lurkyuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lurkyuk
Member since 2005 • 101 Posts

I have a list of websites that I visit once a day when I'm bored and Gamespot has been one of them for years. I'm deleting it from the list today because I'm fed up of all the autoplaying videos with sound. Half of the pages on this site have a video that plays automatically and it's really annoying. Reading about Gabe Newell earlier and I made the mistake of scrolling down too far and it starts to play a Super Mario video, again, with bloody sound. I hope you tone these down in future but for now I'll stick with another gaming website.

angerawr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: -1

#2  Edited By angerawr
Member since 2016 • 220 Posts

Thanks so much, I totally understand your frustration. We are looking into ways to address this but it may take some time to get it implemented. Sorry this answer is not much of an answer. We really appreciate your patience in this and are making moves to address your concerns.

dragoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dragoonmike
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts

i'm more mad at you click on a story and a different story then what you picked pops up.

sith_acolyte15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sith_acolyte15
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

It's almost amusing how long the "we are looking into it" line has been used on this site. It's the same issues for months or years on end.

Klevmore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Klevmore
Member since 2010 • 142 Posts

Yeah, I'm done with this website for now. When this auto play crap is removed, I'll add it back to my bookmarks bar. I can't handle this crap anymore.

flipovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By flipovic
Member since 2017 • 9 Posts

I must say I empathize with you, good sir, more than once was I taking a good dump and out of nowhere a stupid video starts playing with loud sounds and I'm all like...man, people will think that I'm having good times in here! =| I just want some nice fast scrolling through some news before the dump is ready to deploy...

magichimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 magichimp
Member since 2017 • 3 Posts

I have not had any issues with ads or videos, however.. I had a hard time registering for some reason, I had to do 20 captchas before I realized this was a bug, I had to try two other browsers before I could proceed to register.

angerawr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: -1

#9 angerawr
Member since 2016 • 220 Posts

@magichimp: Thanks for reporting this. We are aware of a recaptcha bug and it should be fixed by the end of the week. Let us know if you're still having problems with it

BeefoTheBold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 BeefoTheBold
Member since 2009 • 1502 Posts

@angerawr said:

Thanks so much, I totally understand your frustration. We are looking into ways to address this but it may take some time to get it implemented. Sorry this answer is not much of an answer. We really appreciate your patience in this and are making moves to address your concerns.

While I appreciate the fact that someone from Gamespot actually responded on this issue about a half a year back. This is the fourth thread I've found on the front page of the site about autoplay videos with no option to toggle them off.

It's an issue that goes back nearly three years at this point. The idea that it's just taking time to be implemented basically sounds like horseshit at this point if you'll forgive the vulgarity. GS has been given time. Autoplay videos are still a thing regardless of innumerable complaints on the subject.

xekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xekon
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

You can resolve the autoplay issues by installing the firefox addon "NoScript". As far as I can tell none of the videos are auto playing for me. In no script I whitelisted "gamespot.com", google.com, and googleapis.com but did not whitelist any of the others.

OH! look at that, looks like maybe you can just disable them here now: https://www.gamespot.com/forums/bug-reporting-feedback-1000006/how-to-disable-video-autoplay-in-articles-33442137/

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

This site is a joke. Just look at their stock price as advertised in this very thread.

3 and a half stars is also pretty generous. At that price, I'd say 2 and a half is more honest.