was great
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
[QUOTE="martialbullet"][QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

How do you break the glass ceiling again? I tried landing on top of it, but it didnt break.

You have to wait for someone to walk under it I believe...

Didn't know you could do that. *Goes to try it.* Anyway, I traded in a bunch of stuff to buy this....or maybe Little King's Story.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#103 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

assuming that the game has a decent length, I can't see not buying this game.

Dire_Weasel

The guy reviewing it for gametrailers.com has this to say, ".... and that was about fourth of the game I played, and it took me 6 something hours to get through it." :D

Link. 26:40 minutes into the vid. Apparently the combos get more advanced as well.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#104 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I tried it and I'm apparently no good at the stealth portion, cause they see me and shoot me dead after I take down any guard
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#105 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

I tried it and I'm apparently no good at the stealth portion, cause they see me and shoot me dead after I take down any guardAllicrombie

Dont go in Rambo styIe, you're Batman. :P If you look up, you'll find statues (Gargoyles) Batman can grapple on to. Use your Batman vision (L2) to spot where they are. Then you can either sneak up behind them for a silent kill or look for the Bat sign on an enemy which should give you various different options for a take down. Once on top of aGargoyle/statue, you can do a glide kick, a takedown, an inverted takedown. If you find yourself out in the open, hold R2 and press X to take cover behind any object.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
Have to say, as short as the demo was, it was a ton of fun. The only complaint I have, which is really more of a nit-pick, is that they didn't have the original actor playing Jim Gordon. Everything else seems to indicate that they may have nailed it. :shock:
Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#107 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

I played the demo a few hours ago and was surprised to enjoy it. The character models reminded me of the Animated series and the stealth elements felt like Asassain's Creed and Tenchu and a little Splinter Cell, it was good to note that going into combat was suicide for sure, the game is clearly designed to encourage the player to use stealth into of going blindly in.

I might just buy this game, the demo ended too soon and I was really looking forward to a boss fight at the end. It appears there will be collectibles, the game's life span, if I were to hazard a guess, could be around seven hours or so, maybe longer.
The controls felt good, could become at ease with them after an hour or so. The full game might allow for the hand holding to be switched off in the options, unknown at this time. Maybe there's also a lot of unlockables, hard to know for sure.

But if the finished game is as good as the demo seems to show, then it could be a nice change of pace from the flood of FPS games.

R/T

kate_jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 kate_jones
Member since 2007 • 3221 Posts

I loved the demo, pre-orderd the CE for ps3 after playing it, though I must say pc the version with physx looks amazing

S3XYT1M3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 S3XYT1M3
Member since 2009 • 834 Posts

its a great demo to a game i love striking fear into the hearts of my enemies X{D

ATKisNeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#111 ATKisNeat
Member since 2007 • 380 Posts

[QUOTE="Dire_Weasel"]

S0lidSnake

The guy reviewing it for gametrailers.com has this to say, ".... and that was about fourth of the game I played, and it took me 6 something hours to get through it." :D

Link. 26:40 minutes into the vid. Apparently the combos get more advanced as well.

Meaning we have a long game on our hands? =]
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

It's been a while since I played a demo this much.

What is even more amazing is that I keep seeing new things every time I play.

I just hope this game sells millions of copies and allows the development house to release a sequel in an open-world Gotham city. This really could blossom into an amazing franchise, especially with Batman being so insanely popular right now.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Grammaton-Cleric

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="Dire_Weasel"]

ATKisNeat

Meaning we have a long game on our hands? =]

Not to mention the Challenge Rooms and future DLC content. Given how much I've replayed the demo, this game looks to have serious value.

viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 viewtiful26
Member since 2005 • 2842 Posts
Huh...I wasn't aware a demo was available. Guess I'm gonna go download it now.
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#115 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts
I played the demo, it was repetitive, easy, and boring, I don't think it will get higher than 8.5 on GS's review, I don't get what all the hype is about.
martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 martialbullet
Member since 2006 • 10948 Posts

I played the demo, it was repetitive, easy, and boring, I don't think it will get higher than 8.5 on GS's review, I don't get what all the hype is about.StealthMonkey4

O___O *Splashes you with holy water* >____>

"Repetitive": I highly disagree with that. hand to hand combat, stealth, detective, boss battle. If anything, BAA has variety and different ways to approach each gameplay scenario.

"Easy": That's not really the point especially when the demo is more of a basic introduction as things will get progressively challenging in the full version.

"Boring": Well, if that's how you feel about it. Can't argue with that.

Dollar75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#118 Dollar75
Member since 2006 • 718 Posts

I think I've lost count on how many times I've restarted the last section, very addictive. I'm trying out new ways of taking them down, like hiding under the glass tiles and coming out and sneaking behind them.

Taking out the guards whilst not alerting them to my presence is good fun.

Mash_Affect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Mash_Affect
Member since 2008 • 631 Posts

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

[QUOTE="ATKisNeat"] Meaning we have a long game on our hands? =]dvader654

Not to mention the Challenge Rooms and future DLC content. Given how much I've replayed the demo, this game looks to have serious value.

This is the demo of the year. I cant stop playing, its magical.

I'm with you guys. I have a backlog a mile long and everytime I turn my system on I can't help but play through the demo again. I'm dying to have this game.

Fandangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Fandangle
Member since 2003 • 3433 Posts

I enjoyed the demo - however I might wait for a price drop to get it

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Travo_basic
I played the demo, it was repetitive, easy, and boring, I don't think it will get higher than 8.5 on GS's review, I don't get what all the hype is about.StealthMonkey4
You need to try different ways to take down the enemy. There's at least ten different ways in the demo. There's huge gameplay variety here. Maybe it is a little easy, but it sure is fun. :D As for boring, I just don't see it. Theres too much to do in this one demo.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Travo_basic
Am I the only one who enjoyed playing Batman Begins. The gameplay was similar to this.
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 StealthMonkey4

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]I played the demo, it was repetitive, easy, and boring, I don't think it will get higher than 8.5 on GS's review, I don't get what all the hype is about.martialbullet

"Repetitive": I highly disagree with that. hand to hand combat, stealth, detective, boss battle. If anything, BAA has variety and different ways to approach each gameplay scenario.

All fights were pretty much the same, Jam square and you win. The stealth gameplay was pathetic as the enemy AI is horrible, I was standing 5 feet in front an enemy standing up and they didn't see me. All you have to do is hold R2 and unless you get 2 inches in front of their face, you can't get caught. The detective sequences were boring as all you really did was open one vent or just go from gargoyle to gargoyle. There was hardly any variety in the detective parts and I couldn't imagine much more variety in the full game.

"Easy": That's not really the point especially when the demo is more of a basic introduction as things will get progressively challenging in the full version.

I couldn't imagine this game getting any harder when the AI is horrible making stealth kills a cinch and each fight can be won by jamming square.

We are all entitled to our opinion I guess but I have no idea how so many people think this game is amazing, and I don't know why it's getting hyped, just seems like another generic game.

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

I would just like to point out that this is what a demo is supposed to be. It came out about 20 days before the game. It wasn't tied to a pre-order. Anybody with a PC, 360, or PS3 can download it and play it. The demo is real fun, shows you the story a bit, and lets you get a good idea of what the game is about while giving you a real good, open-ended sceanario at the end. The demo sold copies of the game, which is what a demo is supposed to do.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Travo_basic

I would just like to point out that this is what a demo is supposed to be. It came out about 20 days before the game. It wasn't tied to a pre-order. Anybody with a PC, 360, or PS3 can download it and play it. The demo is real fun, shows you the story a bit, and lets you get a good idea of what the game is about while giving you a real good, open-ended sceanario at the end. The demo sold copies of the game, which is what a demo is supposed to do.

AtomicTangerine
Definitely sold one to me.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

AtomicTangerine
The other two demos that come to mind that I enjoyed this much are Metal Gear Solid 2 and Resident Evil 4 (GC). Though MGS2's demo may not have been indicative of the rest of the game (no Raiden, different setting), it gave you the entire first segment of the game, ending with the boss fight. You could speed run through it in about 5 minutes once you knew what you were doing, but there were so many different ways to fight the guards, so many things to interact with (lockers, steam pipes, bottles, kitchenware, food items, cardboard boxes) that you could experiment and find out new ways to play through that demo every single time. Plus it gave you a boss fight to cap it off. For RE4, you had a small part of the first chapter, but again there was so much in that. The village trail and the shacks along the way eased you into things, then you suddenly got thrown into the village and an endless supply of enemies. Again though, you had options: you could stay in the open and fight, you could barricade yourself in one of the houses and make your stand, or even get the shotgun and have to deal with a "boss" with a chainsaw. It was intense but gave you so many options, and it was fun to play it over and over again. That demo alone sold many people on the game when they'd already written off Resident Evil as a series.
ATKisNeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 ATKisNeat
Member since 2007 • 380 Posts
Now honestly the one thing that would make me jumping for joy is if in the CE they had the Batman Animated Series discs =D
viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 viewtiful26
Member since 2005 • 2842 Posts
Am I the only one who enjoyed playing Batman Begins. The gameplay was similar to this.Travo_basic
Batman Begins was more linear than this, I'd say. BTW how many unlockables are in the demo? I found a Riddler bio that was lying around but that was about it. All the other bios seemed to unlock automatically.
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Grammaton-Cleric

[QUOTE="martialbullet"]

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]I played the demo, it was repetitive, easy, and boring, I don't think it will get higher than 8.5 on GS's review, I don't get what all the hype is about.StealthMonkey4

All fights were pretty much the same, Jam square and you win. The stealth gameplay was pathetic as the enemy AI is horrible, I was standing 5 feet in front an enemy standing up and they didn't see me. All you have to do is hold R2 and unless you get 2 inches in front of their face, you can't get caught. The detective sequences were boring as all you really did was open one vent or just go from gargoyle to gargoyle. There was hardly any variety in the detective parts and I couldn't imagine much more variety in the full game.

I couldn't imagine this game getting any harder when the AI is horrible making stealth kills a cinch and each fight can be won by jamming square.

We are all entitled to our opinion I guess but I have no idea how so many people think this game is amazing, and I don't know why it's getting hyped, just seems like another generic game.

Well, frankly, your opinion isn't particularly credible. Setting aside the fact that you feel the need to be that one guy who wants to try and spoil everybody else's pleasure with his pedantic, specious breakdown, your criticisms are off base and in some cases flat out wrong.

The A.I. is actually solid so I guess you got a different version of the demo because the field of vision for the enemies is actually a hell of a lot farther that five feet. As a point of fact, the thugs have seen me all the way across the room and they are aggressive and tenacious, tracking you if you take down an enemy and converging on your last known location.

There are no boring detective sequences because the detective sequences aren't in the demo, merely the use of the detective visor for the sake of strategic planning in combat. Even assuming scanning the area for enemies was the detective mode that will be found in the full game, how exactly does such a brief scan of the area constitute boredom? It's a nonsensical criticism made by somebody obviously eager to slam the game for whatever reason.

Also, the fact that you can't imagine the full game offering up more of a challenge doesn't mean much when you consider you've played maybe ten minutes of the full product. I've played the combat demo extensively and I can attest from personal experience that mashing on the attack button will get you dropped pretty quickly on higher difficulty settings. The real issue isn't that the demo is shallow but rather your perceptions of the game are knee-jerk and incredibly abrupt. You obviously have no interest in experimenting with the game space but rather prefer to have your game experiences spoon fed, which means this particular game wasn't meant for you, hence your confusion at the accolades the demo is receiving.

It's fine of you don't personally like the game but to say it lacks variety, even in the face of a legion of other gamers providing evidence to the contrary, is just ridiculous.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 StealthMonkey4

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

[QUOTE="martialbullet"]

A"Boring": Well, if that's how you feel about it. Can't argue with that.

Grammaton-Cleric

Well, frankly, your opinion isn't particularly credible. Setting aside the fact that you feel the need to be that one guy who wants to try and spoil everybody else's pleasure with his pedantic, specious breakdown, your criticisms are off base and in some cases flat out wrong.

The A.I. is actually solid so I guess you got a different version of the demo because the field of vision for the enemies is actually a hell of a lot farther that five feet.

After playing through the demo again, I guess it was just a fluke that the enemy didn't see me even though I as directly in front of him, because when I attempted it again the enemies always saw me.

As a point of fact, the thugs have seen me all the way across the room and they are aggressive and tenacious, tracking you if you take down an enemy and converging on your last known location.

There are no boring detective sequences because the detective sequences aren't in the demo, merely the use of the detective visor for the sake of strategic planning in combat.Even assuming scanning the area for enemies was the detective mode that will be found in the full game, how exactly does such a brief scan of the area constitute boredom? It's a nonsensical criticism made by somebody obviously eager to slam the game for whatever reason.

I guess I worded my words wrong, by the detective parts, I meant the platforming and stealth parts because those are the main parts in which you would use detective mode and I considered that to be the detective gameplay.

Also, the fact that you can't imagine the full game offering up more of a challenge doesn't mean much when you consider you've played maybe ten minutes of the full product. I've played the combat demo extensively and I can attest from personal experience that mashing on the attack button will get you dropped pretty quickly on higher difficulty settings. The real issue isn't that the demo is shallow but rather your perceptions of the game are knee-jerk and incredibly abrupt.

I played the full demo and won every fight just by jamming square and for the stealth parts you just simply glide from a gargoyle, walk behind the enemy and press triangle. The enemies can't really see you unless you get directly in their field of vision. You can walk in circles behind them and walk two inches behind them and they still won't detect you unless you get directly in their field of vision. The simplistic stealth actually reminded me much of Sly Cooper (not saying Sly is a bad game).

You obviously have no interest in experimenting with the game space but rather prefer to have your game experiences spoon fed, which means this particular game wasn't meant for you, hence your confusion at the accolades the demo is receiving.

When did I ever say I liked my game experiences spooned towards me...:|. There really isn't much to experiment with in the game, their are only three attacks, and just two stealth kills... I'm assuming there will be more in the full game but I couldn't imagine much more.

It's fine of you don't personally like the game but to say it lacks variety, even in the face of a legion of other gamers providing evidence to the contrary, is just ridiculous.

Where is this evidence to the contrary? It does lack variety in my opinion, in the demo all I did was jam square to fight, jump across gargoyles and kill a few braindead AI enemies, rinse and repeat. I'm simply responding to TC's topic and I'm not going to change my opinion because many other gamers like this game, It's my own opinion, not the majority of gamer's opinion. I'm not trying to rain on everyone's parade or be the oddball, I'm just giving my opinion, I have high hopes for this game and will wait for the reviews to decide if I may want to rent or even buy this game, just that judging from the demo I don't imagine it'd be that good.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Grammaton-Cleric

I played the full demo and won every fight just by jamming square and for the stealth parts you just simply glide from a gargoyle, walk behind the enemy and press triangle. The enemies can't really see you unless you get directly in their field of vision. You can walk in circles behind them and walk two inches behind them and they still won't detect you unless you get directly in their field of vision. The simplistic stealth actually reminded me much of Sly Cooper (not saying Sly is a bad game).

You obviously have no interest in experimenting with the game space but rather prefer to have your game experiences spoon fed, which means this particular game wasn't meant for you, hence your confusion at the accolades the demo is receiving.

When did I ever say I liked my game experiences spooned towards me...:|. There really isn't much to experiment with in the game, their are only three attacks, and just two stealth kills... I'm assuming there will be more in the full game but I couldn't imagine much more.

Where is this evidence to the contrary? It does lack variety in my opinion, in the demo all I did was jam square to fight, jump across gargoyles and kill a few braindead AI enemies, rinse and repeat. I'm simply responding to TC's topic and I'm not going to change my opinion because many other gamers like this game, It's my own opinion, not the majority of gamer's opinion. I'm not trying to rain on everyone's parade or be the oddball, I'm just giving my opinion, I have high hopes for this game and will wait for the reviews to decide if I may want to rent or even buy this game, just that judging from the demo I don't imagine it'd be that good.

StealthMonkey4

The demo only gives you a very thin slice of the combat so jamming on the button isn't necessarily indicative of the final product. Again, I've played the combat demo and the fighting on higher levels takes more skill than spamming the attack button. That said, the combat engine is flexible and robust so if you can't glean some enjoyment from the variety and would rather spam one attack to prove your point, that is your prerogative. I've never understood the mentality that some gamers have in trying to prove a game can be beaten in the most banal manner possible but in reality many games can be played and beaten in this manner so really, why bother trying to understand? Such criticisms are selective and always will be.

As to your claim that there are only three attacks and two stealth kills, that isn't true either. I have seen at least four standing stealth takedowns not to mention the attack from above, the glass ceiling attack, and the ability to attack and pull enemies off the ledge. I've actually seen two separate ledge attacks. There is also the glide kick and the extreme flexibility of the Batarang, which can be used to dizzy or even finish off opponents, depending on how creative you choose to be. And given that you earn more techniques and gadgets as you progress in the full game, what is offered in the demo seems pretty damn plentiful.

As to the stealth being simple, you really are grasping at straws considering the stealth elements in this game are no different than what is found in MGS, Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell, etc. I've played all of those games (and more) extensively and the A.I. in this game is on par if not better so unless you have some sacred stealth high water mark I've somehow missed, I'm curious to know what type of rubric you are employing when you call the mechanics simple and the enemy AI dumb.

Again, the issue isn't the game; it's you. You keep making erroneous assertions about the game play, some of which you've already admitted were incorrect. Your comments about the number of techniques is flatly wrong and you keep insisting that there isn't much to experiment with despite the fact that there are literally several pages of written text from gamers who continue to experiment and discover new things. Worse, you insist on downplaying the mechanics of the stealth elements even though anybody familiar with the stealth genre as a whole can attest that this game is deeper than most, even based on this short demo.

People seem to think that using the preface of opinion means they can say and write whatever they want, even when their arguments are flaccid and illogical. For example, you criticize the game for allowing Batman to get that close to the enemy from behind without them being aware of his presence despite the fact that this is a mainstay of the genre and, more importantly, a mainstay of the license this game is based upon. The issue isn't your opinion but rather the foundation you've built that opinion upon, which is tenuous. You are ripping a quality demo apart based on criticisms that can be applied to just about any other game in or out of the genre, which renders your argument both hypocritical and without merit.

So yes, everybody is entitled to his or her opinion. Some people think Britney Spears has more talent that the Beatles, others think G.I. Joe is a better film than Michael Mann's Public Enemies. Regardless, ridiculous, uninformed opinions stretch credulity, much like your assessment of this demo.

Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
Demo was great, graphics didn't look half as impressive as I thought they would be (Movie graphics are fantastic, gameplay is decent) and I was hoping there would be more xploration and detective work but it seems not so much, but the demo was really fun, and I'd buy it if I had the money.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#133 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

Just got finished from playing the demo, and I'm happy that this game turned out better than I expected judging by the demo. Great graphics, atmosphere, sound, and combat is satifying and easy to pull combos. The stealth mechanic is well done, it has great ideas from different games of other genres that has managed to succesfully executed into a Batman game. Its evident that alot of work went into this game. The intro is pretty cool and the presentation. My only gripe was I wish an over the shoulder view ala RE5, but that's just me I guess. Seems like this is shaping out to be this generations Butcher Bay as one of our drunk forumite had hoped for :lol:

D3s7rUc71oN
:shock:
StaticPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#134 StaticPenguin
Member since 2004 • 3433 Posts

It's too short. I like playing it, but it only lasts like 5 minutes not counting cutscenes.

martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 martialbullet
Member since 2006 • 10948 Posts
Am I the only one who enjoyed playing Batman Begins. The gameplay was similar to this.Travo_basic
yeah, that was a solid game, but it's a shame it didn't allow you to experiment that much at all. Of course I think that was the first Batman game to use stealth...
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 StealthMonkey4

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

Grammaton-Cleric

The demo only gives you a very thin slice of the combat so jamming on the button isn't necessarily indicative of the final product. Again, I've played the combat demo and the fighting on higher levels takes more skill than spamming the attack button. That said, the combat engine is flexible and robust so if you can't glean some enjoyment from the variety and would rather spam one attack to prove your point, that is your prerogative. I've never understood the mentality that some gamers have in trying to prove a game can be beaten in the most banal manner possible but in reality many games can be played and beaten in this manner so really, why bother trying to understand? Such criticisms are selective and always will be.

As to your claim that there are only three attacks and two stealth kills, that isn't true either. I have seen at least four standing stealth takedowns not to mention the attack from above, the glass ceiling attack, and the ability to attack and pull enemies off the ledge. I've actually seen two separate ledge attacks. There is also the glide kick and the extreme flexibility of the Batarang, which can be used to dizzy or even finish off opponents, depending on how creative you choose to be. And given that you earn more techniques and gadgets as you progress in the full game, what is offered in the demo seems pretty damn plentiful.

As to the stealth being simple, you really are grasping at straws considering the stealth elements in this game are no different than what is found in MGS, Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell, etc. I've played all of those games (and more) extensively and the A.I. in this game is on par if not better so unless you have some sacred stealth high water mark I've somehow missed, I'm curious to know what type of rubric you are employing when you call the mechanics simple and the enemy AI dumb.

Again, the issue isn't the game; it's you. You keep making erroneous assertions about the game play, some of which you've already admitted were incorrect. Your comments about the number of techniques is flatly wrong and you keep insisting that there isn't much to experiment with despite the fact that there are literally several pages of written text from gamers who continue to experiment and discover new things. Worse, you insist on downplaying the mechanics of the stealth elements even though anybody familiar with the stealth genre as a whole can attest that this game is deeper than most, even based on this short demo.

People seem to think that using the preface of opinion means they can say and write whatever they want, even when their arguments are flaccid and illogical. For example, you criticize the game for allowing Batman to get that close to the enemy from behind without them being aware of his presence despite the fact that this is a mainstay of the genre and, more importantly, a mainstay of the license this game is based upon. The issue isn't your opinion but rather the foundation you've built that opinion upon, which is tenuous. You are ripping a quality demo apart based on criticisms that can be applied to just about any other game in or out of the genre, which renders your argument both hypocritical and without merit.

So yes, everybody is entitled to his or her opinion. Some people think Britney Spears has more talent that the Beatles, others think G.I. Joe is a better film than Michael Mann's Public Enemies. Regardless, ridiculous, uninformed opinions stretch credulity, much like your assessment of this demo.

The fighting engine isn't robust at all, there's about three basic attack which vary very little from each other. The game's combat revolves around jamming the same button over and over again. I really doubt there's any good games where combat can be won by randomly spamming three buttons. I'm sorry that I didn't play the demo about 10 times like you to find those few extra takedowns :roll: . Have you ever even played MGS... walking completely standing up two inches from an enemy will get you caught as the AI is actually good, Batman AA is much like Sly with the fact that if your not directly in the enemy's field of vision or make a certain sound (i.e. the batarang), or running full speed you can't get caught. The stealth gameplay in Batman AA is not very in-depth, it's not exactly a bad thing at all as Batman AA is only partially a stealth game. I still fail to see what exactly there is to explore/experiment with in Batman AA's linear, uninteractive environment, besides a few takedowns. And no the stealth in this game is not exactly deep, but it's still not shallow. Also being able to be within two inches of an enemy and an enemy unable to detect foot steps is not a mainstay in the stealth genre.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Travo_basic
[QUOTE="Travo_basic"]Am I the only one who enjoyed playing Batman Begins. The gameplay was similar to this.viewtiful26
Batman Begins was more linear than this, I'd say. BTW how many unlockables are in the demo? I found a Riddler bio that was lying around but that was about it. All the other bios seemed to unlock automatically.

Very true. I think there may be some backtracking. Did anyone notice the room that you open with explosives of some kind? I really wanted in there.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#138 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
I played this demo at least 20 times this weekend. I freaking love it. A friend of mine pointed out that you can pause the game and hit 'retry from last checkpoint' right after you take down the last guy before the demo ends. Ever since I've been having a ton of fun just clearing that area out and restarting it.
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

I played this demo at least 20 times this weekend. I freaking love it. A friend of mine pointed out that you can pause the game and hit 'retry from last checkpoint' right after you take down the last guy before the demo ends. Ever since I've been having a ton of fun just clearing that area out and restarting it.rragnaar

Don't ruin it for yourself before the game comes out. :P

Being a huge fan of the stealth/action genre, I had to check it out. I was sold on the stealth gameplay. The only issue I had was the light/shadow effects. I never even saw any shadows to hide in. I mean it's Batman....Where are the shadows? :cry:

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#140 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]I played this demo at least 20 times this weekend. I freaking love it. A friend of mine pointed out that you can pause the game and hit 'retry from last checkpoint' right after you take down the last guy before the demo ends. Ever since I've been having a ton of fun just clearing that area out and restarting it.LikeHaterade

Being a huge fan of the stealth/action genre, I had to check it out. I was sold on the stealth gameplay. The only issue I had was the light/shadow effects. I never even saw any shadows to hide in. I mean it's Batman....Where are the shadows? :cry:

I've got a similar complaint. I want to be able to take out lights with my batarangs, but the lights don't break. Outside of that, I really dig the game.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Travo_basic
[QUOTE="rragnaar"][QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

I played this demo at least 20 times this weekend. I freaking love it. A friend of mine pointed out that you can pause the game and hit 'retry from last checkpoint' right after you take down the last guy before the demo ends. Ever since I've been having a ton of fun just clearing that area out and restarting it.rragnaar

I've got a similar complaint. I want to be able to take out lights with my batarangs, but the lights don't break. Outside of that, I really dig the game.

The only thing I could take out was a video camera and TV. Sounds like something you will have to do later in a stealth portion of the game.
BanjoMumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#142 BanjoMumbo
Member since 2009 • 512 Posts

I have to say I was a little disappointed, I thought from the start it was going to be more open-world and non-linaer. I really don't like how linear it is, it feels way too story driven and not enough flexibility.

I did like the combat system though, I also thought that the over-the-shoulder view was nice. The game's destructible environments was also a nice feature, I may rent it when it comes out in stores.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Grammaton-Cleric

The fighting engine isn't robust at all, there's about three basic attack which vary very little from each other. The game's combat revolves around jamming the same button over and over again. I really doubt there's any good games where combat can be won by randomly spamming three buttons. I'm sorry that I didn't play the demo about 10 times like you to find those few extra takedowns :roll: . Have you ever even played MGS... walking completely standing up two inches from an enemy will get you caught as the AI is actually good, Batman AA is much like Sly with the fact that if your not directly in the enemy's field of vision or make a certain sound (i.e. the batarang), or running full speed you can't get caught. The stealth gameplay in Batman AA is not very in-depth, it's not exactly a bad thing at all as Batman AA is only partially a stealth game. I still fail to see what exactly there is to explore/experiment with in Batman AA's linear, uninteractive environment, besides a few takedowns. And no the stealth in this game is not exactly deep, but it's still not shallow. Also being able to be within two inches of an enemy and an enemy unable to detect foot steps is not a mainstay in the stealth genre.

StealthMonkey4

The fighting engine is robust; you just apparently have no desire to learn it. The combat allows for the basic attacks, all of which offer many, many variations of kicks and punches and the ability to infinitely chain those techniques.It also allowscounter techniques, the cape stun attack, another takedown variation, and the ground finisher along with the ability to toss out the Batarang. That's plenty of optionsand certainly qualifies as robust, especially considering that combat is only one facet of the game play.

As to your smug little comment about not playing the demo enough to discover the various takedowns, that is a pretty important fact if you are going to come in here and make claims against the game. Once again, you've proven you really don't know what you are talking about and haven't bothered to actually play the demo beyond some knee jerk reaction, which isyour choice but understand when you come into a game forum claiming a game has flaws that it doesn't, you will be called on it because you are spreading false information for the sake of inflating your arguments.

The real question is, have you ever played a MGS game?You can sneak right up to an enemy from behind in all of the Metal Geargames. The whole "two inches" thing you keepreferring to is merely more of your pedantic, hyperbolic style. In games like MGS and Splinter Cell, you can get right up to the back of an enemy while sneaking but eventually they will see you, as they do inthe Batman demo. What's interesting about the Batman demo (and further evidence that you have done more talking than playing) is that the asylum thugs in the demo are actuallymuch more mobile and dynamic in their search and are prone to keep looking over their shoulder, scanning the entire area. By contrast, the enemies in the MGS and SC games usually follow a pretty rigid pattern, rarely checking their back unless prompted by noise. So again, you can claim the stealth is shallow but that doesn't mean you are right or even have the faintest clue what you are talking about, because you obviously don't.Also,you claim that in the Batman demo you only get caught if you fill the enemy's line of sight. You do realize that this is the casein ALL stealth games, right? If the enemy doesn't see you, how do they catch you? You are so quick to shoot of your keyboard and trash this game that your arguments are literally nonsensical.

Lastly, the exploration component I mentionis found in the sheer variety of options offered to you by the demo. If you want to take down all five thugs in the room without each knowing the others fate, you can. If you want to use the environment (which you laughably claim isn't interactive), you can. You can use the Batarangs to take down enemies from afar or stalk them silently close up. You can use your enemy's screams and noises to lure others to you or break up the group. You can even use the mounting fear as a weapon, allowing you to make enemies literally surrender in terror. That's variety and that's an incredible amount of things to do in a 15-minute demo.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Grammaton-Cleric

I have to say I was a little disappointed, I thought from the start it was going to be more open-world and non-linaer. I really don't like how linear it is, it feels way too story driven and not enough flexibility.

BanjoMumbo

What you are seeing is what the developers advertised from day one. The thing is, open-world game play doesn't necessarily translate into a superior game experience. This demo is focused, incredibly polished, and features considerable variety despite being linear. I love sandbox games but frankly, I'm glad this title is more centered because it is incredibly easy to lose focus when making a large, open-world game.

Also, as I understand it, you get free reign to explore Arkham in the full game, which is huge.

Mash_Affect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Mash_Affect
Member since 2008 • 631 Posts

I did like the combat system though, I also thought that the over-the-shoulder view was nice. The game's destructible environments was also a nice feature, I may rent it when it comes out in stores.

BanjoMumbo

Keep in mind that you have essentially only played the tutorial. I agree it would be neat if the rest of the game had certain optional side missions in which you can speak to the various guards and choose to accept missions that involve saving various innocents that have been captured or tortured by the inmates. However, I wouldn't be at all disappointed if the rest of the game is as focused as the demo. A very big part of the reason I want to play the full game is to see how the story pans out.

Avian005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#146 Avian005
Member since 2009 • 4112 Posts

I found it quite good. The gameplay is great, I especially like detective mode. The graphics are really good, and it look like a real life comic book. The voice acting is great; I loved "Batman: The Animated Series", and hearing the voices brings the memories back. The only negative thing I can say about the demo was the enemy AI, but mabyes they're not susposed to be smart, since they're in an asylum after all.

The game feels like it can achieve AAA status, and I hope my wish comes true.