I'm currently not seeing the day/night mode toggle in the website's header.

Skrapshak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Skrapshak
Member since 2003 • 150 Posts

I noticed today that the toggle for day/night or light/dark mode has disappeared from the Gamespot website's header.

I really enjoyed the feature. The last time that I can say that I saw it there would be Thursday June 15, 2017 (5 days ago).

I do not see the feature in current versions of Firefox, Chrome, MS Edge, and IE 11

Skrapshak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Skrapshak

I will chalk this up to poor website design.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Same. Thankfully I still have it on night mode. The paragraph box, where you type, is white though. Tough on the eyes.

Skrapshak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Skrapshak

I did find on another of my computers that the Microsoft Edge browser is still displaying Gamespot in night mode. My thinking is that it is using an old browser cookie to get it to display that way.

It is still not showing the toggle switch, however.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@SOedipus said:

Same. Thankfully I still have it on night mode. The paragraph box, where you type, is white though. Tough on the eyes.

I'm experiencing the same problem.

Using Win 10 and Chrome. Latest update I believe.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#6 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Yup, same problem. Might be linked to the new post editing box, which now has a white background instead of a dark one.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Please fix, please ! I hate this bright option, i'm a vampire.

angerawr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: -1

#8 angerawr
Member since 2016 • 220 Posts

You can still use the light/dark toggle from the settings page: https://www.gamespot.com/profile/settings/

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#9 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts
@angerawr said:

You can still use the light/dark toggle from the settings page: https://www.gamespot.com/profile/settings/

Gotcha. Cheers.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LexLas

@angerawr said:

Yes, i got a message from the mods. So happy we are able to go back to the dark theme. it makes all the difference in the world. Thanks

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#11 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@angerawr said:

the text field for replying seems to be on light even if you are on the dark theme

Skrapshak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Skrapshak

Thanks for the tip angerawr.

Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of hiding that feature behind account authentication. Also, I logged in, went into my account settings, turned on dark mode, and then I hit the Save button. When I logged in today, I have to do it again.

So when I log into a different browser, I still have to go into my settings and toggle dark mode. Why do I "Save" the preference to my account, if it isn't a preference that is enabled wherever I log in?

A simple, front-facing, one-click feature, that many of the Gamespot community love, is now hidden behind login (two clicks, and entering credentials), go to settings and hit toggle and save (another 3 clicks), then click back to the homepage (1 more click).

At least when Eddie is going for clicks, it is for content, not to push someone to authenticate into the site.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SOedipus

@angerawr said:

Is there a way to make it so that when you save the option, it stays saved? When I sign into another computer I have to go into settings and save it again. I don't understand who thought it was a good idea to remove such a convenient feature.

Skrapshak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Skrapshak

I've chalked it up to poor website design. So poor, that the last time that I posted that I chalked it up to poor web design, the post wasn't posted. Even though I had set it to the "Best Answer".

angerawr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By angerawr

@SOedipus: Currently the settings are saved within your cookies, but we are working on a way to have it save based on when you login.

Skrapshak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Skrapshak

I still don't agree with the feature being hidden behind a login. With no evidence of it if you aren't logged in.

To some, the ability to put a website into a dark/night mode is an Accessibility Feature, i.e. - folks that suffer from macular degeneration.

But with your defense of, what is in my opinion, the poor execution of your change, I wager we don't see "eye-to-eye" on the topic.

Skrapshak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Skrapshak

@angerawr

Hey there,

Just checking in to see how it is going with trying to get the account setting for dark mode to "Stick" when enabled and Saved when I'm logged in. At this time, I am still forced to go into my account settings every time that I visit the page to toggle on dark mode.

It would be much simpler, and less frustrating, if the setting for a dark/night mode were on the home page where I could have quick access to the setting when I first visit the website.

angerawr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 angerawr

@Skrapshak: It's going to take a bit of time to fit into our dev cycle. We plan to have it save it per account so once you login it should revert to your preferred theme. I will update this thread once it gets implemented.

angerawr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 angerawr

@SOedipus: We have just updated this so that the light/dark control is saved across your account. You may have to set it and save it once as we have changed the way we save this from cookies to database controls. Thanks!

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LexLas

I see it, it looks different, and even though i place it in dark, it dont' work no more ! Help !

Loading Video...

bfa1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 bfa1509
Member since 2011 • 1058 Posts

@angerawr:

I checked the box for Dark theme but it didnt do anything...

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@bfa1509 said:

@angerawr:

I checked the box for Dark theme but it didnt do anything...

I check the box for light theme and am still in the dark. Tried switching it to dark, applying, then back to light and applying, and still no light theme.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10438 Posts

@angerawr: perma light theme here. won't change back?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@Macutchi said:

@angerawr: perma light theme here. won't change back?

After changing it in my profile settings, I surfed around maybe a half dozen pages on the site and it just randomly switched back. Maybe some kind of delay for effect.

angerawr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 angerawr

@br0kenrabbit: So sorry there's a bit of a caching problem, give it some time and it should change to dark theme. Sorry for the inconvenience!

angerawr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By angerawr

@bfa1509: You will have to scroll to the bottom and click save. Apologies we have a bit of a caching issue, so please check back in a couple hours to see if the dark theme is saved.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

Don't know what you guys just did but my theme is switching back and forth between light and dark and I never changed my settings to light.

angerawr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By angerawr

@suicidesn0wman: So sorry, because we switched it from a cookie save to a database save - everyone was reverted to light theme until they change it in settings. Because of the caching issue, will take a bit of time before the dark theme saves.

[edit: we are rolling back these changes as there were a lot of issues, we will fix this and release again later]

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SOedipus

@angerawr said:

@SOedipus: We have just updated this so that the light/dark control is saved across your account. You may have to set it and save it once as we have changed the way we save this from cookies to database controls. Thanks!

Thank you for the update.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@angerawr: This seems to be a recurring theme at gamespot, need to hire better programmers! :D

Skrapshak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Skrapshak

@angerawr Thanks. While I am glad to see that you've gotten the account preference sorted out, I still don't believe that the dark mode feature of the website should solely be hidden behind the site's login/account prefs. It is my belief that the toggle should still be available in the website's header, as well as account authentication preferences. Having the toggle at the top of the page surfaces the feature to new visitors, and having it as an account preference caters to your returning website account holders. Win-Win! :)

In it's current state, how would a new visitor know that the Gamespot website has a dark mode?

I only know about the feature because I used to come here frequently, and it is a feature that I used whether I was logging in for some quality time with Gamespot, or when I was just popping in for a quick peek without logging in.

A poor website UX is poor website design.

I hope that I haven't offended. That was not my intention.

Good luck. Have fun!

DAOWAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 DAOWAce
Member since 2003 • 800 Posts

Standard feature of gamespot, now locked behind an account? Without notice of it changing?

Okay then..

Pain on the eyes coming here and seeing it white, then having to search the forum to find out what the heck happened.

I mean I barely visit Gamespot nowadays anyway (as of the design overhaul years ago which pretty much ruined the point of the site for me), but I still visit from gamefaqs news links to check out interesting articles, so I still care somewhat.

Pre-Edit: Oh and we can't post with adblock enabled, as I discovered after writing out my post and had to find ANOTHER thread talking about this. Now I care even less about the site..

s1taz4a3l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 s1taz4a3l
Member since 2015 • 918 Posts

Over one week and no fix, why do we need to be logged to gamespot to be able to view content on Dark mode.

Bring back the day/night toggle please.

Skrapshak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Skrapshak

I don't suppose that anyone here is handy with creating 'Stylish' themes for websites?

There are a few "dark Gamespot" themes at the userstyles website, but they are older or to touch up Gamespot's dark mode.

It would be a good fix for not having the toggle on the home page.