Aren't all RPGs "linear"?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for KhanBloodsucker
KhanBloodsucker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 KhanBloodsucker
Member since 2009 • 220 Posts

I always found this "demerit" strange.

You always have to do A,B, and C in the main storyline to get to D in an RPG. I feel that when people say as RPG "isn't linear", they're really trying to say, "It has a lot of sidequests and diversions to make clearing the game easier". That's all well and good, but you still need to follow that corridor of doom to complete the story after all that is done."

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

True, but some are the equivalent of rail shooters where all you can do is go forward.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#3 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

You always have to do A,B, and C in the main storyline to get to D in an RPG. I feel that when people say as RPG "isn't linear", they're really trying to say, "It has a lot of sidequests and diversions to make clearing the game easier". That's all well and good, but you still need to follow that corridor of doom to complete the story after all that is done."

KhanBloodsucker

Not necessarelly. From point A, you can do point B or point C, which in return will allow you to achieve point D or point X, respectivelly. Bethesda's and Obsidian's RPG games are non-linear RPGs. And the above "pattern" is true for the main quests not the side quests.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

The main story is linear.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

All games, are linear it's just how it's presented is the problem. In most RPGs you don't have to move forword to grow your characters.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#6 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

wiouds

How could you say that though? Try Fallout New Vegas's main story or Alpha Protocol's main story. So many different endings, paths to take, options....

Avatar image for KhanBloodsucker
KhanBloodsucker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KhanBloodsucker
Member since 2009 • 220 Posts

wiouds
My point exactly. People are mistaking diversions for non-linearity.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
Dungeon Siege 3 is an example of a linear RPG - the levels are narrow and the next quest marker is constantly leading you forward in pretty much the only direction you can take. Compare that to Oblivion / Fallout where there might be a similar goal or place to get to, but you have so much more choice how you get there and what you do along the way. You can go where you want, when you want. Don't want to do the next quest on the list? You don't have to - wander off and find something else to do. You have the choice, and that is something missing from linear "on-rails" games
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
A non-linear game would offer choices A, B, C and D. Picking A would lead you to choices E1, F1, G1 and H1. Choosing E1 would lead you to endings I1, J1, K1 and L1. Picking first choice D would give E4, F4, G4 and H4, and picking G4 would give endings I3, J3, K3 and L3. All the combinations would be different, which would make it "non-linear." Sure, you are taking a linear path from one point to the next, but the ability to choose what happens next is what is "non-linear."
loveless9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 loveless9
Member since 2011 • 167 Posts

Most games are linear, what's your point? RPGs are the least linear out of most of the genres out there, for the most part. People only complain about "linearity" when it's just so overwhelming apparent in an RPG. Past RPG franchises set a certain standard with their games and when those same developers axe something like exploration or side-quests or towns (if we're talking about FFXIII) then the fanbase gets upset, rightly so. Maybe diversity is the correct word, though.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wiouds

Do you think any of the side story as being part of the "non-linear"? I do not think of any thing side as making the game "non-linear".

loveless9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 loveless9
Member since 2011 • 167 Posts

Do you think any of the side story as being part of the "non-linear"? I do not think of any thing side as making the game "non-linear".

wiouds

I think side-quests make an RPG feel less linear, but if you want to be technical: the game design is still linear, but who cares about that? A to B and all that, but that's really not the point.

Lord_ZZZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lord_ZZZ
Member since 2005 • 897 Posts

The problem is people use the word linear for different reasons. I mean I've always used it to describe a game where you don't have choice in the story. So to me the majority of JRPGs are linear. But people seem to be using it to describe gameplay now as well, even though gameplay can't really be linear or else it would be a movie, but what ever.

Bethesda games are generally the most open, but even some of their games are linear to an extent, like the main story of Oblivion was pretty damn linear, and short. However you could do other quests while doing it.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wiouds

I do not really think of any game as "non-linear".

There the linear story where main even happen in a preset order.
There is the disjointed where the main can split into some section that the player need to continue. Some may branches may not be allow if the player pick another branch.
Side mission are not part of this.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
All stories are linear. They have a beginning, a middle, and an end, and then progress steadily in that order. However, the lines in a good story split, twist, and change depending on choices you made earlier in the game. The story of Planescape: Torment, practically any Fallout game, or Alpha Protocol, are good examples of stories with multiple paths to take, and different endings that you can get depending on whether you took the left or the right path when given a choice earlier. By going left, you eliminate all future choices you would have had if you had gone right, of course. But you'll never find a story that is not "linear" in the sense that you will never find a story that doesn't start and the beginning and ends at the end. However, there is Final Fantasy linear, and then there is Fallout 1 linear, and the latter is what I think most gamers think of when they are talking abut "non-linear" games.
KeredsBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KeredsBlaze
Member since 2010 • 2049 Posts
they are all linear, it just depends how linear it is
mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

RPGs in video games are linear, for the most part. Few games actually implement the use of branching storylines, but this isn't to say all of them are linear. Though you're most likely to pick an RPG and get a linear one.

Linearity isn't a bad thing, though. Matter of taste: some people like to have an active part in the story being told, while others are more passive. I myself am a more passive individual, I like the story to be told and not necessarily require my input to make it better or worse.

RPGs, notably the JRPG, is similar (read that twice, guys, SIMILAR) to reading a book. The only difference is you have to earn the right, so to speak, of proceeding to the next page.

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts
Play Tales of Vesperia. Now play Final Fantasy 13. What people mean by linear should be very clear after you play those two.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#19 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Not really. You can go where you want in alot of modern shooters, and many really open up after beating the game these days.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

All RPGs with plots are linear to some extenct. However some are less linear than others.

In regards to linearity, I put them in different groups.

Linear: A->B->C->D->E (Final Fantasy XIII)
Megaman Esque Linearity: Do A, B, C, D, ect in any order you like, then do X. (Bioware)
Branching Paths: Linear storyline, then the story branches, dephending on a choice you make, it may end up branching again. (Tactics Ogre, The Witcher)
Predefined goal with multiple solutions and paths: The game gives you a beginning and a final goal how you get there is up to you (Fallout)
Set your own goal: You can have multiple entry points and the goal is set up by yourself and not the game, they usually dont have much of a story however. (Escape Velocity: Nova, Mount and Blade, Sid Meier's Pirates, Space Rangers 2)

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#21 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Some really odd definitions of linear here. Excluding core portions of a game in order to fit them into a particular mold? Odd. This isn't something complicated. Linear means you play a game in a preset order, with little to no deviations from it. Can you do pieces of the story out of order? Can you ignore them entirely? That's non-linear. Recent Bethesda games are non-linear even if the main story follows a more linear path - you can explore the entire world and take part in quests without ever once touching the story, or advancing it at your own pace. How is that linear? New Vegas even takes this to extremes by completely breaking up the main storyline at various points. It reeks more of an attempt to downplay WRPGs somehow, which is odd.
KnightSkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KnightSkull
Member since 2011 • 1481 Posts

Story wise games are linear, there is a story to be told and throughout the game it gets told no matter what choisies are made, even if there are multiple choisies or endings there is still a linear story.

Gameplay wise FFXIII is a very linear game because you go from point A to B to C etc without being able to wonder off and do anything else and you are forced to go that path. This only changes slightly once you get down onto the planet, then the game becomes slightly less linear as you can decide if you just want to go on with the story or if you want to wonder round finding all the things you can and doing the side quests.

Oblivion on the other hand is a very open game, yes there is a story that you need to do to complete the game and you can just do that if you wish which would make it very linear, but you don't need to follow the story straight away. Say your next destination is to the North, you can go that way and continue the story but there is nothing stoping you from going South and doing a whole lot of things that way before you move on. Then there is everything in the other directions that you can do. You can play the game for hundreds of hours without continuing the story and not got bored as there are towns and caves that you wouldn't come across if you just followed the story.

So story wise all games are linear but that doesn't make all games linear.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
Considering Table top is the version that rpg's on computers was born from... Yes. Even table top games had a story where you start out in a certain location and you have a goal. That goal can be to find the golden fish or flower power. Save the world... Kill the evil wizard, eat the cake in the room of doom. However what they all have in common is that they allow the players the choice on how to get there. You need to enter a town... Do you sneak in, Bribe your way in, climb the walls, teleport, attack the guards, hide under a cart. The goal is however always the same. Or in theory you could "end" the world at the end.
rewind83709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 rewind83709
Member since 2010 • 56 Posts

When people talk about linear, I think that means that you have no choice but to just go forward. You can't explore, or do anything different. You have no freedome. And in an RPG, that is a very stupid thing to do. Especially now a days.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wiouds

When people talk about linear, I think that means that you have no choice but to just go forward. You can't explore, or do anything different. You have no freedome. And in an RPG, that is a very stupid thing to do. Especially now a days.

rewind83709

It is funny because I think of the story as being linear. No matter how much exploring if the main story is linear then I call the game linear.

The amount of choices are not related to if the game is linear or nonlinear, You can still have many choices even if the game is linear and other games you can have game that is nonlinear and still havw few choices.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#27 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

No.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#28 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Linear in that they all have a beginning and an end? Yes. Linear in that they offer little to no freedom? No, not always. Typically they grant the player the choice to diverge from the storyline and partake in side-activities or quests, which makes it non-linear in a lot of respects as you aren't just progressing the story. It's only when a game gives a straight path forward that cannot be strayed from that it is considered linear and therefore a negative, in role-playing games especially.

ModeDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 ModeDude
Member since 2009 • 1135 Posts
The majority of rpgs have a linear PLOT in which everything story-wise moves forward from beginning to end. But in terms of gameplay, they're non-linear. Oddly enough, the plot of Final Fantasy XIII is a little bit Non-Linear, with the flashbacks and all.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

ofc stories are linear, you want a big mess of a story? i like a linear progression instead a bunch of side stories like mass effect

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

You can't really fit them in the same boat like that. Final Fantasy VII, with its air ship and special chocobos, had a lot more to do and secret places to find. With this setup, exploration was rewarded. Now take Final Fantasy XIII, where you essentially run down a giant hall, kill stuff and watch cutscenes. Lumping them together is like comparing a stream to a lake because they both have water.

RECON64bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RECON64bit
Member since 2008 • 640 Posts

ofc stories are linear, you want a big mess of a story? i like a linear progression instead a bunch of side stories like mass effect

Krelian-co

ME is a mess of story? The decisions you make in ME is what gives the series replayability. Unlike FF games. No offense don't want to start flame war.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 wiouds

If there a huge area with lots to do then I say it is an open world, or a progressively opening world. There is where having lost of side quest and such goes.

It is why I say a linear game is when the key event happen one after another.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 wiouds

[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

RECON64bit

ME is a mess of story? The decisions you make in ME is what gives the series replayability. Unlike FF games. No offense don't want to start flame war.

I have replay JRPG more often than WRPG since the combat is more fun.

Back to the topic. ME's disjointed plot set up also hurt it since the main plot pause for smaller plot to kick in. There is a trade off for each type you pick.

A linear allow for a more complex main plot.
While a branching Linear has it where there are a few way for the plot to happen but since there are many smaller plots that take resources from the larger ones.
disjointed linear has main plot pause for smaller plot to kick in. Some time the smaller plots does not link well to the main plot.

greendayR0cks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 greendayR0cks
Member since 2010 • 238 Posts

[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

RECON64bit

I love both game series, but..... Final Fantasy series>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mass Effect series.
Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#36 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

All of them are linear to a point but the ones that are frustratingly linear with narrow corridors or pathways you're forced to follow are truly linear.

Examples, Mass Effect 1/2, Dragon Age 1/2 vastly overrated action games. 10 years ago they'd be considered good platformers.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#37 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="RECON64bit"]

[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

greendayR0cks

I love both game series, but..... Final Fantasy series>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mass Effect series.

In your opinion? Perhaps. But that argument will continue to be debated, no matter where.

That being said, I think that all RPGs, in some fashion, are linear. Sure, there are multiple endings and such, at least in those games, but some of the older titles, like Final Fantasy IV, had you go from point A to point B, although the game would be longer if you took the time to find everything. It's why I play RPGs that interest me longer than my original playthrough, because I want to find as much as possible before completing it.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

KhanBloodsucker

All games, whether RPGs or shooters or combinations of the two, are pretty much linear to some extent, but some have more depth than others. Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas both have game ending quests, but there are multiple paths to getting there, and some choices preclude others. Those games probably have more branches, thus more depth than most. Other games such as GTA IV and RDR have inevitable finales that you meander into depending oh how you play out the preceding missions, and there is an alternate ending in GTA IV depending on the choices you made earlier in the game. The worst one for linearity, IMHO, is L.A. Noire. Ultimately, nothing you do has any effect on the progression of its story or the final outcome.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#39 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

By linear, FFXIII for instance was linear to the truest extent for the first 10 chapters because you literally walked from pretty much left to right or one side of the screen to traverse the game. There was almost nothing to explore at that point. No towns to go buy new gear (you did that from a save station), no side quests, no going out of the way for anything.

The same thing can be said about most other RPGs, but its the "freedom" of a town in some or going back and forth that gives a sense of nonlinearity. But yes, in reality, you go to town A, finish Dungeon1, move to town B, finish dungeon 2, maybe go back to Town A since the path opened then move to town C.

While Oblivion may be more open world since you can travel everywhere you want, you have to complete a storyline or guild in a proper order giving it some sense of linearity.

Shooters are linear, platformers are VERY linear (Start here, end here... even if it is in 3D).

So yes, in fact most things are "linear", it's a colloquialism of the word that makes people think there is literally no other path you can take that brings the word out in a negative context.