Are you excited for Tekken 7...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

Or not?

I used to love fighting games as a kid and in my late teens but I have not bought one in a long, long time. Since Tekken is my favourite series, I was really looking forward to it and then it hit me...in the modern environment of DLC everything, microtransactions all round, Tekken 7 will not be the game it should be.

Following the recent news, I think I am correct. The main game will only release with 2 modes I think, online and arcade/story (obviously local mp too) with the usual side scrolling mode/adventture mode that they normally have being DLC and with the fact that simply unlocking characters is a lost art, the roster will be beefed up with DLC characters.

Not good, not at all. I grew up playing fighting games and unlocking characters through achievements and various objectives, not through money. I grew up with a Tekken franchise with an arcade mode and a beefed out adventure mode, not to mention simple mp.

With the recent disaster of SF V still fresh in the mind and the dlc/microtransaction heavy KI still around, I feel the beat 'em genre is coming to an end in terms of what we used to know.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

no, because I only play single player games and only Mortal Kombat and maybe Injustice fits that bill as far as I'm aware of.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

I'm definitely looking forward to Tekken 7 myself, always enjoyed the franchise.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Wait, the game only launches with an arcade and online mode? Are you sure? They are pushing the story aspect of the game a lot on social media and in trailers.

EDIT: Turns out TC was completly wrong

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

Tekken 7- Fated Retribution is going to be the best Tekken game ever made, i can't wait! :D

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Nope.

And I've mentioned too commonly why. Tekken 7 is a heaping pile of gimmicks ontop of what was already a refined Fighting system.

Tekken is one of my favorite gaming series of all time and spent a lot of my childhood to adulthood in the Arcades and Online play. Tekken 7 back-slaps a lot of what made the series interesting and unique.

Wake me when TTT2 gets a Remaster_

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

@soul_starter: Yes.I have already pre purchased this game on PC.

@soul_starter said:

Following the recent news, I think I am correct. The main game will only release with 2 modes I think, online and arcade/story (obviously local mp too) with the usual side scrolling mode/adventure mode that they normally have being DLC and with the fact that simply unlocking characters is a lost art, the roster will be beefed up with DLC characters.

they also have a new Ghost Mode too.(treasure Battle) why you consider arcade and story mode as same ? I think that every character has an ending in the Arcade mode too.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#8 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

If it's a good port on PC, I'll buy instantly - as my way of saying to Namco: "I will buy your blimmin' fighting games, now can you please announce Soul Calibur 6 for PC?"

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Yes, I played a lot of Tekken back on the ps1 and 2, skipped 6 but I did play Tekken Revolution (?) a lot online and got decently good. Tekken 7 is looking great from what I've seen.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

I'm not really excited. I still have Tekken Tag Tournament 2 which has double amount of the characters in 7.

But if I'll see reviwes that say it is really good (from people I trust, like ACG. not Gamespot and IGN), so I'll research more about it and then, maybe.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ojmstr

@yammireckorrdsan: As much as i trust ACG when it comes to reviews i only trust Harada himself when it comes to the Tekken series, this is a developer who has been working passionately on the tekken series for over two decades so i pretty much allready know what im gonna get.

Tekken 7 has been in "beta test" for 1.5 years at the arcades in Asia where it has been tweaked and balanced into perfection before it hits western mainstream market.

Don't know how much the story will impact the overall score but when it comes to the gameplay there is really nothing to compare it to other than the previous titles in the series which is from last generation

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

No. I thought Tekken 6 was horrible. They seem to alternate with quality with each main installment so hopefully this one pans out well.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 soul_starter

Ok, so game modes will be:

Story Mode

Arcade

Hopefully arcade means there will be local mp. The issue is, from what I've seen of Story Mode, what is there to differentiate it from the arcade mode? They hsould have made a mode iwth side scrolling/adventure elements which is what the yused to do, which kinda helps iwth the usual 1v1 tedium that sets in after a few hours.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Not really, I used to be a huuuuge Tekken fan back in the day. I really lost interest after Tekken 6, but I could see me getting it for dirt cheap in a flash sale though.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

I love Tekken and I don't really play too many fighting games. I've always been a fan and I can't wait for Tekken 7 tbh. They've never really disappointed me thus far

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

No I don't play fighting games.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Archangel3371

Only two days away now, can't wait. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#19 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Considering the last Tekken I played a lot of was Tekken 3, that I love the series and that I don't own consoles I'm really looking forward to a (non-sh*tty) PC release. That being said, I also do miss the "unlock by playing" rather than the "unlock by buying" method...sadly I don't think that'll ever come back...

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 soul_starter

@korvus: The unlock by playing method can come back if people stop paying silly money for DLC and extra characters and new game modes and stop buying these types of games in droves. Look at the debacle tha twas (and still is) Street fighter 5 yet the game is a massive commercial success. Make your wallet talk and don't let the people tha tshould be catering to the audience dictate to us.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 soul_starter

Also, since the GS review is absolute tripe, here, have al ook at this:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tekken-7-review

Just to summarise:

A nice roster of fighters (but I think a couple of other Tekkens have had larger rosters)

The game modes look really lackluster - story mode is short, barely 3 and a bit hours and as the reviewer says "just a collection of cut scenes with some enemy encounters thrown in", an arcde mode with just 6 fights and no ending cinematics and a Treasure mode which is basically an arcade mode which unlocks new costumes and such things.

That is really barebones compared to older Tekken games delivering more content. I guess it's more content than something like SF V or the initial release of Killer Instinct and sadly too many gamers are ok with that kinda rubbish. I might just end up buying Tekken 6, it seems a more well rounded, content full production.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#22 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@soul_starter: I fully agree with you and I used to think nobody would fall for it...and yet there's still people excited about more The Sims expansions! Let's break the game down into 20 pieces, charge the price of the full game for half of them to make people think they have a lot of content and then charge less for the other 10 for people to think it's cheap and buy it! And it works...

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ojmstr

@soul_starter said:

Also, since the GS review is absolute tripe, here, have al ook at this:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tekken-7-review

Just to summarise:

A nice roster of fighters (but I think a couple of other Tekkens have had larger rosters)

The game modes look really lackluster - story mode is short, barely 3 and a bit hours and as the reviewer says "just a collection of cut scenes with some enemy encounters thrown in", an arcde mode with just 6 fights and no ending cinematics and a Treasure mode which is basically an arcade mode which unlocks new costumes and such things.

That is really barebones compared to older Tekken games delivering more content. I guess it's more content than something like SF V or the initial release of Killer Instinct and sadly too many gamers are ok with that kinda rubbish. I might just end up buying Tekken 6, it seems a more well rounded, content full production.

Tekken 7 has 8.1 on metacritic right now, 8.1 is pretty good if you ask me

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/tekken-7

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 soul_starter

@korvus: hahahaha spot on! I've been saying what you have just said so often and yet I have people arguing with me...like how can a consumer be so blinded by marketing that they actually start believing being ripped off is good for them? Capitalism eh?

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 soul_starter

@ojmstr: That's fine but I am not bringing up the merit of review scores, that is an entirely separate discussion. I brought up the lack of content (which a number of reviewers have mentioned) and some points regarding DLC. That sours the experience for someone like me.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ojmstr

@soul_starter: I can see your point of view but i personally do not feel ripped off at all, there is no game that gives me so much bang for the buck than Tekken, this game i can easely sink in over 1000 hours for the next 4 years or so to the next Tekken comes out, this game is all about the gameplay for me, the funfactor and the competative aspect

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ArchoNils2

@soul_starter said:

@ojmstr: That's fine but I am not bringing up the merit of review scores, that is an entirely separate discussion. I brought up the lack of content (which a number of reviewers have mentioned) and some points regarding DLC. That sours the experience for someone like me.

What content is missing? It comes with a lot of fighters, a fun story mode, a lot of options to customize your characters, ... It's nowhere near as bad as SF5

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By soul_starter

@ArchoNils2: less fighters (pre dlc) than a couple of previous editions, a story mode which is a little over 3 hours (what's so good about that?), an arcade mode inferior to previous versions because it lacks the story elements of old AND has less fights than Tekken 3 from 3 generations earlier...so yes, a lack of content.

Of course it is nowhere near as bad as SF V but I never said it was.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@soul_starter: It doesn't only have a Story mode and an Arcade mode You know. it also has a new Ghost Battle mode(treasure Battles) that you can play to unlock Customization Items,Getting Fight Money and Ranking up your offline Rank. with the fight money you can Buy items that you like to equip on your main or buying Previous Tekken Games endings.(which are enjoyable to watch even for those who have played those games back in the day).

and you should know that the Story mode is Actually Enjoyable to play.you can replay it on hardest difficulty which unlocks after finishing it for the first time. Newbie Players can play it on easiest difficulty setting(which is more friendly than other Fighting games that it allows you to perform hard combos with a button) and after that play it on Harder difficulty which makes it different.

the only important thing that this game lacks is a Tutorial Mode.otherwise even if you not fight online you will find Tekken 7 with enough Content.

and you should also know that Tag 2 had more characters,because it had too much clone characters.(Forest,Unknown,Violet,Sabestian,michele,2 ogres and etc)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Archangel3371

Playing the game right now and it seems pretty fine for content to me. There's a decent amount of characters to choose from and story mode so far has been pretty enjoyable. Need to play more and try some of the other modes but so far so good.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ArchoNils2
@dorog1995 said:

@soul_starter: It doesn't only have a Story mode and an Arcade mode You know. it also has a new Ghost Battle mode(treasure Battles) that you can play to unlock Customization Items,Getting Fight Money and Ranking up your offline Rank. with the fight money you can Buy items that you like to equip on your main or buying Previous Tekken Games endings.(which are enjoyable to watch even for those who have played those games back in the day).

and you should know that the Story mode is Actually Enjoyable to play.you can replay it on hardest difficulty which unlocks after finishing it for the first time. Newbie Players can play it on easiest difficulty setting(which is more friendly than other Fighting games that it allows you to perform hard combos with a button) and after that play it on Harder difficulty which makes it different.

the only important thing that this game lacks is a Tutorial Mode.otherwise even if you not fight online you will find Tekken 7 with enough Content.

and you should also know that Tag 2 had more characters,because it had too much clone characters.(Forest,Unknown,Violet,Sabestian,michele,2 ogres and etc)

^ This. I would however argue that the story mode gives at least a small tutorial and there is training mode at least. There is even more than dorog listed like EVERY Tekken song ever nd a player to listen to them (btw the OST of this game is superb), every character has his own short story, a local vs mode and some VR modes I haven't tried. Really, soul starter, you should just stop. This is one of the best and most complete Fighters in a while.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Archangel3371

I think that it's really awesome that they included all the intro cinematics, character endings, and music from all the other Tekken games for you to watch and listen to at your leisure. Also the amount of customization that you can do to your characters with various types of gear and stuff is pretty impressive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@Archangel3371: yeah I Watched Tekken 3,Tag 1 and 4's openings and embus before i even Start to play Tekken 7.

@ArchoNils2:but sadly the PC edition doesn't have the soundtracks of previous Tekken Games.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Archangel3371

I must say that it was pretty awesome having Akuma in this game. I'm really hoping that Tekken X Street Fighter still makes its way out.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#35 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

I remember as a teen when Tekken and Virtua Fighter came out ... it was a big revolution in the fighting world but ... after Virtua Fighter 2 and Tekken 4 ... no thank you.

I prefer Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat.

I watched Dashie early access to Tekken 7 and it is more ridiculous than ever ... at first it was tame and realistic but now seriously.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#36  Edited By Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

Not really.

We play "Mortal Kombat," and "Killer Instinct" on our Xboxs.

On our PS4 Pro we enjoy "Injustice2." (probably our favorite as a social group)

As for a 3D fighter I am really looking forward to the next installment of "Soul Caliber" (also for PS4 Pro) if it ever comes. I always liked it more than "Tekken."

I watched some videos of this new "Tekken," and it seems really bland, and boring compared to what we already have. That, however, is just my opinion on what I have seen. For those that like "Tekken," I hope they enjoy it.

I would like to see a complete remake of a fighting game that was on the N64 called "Dark Rift." Now that with today's graphics would be awesome.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

If it's anything like Street fighter where the combos and even certain basic moves are near-impossible to pull off then I won't be getting it.

As for paying for new characters via dlc - that's pretty much expected these days. I either don't bother with it or wait for specials/complete editions, but it's not a "deal breaker" per se.

danielgozun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38 danielgozun
Member since 2017 • 12 Posts

When is the release date?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Archangel3371

@danielgozun: It came out last Friday, June 2nd.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ojmstr

The gameplay in Tekken 7 i would give 10/10 - Story 7/10

The game as a whole is not perfect but it's hell of alot of fun! :D Im loving it