Gamespot can you please stop getting sportsline to spy on my computer.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Fud_Sang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Fud_Sang
Member since 2015 • 525 Posts

Seriously, I can't even access your site with peerblock on. That tells me volumes. This is a site reporting on cutting edge tech both software and hardware. So no doubt its administrators are well aware of the rampant and despicable breaches in the privacy of billions of internet users every single day. I would like to believe that anyone involved in this world would find such breaches distasteful and not wish to partake in such borderline criminal activity. I am probably not alone in wondering why sportsline wants to look at my computer. If you allow them to do that surely you can give your users the reason why.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Just put the hat on bro and it'll all be ok.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@fud_sang said:

Seriously, I can't even access your site with peerblock on. That tells me volumes. This is a site reporting on cutting edge tech both software and hardware. So no doubt its administrators are well aware of the rampant and despicable breaches in the privacy of billions of internet users every single day. I would like to believe that anyone involved in this world would find such breaches distasteful and not wish to partake in such borderline criminal activity. I am probably not alone in wondering why sportsline wants to look at my computer. If you allow them to do that surely you can give your users the reason why.

Quick reality check here.

"Peerblock" is not an anti-malware app or suite like Symantec, McAffee, AdAware, AVG, etc. It's a firewall app that works off of blacklists, so if it blocks a website that's not because the website is doing something wrong, it's because it was added to one of its blacklists. Sportsline.com is a CBSi property, so it's not surprising that you'll see hits from an IP identified as Sportsline when accessing Gamespot (I believe they may share a media server).

"But Byshop", you might ask, "...doesn't it mean that if a site is on a blacklist that it did something wrong?"

No, because Peerblock isn't designed to protect your computer from malicious software. It's designed to hide your computer on the web while you do something that you probably shouldn't be doing. From Peerblock's own website, they block "governments, corporate entities, and those flagged for anti-p2p activities" which would also include a lot of law enforcement.

Now I have no idea if you spend your days pirating software with illegal torrents, but complaining to Gamespot that you can't access their site because because Peerblock won't let you is kind of like complaining to the police because your weed dealer ripped you off. FYI if you run Peerblock there are a -ton- of legit sites on the internet you won't be able to access, including anything to do with the movie or music industry because -again-, Peerblock's primary audience is people who like to steal from those industries.

So if you want to access Gamespot (or iTunes, or the MPAA website, or many online games, etc), then turn Peerblock off or whitelist Sportsline. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, we wish you the best of luck in finding a community that is more friendly to your likely illegal activity.

-Byshop

Fud_Sang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Fud_Sang
Member since 2015 • 525 Posts

See what I mean? Always informative. This site is awesome. I'm all about keeping it anon on the net. Privacy invasions are killing the internet. Can't really tell the bad from good anymore.