Reviews no longer Right-Click'able 2 open in a NewBrowserTab

This topic is locked from further discussion.

theGerman5113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 theGerman5113
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

As the Title says, because of the way GS re-did the site's

Reviews

(other articles are also affected)

are no longer right-clck'able and therefore one cannot for example go to your Newly Posted Reviews and open the individual Reviews one is interested in a new browsing tab.

This problem is due to the addition of all this eyecandy and of course, Flash.

Flash does not give you the normal hyperlinking right-click open in a new tab option.

A way to fix this would be to add/replace an HTML (non flash) hyperlink above the review that includes the game title just the way it is now.

Personally, I do (sorry, did; I no longer do) this on both GameSpot and IGN: I find the review I am interested in (sometimes 10 reviews at a time), open them in new tabs and put each game's review from the respective site next to one another. Either right away, or throughout the day I watch/read one review after another. I do not want to have to constantly hit the Back button on the Browser, risk loosing my place, or you posting new reviews that push the ones I am still interested in off the main page.

I have many many other complaints about how the site was redone and have encountered even more bugs, crashes and slowness. I understand that putting up a new site or redesigning is not easy, but please, before you add anymore features or eyecandy, please take a look at what needs fixed.

Tested on IE9, IE10, FF 23-24 and newest Chrome.

Who else feels this way regarding the inability to open stuff in new browser tabs via right-click?

theGerman5113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By theGerman5113
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Umm... Bump???

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Could you post a picture because I really don't know what area you're talking about, I've just tried right clicking tons of elements and they all work fine.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -3

#4  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

I typically use ctrl+click if I want to open something in a new tab, rather than using the context menu, but even looking for things that the context menu doesn't show up on I'm not finding anything that could possibly cause this problem using chrome. A screenshot would probably be useful.

twztid13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By twztid13
Member since 2009 • 2012 Posts

@theGerman5113 said:

As the Title says, because of the way GS re-did the site's

Reviews

(other articles are also affected)

are no longer right-clck'able and therefore one cannot for example go to your Newly Posted Reviews and open the individual Reviews one is interested in a new browsing tab.

This problem is due to the addition of all this eyecandy and of course, Flash.

Flash does not give you the normal hyperlinking right-click open in a new tab option.

A way to fix this would be to add/replace an HTML (non flash) hyperlink above the review that includes the game title just the way it is now.

Personally, I do (sorry, did; I no longer do) this on both GameSpot and IGN: I find the review I am interested in (sometimes 10 reviews at a time), open them in new tabs and put each game's review from the respective site next to one another. Either right away, or throughout the day I watch/read one review after another. I do not want to have to constantly hit the Back button on the Browser, risk loosing my place, or you posting new reviews that push the ones I am still interested in off the main page.

I have many many other complaints about how the site was redone and have encountered even more bugs, crashes and slowness. I understand that putting up a new site or redesigning is not easy, but please, before you add anymore features or eyecandy, please take a look at what needs fixed.

Tested on IE9, IE10, FF 23-24 and newest Chrome.

Who else feels this way regarding the inability to open stuff in new browser tabs via right-click?

I do 100%. That is driving me away most, as I don't want to have to do all my browsing through a single GS window. How could anyone think that was a good idea?

And for those not understanding, on the main page, if I saw a headline, I could right-click, open in new window. Now, that option doesn't work. Even on YouTube, you can click on the pic of the video to open in new window & have several windows open at a time. 85% of the time, I use one hand to browse the web with my mouse, so keyboard shortcuts are useless. I'm not willing to change my habits. It's easier to change websites, tbh.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#6 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

All the headlines/video images with the exception of the few embedded videos, which all have an appropriate right-clickable link right next to them that works for this purpose anyway, have right-click context menus for me - I still don't see any inability to open things via right click context menu on the new site, at least not in chrome or firefox 24. I've checked quite a few pages now and have been unable to reproduce this for any element with the exception of videos themselves - all of which have a link next to them or underneath them that prevents that from being an issue. Either I'm somehow missing the problem consistently, which seems unlikely, or there's some settings difference that is causing this to affect a subsection of users only.

If you have particularly old systems with an outdated graphics card then it's possible that some html5 features that your card/browser doesn't support are being supplemented with flash (some things on the site, such as the video players themselves, use flash regardless, but most of it doesn't) for some reason, which would cause something like what is mentioned here. I'm rather skeptical on that being the case though, as while it is feasible, it's somewhat far-fetched/rather unlikely.

As I already mentioned, a screenshot would be useful.

s_h_a_d_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7 s_h_a_d_o
Member since 2004 • 1317 Posts

@robbristow said:

I typically use ctrl+click if I want to open something in a new tab, rather than using the context menu...