Recommendations for the top reviewers emblem - Update

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts

The following users have received a new reviewers emblem, or they might have had a change to Top 100 if they had the Top 500 contributors achievement.

The Top 100 reviewers emblem went to: Bioshockraptor, yokofox33, Tikicobra, cyberpixie, DraugenCP, Raikoh_, and gbrading

The Top 500 reviewers emblem went to: akhorahill, Cloud_765, Daavpuke, dapman418, gamefreak197, julianozuca, kjhg53, Out-Of-Ammo, , TheKungFool, and TristanH12.

Those who already had the top 500 emblem were recommended for a re-evalution, and it turns out they are eligible for the Top 100: asian_pride69, Domstercool, gdw0908, Gelugon_baat, stephenage, calvinsora, and Pierst179.

We held off on considering the following recommended users due to them not updating any user reviews in the past 6+ months: RidersInThe-Sky, maryalex, KH-mixerH, kevin091, and dannyodwyer. If these users begin contributing with current user reviews feel free to recommend them again in this thread because we think they have potential!

==============================================

How to make a recommendation!

The player review emblems are hand picked by the Community Team to avoid any emblem exploits such as disruptive posting and to highlight the best writers in the community. The users who are selected are often featured in the Weekly Community News Report too.

If you have a recommendation on an excellent review writer or video reviews uploader please use this thread to alert us.

Guidelines
1| Please be very clear about who you are recommending and if it is a VIDEO or WRITTEN review emblem. Now that we have a video reviewer emblem on the way, it is best to mention that you want us to check their user videos and not their user reviews.

2| Please link to the user's contributions page for written reviews and link to their video reviews if you are recommending them as a user video.

3| If you plan to recommend yourself recommend someone else with your rsubmission. Otherwise, this becomes a self-centered thread, which is not the purpose of bringing awareness to good writers.

4) Make sure the user has updated a review in the past 6 months. Some recommendations in the last batch had users who have not posted a review in 6+ months. We often remove the Top 100 or Top 500 emblems from users who have not updated their reviews in a year, and these users are granted the Grandfather emblem category (top 1000 review) for not being active. We use the Top 100 or Top 500 status in community news updates. Therefore, it is best to recommend people who post a review at least once every few months.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Do I need to be recommended to receive an emblems?
A. It's possible to get the emblem without being recommended. This thread is just for suggestions.

Q. Can I recommend myself?
A. Of course! Recommending yourself is a good place to start. Before recommending yourself try to hunt down other users to post with your recommendations. Be sure to recommend users who have6 or more written reviews or video reviews.

Q. Many people have recommended me! I deserve an emblem.
A. Recommending someone does not mean that they will receive an emblem. The community team are the one that makes a decision based on secret criteria.

Q. Why haven't I received an emblem?
A. We cannot share the criteria about how to receive a review emblem. Do some investigation! Check to see who has the emblem and then read their writing style and/or quality to your own. Grammar and spelling errors may be considered when we investigate a user's written review.

Q. What is the difference between the emblems?
A. The Top 100 are more prolific. The Top 500 user may not have enough written reviews or they need to step it up on their writing skills. Video review emblem require enough videos to be considered. There is also the grandfather Top 1,000 reviews emblem if you happen to no longer post reviews after a year, but that's not something to be proud of. It means you're a slacker that once had the Top 100 or Top 500 emblem.

Q. I want an emblem, give me an emblem, check out my reviews right away!
A. When you post your recommendations do not pester and private message staff or contact the moderators to check out your user reviews. This thread is the appropriate place to post your suggestions. The timeline on knowing when you'll recieve an emblem is anywhere between 30 and 90 days of the thread creation. Thanks for your cooperation in this matter.

asian_pride69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 asian_pride69
Member since 2006 • 17141 Posts
Woo so happy to get my Top 100 emblem. Thanks! I need to start getting more prolific with reviews then! Are recommendations still open? I have a couple of people in mind.
stephenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#3 stephenage
Member since 2007 • 33416 Posts

Top 100! That is really awesome, also props to my man Dapman for making the top 500.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#4 Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

Thanks for elevating me to the owners of the Top 100 emblems, Jody!

Oddly enough, I now have both types of user reviewer emblems - not that I have any aversion to that though. :P

UPDATE: The emblems have since been fixed for me.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#5 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Awesome that I got the Top 100 emblem, so thanks for that. Definitely helps motivate me to write some more reviews.

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JodyR

Woo so happy to get my Top 100 emblem. Thanks! I need to start getting more prolific with reviews then! Are recommendations still open? I have a couple of people in mind.asian_pride69
Yes, please :D Might take us a month to review them though.

dapman418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dapman418
Member since 2009 • 14899 Posts

Top 100! That is really awesome, also props to my man Dapman for making the top 500.

stephenage

Thank you, good sir. And congrats to you, my other friends, and anyone else who received an emblem!

T-Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#8 T-Prime
Member since 2003 • 995 Posts

I got my Top 1000 emblem upgraded to a Top 500, but I'm not listed. (I assume I'm supposed to be listed before TheKungFool up top?)

This is awesome! I like reviewing games, but I don't want to drive myself too hard into keeping a Top 100 that I know I'd lose. I'm not that prolific a writer, but I still like doing it. Thanks, Jody.

mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#9 mariostar0001
Member since 2009 • 46245 Posts
And I know so many of those too, cool. :D
Bioshockraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#10 Bioshockraptor
Member since 2008 • 21483 Posts
I am really honoured to be in the top 100, but at first I didn't even think it was legit-- I thought it was a glitch in the system. Looks like I had better get back to work with those reviews if I want to stay in the top 100!
LGTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#11 LGTX
Member since 2009 • 858 Posts

Congratulations to many of my buddies here, and not only, for getting the emblems. And thanks for letting me keep mine as well GS, I understand things need to compensate during such give-aways, and I haven't been particularly active lately, at least until now.

dapman418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dapman418
Member since 2009 • 14899 Posts

How many users have these emblems so far?

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#13 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Seeing as we've started a new round, I would like to recommend 1PMrFister for the reviewers emblem (for written reviews). He hasn't been active for long, as he decided to join this website in the autumn of 2010 (invited by yours truly 8)), but he has written some pretty amazing reviews since then, some of which easily rank among the best I've read in this site's user section. Some examples:

Trauma Team

Metroid: Other M

And view his contributions page here.

gamefreak197

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 157

#14 gamefreak197
Member since 2009 • 146 Posts

Sweet. Top 500 :)

Sagacious_Tien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#15 Sagacious_Tien
Member since 2005 • 12562 Posts
Im still in Top 100! Yay! Now, just need to keep doing reviews. :)
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#16 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

I miss having a Top 500 emblem. Now I have a grandfathered Top 1000. I'd like to have that Top 500 emblem again.

asian_pride69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17 asian_pride69
Member since 2006 • 17141 Posts

I recommend bowlingotter for a top reviewers emblem. His reviews are well-written, and he qualifies for it with 8. I'm sure he'll be writing more reviews in the future. :)

I would recommend the other two I ran into, but they've been inactive for sometime now.

taxonomic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#18 taxonomic
Member since 2009 • 1107 Posts

I'd like to recommend myself. I know it's silly, but I am constantly getting PMs from people who love my quality reviews. Many of them are the best ranked on the site. (Also, JodyR tracks my contributions, so I know I'm not too bad)

I even got a job reviewing games at another site as a staff member thanks to them seeing the work I did here.

I would also like to recommend Technologodoom

He's the only reviewer that I make it a point to go and read as soon as something is uploaded from them.

EDIT: These are *Written* reviews.

Gothic 4 (PC)

River of Time (PC)

Mount & Blade WB (PC)

Divinity 2 (PC)

Risen (PC)

Call of Pripyat (PC)

Temple of Elemental Evil (PC)

Korubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Korubi
Member since 2003 • 261 Posts

Hi there, I'd love to be reconsidered for the Top 500 or Top 100 emblem. If I remember correctly, I used to have a Top 100 emblem when I was most active as a reviewer on the site. I have been reduced to Top 1000 for some time now.

I'm probably not as active right now as you'd like a reviewer to be for the Top 100 or Top 500 emblems, but hopefully you will consider me for my quality over my quantity-- for enriching the GameSpot community by providing the best reviews I could muster on a consistent basis for almost two years (I remember even winning the top spot in the infamous "ReviewSpotting" contest in General Game Discussion on a few occasions). I spent hours poring over those reviews-- even though they may not be the most current, they are no less helpful to those looking for a quality opinion on a classic game.

Link: Korubi's Reviews

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

Hi there, I'd love to be reconsidered for the Top 500 or Top 100 emblem. If I remember correctly, I used to have a Top 100 emblem when I was most active as a reviewer on the site. I have been reduced to Top 1000 for some time now.

I'm probably not as active right now as you'd like a reviewer to be for the Top 100 or Top 500 emblems, but hopefully you will consider me for my quality over my quantity-- for enriching the GameSpot community by providing the best reviews I could muster on a consistent basis for almost two years (I remember even winning the top spot in the infamous "ReviewSpotting" contest in General Game Discussion on a few occasions). I spent hours poring over those reviews-- even though they may not be the most current, they are no less helpful to those looking for a quality opinion on a classic game.

Korubi
You should know that your profile is set to private.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

[QUOTE="Korubi"]

Crimsader

Staff can see them though;)

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

[QUOTE="Crimsader"][QUOTE="Korubi"]

Dracula68

Staff can see them though;)

Yeah, but what's the point of his reviews when nobody can read them?
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#23 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
If I didn't just barely crack the top 500, I hope to kick it up and make top 100 in the future. Thank you very much for adding me to the top 500, it means a lot! :D
Bamul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#24 Bamul
Member since 2008 • 2688 Posts

I feel really stupid doing this, but... I want to recommend myself. :P I've been writing reviews for quite a while now and I finally feel that maybe my writing skills are good enough for an emblem (but that's up to you guys, the GS staff, not me). ;) There are two reasons for me doing this: one, I am jealous of this emblem as more than few peole I know have gotten it and two, I hope it will bring more attention to my reviews and more people will read them. Oh, and the last reason I forgot to mention, I just really want the emblem. :lol: Also, I hope my age and country of orgin (I'm fourteen years old and not English) don't have any impact on the chances of earning this meaningful award, as I've only known this language for four years and I'm trying my best to get better and better with each new review, story or whatever else it is that I am writing at the moment. :( Anyway, I would like to suggest four of my (in my opinion) best reviews, listed in no particular order - with links included:

• Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Review
  • Mafia II Review
  • Fallout: New Vegas Review
  • Red Dead Redemption Review

IMPORTANT NOTICE: My reviews are all written and, as most of you probably know, there is no such thing as a non-biased review; my reviews include a lot of opinion. Also, I don't put spoilers into my reviews either because that would be, well, just nasty. :P

I'm sorry for not recommending any specific person, however I would like to suggest looking through the GameSpot Reviewers Union, as there is a lot of talented writers there.

Thank you for reading this, and what more can I say? I'm hoping for the best. :)

Musambani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 Musambani
Member since 2010 • 399 Posts

I reccommend Taxonomic for the Top 100 emblem, which was a very easy choice. He speaks honestly in every review, outlining facts and truths while keeping it simple. His sophistication when it comes to writing and his passion of games is, quite frankly, unsurpassable. He is a 20+ year veteran of the hobby as well, and knows exactly what he's talking about

As someone who's been watching him write reviews since he first joined, and then seeing how much hits he has been gaining over time as well as the fact his reviews are getting published on other critic sites, he is definitely not one to go unnoticed.

Some of his finest work can be seen here, all of them are Written Reviews.

Sacred 2

Heavy Rain

Drakensang: The Dark Eye

Drakensang: The River of Time

Arcania: Gothic 4

Resonance of Fate(/End of Eternity for JP)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Crysis 2

And last but not least, Dragon Age 2.

He always hits the nail on the head with his reviews, perfectly. A review should never be about an opinion, it should always be about the facts of the game. A true reviewer can do this calmly and intelligently.

Taxonomic is one of these people, and that is why he gets my support.

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#26 TerraMantis
Member since 2009 • 130 Posts

I'd like to recommend myself. I know it's silly, but I am constantly getting PMs from people who love my quality reviews. Many of them are the best ranked on the site. (Also, JodyR tracks my contributions, so I know I'm not too bad)

I even got a job reviewing games at another site as a staff member thanks to them seeing the work I did here.

I would also like to recommend Technologodoom

He's the only reviewer that I make it a point to go and read as soon as something is uploaded from them.

EDIT: These are *Written* reviews.

Gothic 4 (PC)

River of Time (PC)

Mount & Blade WB (PC)

Divinity 2 (PC)

Risen (PC)

Call of Pripyat (PC)

Temple of Elemental Evil (PC)

taxonomic

I Agree with this, Taxonomic and Techologodoom are really the only two people I follow on the site. As a frequent Gamespot visitor I cannot help but read user reviews. If you spend enough time on GS and are paying attention to quality reviews it is only a matter of time before you realize a pattern. This pattern is that you have been frequenting taxonomic's and Technologodoom's written reviews because of the reliable consistency to fair and thorough critiques. On more than one occasion their words have changed my perspective and or influenced me to play/buy or not to play/buy a game. The signs of a truely worthwhile reviewer.

weedman1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#27 weedman1985
Member since 2008 • 345 Posts

I too, nominate Taxonomic for receiving the top 100 reviewer emblem. I've been a frequent visitor to Gamespot over the last 8 years and without a doubt, Taxonomic has some of the best user reviews I have ever read on this website.

He might be a little harsh on developers, but that's because he is a passionate guy who takes gaming very seriously.

His reviews accurately portray the state of the game without omitting any details. They are informative, well written, well constructed, and are always backed up by facts or impressions that he got from playing the game. I think it would be a shame to let someone possessing such talent not be recognized by Gamespot and considered one of Gamespot's finest reviewers.

jepsen1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28 jepsen1977
Member since 2004 • 75 Posts

I too would like to vote for Taxonomic to get a Top Reviewer Emblem. Not only does he write long thoughtful reviews that must have taken a lot of time and care to write but he is also concise and accurate in his reviews. He always backs up his criticisms with facts and he never lets his own bias influence the final score of a game. So his reviews are never just a matter of subjective opinion but is elevated to a higher and more critical point where the reader can follow his logic and then decide if we agree with Taxonomic or not. He clearly has the experience to back up his claims and it's a pleasure to read his reviews.

hyttenhoof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 hyttenhoof
Member since 2009 • 320 Posts

I'd also like to recommend Taxanomic.

As an active member on gamespot, I have yet to see anyone who writes with as much detail and thought as him. That aside, he has more experience to draw on than most people.

One of the best parts of his reviews is that he tries out the material thoroughly before making a judgement, instead of just playing the first two levels, followed by a review that's two lines long and contains pure hype.

I can especially recommend his review of Drakensang, Arcania, and Risen.

Bamul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bamul

A review should never be about an opinion, it should always be about the facts of the game.Musambani

I don't know what Taxonomic's reviews are like since I have never read any of his work, but if what I have quoted from a post about him is true - it doesn't seem to me that he is worthy of any recognition. "A review should never be about an opinion", this statement is absolutely wrong. A review IS an opinion. If a review is all about the facts and no opinions, then it is not a review at all... it's a summary. :P I'm sorry if it seems like I am trying to stop Taxonomic from getting the emblem because that is not what I am trying to do. What I'm saying is that reviews are opinions, and if he really does write without opinion then his reviews are worth nothing. :( However, it is most likely that his reviews are of good quality and the recommendation made by Musambani is simply a bit wrong. :P

I apologize if this is a bit too off-topic and to even that out, I would like to ask the GS staff/mods one thing about these recommendations: if you recommend yourself, will you get a message saying that your reviews have been read but you weren't picked?

hyttenhoof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 hyttenhoof
Member since 2009 • 320 Posts

[QUOTE="Musambani"]A review should never be about an opinion, it should always be about the facts of the game.Bamul

I don't know what Taxonomic's reviews are like since I have never read any of his work, but if what I have quoted from a post about him is true - it doesn't seem to me that he is worthy of any recognition. "A review should never be about an opinion", this statement is absolutely wrong. A review IS an opinion. If a review is all about the facts and no opinions, then it is not a review at all... it's a summary. :P I'm sorry if it seems like I am trying to stop Taxonomic from getting the emblem because that is not what I am trying to do. What I'm saying is that reviews are opinions, and if he really does write without opinion then his reviews are worth nothing. :( However, it is most likely that his reviews are of good quality and the recommendation made by Musambani is simply a bit wrong. :P

I apologize if this is a bit too off-topic and to even that out, I would like to ask the GS staff/mods one thing about these recommendations: if you recommend yourself, will you get a message saying that your reviews have been read but you weren't picked?

I think he means a review shouldn't be clouded by bias.

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#32 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
A review is still an opinion most of the time. It's best to add as many facts as possible but when it all boils down the entertainment value of a game is nerely completely the opinion of the reviewer, and whether something feels right or doesn't feel right, etc. What's important is you have to be as professional as possible.
Bamul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bamul

It's been over a month since I made a recommendation. If it is possible, I'd like to know if my post was considered for the emblem or not. I understand if the members of GS staff or the mods are unable to answer at this time, but once they can, I'd really like to know this.

Thanks in advance.

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JodyR

Hello peeps! There are plans to review this after E3. We thank you for your patience during this time.

Bamul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Bamul

Thanks for the update.

charlie_killer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#37 charlie_killer
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

I would like to recommend myself! :D

I have written roughly 26 reviews and i have made a total of four video reviews. It's hard work, but it's worth it 8)

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#38 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

Looks like this thread could use a restart. Lets make a new one shall we ;)