Alan Wake sold 700k, is this considered a failure?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 multiplat
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

700k is not bad is it? thats the same amount as Demon's souls

Avatar image for UnknownElement4
UnknownElement4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 UnknownElement4
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

By how much the game was hyped...I say yes it is a failure. I enjoyed the game a ton and I must say that I do wish it would have sold more. It really is a good game.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

700k oh my god thats quite a nasty number... I didn't fancy the game but the story and hype had me check up on the development as it was being made... never thought it was that bad, i expected easily 2mill which would be fairly ok considering the hype but damn that is certainly a flop if you ask me.

93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts
By what I think they should have sold, it's a failure. But it sure is one hell of a game and I hope Remedy make a sequel
TheRapture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheRapture
Member since 2009 • 145 Posts
Yup, definitely.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts
Generally speaking, no. When you consider the time it had in development (it was the first confirmed game of this gen!), absolutely.
killeer2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 killeer2007
Member since 2004 • 793 Posts

Generally speaking, no. When you consider the time it had in development (it was the first confirmed game of this gen!), absolutely.DarkCatalyst

I thought darksector was the first confirmed/announced game this gen.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

We would need to have budget figures at hand to determine that. However, is very likely the game had hefty budgets both for development and for advertising, so not even breaking a million could be considered a failure.

johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
The game took six years to make but sold that many and heavy rain sold more in a week and has been in development for 5 years i think remedy should make it multiplt for their sequal just like dead rising 2.
chansaet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 chansaet
Member since 2003 • 6281 Posts
With game budget's nowadays that might be a failure. It was a big game.
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts
Here's why I think it probably "failed": The game took a vacation to the Wild West. When it got there, it got lost. Soon, it found its way to a million players/cowboys and outlaws and they killed the game. And guess what? Every one of those players, cowboys, and outlaws were those of....you guessed it. Especially since it came out on the same day, too.
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#12 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I would imagine the reason why Alan Wake sold lower than expected is that it was released on the same day as Red Dead Redemption. Had Alan Wake had its own release date, I would think it would have sold me.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Here's why I think it probably "failed": The game took a vacation to the Wild West. When it got there, it got lost. Soon, it found its way to a million players/cowboys and outlaws and they killed the game. And guess what? Every one of those players, cowboys, and outlaws were those of....you guessed it. Especially since it came out on the same day, too.tjoeb123
^ This, plus it didn't help that SMG2 also came out during that time. It's a real shame it isn't selling more.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

I would imagine the reason why Alan Wake sold lower than expected is that it was released on the same day as Red Dead Redemption. Had Alan Wake had its own release date, I would think it would have sold me.

MathMattS

Ik...6 years of development and they kill sales because they decide to release on the same day as RDR...all that time and then a poor decision like that. Releasing anytime during June would have been infinitely better.

kinger256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 kinger256
Member since 2005 • 1770 Posts
The amount of advertising and development which went into the game would suggest that selling anything under 1m would be a dissapointment.
93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts
The game took six years to make but sold that many and heavy rain sold more in a week and has been in development for 5 years i think remedy should make it multiplt for their sequal just like dead rising 2.johny300
The only real reason it did bad was because it came out the same time as a over-hyped game (RDR) Seriously, when my friend and I went to a store for him to rent Alan Wake the weekend it came out, the clerk was like "What's a Alan Wake?" :|
vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#17 vadicta
Member since 2007 • 4354 Posts

There is a sequel in the works from an article I read a month or so ago, which says plenty for it success. It just didn't do nearly as well as hoped.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yep. I'm still surprised the game didn't sell better than it did. Being a hyped and long anticipated blockbuster game, it should have sold atleast twice as much.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

By how much the game was hyped...I say yes it is a failure. .

UnknownElement4
Yeah. It's a really good game too. Too bad it came out when Red Dead came out. :(
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#20 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Considering the structure of how licensing fees and such are, Alan Wake at least sold enough to make a decent profit (I believe the break-even point is 500k copies sold). I definitely feel that they should have kept onboard to actually make a proper PC version of it instead of axing it in favor of the console.
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts
[QUOTE="codezer0"]Considering the structure of how licensing fees and such are, Alan Wake at least sold enough to make a decent profit (I believe the break-even point is 500k copies sold). I definitely feel that they should have kept onboard to actually make a proper PC version of it instead of axing it in favor of the console.

Blame Microsoft for that, not Remedy. I was looking forward to the PC version as well...
spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

That is what you get for abandoning. the PC.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Depends on its budget. Did the game cost $5 million to make, or $50 million? If the former, it probably is a success... if the latter, a failure (so far). The developers don't get the $60 from the retail cost, they get at most 10% from cost, and if Microsoft didn't eat a large portion of the investment, they could be in bad shape after this.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

spookykid143

They didn't abandoning the PC by choice. Microsoft had the final say so on what platforms Alan Wake came out on.

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

[QUOTE="spookykid143"]

jasonharris48

They didn't abandoning the PC by choice. Microsoft had the final say so on what platforms Alan Wake came out on.

Also, they aren't big enough to work on multiple versions. They picked the 360 because they thought that would sell more AND Microsoft was publishing. The only reason Max Payne got a console port wasbecause somebody BESIDES Remedy did it.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Given the long development cycle and the fact that Remedy was selling Alan wake underwear (?!), flashlights and whatnot prior to launch, its a safe bet they were expecting more than 700K in sales.

http://store.alanwake.com/

Its also worth noting that Remedy admits that they pissed away a lot of time working on concepts they ultimately abandoned (originally AW was an open world game).

Kleeyook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#27 Kleeyook
Member since 2008 • 5213 Posts

700k is not bad is it? thats the same amount as Demon's souls

multiplat
Demon's Soul is for hardcore gamers only so the sale justifies. But Alan Wake's sale is poor because Microsoft was stupid enough to release it on the same day Red Dead Redemption launched. Day one sale is what usually indicate how it'll go for game sale anyway. And RDR destroyed Alan Wake. :(
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44313 Posts
I just hope that they sold enough to warrant making a sequel because I found Alan Wake to be an excellent game and would love to see more of it in the future.
KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 KlepticGrooves
Member since 2010 • 2448 Posts

I don't understand why it hasn't sold more, although part of me thinks it's because a sizeable chunk of gamers nowadays will only buy games that have multiplayer. :roll:

I heard it's supposed to be scheduled for a PC release soon, so hopefully that will push sales.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CarnageHeart

I don't understand why it hasn't sold more, although part of me thinks it's because a sizeable chunk of gamers nowadays will only buy games that have multiplayer. :roll:

I heard it's supposed to be scheduled for a PC release soon, so hopefully that will push sales.

KlepticGrooves

I agree that a lot of people care more about multiplayer than singleplayer nowadays, but there are still a lot of fans of singleplayer games out there.

Mass Effect 2, Heavy Rain, God of War 3 and Final Fantasy 13 didn't have any problems selling this year despite their lack of multiplayer.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
No, it's not like the game has stopped selling. It's headed for 1 million+. If that's underwhelming blame Microsoft for not marketing it at all.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

First of all where is this 700K figure coming from? The NPD? Is it WorldWide? Are those shipping numbers? A link would be nice.

Let's assume it is just NPD numbers then no, 700K is a very respectable number and considering its sub 200K sales for the first month, it's very impressive to see a single player game add 500k after its launch month.

If it's worldwide then yes it's a flop, but not a very big one. It was in development for over 6 years and Remedy is a pretty experienced team with a hit franchise under their belt and around 45 employees according to wikipedia. That's the same number of employees as the Epic team that made Gears and Gears 2, both of which cost $10 million with a development cycle of two years each. We can assume that Alan Wake cost around $30 million and 700K worldwide simply means $28,000,000 in revenue for Remedy after the $12 cut for retailers, and around $6-7 in MS's royalty fee on each copy. (I am also assuming that in exchange for the exclusive, MS agreed to take up the marketing and distribution costs, if not then we are looking at $30 of revenue for each copy sold. Which would then amount to only $21 million in revenue and then it would be very big flop.) But yes, it's still got a chance to break even and if we look at how many copies they shipped, they probably broke even already and maybe even made a profit just selling the game to the retailers.

Lastly, if someone can pull up the shipped numbers then we would have a clearer picture of whether it is a flop or not. Right now, considering it's a relatively small studio being supported by MS in exchange for the exclusive, we can safely assume that it's not a flop.

People seem to think anything less than a million units SOLD is a flop when in fact, the devs and the publishers make money on how many units they SHIP. Also, it's all relative to how big the budget was as well. If God Of War 3 with its $44 million budget sold less than a million copies worldwide then we can safely assume it was a major flop. Gears 2 with its $10 million budget would have been profitable even with 500K units shipped worldwide.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#33 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

For the amount of time it was in development? Absolutely. For a typical new, IP Game, no.

Think about it, 700,000 is a lot of copies. But Alan Wake was in development for like 6 years. It probably lost quite a bit of cash.

Like Silent Hill Homecoming sold about the same. But it was in development for like 2-3 years. So 700k is decent.

anything over a million I would call a pretty big success.

Aboogie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Aboogie5
Member since 2008 • 1118 Posts

how many years put into this game? well at least compared to mafia 2 its not that bad i guess

narog84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 narog84
Member since 2006 • 1126 Posts

i think they need to sell like 2millions to gain profit

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts
i doubt its profitable. its been in development hell for an age and it was made for a HD console. lost planet needed to break 600,000 just to pay for itself and costs have only gone up since then. so yes...its a commercial failure.
adamBlu_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 adamBlu_00
Member since 2010 • 198 Posts

Given the long development cycle and the fact that Remedy was selling Alan wake underwear (?!), flashlights and whatnot prior to launch, its a safe bet they were expecting more than 700K in sales.

http://store.alanwake.com/

Its also worth noting that Remedy admits that they pissed away a lot of time working on concepts they ultimately abandoned (originally AW was an open world game).

CarnageHeart
lol underwear :lol:
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

Most game developers only wish their games could sell 700k. So no, its clearly not a failure.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#39 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

We can assume that Alan Wake cost around $30 million.S0lidSnake

I don't think it cost anywhere near as much. Yes, it took a lot of time to develop (most of the time was spent of various prototypes, not full-on development), but I don't see it having some enormous budget. Also, Remedy has another source of revenue which probably supported the long development cycle via its sister company, Futuremark which makes 3DMark, a popular benchmarking software.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CarnageHeart

I've spent a bit of time looking and wasn't able to find a source for the 700K number that has been mentioned (never with attribution) on a couple forums and fansites. The number is suspiciously close to VGChartz's 698K guesstimate so I strongly suspect they are the 'source'.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 CarnageHeart

Remedy's community manager posted a FAQ in February 2007 which stated that in its first couple years (before MS picked up the project which happened back in 2006) Remedy spend seven million on AW and that it had been in development for over five years. He stated the subsequent budget is 'secret'.

http://forum.alanwake.com/showthread.php?t=1216

How long has Alan Wake been in development?

Over 5 years.

"Alan Wake is a concept that we've been working with for over a year now. Once Max Payne 2 shipped we spent a little while recovering from the crunch, and then started working on different concepts trying to find the concept that would excite us and that we could be passionate about. And after several drafts we found something that we really liked... and that concept was Alan Wake." - Petri Järvilehto (31 May 2005)

How much has it cost so far to develop Alan Wake?

The game's production costs were estimated at 7 million dollars before Remedy entered in to a publishing deal with Microsoft. Remedy was financing the production itself for a couple of years until Microsoft Game Studios came in with its vast resources. The game's final budget is a business secret.

cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts
Such an excellent game too. What happened? Did Red Dead kill its sales?
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Such an excellent game too. What happened? Did Red Dead kill its sales?cametall

pretty much.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

[QUOTE="cametall"]Such an excellent game too. What happened? Did Red Dead kill its sales?S0lidSnake

pretty much.

Games like Alan Wake are fairly niche, or niche-chic like Heavy Rain and the like. I frankly don't know why people would ever have the expectation that games like that would sell into seven figures.

TheGrayEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheGrayEye
Member since 2006 • 2579 Posts

You can't blame people for buying Red Dead over it, RDR had ALOT more bang for your buck, in terms of the massive amount of (high quality) content. Alan Wake is a great game, but it practically had "rental" written write on it's forehead (short, yet great singleplayer experience). Most people can't just pull $60 out of their ass, so the choice between which game justifies that amount money more, is somewhat obvious.

Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Farkeman
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
ye its a failure , i bet they spent like more than half they earned to advertise the game , with all live action movies etc. thats what you get for canceling pc version !
myke2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 myke2010
Member since 2002 • 2747 Posts

[QUOTE="tjoeb123"]Here's why I think it probably "failed": The game took a vacation to the Wild West. When it got there, it got lost. Soon, it found its way to a million players/cowboys and outlaws and they killed the game. And guess what? Every one of those players, cowboys, and outlaws were those of....you guessed it. Especially since it came out on the same day, too.jasonharris48

^ This, plus it didn't help that SMG2 also came out during that time. It's a real shame it isn't selling more.

Yep. Other than September 14th, this was proabably the worst day to release a game this year. Also, dropping the PC version probably didn't help them any either.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

If 700k sales is the mark of a failed game then the video game market really isn't sustainable and the entire industry is probably headed for a crash.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 CarnageHeart

If 700k sales is the mark of a failed game then the video game market really isn't sustainable and the entire industry is probably headed for a crash.

Dire_Weasel
The 700K number isn't real (no numbers besides the first month npd sales have been released).
moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts
Some will say otherwise, but I don't see how you can make a credible arguement that a game's a failure when it will be selling 1 million in the near future. Even with whatever hype it had, there's still the fact that it was a new ip so you can't really say it was guaranteed to sell millions. It may be a sales disappointment but in no way a sales failure.