vincitytaymodaimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 vincitytaymodaimo
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

I was kinda bummed last week when I heard about Sony's plans for the PS3 and the removal of its emotion chip (the one that allows it to run older gen PS games) in Europe, which is probably soon to follow here in the states. "That blows," I said to myself, "Screw Sony and their evil corporate, penny-pinching masters."

Then I thought about all the old PS1 games that I currently play on my PS2 and that I have enjoyed over the years; their total number being exactly 1--Parasite Eve--which totally rocks. And which I played for about 2 hours before going out, buying FFX and stuffing all those old dear PS1 titles into a box somewhere that has yet to see the light of day since. So when I stop to think about it, I guess backwards compatibility doesn't really mean a damn thing to me. Much like an all-girl mud wrestling tournament, I think the whole BC issue is, in the end, nowhere near as cool an idea as it sounded before you sobered up.

Remakes, on the other hand, are the coolest thing since sliced bread--even back in the day when everything was so lame that people were actually impressed by crap like sliced bread.

Though I know they must be some truly awful rehashes of beloved videogames out there somewhere, I have yet to be let down by a remake. MGS: The Twin Snakes, Resident Evil for Gamecube, Final Fantasy I, II, ad infinitum, etc., I love 'em all and--here's where the crowd gasps and turns on me--even more than the originals.

There, I said it. Deal with it.

Am I alone on this?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

I agree that it's mostly "the thought that counts" when it comes to backwards compatibility. In my experience, console gamers want it, but won't really use it all that much.

Then again, I game on PC, so what do I know; I play 10+ year old games constantly; having near-infinite backwards compatibility is so friggin' amazing, I really don't understand how it hasn't happened yet on console. THere are little to no variations across consoles in their respective gen, so it's not like it's hard to just make it able to read then play old optical discs.

No...backwards compatibility is nice. Really nice. Console developers need to work on that, and stop making it out like they're doing us a favor lol. This should be included as part of the package.

Remakes are fun for the people that didn't get to play the original, but that's about it.

I'd prefer to see more "re-envisionings", older games made modern, but with a different perspective, or plot, and so forth. Basically reboots, I guess.

NukleaWorfair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#3 NukleaWorfair
Member since 2009 • 475 Posts

I have a PS1, PS2, and about 40 games for them consoles. The only time I played them games on my PS3, was once at its launch, to see if they worked. If anything, I preferred the way they looked on the standard tv, rather than the HD tv.

With PS3 though, I have a backlog of games that I want to play. And there is not much difference between this gen and last gen like other generations. So I'd like to actually play many of my PS3 games on the PS4. Take the Last Of US, I got that on PS3, but it was totally unplayable since it pushed that console to it's limits and freezes my launch console after an hour of play.

Backwards compatibility is now more relevant than ever, especially in the coming years were the graphics are so good anyway. Whereas there are some PS1 and PS2 games that have aged horribly.

Then again, I game on PC, so what do I know; I play 10+ year old games constantly; having near-infinite backwards compatibility is so friggin' amazing

I bought a few old games for my Windows 10 PC from the charity shop. It wasn't amazing when I found out that Windows 10 doesn't let you install older games. And that you have to do the usual work arounds to get PC games to work, and even then it might not work. But I suppose it's better than nothing.