totalgridlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 0

#1 totalgridlock
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts

OK, so as you might know I recently picked up a Mega Drive/Genesis (finally getting my Sega on).  I've been browsing about a lot and I've got my eye on a couple of good-sized games lots on eBay to beef up my library.

I've also been looking at the various add-ons and peripherals for the console, namely the Mega CD (Sega CD) and 32x. I remember a good childhood friend of mine used to have a Mega CD and I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread and for us, it was the first CD-based games console we'd ever seen... but I don't really want to base what could turn out to be an expensive purchase solely on nostalgia. I've never known anyone with a 32x, so I'm totally clueless there.

I'd be looking to get a Model I Mega CD (front-loader) to fit in better with my Mark I console, which bumps up the price a little.  From my research so far it seems I'm looking at £50-60 for an unboxed Mega CD I or £80+ for a boxed example.  Plus postage costs, of course.  The 32x seems to go for anything up to £100 (!).

My big question is: Is the Mega CD/Sega CD and/or 32x really worth the extra expense?  Are the games on the whole actually any good?  I'm interested in all your thoughts and game recommendations are welcomed.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

sonic cd. in the US we can get the 32x for 5 to 20$
gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 gmsnpr
Member since 2004 • 4242 Posts

There are tens of good games on the Mega CD and a handful on 32X. Mega CD: Lunar 1 and 2, Popful Mail, Vay, Robo Aleste, Android Assault, Sonic CD, Rise of the Dragon, Snatcher, Shining Force CD, and Eternal Champions CD are all worth having and playing and aside from the Lunars (in substantially altered form) aren't available anywhere else. 32X has Tempo, Knuckles, and Blackstone that are worth playing IMO, not much else. There are only about 30 games on 32X in any case, versus 175 for the Sega CD, so I'd recommend a CD drive first.

There are also 32X CD games if you like add-ons. Corpse Killer is decent for a campy lightgun game. I've never played Slam City or the upgraded Farenheit.