Amazon selling brand new Dreamcast systems again

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts

That's right, being sold by Amazon itself, with all the benefits that come with not dealing with ordinary people. Brand new systems (ignore the stock picture, it isn't a new box and is not reflective of what they are selling) never opened or used for $88. I missed this last time Amazon was directly selling them, but this time I went ahead and ordered a DC, Jet Grind Radio, (also WAS being sold new directly from Amazon, I got one of the last copies) and Shenmue. I have an older DC unit that was lacking AV cables, and was slightly worn with some kids initials on the side, and I had a VMU already. So I'm good to go. Can't wait to look for sailors, buy that lameting Chinese fellow from the barber shop a drink, collect Sega toys from the junk machine, and feed and pet the cat.

Oh and I might fight people too, some. ;)

It all comes in on my day off Wednesday, so that's cool. I'm looking forward to tracking down games from my old DC collection, SF3, Capcom Versus SNK, Gundam Side Story, Evolution, and Skies' of Arcadia.

cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 cmpepper23
Member since 2005 • 3281 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. I will be getting this and Shenmue asap.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

I don't have any use for a Dreamcast, but I can appreciate a good retrofest as much as the next guy. Where are they getting these Dreamcasts anyway?

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#4 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts

I don't have any use for a Dreamcast, but I can appreciate a good retrofest as much as the next guy. Where are they getting these Dreamcasts anyway?

QuistisTrepe_
I remember a year or 3 back, there were multiple chainstores with litterally hundreds and hundreds units left EACH. So, I'm fairly positive they're still very much available. Just not cheap.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Thanks a lot. I just purchased one. I've been interested in purchasing a Dreamcast for a while and now I'm getting one brand new complete in box sealed.
TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
That's pretty cool. I would like a Dreamcast but most of the games I want have been re-released on consoles I all ready have. I have both the Sonic Adventure games on the Cube and other games like Jet Set Radio or Crazy Taxi I can buy to. Still a new Dreamcast is pretty tempting.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#7 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

alreadyhave a dc in good condition payedo nly 40 for itand alreadyhave4 controllers and 4 memory cards andlike 18 gamesso no thanks

MoldySasquatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MoldySasquatch
Member since 2007 • 604 Posts

woah cool brand new! how long have they been holding on to these? lol

GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts
Brand new?? That sounds awesome.
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

too bad $90 is a total ripoff. It's the year 2010, not 1999. I am pretty sure when I get around to buying a Dreamcast, I'll pay about $45 or so. They dont really have any reliability issues, so I would be confident in getting one used.

billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 billyd5301
Member since 2008 • 1572 Posts
Yeah, $30-$40 is a fair price for a slightly used one. I wouldn't pay above $60 for a brand new one.
Gmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gmythe
Member since 2006 • 367 Posts

Just to let you know. The gundam game you are looking for, this site has it.

ekultus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ekultus
Member since 2010 • 1013 Posts

doesnt the wii play DC games?

Gmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gmythe

doesnt the wii play DC games?

ekultus

no, only the ps3 does that. cause it can do everything.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts
Yeah, $30-$40 is a fair price for a slightly used one. I wouldn't pay above $60 for a brand new one.billyd5301
I'm in complete agreement here. I bought my used DC for $30, that included all the hook-ups and the controller. And I got 1/2 price on any one game or accessory with it. And everything works fantastic on it. $90 is a complete rip-off. Especially since you can get a PS2 for $60 at Gamestop.
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SteveTabernacle

too bad $90 is a total ripoff. It's the year 2010, not 1999. I am pretty sure when I get around to buying a Dreamcast, I'll pay about $45 or so. They dont really have any reliability issues, so I would be confident in getting one used.

Talldude80
It has moving parts, it will wear down over time. Considering some of those used systems are over ten years old, (and aren't getting any younger) and I have no way of knowing how much use they've seen, paying a premium for a brand new unit seemed like a good deal to me. I want this to last the maximum amount of time possible, and this is the best way to do it.
GingerFlare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GingerFlare
Member since 2007 • 179 Posts
It has moving parts, it will wear down over time. Considering some of those used systems are over ten years old, (and aren't getting any younger) and I have no way of knowing how much use they've seen, paying a premium for a brand new unit seemed like a good deal to me. I want this to last the maximum amount of time possible, and this is the best way to do it.SteveTabernacle
This is how I feel. I'm willing to pay more, knowing that chances are my console will last longer than any used console I buy. It is new, since used ones are apparently fine to buy, a new one is even better. =P
LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
already have a DC but still awesome deal for anyone that's interested in buying one. i keep mine for the fighting games mostly (jojo bizzare adventure, last blade and SF3 third strike FTW!)
Gmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gmythe

already have a DC but still awesome deal for anyone that's interested in buying one. i keep mine for the fighting games mostly (jojo bizzare adventure, last blade and SF3 third strike FTW!)LP4EVA2005

no soulcalibur? tsk, tsk. :P

SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SteveTabernacle
[QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]already have a DC but still awesome deal for anyone that's interested in buying one. i keep mine for the fighting games mostly (jojo bizzare adventure, last blade and SF3 third strike FTW!)

Third Strike and Double Impact were both awesome games, to me. But I actually like the original Capcom Versus SNK better. I didn't actually like the sequel quite as much. I think the ridiculously awesome presentation of the first game won me over. I just found my VMU in the closet, and it looked to be in beyond rough shape, so I had to go ahead and add a VMU to my order, and went ahead and got a copy of my first DC JRPG, Evolution: World of Sacred Device. Oh lol, I love you Gre Nade. (they had it for eight bucks via Amazon Warehouse Deals)
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rocky32189
[QUOTE="Talldude80"]

SteveTabernacle
It has moving parts, it will wear down over time. Considering some of those used systems are over ten years old, (and aren't getting any younger) and I have no way of knowing how much use they've seen, paying a premium for a brand new unit seemed like a good deal to me. I want this to last the maximum amount of time possible, and this is the best way to do it.

I agree. To me it is worth paying a bit more for one that hasn't been used versus one that may have 10 years of use. Now if only NEC/Hudson would uncover a bunch of sealed Turbo Duo's...
schizo_talon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 schizo_talon
Member since 2010 • 249 Posts

I bought one new for $49 when they decided to get out of the console business. Never really saw what people liked with them. It kind of sits around these days all packed up.

SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SteveTabernacle
Used- Like New my ass. My first bad experience with Amazon. My copy of Shenmue was described as such, but the first disc is scratched all to hell and won't read at all.
cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cmpepper23

Used- Like New my ass. My first bad experience with Amazon. My copy of Shenmue was described as such, but the first disc is scratched all to hell and won't read at all.SteveTabernacle

That's a real bummer. I ordered mine off ebay for like $12 and have yet to receive it.

Cronaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 Cronaroth
Member since 2004 • 3011 Posts

Used- Like New my ass. My first bad experience with Amazon. My copy of Shenmue was described as such, but the first disc is scratched all to hell and won't read at all.SteveTabernacle

Return it? and has anyone here received any of the Dreamcasts that they are selling?

SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SteveTabernacle
Return it? and has anyone here received any of the Dreamcasts that they are selling?Cronaroth
I tried getting disc 1 treated at a place that specializes in that sort of stuff, and it works, sorta. But still freezes constantly. I gave it to my sisters boyfriend, he's a pretty heavy gamer himself, to see if he wanted to put more money towards making it work.... and he's got a used copy on hold at that place sans the passport disc and with a bad case, so he can use those from the one I got. I went ahead and ordered a new factory sealed copy for myself. I got my DC today, obviously. But I went with one day shipping.
Orlando_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 Orlando_Magic
Member since 2002 • 37448 Posts

Luckily I got a Dreamcast for free recently from one of my bro's friends, I just need to replace the laser though. I have been looking for Shenmue so I might give amazon a try for that.

cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cmpepper23

Luckily I got a Dreamcast for free recently from one of my bro's friends, I just need to replace the laser though. I have been looking for Shenmue so I might give amazon a try for that.

Orlando_Magic

Try Ebay. Dude above said his copy was crap that he ordered from amazon. I found one for $12 and it works perfectly.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rocky32189
I got mine in the mail today. It's cool to see a 10 year old system in brand new condition. Unfortunately I don't have any games or a memory card yet. But I was happy to see that the system came with a demo disc. But... the disc isn't working for some reason! It sounds like it's booting up but then it goes back to the main menu. Anyone know why this may be? I thought maybe the disc drive in the system was broken but I put in a CD and it worked fine.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts
[QUOTE="Rocky32189"]I got mine in the mail today. It's cool to see a 10 year old system in brand new condition. Unfortunately I don't have any games or a memory card yet. But I was happy to see that the system came with a demo disc. But... the disc isn't working for some reason! It sounds like it's booting up but then it goes back to the main menu. Anyone know why this may be? I thought maybe the disc drive in the system was broken but I put in a CD and it worked fine.

Uh, oh. You'd better pick up a tester game while it's still on it's warranty period, then. My old PS2's disc drive went out, it could no longer read any games and only some movies, but it would still read all CDs fine.
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SteveTabernacle
[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"][QUOTE="Rocky32189"]I got mine in the mail today. It's cool to see a 10 year old system in brand new condition. Unfortunately I don't have any games or a memory card yet. But I was happy to see that the system came with a demo disc. But... the disc isn't working for some reason! It sounds like it's booting up but then it goes back to the main menu. Anyone know why this may be? I thought maybe the disc drive in the system was broken but I put in a CD and it worked fine.

Uh, oh. You'd better pick up a tester game while it's still on it's warranty period, then. My old PS2's disc drive went out, it could no longer read any games and only some movies, but it would still read all CDs fine.

Ehh, these are brand new though. So they shouldn't be having that kind of issue. They are old yeah, but never run. But I would try to get a cheap game from a pawnshop to be sure, just make sure it isn't scratched. My copy of Shenmue had a scratched up disc one, and was borked. The demo disc really should be clean though, it could have that problem OXM demo discs used to have where you would need to boil the discs to get them to work. My demo disc and my other games worked fine, however. The demo disc brought back some good memories of the time when I first bought my system and couldn't afford any actual games for it. Just played the disc over and over. I can do the first stage of Sonic Adventure practically blindfolded to this very day.
LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts

[QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]already have a DC but still awesome deal for anyone that's interested in buying one. i keep mine for the fighting games mostly (jojo bizzare adventure, last blade and SF3 third strike FTW!)Gmythe

no soulcalibur? tsk, tsk. :P

:lol: nahh, im a 2D fighter kinda guy ;)

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#33 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
geez crazy taxi is 84.99 new. Havent payed that for a new game since the snes era.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Rocky32189
[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"][QUOTE="Rocky32189"]I got mine in the mail today. It's cool to see a 10 year old system in brand new condition. Unfortunately I don't have any games or a memory card yet. But I was happy to see that the system came with a demo disc. But... the disc isn't working for some reason! It sounds like it's booting up but then it goes back to the main menu. Anyone know why this may be? I thought maybe the disc drive in the system was broken but I put in a CD and it worked fine.

I already ordered Jet Grind Radio but it hasn't come in yet. I hope the demo disc is just a faulty disc or something, but I'm tending to doubt it. The disc drive is probably broken which is pretty annoying considering the system has never been used. Hopefully I'll be able to exchange it for a working one.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Ironically I'm considering selling my Dreamcast.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

geez crazy taxi is 84.99 new. Havent payed that for a new game since the snes era.Allicrombie

Just buy the Japanese ver. It's probably under $20.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

Would I buy a brand-new DreamCast - for $49? - probably - for $88? - no, though that's due to the fact that the one I got in September of 1999 is still alive and well. DC's are reliable, and worth getting, but if you can get a working used system without issues, it will give you more money to put towards software.

I've seen videos on YouTube where guys get them for less than $10.00 and in perfect working order. Namely Alecjahn and MN12BIRD, but I'm sure there are others.

SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SteveTabernacle
geez crazy taxi is 84.99 new. Havent payed that for a new game since the snes era.Allicrombie
That's coming to XBLA rather soon, the price will plummet eventually. I actually spotted Crazy Taxi 2 at that previously mentioned place I went to in an effort to get my copy of Shenmue working. Cool place, they also had both models of Panasonic 3D0 and the first Atari Jaguar I've ever seen in person.
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

Unless they actually describe the condition, I would never trust "like new." How was the seller ranking?

SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SteveTabernacle

[QUOTE="SteveTabernacle"]Used- Like New my ass. My first bad experience with Amazon. My copy of Shenmue was described as such, but the first disc is scratched all to hell and won't read at all.QuistisTrepe_

Unless they actually describe the condition, I would never trust "like new." How was the seller ranking?

It was Amazon themselves, via their Warehouse Deals page.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

Not really worth it, if you're not willing to spend or look for new games.

Buying a brand new DC is one thing, but the games (due to rarity) are NOT worth the hefty price, imo, unless you're a super hardcore collector.

I sold mine years ago. But despite the oportunity right now, being a totally new console, I have to pass. Finding new, or used but good condition games are just a hassle. You'll never no what to expect until the end, when the games, in some situation, are completely scratch.

But that's just me.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
Too expensive in my opinion but nice that those who never played it get a chance.
Kokuro_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Kokuro_Kun
Member since 2009 • 2339 Posts
I'd love to buy dreamcast games. I still have my dreamcast. best system evarrrr.
ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts
Eh I prefer my saturn over my dreamcast.
OldSoldier123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 OldSoldier123
Member since 2009 • 257 Posts

Anyone want a brand new Turbografx?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Turbo-Grafx-16-Console-NEW-Pc-Engine-Turbografx-16-/360260907690?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item53e13932aa

sieg6529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#46 sieg6529
Member since 2004 • 1585 Posts
awesome, I'll spread the word. Mine still works perfectly, but it may be wise to get a backup if the DC games never get ported onto one of the modern systems.
RogueShodown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RogueShodown
Member since 2009 • 2818 Posts

woah cool brand new! how long have they been holding on to these? lol

MoldySasquatch
I remember them being available last year, and they've probably been available for a while before that, but I wasn't really looking. I would recommend buying them at around $80 shipped, even though they are new. $95 seems a little steep when you can get a Wii for $150 right now at Amazon.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#48 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

Good find. I may need to puchase another one, mainly since mine has a few issues reading the discs sometimes. The 88.00 price tag is a little high, but it's worth it for one of my favorite systems.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Rocky32189

Anyone want a brand new Turbografx?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Turbo-Grafx-16-Console-NEW-Pc-Engine-Turbografx-16-/360260907690?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item53e13932aa

OldSoldier123
Yes, I sure do, although I would want a NTSC one, not PAL.
cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 cmpepper23

I've yet to receive mine, but have got a few games already. So far I have Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio, Ready 2 Rumble, Maken X, and Sonic Adventure. I got most of these off Goozex. What are some other games I should look into? I was looking at Draconus:Cult of the Wyrm.

Also to any who are wanting to purchase and haven't, it seems the price is going up, $104.99.