A trend in gaming that I've noticed.....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Developers seem to slack off after a successful first entry in a new gaming franchise, and let brandname and hype carry the sequels.

For example, look at the Prince of Persia series.  The Sands of Time comes out and is just an incredible game, then the Warrior Within is released, and while not terrible, is a mere shadow of what TSOT was.  The Two Thrones arrives which is better than the second, but is still not in the same class as the original.  I feel the same way about Halo and Halo 2.

Do you think it is intentional for companies to ride the success of the original and release a "just good enough" sequel which will sell anyhow despite it's questionable calibur as a quality product? 

I'm not saying this happens to all sequels, as God of War II is a fine example of a game that is as close to the original as can be hoped for, but I'm tending to become very skeptical about the promise of what's to come in franchise updates.

Thoughts?

Ritard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 Ritard
Member since 2004 • 1180 Posts
Depends on the game genre. Racing games aren't hard to ride the formula and still get better, but some genres just need more variety. Developers do seem to be getting cheap on their sequels nowadays. I think the longer the series runs, the more likely it is to have a few truly great entries.
i_hate_someone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 i_hate_someone
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
although i disagree with your example, i do understand. there are so many different variables in the game industry that can hamper a developer from making an even better sequel to a game. it has been done, and can be done, but i'm sure it's not easy.
AbusementPark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 AbusementPark
Member since 2007 • 593 Posts

Yeah, I'm sick of developers making sequel after sequel just so they can make more money.

But I'm glad that the Prince of Persia has officially ended. Well, I WAS glad, but now they're just making ports of The Two Thrones just to get some quick cash.