Anyone enjoy playing multiplatform games on Switch?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

I've been getting some multiplatform games for the Switch, mostly remasters of older games, because I love the prospect of playing them in handheld mode. Examples include Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered, Burnout Paradise Remastered, Bioshock Collection, and recently, just ordered FF12. Sure, they don't still look the greatest on the Switch, but I love that convenience of portable mode.

How about you, GD? Do you enjoy playing multiplatform games on Switch?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#2 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

No.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Sure. Some. For me it depends on the tradeoffs.

Civ6 on Switch, DQXIS on Switch, Valkyria Chronicles, Indies, on Switch as examples. There's just not much tangible cost to playing these on the hardware while there are nice benefits around the portability and flexibility of the platform.

Other games, like Doom, however, are games that I see as technical curios - even impressive in their own way, but just no way I would actually CHOOSE that version of the game

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidGame_basic  Online

@xantufrog said:

Sure. Some. For me it depends on the tradeoffs.

Civ6 on Switch, DQXIS on Switch, Valkyria Chronicles, Indies, on Switch as examples. There's just not much tangible cost to playing these on the hardware while there are nice benefits around the portability and flexibility of the platform.

Other games, like Doom, however, are games that I see as technical curios - even impressive in their own way, but just no way I would actually CHOOSE that version of the game

I loved DQ 11S on Switch, jaggies and all lol. That game was great in handheld mode. Side note - it's crazy that they ported this version over to PS4/X1 without updating the assets!!

I agree with you on the Indies. Can't imagine playing Hades on another system and enjoying it as much. Have not played Civ 6, I wonder how that is. I did get a different2K game (XCOM 2) on Switch and it's ok.

Funny you mention DOOM, I ordered the 2016 one recently out of curiosity haha. Was able to get a discount from Gamestop, but it still hasn't shipped yet (been over a week!). Might end up getting canceled.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Oh yeah I definitely do. In the case of multi platform games and the Switch I’ll double dip on them. I’ll get two versions of the same game. For instance I have the Xbox One versions of Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 + 2, Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1 + 2, and Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection of which I also got the Switch versions as well. There’s some other games where I’d like to get the Switch version because I enjoy having the option to play them portably.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I thought about checking out Hades while I was away from my house over xmas. Didn't have the time tho.

That's about as far as I'd go. If it's a cross-platform game, with support for cross-save, and the Switch is capable of running it well - I might consider it.

idk.... Even Dead Cells had some trouble running on the Switch. So I really will avoid using it if at all possible.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#7 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

I have enjoyed playing Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy VIII & IX for the Switch the thought of playing the games on the go have been a great way to pass the time.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic: civ 6 is great - it's the full fledged experience (with some caveats regarding MP), visually quite good. The biggest issue is turn time bogs HARD with lots of teams and as the map opens up. The little CPU struggles to crunch all the numbers between each turn. But WITHIN the turn it runs fine

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Varies on the game, I don't mind playing games that run well on the Switch seeing as am more than not a handheld gamer. And always have been, shows with my history of Monster Hunter games.

Katamari, Prinny, Bayonetta, Mr Driller, CastleVania Collection all run well on the Switch. D00M (IV) however. . . nah. Also read Divinity: OS II is basically unplayable on Switch.

So it just depends on the quality of the port and how much is sacrificed with the hardware fighting an uphill battle.

It's why I'm both excited and cautious for Monster Hunter: Rise. I love MH on handhelds, but how well will it run is a whole other debate. What we have seen isn't very stable.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online

@benleslie5 said:

I have enjoyed playing Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy VIII & IX for the Switch the thought of playing the games on the go have been a great way to pass the time.

Yea, how can you not like this? I think even @ConanTheStoner can respect this.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SolidGame_basic  Online
@xantufrog said:

@SolidGame_basic: civ 6 is great - it's the full fledged experience (with some caveats regarding MP), visually quite good. The biggest issue is turn time bogs HARD with lots of teams and as the map opens up. The little CPU struggles to crunch all the numbers between each turn. But WITHIN the turn it runs fine

I can see that happening. I guess it depends how bad it is. I'm willing to be more forgiving unless its atrocious lol.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xantufrog  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic: it really doesn't affect gameplay, tbh. Just requires a growing level of patience between turns. I think it's a pretty good platform for Civ 6, all told

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SolidGame_basic  Online

@xantufrog said:

@SolidGame_basic: it really doesn't affect gameplay, tbh. Just requires a growing level of patience between turns. I think it's a pretty good platform for Civ 6, all told

Does it come with all content on the cartridge? Or at least, does it download when you put the cartridge in? My biggest pet peeve is when they give you a download code. That's the worst. Almost bought FFX HD on Switch until I found out that X-2 is a digital code. Eff that! My FF12 is cartridge! Let me guess, you got it digitally? lol.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xantufrog  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic: I have the base game on a cartridge, and it's all there as far as I'm aware - although it might require a few patches or something to download now. I don't know if there is an updated cartridge for sale now that includes the expansion packs that since released - I did buy those separately as DLC later when they released, and had to download them.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#15 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Of course.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SolidGame_basic  Online

@speeny: what games?!

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Speeny

@SolidGame_basic: Too many to name unfortunately and I can’t be bothered to list some.

I play pretty much exclusively on the Switch let’s put it that way. Sure, it’s less powerful in a lot of ways but the portability factor is everything to me. :)

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#19 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

Oh yeah... in fact, the majority of my most place Switch games are multiplat. Just last year alone:

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidGame_basic  Online

@speeny said:

@SolidGame_basic: Too many to name unfortunately and I can’t be bothered to list some.

I play pretty much exclusively on the Switch let’s put it that way. Sure, it’s less powerful in a lot of ways but the portability factor is everything to me. :)

Damn, you're like the Amish of the gaming community lol jk.

Cheddarchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 105

#21 Cheddarchet
Member since 2006 • 375 Posts

Quite a bit, yeah. I don't mind going to other platforms, but I often find myself riding the train, whether to work or to meet friends. Being able to play during that time is huge, so I'm pretty happy that I can play a lot of these games period.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Speeny

@SolidGame_basic: Lol. Jokes aside, you could put it that way!