Anyone here have a good way of quitting MMORPGs, CoD, Second Life? Stories?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

frakasattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 frakasattack
Member since 2011 • 142 Posts
I've tried this a few times on my realm forum and you can imagine how that went but I'm guessing that there are some people here have quit WoW after being addicted to it. I have tried several times. I've erased characters (only to get the mods to bring them back or started over) and even cancelled credit cards attached to accounts and still I'm playing about 3 dozen hours a week. My /played on my current main is 114 days and that is one that I started a little over a year ago. I've had many mains before that with higher /played. Do any of you have any good ways to quit or stories about quitting? Thanks!
Garamoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Garamoth
Member since 2011 • 250 Posts
You seriously never get bored?
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
You deleted characters, cancelled cards... did you uninstall the game as well? And you need to find something else to do. Sitting around bored with nothing to do but miss the object of your addiction is not going to help you quit. :)
Everiez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Everiez
Member since 2006 • 1946 Posts

I was an WOW addict. You'll get tired of them eventually and form this mindset: "All efforts, precious time and money I've spent will be gone when the server went offline for good. I wish I'd spent those time and money to do something better". Other alternative would be finding other hobbies you might like.

frakasattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 frakasattack
You deleted characters, cancelled cards... did you uninstall the game as well? And you need to find something else to do. Sitting around bored with nothing to do but miss the object of your addiction is not going to help you quit. :)ChiliDragon
Yeah, I've definitely uninstalled the game. I even trashed the CDs but you can just install it from the website! I think the hardest thing for me to find is another hobby. I've dedicated my last six years to this game. All of my friends are there. I feel important in the game as the class officer in my guild. I'm important there as sad as that sounds. Whenever I log in people say hi to me which is more than I would get without it. You're right I need to find a hobby but I just don't know what yet.
ModeDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 ModeDude
Member since 2009 • 1135 Posts
It's not about trying to destroy your account, it's about trying to find something better to do with your life.
Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

I've tried this a few times on my realm forum and you can imagine how that went but I'm guessing that there are some people here have quit WoW after being addicted to it. I have tried several times. I've erased characters (only to get the mods to bring them back or started over) and even cancelled credit cards attached to accounts and still I'm playing about 3 dozen hours a week. My /played on my current main is 114 days and that is one that I started a little over a year ago. I've had many mains before that with higher /played. Do any of you have any good ways to quit or stories about quitting? Thanks!frakasattack
Just do it what you were doing, and this time go through with it. Don't ask the mods to bring any characters back. in fact, I'd advise to destroy the credit cards linked with those accounts. (like actually turn them into your bank and have them shredded, or burn them yourself.)

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
delete your characters/items and uninstall the game. it'll be harder to get back into it that way.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
delete your characters/items and uninstall the game. it'll be harder to get back into it that way.starwarsjunky
if that doesn't work, have someone change your password (and not tell you what it is) so you can't get in even if you want to.
Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Drosa
Member since 2004 • 3136 Posts

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]You deleted characters, cancelled cards... did you uninstall the game as well? And you need to find something else to do. Sitting around bored with nothing to do but miss the object of your addiction is not going to help you quit. :)frakasattack
Yeah, I've definitely uninstalled the game. I even trashed the CDs but you can just install it from the website! I think the hardest thing for me to find is another hobby. I've dedicated my last six years to this game. All of my friends are there. I feel important in the game as the class officer in my guild. I'm important there as sad as that sounds. Whenever I log in people say hi to me which is more than I would get without it. You're right I need to find a hobby but I just don't know what yet.

Real friends and family come in handy when dealing with this kind of thing. Let them know what your are trying to do. They may be able to offer new hobby options you didn't think about.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Get a girl who hates games, problem over

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23914 Posts

Parental Controls.

Set it at 4 hours per day first, then after the first week, set it to 3, on the second week set it to 2. After that it should be a lot easier to quit. Rash or otherwise hasty methods wont work well, take your time to break out of the habit. It will be a lot easier then. I did this as well.

Monarch117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Monarch117
Member since 2006 • 276 Posts

I'd agree with the people who are surprised you don't get bored. When I've been into wow I've played the hell out of it for 1-3 months and I've done that like three times in the past couple of years...eventually I just get bored. For your £10 a month you can get a games rental account and have access to a brilliant array of games and...bonus: not have to kill those same ten pirates daily for the rest of your life :p

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I was never addicted and I don't know somebody who was, but I guess only other people could help you out and find a good reason for you to really want it

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts
MMO's work on well-known psychological principles designed to be addictive. In other words, people actually designed it that way, it's not an accident. The main component of this is similar to gambling addiction. When you attack you are using your stats and also a dice roll, this dice roll produces numbers above the target's head....hit for 200, 200, 1500 OMG! , this releases feel-good chemicals in the brain which is the physical component of MMO addiction. Other components are the social aspect, and escapism. Most people have "friends" in MMO's, but if you are not there raiding with them, will they remember you tommorrow? Come back to WoW in a year or two, see if any of your old buddies even remember you. They won't. They're not your friends. "Escaping" real life by living in a virtual world. Ask yourself, why do you feel the need to escape real life? Sure sometimes RL is a hassle, it's not easy, you have to do stuff you don't like, such as find a job, go to school, spend X hours a week in the office, deal with nagging wife or parents. But isn't this also why people do drugs or become alcoholics? To "escape." In reality you're not escaping anything, your body is still here in the real world, you are simply not facing your difficulties and hiding out in an MMO. But when the servers shut down for good, you will be right back here, your house is still the same, all the situations in your life are the same. There is no escape. Reality is there no matter what. 1. Go to Ironforge, near the lava in the middle 2. Destroy all your money and gear 3. Jump naked into lava 4. Log before you respawn 5. Delete char 6. Repeat with all your characters 7. Now logout, uninstall WoW and unsubscribe. Take the CD's and break them. All of them. Toss in trash and get them out of your sight. If you own a console, do all your gaming there, don't play anything on PC, uninstall games. Your PC is your office, for working on your life. Your console is for games and unwinding. YOU are your one and only character. Welcome back to the only MMO that won't be shut down in 5 years : real life.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#16 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I just quit, and did my best to not even think about the game. It was hard, I was in a fun guild with good people, and it wasn't their fault I was wasting so much time with the game (okay, partly it was). I purposely mucked up a RAID to get people annoyed at me, and that helped me stay away too.
Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
You seriously never get bored?Garamoth
This. I've played MMO's and by the time I reach the endgame content I get bored, uninstall, and move on with life.
GAMESHARQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GAMESHARQ
Member since 2008 • 5988 Posts
Get a gaming console.
ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

I just quit WoW a couple months ago. Something just hit me. I wasn't having fun AT ALL anymore. I just unsubbed, and I was finished. But generally, uninstall and obv cancel sub. If you really want to, get someone to change the password so you can't go in.

Narcadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Narcadox
Member since 2006 • 864 Posts
I just stop playing... I find if I have other things to do that I enjoy I forget fairly eaisily.
Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#22 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

1. Cancel your account and give away your characters.

2. Uninstall the game

3. Remove all bookmarks related to said game

4. Don't troll the pages and talk about your past accomplishments and things you done

5. Get another hobby

6. Regret all the time you wasted playing said game and how you failed all your courses at school and now work at McDonalds because of that game

frakasattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 frakasattack
You seriously never get bored?Garamoth
Bored of what? Talking to my friends, questing, and instancing? It's always fun!
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#24 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

I had to quit FFXI cold turkey because I was going back to school.

Plain and simple. It wasn't even a "good" game, but the grinding and loot gathering and making friends online was what kept me coming back. Face it, virtual dressup appeals to everyone. Glorified chatrooms if you want to call it that, but the game itself is the "topic of the chatroom" so there is common ground.

But no, I wish I had a sweet way to get people to quit addicting things.