Morrino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Morrino
Member since 2004 • 88 Posts
So I decided to buy the Final Fantasy games from PSone to use them on my PS2 and I bought 2 PSone memory cards but my PS2 wont read them when I plug them in (by the way the memory cards are original sony), so my question is are they incompatible and if so is there a way to make them work or should i get another type of memory cards?
gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 gmsnpr
Member since 2004 • 4242 Posts

So I decided to buy the Final Fantasy games from PSone to use them on my PS2 and I bought 2 PSone memory cards but my PS2 wont read them when I plug them in (by the way the memory cards are original sony), so my question is are they incompatible and if so is there a way to make them work or should i get another type of memory cards?Morrino

To my knowledge, all Sony-brand Playstation 1 memory cards are the same. I don't know about the slimline PS2s, but the chunky type, like mine reads Playstation 1 memory cards just fine. It would kind of suck to have a system that can play older games but not save your progress in them. Maybe it has to do with the system being a Slimline if it is, or perhaps the port is faulty. If you've tried two cards, it is unlikely that both would be trash, unless they were both second-hand, or filthy.

Try swabbing the contacts in the memory cards with a cotton swab that is damp with 70% rubbing alchohol. Let them dry before trying them again. Also, if you have a nearby friend with a working PS2 or PS1, test the cards on that machine.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

my brother has a ps1 official card and it reads on my slim but only during the game and not the dashboard. i have 2 3rd party cards but one wont read at all. if i want to transfer files i use my ps1 then i transfer those to my ps2 cards
totalgridlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#4 totalgridlock
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts

I have a Slim PS2 and my official PS1 memory cards work absolutely fine, both in game and at the dashboard.  I often access them at the dashboard and copy saves to and from different cards (I always back up 'important' PS1 saves onto a PS2 card).  There shouldn't be any reason why you haven't got full functionality, at least with the official cards. Third party cards rarely work on a Slim, I've found.

Memory cards don't last forever though, even the official ones, so maybe the cards are faulty.  Or it could be the port, I suppose.  Clean the contacts on the card, like gmsnpr says, and test them on another console if possible.  Oh, and make sure you are using Port 1 - most PS1 games like the memory card to be in the first slot.

CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#5 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts
I have the "fatty" PS2 and it reads my PS1 official and unofficial cards just fine. Can't add anything to the slim commentary.
cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#6 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts
I have a fatty, and a few official PSone memory cards, then one of those multi-page good ones that is third party, and aside from being unable to "turn" the page when its installed in the PS2 they all seem to work fine.
sprinter6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sprinter6
Member since 2004 • 333 Posts
I've used both original Playstation 2s, as well as Slims, and I have never found an issue using Playstation Memory Cards with them, i suggest taking a q-tip and trying to clean the contacts on the memory card, and then trying it in the Slim again...there is no reason why this shouldn't work, unless it's some really cruddy 3rd party one, because I have lots of 3rd party ones, and they're just fine, even ones with multiple pages in them.
Morrino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Morrino
Member since 2004 • 88 Posts

I just wanted to thank everyone here for all your help, I couldn't answer before cause I didn't have fully functional internet at my place, but now I'm back online.

I ended up going to a friend of mine's and exchanging my memory card for one of the old sony ones and it worked properly both the old one on my slim ps2 and the new one on my friend's fat psx.Â