Batman: Arkham Asylum Demo is out now on XBL/PSN! Post Your Impressions!

• 146 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 martialbullet
Member since 2006 • 10948 Posts

Well Gametrailers just released a new trailer for Batman Arkham Asylum with the announcement of a demo!

This Friday, you'll be able to download the campaign demo! The demo starts you right at the beginning of the full game taking The Joker to Arkham Asylum and giving you a glimpse of things to come. Try out free-flow combat and stealth, plus unlock some character bios to see a bit of how the game works.

If you can't wait, then here's a video of the first 10 minutes of the game: SPOILERS! Don't watch if you don't want anything spoiled!

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
I've been itching for this one for a while now. It will be so nice to finally play some of it.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

The gametrailers guys didnt have too many positive things to say about the combat. Let's see.

Mash_Affect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Mash_Affect
Member since 2008 • 631 Posts

The gametrailers guys didnt have too many positive things to say about the combat. Let's see.

S0lidSnake

Well I imagine if you play the game correctly, you wouldn't have to engage in combat very often.

I've played the demo at a store kiosk, which was exclusively combat, and it seemed fine. More fun than the combat in most games actually.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Oh dear, I can't wait to try this demo out! :D

It's the part I want to see the most, too. Hopefully arriving at Arkham Asylum for the first time will be almost as awesome as arriving at Rapture for the first time.

D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

Great to hear, considering that I've preordered the $100 Collectors Edition I've been sort of skeptical. This demo would either make me keep my preorder or save a Benjamin.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I haven't been real impressed by what I've seen, but I'm a big Batman fan, and I want this to be good, so I'm going to give the demo a shot.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 33502 Posts

Cool. I'm more a Marvel fan myself but Batman is probably my most favourite in the DC stable and from what I've seen the game looks quite good so I'll definitely give the demo a go or two to check it out.

Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
I think the negativity is a case of releasing a poor representation of what your game is via a demo. From my understanding Batman AA is a sort of stealthy brawler with gadgets, stealthy takedowns and exploration being the key features, the demo was just the brawling mode with only combat, thus giving people the wrong expectations for the game. I hope the demo gives us a better idea of what the game is and isn't just the brawler mode.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BioShockOwnz

I think the negativity is a case of releasing a poor representation of what your game is via a demo. From my understanding Batman AA is a sort of stealthy brawler with gadgets, stealthy takedowns and exploration being the key features, the demo was just the brawling mode with only combat, thus giving people the wrong expectations for the game. I hope the demo gives us a better idea of what the game is and isn't just the brawler mode.Im_single

It's not. It's the beginning of the game when you first get to Arkham Asylum with Joker.

unplaystation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#12 unplaystation
Member since 2008 • 461 Posts

Goto my blog, some brand new gameplay gootage has just been released, it's looking good.

Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts
Can't wait to give it a try.
Lego_Vader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lego_Vader
Member since 2009 • 111 Posts
I haven't been affected by the hype. I'll just wait for the demo before I get excited for it.
atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 atm0073
Member since 2005 • 3069 Posts
Looking forward to playing it.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Im really hoping this turns out to be this generations butcher bay. Everything is pointing to yes, it has my money regardless so hopefully it turns out great.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Oh man... Even if the game part is junk, I expect the story to be really fun. I love me mhy Batman!

Foolio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 Foolio1
Member since 2003 • 7467 Posts

I'm looking forward to a demo of the campaign. The challenge room demo I played at work was kinda neat, but not indicative of how the final game will really work.

ATKisNeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ATKisNeat
Member since 2007 • 380 Posts
Would you guys get it for the ps3 or xbox given the choice?
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
Do want. Too bad I work friday night, though. Sucks to be me.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rragnaar
GAF is saying that this demo isn't the demo that most folks have played and is from the single player campaign.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

GAF is saying that this demo isn't the demo that most folks have played and is from the single player campaign.rragnaar

I wonder if Friday translates into 'Thursday of next week' for PSN?

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rragnaar

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]GAF is saying that this demo isn't the demo that most folks have played and is from the single player campaign.CarnageHeart

I wonder if Friday translates into 'Thursday of next week' for PSN?

I doubt it very much. I think they are just making the PSN person come in to work twice in one week.:shock:
martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 martialbullet

GAF is saying that this demo isn't the demo that most folks have played and is from the single player campaign.rragnaar
Yup, I updated it :D

Kotaku said it will be the beginning of the single player campaign, so I'll just have to take their word for it :lol:

EDIT: Well, I looked at the official website anyways... Yup, Single player.

shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts

I played this demo during Xbox Fun Day 2k9. IMO the whole idea of free flow combat is overhyped and boring, on the other hand the predator mode rocks. Level of enemie's AI was mind blowing.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

I played this demo during Xbox Fun Day 2k9. IMO the whole idea of free flow combat is overhyped and boring, on the other hand the predator mode rocks. Level of enemie's AI was mind blowing.

shinian

I thought the combat was exceptional and it certainly captures the way Batman fights in the comics. Being able to chain attacks into one smooth series ofmovements while taking down a room full of thugs is pretty satisfying. If the rest of the game plays as well as the combat demo, Arkham Asylum should be one of the better games this year.

Exeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Exeron
Member since 2008 • 204 Posts

My first impression was that it seemed very monotonous, it taking place in the same kind of setting throughout the entire game (most likeley). After seeing some of the later gameplay videos, my interest kind of increased... this might be something after all.

princesszelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#28 princesszelda
Member since 2003 • 6869 Posts

Once I get home from work on Friday I'm going to turn on the 360 and download this demo. I didn't watch the footage from GT just because I want to be surprised when I play it for the first time. Hopefully it will be as good as I've been expecting

POLVERINE-R2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 POLVERINE-R2
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Wow!! I need play this game now!!
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rragnaar

Here are some new gameplay vids from GAF:

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIQw5o5QAVg

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myOZfad0n5s

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BioShockOwnz

Here are some new gameplay vids from GAF:

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIQw5o5QAVg

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myOZfad0n5s

rragnaar

Holy hell, that game looks stellar. They really nailed the atmosphere.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

Would you guys get it for the ps3 or xbox given the choice?ATKisNeat
Playstation 3 considering the Joker Content is only for the PS3.

Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
It's looking fantastic, can't wait.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

[QUOTE="ATKisNeat"]Would you guys get it for the ps3 or xbox given the choice?DarkGamer007

Somehow, I think that is sorta like how Darth Vader was only on the PS3 in Soul Calibur 4. Either way, it is dumb to work on content and then lock it out to some of the people who buy it. Do they think their game is so awesome that they will just cut that stuff out from the 360 version?

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

[QUOTE="ATKisNeat"]Would you guys get it for the ps3 or xbox given the choice?DarkGamer007

That is what I am doing. SE for the PS3 at Gamestop, so I can get the extra challenge map too. I would rather get it on the 360 because I like the controller more and for party chat.
Mash_Affect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mash_Affect
Member since 2008 • 631 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]

[QUOTE="ATKisNeat"]Would you guys get it for the ps3 or xbox given the choice?Legolas_Katarn

That is what I am doing. SE for the PS3 at Gamestop, so I can get the extra challenge map too. I would rather get it on the 360 because I like the controller more and for party chat.

Reason number 3 for you has to be the achievements. Your gamerscore is blowing my mind right now.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rragnaar

The Arkham Asylum demo is up in Europe right now on the PSN store. I'll be at work for 9 brutal hours, but I'll be sure to download it and post impressions. You know what to do, create a European PSN account and get to downloading. Nao!

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts

The Arkham Asylum demo is up in Europe right now on the PSN store. I'll be at work for 9 brutal hours, but I'll be sure to download it and post impressions. You know what to do, create a European PSN account and get to downloading. Nao!

rragnaar

No.

[spoiler] Yes sir... [/spoiler]

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rragnaar

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

F1Lengend

Yes sir...

You're damned right you'll download it.:evil: You'll post impressions too!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Archangel3371  Online

[QUOTE="F1Lengend"]

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

rragnaar

Yes sir...

You're damned right you'll download it.:evil: You'll post impressions too!

Well I for one will refuse to bow to your tyranny and will wait until tomorrow to download it like all the good little boys and girls should. :P

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 rragnaar

Well I for one will refuse to bow to your tyranny and will wait until tomorrow to download it like all the good little boys and girls should. :P

Archangel3371

If you had the ability to create a Euro PSN account, you would have no choice but to obey or face my wrath.

ATKisNeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ATKisNeat
Member since 2007 • 380 Posts
Yeah i want the PS3 version but the X360 party chat and controller is just really hard to turn down =(
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Archangel3371  Online

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]

rragnaar

If you had the ability to create a Euro PSN account, you would have no choice but to obey or face my wrath.

Hmm perhaps things would be different had I a PS3. :P

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 F1Lengend

So I played it.

It starts off in the beginning like everyone has been saying. I wonder if some of the cut-scenes were taken out for time saving reasons because it seems like there isn't a proper intro to the game, who knows.

Im guessing most of you guys know the gist of this game so I wont go into too much detail. The demo pretty much introduces you to each fundamental aspect of the gameplay. There's the hand to hand combat, the stealth gameplay and the gadgets. Hand to hand combat is pretty basic, press square to attack, a few times in a row will do a combo where it goes in slow mo and knocks the guy down. I can see that kinda getting old but its pretty standard stuff. Once hes down you can finish him off with R2 and Triangle. Theres also countering with Triangle. Once the enemy is about to attack he will have something above his head pop up, and you simply press triangle to counter it. I wish it was harder to counter, its very forgiving with no real consequence for mashing triangle. Anyway, im sure they are suppose to be easy, you are the goddamn batman after all.

Theres also a night vision type thing where you can see enemies through walls, if they are armed or not, peoples heart beat and their emotional state (im sure that will come into play throughout the game) and key points of interest: Things like vents that can be opened and points where you can grapple (gargoyles). The game seems really easy because it points out everything, you never have to figure out where you have to go cause of this gadget. Gargoyles are these statues you climb (seems like the only thing you can grapple on) where you can hunt the enemies from above and swing from statue to statue. Its really easy, you just have to have the camera in the vicinity of the statue and press R1 (it will even tell you to press R1) and off you go. From here you can hang inverted from it, which I havent seen the use of yet but it looks cool. If there is an enemy under the statue, you press Triangle to pick him up, and drop him from the top of the statue and he hangs from a rope. Again, it will notify you to press Triangle so timing isnt really important. If the enemy is further away but relatively straight to your position, you can press square to glide and kick him which takes him out. I would have really preferred it if you had to do it manually. You can glide off statues but I dont think you can attack while in mid air? If would be a lot more satisfying instead of just tapping a button. I did manage to jump off a statue and land on a guy with X though. Guards will patrol the area so you have to be careful they dont find the dead bodies or they will come after you like when you are alerted in MGS. It wont take much to take the batman down with guns either. If you are alerted you just grapple to a statue, than hop to a few more and they will lose you. Its pretty fun stalking people from atop though, you have to scope out the area and plan your moves, you feel pretty bad ass. You can also aim and throw those things (sorry dont know too much about batman lol). I never tried throwing it at someone though.

As far as graphics go, they are pretty great! Some aliasing here and there but generally its really cohesive and gritty. Batmans model looks really nice and the cape moves fluidly. Sound is average I guess, decent music adds to the atmosphere.

The demo ends right at a boss, what a tease. Im sure theres more they left out, I think there was 3 buttons I never pressed once, excluding the dpad. It seems like a solid game though, hopefully they keep it interesting throughtout with well thought out boss fights, set pieces and missions and varied environments (relatively, I know its a prison and all). Oh, I also love the way it the screen has a comic book affect when you pause it, nice little touches like that really add to a game like this. I think anyone wanting a good batman game will be pleased.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 F1Lengend
Apparently there are a lot of things you can do in the game that I didn't really know about. Like cutting the rope that enemies hang by and insta kills from a cover system. Im gonna go play again, I missed some glass room in the demo and I want to see what else I can do.
martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 martialbullet

Speaking of BAA, off the topic about the demo, I really hate the exclusive store offers they have for game content :x

First it was Scarecrow "Dem Bones" challenge map when you pre-Order at Gamestop, now Wal-Mart has one where you can get an armored Batsuit! WTF!!!!

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#48 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
[QUOTE="Mash_Affect"]

[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"][QUOTE="DarkGamer007"] Playstation 3 considering the Joker Content is only for the PS3.

Reason number 3 for you has to be the achievements. Your gamerscore is blowing my mind right now.

I should probably work on my trophies.

First it was Scarecrow "Dem Bones" challenge map when you pre-Order at Gamestop, now Wal-Mart has one where you can get an armored Batsuit! WTF!!!!

I heard that the armored batsuit is already in the game. Walmart is just doing what they sometimes do, offering a code to get something already in the game faster. Most likely that code will be made available online while the Gamestop one will be unique and take you to an online download.
martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 martialbullet
[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"] I heard that the armored batsuit is already in the game. Walmart is just doing what they sometimes do, offering a code to get something already in the game faster. Most likely that code will be made available online while the Gamestop one will be unique and take you to an online download.

Yeah, I've been researching it :P I really don't even see the reason for making that :? It's so........useless.