Clicking forum name brings me back to the home page

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

When in the forums, along the top of the screen (under the GS logo), there is something along the lines of:

Forum > Bug Reporting and Feedback, or Forum > Playstation discussion

Sorry, not sure what you call that "toolbar" or navigation....thing :)

When I click on "Bug Reporting and Feedback" or "Playstation discussion", instead of bringing me to the first page of that board, I get sent to the main GS home page.

To get around that, I'm clicking where it says "forum" and then have to go into the forum I was just in.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Grieverr

Interesting enough, below the last post of the page, the same navigation link (as I'll call it) is there. However, that one works properly.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By leon2365
Member since 2006 • 13096 Posts

seems to work fine for me. maybe @edgework

EDIT: for some reason my post got chopped up a bit. originally had "can help with this kind of thing?" was after the tag.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By rick
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

@Grieverr: Try running in Incognito (or private browsing) mode. I'll bet that will fix it and that means you have some crazy plugin being stupid.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

The problem (for me at least) is that the link in the Gamespot logo at the top overlaps the forum name.

I had my cursor at the middle of the "forum name" in the screenshot above. At the same height as the arrow is. You'll see at the bottom that by clicking it, it would direct me to the gamespot main page.

I have to have my cursor at the bottom half of the words to turn the words red and activate the link.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By leon2365

@killerfist said:

The problem (for me at least) is that the link in the Gamespot logo at the top overlaps the forum name.

I had my cursor at the middle of the "forum name" in the screenshot above. At the same height as the arrow is. You'll see at the bottom that by clicking it, it would direct me to the gamespot main page.

I have to have my cursor at the bottom half of the words to turn the words red and activate the link.

do you have ad-block on by chance? if so, that may be why those 2 links are so close together. since I don't use ad-block, I have an ad separating the 2 links by a good amount of space.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By rick
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

You clearly have ad-block turned on. We're expecting an ad up there to pad things. Like I said, you have a crazy plugin being stupid...

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 leon2365

@edgework said:

You clearly have ad-block turned on. We're expecting an ad up there to pad things. Like I said, you have a crazy plugin being stupid...

this could be the reason some people claim that the links don't work for them. maybe a post should be made to address that it isn't really a bug?

grumpytrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 grumpytrooper
Member since 2013 • 28 Posts

I see you are using Chrome (as I do) I had a plug in called Ad-Block and it did exactly the same thing, it was only when I got rid of that and installed Adblock plus that it was no longer an issue. Disable ad-block and search the extensions for ad-block plus and give that a try.

in fact just go here : https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Grieverr

Thank you, guys! I have ad-block as well and I can see that when I move the cursor in different parts of the forum name, the link changes between the home page and forum. I also don't have the ad between the GS logo and the forum name.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

@leon2365 said:

@edgework said:

this could be the reason some people claim that the links don't work for them. maybe a post should be made to address that it isn't really a bug?

I would suggest another solution:

Have AdBlock Plus, with Element Hiding Helper, block the GameSpot logo so that it doesn't obscure the forum header link.

(Of course, if you actually use the main page and rely on that logo to get there, you may not want to do this. Personally, I just use a bookmark to get to the main page when I do want to.)

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 leon2365

or also use the bottom link instead. I remember not too long ago, people were complaining that there was no link on the bottom, and that they hated having to scroll all the way to the top of the page. now that they have that one on the bottom, they would rather use the one on top.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

@leon2365 said:

or also use the bottom link instead. I remember not too long ago, people were complaining that there was no link on the bottom, and that they hated having to scroll all the way to the top of the page. now that they have that one on the bottom, they would rather use the one on top.

Wouldn't they have to scroll to the bottom too anyway? XD

(Alternatively, they could know that hitting "Ctrl" + "Home" or "End" can do the same trick of bringing them to top or bottom of the page. :P )

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 leon2365

@Gelugon_baat said:

@leon2365 said:

Wouldn't they have to scroll to the bottom too anyway? XD

(Alternatively, they could know that hitting "Ctrl" + "Home" or "End" can do the same trick of bringing them to top or bottom of the page. :P )

my point exactly. :P you'd think people wouldn't really mind so much.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 leon2365

@farrell2k: if you are using chrome, look at grumpytrooper's post and see if that helps.