falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 0

#1 falconclan
Member since 2005 • 15885 Posts

Okay, I've had this thing home for a day and I'm having problems already.

Basically if you start the system and don't move it at all, its fine. But the least bit of movement of the headset turns the right eye of my screen into an unreadable mess. I would rather find a solution rather than returning it right away, so is anyone familiar with this problem or know of a fix? Its not a focus thing, or a mirror thing, etc, its hardware. The left eye functions perfectly. 

At first I thought it was a problem with the game, as I had just poped in mario tennis that I just bought to show my girlfriend what a neat little device it was. She played it for a while, then put it down and said it was neat. I played it next because I haven't played the game since the mid 1990's. When I turned it on everything seemed fine, it ran properly, then when I got to the start screen of the game the right screen started to pull an original gameboy, where everything on screen is a garbled mess of what it should actually be. 

I tested Teleroboxer to test my wonderful theory. I was praying it wasn't the headset at this point, alas, with a bit of movement, garbled mess. 

tl;dr VB right eye isn't working, wat do?

gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 gmsnpr
Member since 2004 • 4242 Posts

The right eye goes out on many.  My two both have the same issue.  I talked to a guy about this exact issue last week and he successfully (and it appears permanently) fixed his by removing the end of the ribbon cable supplying power to the right projector and very carefully trimming and re-stripping it.  It didn't sound like a novice-level fix, but you may be able to find more specific instructions online.  I haven't bothered to work on my second unit yet; I did take apart the first one and marveled at the optical design a long time ago.

falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#3 falconclan
Member since 2005 • 15885 Posts

The right eye goes out on many.  My two both have the same issue.  I talked to a guy about this exact issue last week and he successfully (and it appears permanently) fixed his by removing the end of the ribbon cable supplying power to the right projector and very carefully trimming and re-stripping it.  It didn't sound like a novice-level fix, but you may be able to find more specific instructions online.  I haven't bothered to work on my second unit yet; I did take apart the first one and marveled at the optical design a long time ago.

gmsnpr
Yeah, I actually saw some things online about the ribbon fix on some virtual boy sites. It apparently has a rather intriguing cult community.  It looks hard as hell though, and I'm not sure it would be possible for me to do the sort of repair. I didn't read anything about trimming the ribbon, but you do have to follow the lines exactly with your soldering iron, a skill I have yet to aquire.