You must enter both a valid password and email

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RandoIphF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RandoIphF
Member since 2013 • 271 Posts

Ok, I know we have a thread for this.  But I really need to get this off my chest, because I feel like I'm being ignored.  I have a much older account here.  I started getting the error telling me I must enter both a valid email and password over one year ago in March 2012.

I cannot reset my password, the email attached to the account is from 2001, it was a ZDnet email address I got for my work as a forums moderator for this site between 2001 and 2004. (Gamespot used to be on ZDnet) I cannot access it.  In any fashion, it does not exist.  What I need is quite simple, I need to be able to get my email address changed.  We used to be able to do that ourselves before this error came up if our email addy needed to be revalidated, I have done it before on other accounts.  But I cannot do that because of the error we've been dealing with lately, that is still not resolved.

If needed I can provide the email and pasword, and I can go make a new email address to replace it if an admin could do that for me.

I have been locked out for over a year and I would really appreciate some direct assistance.

Thank you.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Ok, I know we have a thread for this.  But I really need to get this off my chest, because I feel like I'm being ignored.  I have a much older account here.  I started getting the error telling me I must enter both a valid email and password over one year ago in March 2012.

I cannot reset my password, the email attached to the account is from 2001, it was a ZDnet email address I got for my work as a forums moderator for this site between 2001 and 2004. (Gamespot used to be on ZDnet) I cannot access it.  In any fashion, it does not exist.  What I need is quite simple, I need to be able to get my email address changed.  We used to be able to do that ourselves before this error came up if our email addy needed to be revalidated, I have done it before on other accounts.  But I cannot do that because of the error we've been dealing with lately, that is still not resolved.

If needed I can provide the email and pasword, and I can go make a new email address to replace it if an admin could do that for me.

I have been locked out for over a year and I would really appreciate some direct assistance.

Thank you.

RandoIphF

I don't think you can use a zdnet email acount to register on GS anymore.I suggest ot create a new email account.

RandoIphF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RandoIphF
I don't think you can use a zdnet email acount to register on GS anymore.I suggest ot create a new email account.super600
The account was registered with it in 2002. I am aware it needs to be changed, and this is the problem. I can easily create a new email account, but I am unable to change my accounts email because when I try to sign into it I get the "enter both a valid email AND a password" glitch, at which my point my only option is to have GS send me a password change email, which can ONLY go to the now non-existent ZDnet email address. I cannot change my email address on that account until I can reset my password and log in, but the password reset email only goes to the ZDnet email account that does't exist anymore and needs to be changed. Savvy?
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

[QUOTE="super600"]I don't think you can use a zdnet email acount to register on GS anymore.I suggest ot create a new email account.RandoIphF
The account was registered with it in 2002. I am aware it needs to be changed, and this is the problem. I can easily create a new email account, but I am unable to change my accounts email because when I try to sign into it I get the "enter both a valid email AND a password" glitch, at which my point my only option is to have GS send me a password change email, which can ONLY go to the now non-existent ZDnet email address. I cannot change my email address on that account until I can reset my password and log in, but the password reset email only goes to the ZDnet email account that does't exist anymore and needs to be changed. Savvy?

It's impossible to change your previous account's email address without first signing into the account. An admin can probably get into your account if you give them your previous account's username and change it for you.

dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#5 dab198
Member since 2003 • 3934 Posts

Your only course of action is to contact Customer Service. They're the only people who can help you with this.

RandoIphF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RandoIphF
I tried that before, they seemed to not understand that I was not trying to access someone else's account, but my own. But I will try yet again to explain it yet again. I was hoping to get more direct person to person assistance from an admin on the forums who actually knows whats what.
dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dab198

That's the thing, there aren't staff on the boards that can directly help with this. This board's for technical issues, rather than account difficulties.

When you do contact customer service, you could always suggest that they speak to Synthia to get clarification on how emails are setup for volunteer moderators, as the system hasn't really changed.

I can see from their point of view that they'd want some proof that you're trying to access your own old account, but I don't know how to go about that.

RandoIphF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RandoIphF

That's the thing, there aren't staff on the boards that can directly help with this. This board's for technical issues, rather than account difficulties.

When you do contact customer service, you could always suggest that they speak to Synthia to get clarification on how emails are setup for volunteer moderators, as the system hasn't really changed.

I can see from their point of view that they'd want some proof that you're trying to access your own old account, but I don't know how to go about that.

dab198
Well it was different for me than it is for any mods today. Mods today make their own accounts and they later become moderators. This account I am trying to get back into was created by an admin for me because I was a mod on the old featureless ZDnet boards, (we didn't even have avatars back then) and they were using us to beta test the new Lithium run boards. I didn't set this email. I just never bothered to change it either. The real core problem is related tot he community directly though, and that is the continued persistence of the log in glitch that requires certain accounts to change their password. If not for that, when I tried to log in I would be notified I was logging in with an unverified account and allowed to change the email myself BEFORE using the password change option. GS needs to look into setting up alternative means of changing passwords, such as security questions, if they are not going to be able to ever resolve the particular log in issue described in the thread title.
dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dab198

Well it was different for me than it is for any mods today.RandoIphF
The email situation is exactly the same for mods today; I should know, I am one after all!

The fact still remains regardless that the only people who can change the email address on your account is customer support. The login issue itself is thought to be resolved, and we're not getting lots of reports from users with problems now.  You're a special case.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts
Thanks for the direct link to customer service, dab. Got it all sorted out.