The other motorsports thread (Nascar, Indy, WTC, BTCC, etc)

• 86 results
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

Hey all

This thread is for discussing other motorsports in general. I am a fan of the British Touring Car Championship and World Rally Championship. However, due to irregular tv times or channel slots (it goes on ITV 4 which I cant get as I dont have SKY or Digital TV) they are slowly declining in popularity. Also with the dropping of major manufacturers in the WRC it seems it wont be growing back to its old ways with teams like Ford now being private teams rather than run by the car manufacturers.

Anyway, enjoy :)

mgmeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 mgmeek
Member since 2005 • 4079 Posts

I enjoyed the NASCAR race today at Talledega. 2 big wrecks, no injuries, and controversy to the end. Congrats to Tony Stewart and glad to see Jimmie Johnson get the lead in points from Carl Edwards.

I am sad to see WRC waining in popularity. I didn't realize it was losing support in Europe as well. It is not broadcast here in America anymore, Speed Channel and WRC couldn't agree on a contract I think. I would certainly watch as much of it as I could.

2008 Sprint Cup Standings ( 10/5/2008 )

1 Jimmie Johnson 5718 Leader

2 Carl Edwards 5646 -72

3 Greg Biffle 5641 -77

4 Jeff Burton 5619 -99

5 Clint Bowyer 5566 -152

6 Kevin Harvick 5547 -171

7 Tony Stewart 5515 -203

8 Jeff Gordon 5486 -232

9 Matt Kenseth 5473 -245

10 Dale Earnhardt Jr. 5469 -249

11 Kyle Busch 5387 -331

12 Denny Hamlin 5383 -335

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 garfield360uk
They used to put it on ITV in the UK and Channel 4 either in the morning or afternoon and it was nice to watch but then they put it on digital channels at midnight etc so its much less watched.
XSamFisherX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 XSamFisherX
Member since 2003 • 3414 Posts

Regan Smith should have won that race, not Stewart.

Yeah true for WRC, I loved it as a kid. Sit down watch some F1 on Speedvision and then there would be some WRC... Better than Saturday morning cartoons, but on a Sunday!

mgmeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mgmeek

Regan Smith should have won that race, not Stewart.

XSamFisherX

I was divided, at first it looked like Regan Smith was still behind Stewart when Smith swerved below the yellow line. Then when I saw it a few more times Regan had just gotten underneath Stewart. And Stewart did what a driver in that spot should do. But like Jeff Gordon said on WindTunnel with Dave Despain, Regan will learn that you do not go below that yellow line and if you wreck the guy then that is what happens.

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Redders1989
Member since 2006 • 13410 Posts
I remember a few years ago occasionally keeping up with the WRC as they had highlights midday on ITV1, but now they've stopped doing that I believe and so I haven't kept up at all. It just seems though everytime I hear anything about it, it's because Loeb's won :lol:
kono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kono11
Member since 2007 • 947 Posts

OH GOD!

This week also has MotoGP at the same day as F1, with a really close time too!

well, at Asia, they are aired not together, but it is sitll "shocked" me.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 garfield360uk
I saw the Laguna Seca Moto GP race when it was aired on the BBC. I rarely see the sports now due to working weekends etc when they are on :(
kono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kono11
this week's venue is malaysia.
mgmeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mgmeek

Am I seeing that IndyCar is running in Australia right now? How did I miss this?

Briscoe, Dixon, Hunter-Reay @ Lap 20

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Redders1989

ROSSI SET FOR WALES RALLY DRIVE:

Six-time MotoGP world champion Valentino Rossi will switch from two wheels to four next month when he drives in the Wales Rally GB.

The 29-year-old will race in a Ford Focus which will carry logos in support of the BBC's Children in Need appeal.

Rossi, who is said to be interested in a long-term switch to rallying, first raced in the Welsh Rally back in 2002.

"I am hoping for a good result at next weekend's Monza Rally to prepare for the forests of Wales," said Rossi.

"I'm also delighted to be supporting BBC Children in Need, which does such vital work in the UK.

"It's a great charity and one I'm very pleased to be involved in."

The charity will hold a charity auction on Friday 5 December, as well as collecting money over the course of the action.

"It's a tremendous honour to have Valentino Rossi promoting the charity," said Children in Need spokesman Marc Phillips.

"We have had a remarkable response to this year's event on 14 November - and this will be a fabulous final flourish for us."

Rossi made his World Rally debut in Wales in 2002 but crashed out on the second stage, while he finished 11th in the 2006 Rally New Zealand.

He has also competed in the last three Monza Rally races, winning the 2006 and 2007 events.

Rossi has also been linked with a move to Formula One recently having tested for Ferrari, but he has signed a two-year contract to keep him at Yamaha until 2010.

Wales Rally organiser Andrew Coe added: "He is a supreme ambassador for all forms of motorsport, as well as a remarkably-gifted sportsman.

"We look forward to seeing him take on the challenges of the Welsh forests."

Rossi's co-driver in Wales will be his 48-year-old compatriot Carlo Cassina, with the event starting on 4 December and running for four days.

SOURCE: BBC SPORT

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Redders1989

McRAE IS HONOURED IN HALL OF FAME:

Motor racing legend Colin McRae has been inducted into the Scottish Sports Hall of Fame.

Former World Rally champion McRae, who died in a helicopter crash alongside his young son last September, is one of four new inductees.

Scotland's 1990 Grand Slam-winning captain David Sole was also honoured.

And Olympic swimmer Catherine Brown and disability sportswoman Isabel Newstead were recognised for their outstanding sporting achievements.

McRae, the son of five-times British rally champion Jimmy, wrote his name in the record books in 1995 when he became the first Briton to win the World Rally Championship.

Deputy First Minister Nicola Sturgeon presided over the occasion at the National Museum of Scotland.

And Sturgeon said: "It is a fantastic privilege to be able to pay tribute to Catherine, Colin, David and Isabel.

"Honouring these sporting greats highlights our outstanding achievements as a nation and gives us a great opportunity to look back on the many champions that our country has produced.

"Their induction into the Scottish Sports Hall of Fame will help ensure that their legacy continues to inspire for generations to come."

Accepting the award on behalf of McRae was his wife, Alison, and father Jim.

Alison said: "Colin would have been honoured and privileged to become a member of the Scottish Sports Hall of Fame and take his place alongside the greats of Scottish sporting history."

Sole, who was capped 44 times for Scotland's rugby union team, will forever be remembered for the inspirational manner in which he led his side out at Murrayfield for the Grand Slam decider against England in 1990, with the Scots famously triumphing 13-7.

The loose-head prop also captained the British and Irish Lions in two of their three series-winning tests against Australia in 1989.

Brown is one of Scotland's most successful-ever female swimmers.

She achieved 29 British records spread over a 16-year career in which she won three European Championship medals and went on to swim at the 1948 Olympic Games in London, winning bronze in the 400m free****

Isabel Newstead excelled in several sports, including swimming, athletics and shooting, and won nine medals across all three sports at the Paralympic Games in Athens in 1984.

She also competed in the 1988 and 2004 Paralympics, winning a gold medal in the women's air pistol. She passed away in 2007.

SOURCE: BBC SPORT

mgmeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mgmeek
A shame that he died before this happened.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 garfield360uk

Agreed, he is a true legend of the World Rally Championship along with others like Richard Burns. Its a shame what has happened to these two individuals and their families.

As for Rossi, good for him for doing this for charity when I bet many sponsors would have paid good money to be on his car.

mgmeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mgmeek

Well the NASCAR season has come to an end. And it seems 2008 is the year for history making of all sorts.  Formula 1 crowns youngest and first Briton champion (that's not right? :P), US elections make history, and NASCAR has only it's second driver to three-peat to the championship.

Jimmie Johnson 2006, 2007, 2008 NASCAR Sprint Cup Champion

Carl Edwards did all he could, won the race and led the most laps, but Johnson's consistency and determination were a wall he could not climb.

Personally, I am sad to see that Jeff Gordon failed to win a race this year (first time in 14 years) and am hopeful that team will come on strong next year. You really can't beat the Hendrick Motorsports 2009 line-up (Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Mark Martin).

Looking ahead, things are changing, testing has been banned by NASCAR for all teams, saving about $1 million per team, but causing layoffs. How will the slumping economy further affect the smaller teams? Are changes in store for the Car of Tomorrow (COT)? Will the Chase format be changed? Who knows but next year looks to be an exciting year just as this past one was. One prediction, I think that in less than 5 years we will see a hybrid powertrain similar to the next year's F1 and ALMS KERS systems. It will be exciting nonetheless, and we will watch because racing is just fun!

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 garfield360uk

Damon Hill, Sir Jackie Stewart et al not ring a bell? :P

Its good when you can get some competition into the mix, I just hope Nascar wont get the F1 situation of "oh look, Schumacher wins it.... again......"

mgmeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mgmeek

Yes I rather thought that might raise some eyebrows.  A bit of sharp wit and poking fun at all the announcers and commentators that say, 'well it doesn't/shouldn't matter, but it is worth mentioning he is the first black man to win an F1 championship.'

I doubt Jimmie could keep it going like Schumie.  For one NASCAR doesn't back Jimmie quite like the FIA supported Ferrari. :D  And it's less about the manufacturers than it is the drivers.  So while it is possible, I see Earnhardt Jr. or certainly Edwards making strong runs next year.

Also, in IndyCar news Helio Castroneves will not get an extension on his court date that would have postponed it till after the IndyCar season next year.  May be a bit of uncertainty if he is not able/allowed to the finish the season after the trial.

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Redders1989

MotoGP

Opening round in Qatar has been delayed due to poor weather conditions. Hey, it's Malaysia all over again!

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Redders1989

QATAR MOTOGP CANCELLED BY STORM

The opening round of the 2009 MotoGP championship in Qatar had to be cancelled on Sunday night after torrential rain.

Earlier in the day the 125cc and 250cc races had been shortened by the weather but the rain returned with a vengeance as the riders lined up on the grid.

Race organisers are considering the possibility of postponing the race until Monday.

Casey Stoner had been due to start on pole position ahead of Valentino Rossi.

The signs were not good on Saturday, when rain fell just before and after the MotoGP qualifying session.

Sunday's racing programme began with the 125cc race, which had to be stopped after just four laps because of the rain.

Italy's Andrea Iannone was declared the winner, ahead of Julian Simon and Sandro Cortese, with Britain's Bradley Smith in fifth place.

The 250cc riders fared slightly better, with their race reduced from 20 to 13 laps because of earlier weather problems.

Spain's Hector Barbera won ahead of French pair Jules Cluzel and Mike Di Meglio, getting the crowd warmed up for the eagerly-anticipated main race.

But with the riders in place on the grid, the heavens opened and a combination of rain and high winds made racing impossible.

Qatar has an average of eight days' rain per year, and if the race had taken place during the day, it would just have been a factor for the riders to deal with rather than stopping the race.

But because it was being staged under lights, the glare off the wet track would have made racing impossible.

SOURCE: BBC Sport

EDIT: The race has been re-scheduled for 7PM BST on Monday 13th April.

XSamFisherX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 XSamFisherX
It rained in Qatar? Is that not impossible? Maybe it will rain BahRAIN.
Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Redders1989

UK viewers can catch the Qatar opening round on the BBC Red Button service or on the BBC Sport website by tuning in at 6:45 PM. The race starts at 7.

Also, XSFX, from the unlikely headlines thread:

The forecaster for F1.com is presented with the award for most accurate weather predictor of 2009, somehow managing to correctly forecast the flood that hit Bahrain.Redders1989

cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#22 cjek
Member since 2003 • 14327 Posts
I'm glad the BBC have rescheduled the broadcast at short notice, you'd expect them to say "no, it was scheduled for Sunday and we're not moving it". But they've given it Monday night air time and that has to be commended. And now we won't have the BBC Three logo on screen for the race :).
kono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kono11

UK viewers can catch the Qatar opening round on the BBC Red Button service or on the BBC Sport website by tuning in at 6:45 PM. The race starts at 7.

Also, XSFX, from the unlikely headlines thread:

[QUOTE="Redders1989"]The forecaster for F1.com is presented with the award for most accurate weather predictor of 2009, somehow managing to correctly forecast the flood that hit Bahrain.Redders1989

Man, Here in Indonesia we should wake up at midnight to watch it.

Because here is the GMT+7 time zone.(So, 6:45+7=1:45 AM)

mgmeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mgmeek

The biggest news of the day and possibly the week, yes moreso than the diffusers. :P

Helio is Free!

A mistrial was declared in the tax evasion case today.

Full Story

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Redders1989
MotoGP: Lorzeno wins in Japan, takes lead of Championship
mgmeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mgmeek

NASCAR:

If anyone has a chance to watch the last 5 laps of the Sprint Cup race at Talledega, it was pretty hair-raising. Carl Edwards went airborne 50 yards from the checkered flag and pulled a 'Ricky Bobby' to finish.

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Redders1989

NASCAR:

If anyone has a chance to watch the last 5 laps of the Sprint Cup race at Talledega, it was pretty hair-raising. Carl Edwards went airborne 50 yards from the checkered flag and pulled a 'Ricky Bobby' to finish.

mgmeek

YouTube linkage?

mgmeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mgmeek
[QUOTE="mgmeek"]

NASCAR:

Redders1989

YouTube linkage?

Well, it just happened but I'll try.

mgmeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mgmeek

The finish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcCWhltnS2E

The first big one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7ruiRLRa4Q

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Redders1989
Haha... oh Carl. Legendary :lol:
kipi19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#31 kipi19
Member since 2005 • 4590 Posts
Keslowski was really out of order to win that Talledega, he doesn't deserve that win as far as I'm concerned, Especially doing donuts at the end to really rub it in, I know in NASCAR they say rubbing is racing.. But thats just wayyyyy to OTT...
mgmeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mgmeek
Well Edwards didn't seem to mind, and admitted he did not realize Keselowski was already underneath him and was trying to block. It was pretty scary until Edwards got out and Newman was cleared. I was hoping Newman or Earnhardt Jr would win but oh well.
XSamFisherX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 XSamFisherX
What a finish. Good Carl is okay. And what about that kid Keselowski? Love the fake to the outside, Carl had to block it. That train they had coming on Junior and Newman to the outside, amazing. I figured out what is missing from F1. Cajones. EDIT: Hey what about that guy Scott Speed? Fifth. As I recall, he wasn't wanted in the Yurops?
SchumiF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SchumiF1
Member since 2004 • 6044 Posts
I was watching the race and when that happened, I honestly thought that Edwards car was gonna jump the fence after Newman hit him further up in the air. Thank god it didn't, would have been a huge disaster.
mgmeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mgmeek

Most definitely a blessing that nobody was 'seriously' injured. As of last night they said that 8 people were treated for injuries but none life-threatening.

Yeah SamFisher, P4 a former V8 Supercar champ, Aussie Marcos Ambrose and P5 former F1 driver Scott Speed. To survive 'Dega and finish in the top 5 is a massive accomplishment.

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Redders1989

MotoGP: Three races, three different winners, three different Championship leaders - Now Rossi heads the table.

In other news, congratulations to young Bradley Smith from the UK, who won his first GP race in the 125cc cIass.

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Redders1989
Heh, well the Indy 500 falls on the same day as the Monaco GP. How 'bout that?
XSamFisherX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 XSamFisherX
Heh, well the Indy 500 falls on the same day as the Monaco GP. How 'bout that?Redders1989
Almost always does.
Mr5Nascar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mr5Nascar
Member since 2008 • 39 Posts
Just remember why Keselowski wrecked Edwards... In the fall race last year Regan Smith made the same move on Stewart and when Stewart blocked, Smith went below that yellow line and Nascar DQ'ed Smith. So if Keselowski would have moved down Keselowski would have finished last on the lead lap.
mgmeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mgmeek

[QUOTE="Redders1989"]Heh, well the Indy 500 falls on the same day as the Monaco GP. How 'bout that?XSamFisherX
Almost always does.

And Coca-Cola 600 in Charlotte.

Addition: This World Superbike racing is amazing! Spies either P1 or Plast but so fun to watch. 

kono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kono11

[QUOTE="XSamFisherX"][QUOTE="Redders1989"]Heh, well the Indy 500 falls on the same day as the Monaco GP. How b'out that?mgmeek

Almost always does.

Addition: This World Superbike racing is amazing! Spies either P1 or Plast but so fun to watch.

Spies vs Haga/Fabrizio was insane.:twisted:

mgmeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mgmeek
[QUOTE="mgmeek"]

[QUOTE="XSamFisherX"][QUOTE="Redders1989"]Heh, well the Indy 500 falls on the same day as the Monaco GP. How b'out that?kono11

Almost always does.

Spies vs Haga/Fabrizio was insane.:twisted:

When they get to the US in a few weeks the fans are going to be crazy!

Haga is great racer, unfortunate bad luck in Race 2. But I love his after race interview, usually has a funny soundbite.

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Redders1989
MotoGP: Lorenzo wins at Le Mans, Rossi fails to score.
mgmeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mgmeek
NASCAR: Tony Stewart takes home $1 million dollars (US), I guess about 100 pounds UK, :D in his win of the All-Star Race. No points but plenty of bragging rights and a big boost for next weekend's Coca-Cola 600 at the same track. 1 of 4 winners of the All-Star race, win the subsequent Coca-Cola 600.
kono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kono11

Rossi lost because he falls on a corner.The falll is caused by a wrong choice of tyre. And he also get a ride through penalty.

Uh. Justice is NOT served.

cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 cjek
Member since 2003 • 14327 Posts

Chaos at the WTCC Pau Race 2- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYO4yPmf5AI

Three accounts of blame in my opinion; the driver, for going a little too fast when the safety car signs were out, and seeing as he was leading, he should've expected it to appear where it did, also the safety car driver, for pulling across the track and braking, and finally race control for sending the safety car out so late.

kipi19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#47 kipi19
Member since 2005 • 4590 Posts
Now that.. Is... just... FUNNY XD at least no one was hurt right?
mgmeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mgmeek
Wow, that was crazy! I'm unsure why the SC driver thought he should cut almost all the way across the track? Do WTCC have any kind of in-car SC warning light?
Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Redders1989

One of my friend's bf works for the WTTC, and he said it was the safety car driver'#s fault entirely.

MotoGP - Stoner breaks Rossi's Mugello streak, Toseland finishes 7th

And a good word for 125cc rider Bradley Smith, who took his 2nd victory and now leads the championship!

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Redders1989
MotoGP: Rossi takes unbelievable last corner victory, Rossi, Lorenzo and Stoner all lead the Championship.