Change to GameSpot Navigation Interface

• 113 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts

We've made some changes to the website pages with an updated navigation interface and brightened it up with the original GameSpot orange color. Please keep your feedback in this dedicated thread.

UPDATE (thanks to megagood)

- Log in from any page - now instead of going off to another page, you can do it from anywhere!
- My Games pulldown is back - we heard from a lot of users that what we called the "expanding user panel" wasn't working consistently, so we went back to having the My Games pulldown.
- Consistent navigation - As many users know, we have pages that vary in width. This masthead allows us to have a consistent navigation across the site, as well as make it wider and hold a few more things
- An easier search experience - having some content so close to search was making search harder to use
- General design improvement - make the division between navigation and content a little more intuitive
- A return to good ole GameSpot orange

caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts
Can the colour at the very top of the page be changed for a dark version of the site? It would be fine for anybody using the light theme, but it's way to bright for my dark liking :(
awesomejdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 awesomejdude
Member since 2008 • 4811 Posts

I don't really like it that much. It's big and too bright, even on the light theme.

LGTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#4 LGTX
Member since 2009 • 858 Posts

The new design looks great, many thanks from me. Although the white around the logo is a little bright for the dark version, it would be nice to have it a little darkened, and applied to the dark skin.

But otherwise, it's very clear and fresh-looking. The profile bar has become more spaced and easy to navigate, My Games scrollbar is neatly set.

Thanks again!

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts
Looks amazing THANK YOU. THANK YOU FOE HEARING THE CALLS AND ADDING ONE CLICK MY GAMES! Thank you !!!
dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#6 dab198
Member since 2003 • 3934 Posts

I hate the brightness. I use the dark theme for a reason.

As I've already said in another thread, the new shortened my games dropdown is a complete dealbreaker for me. It's pretty much useless to anyone with more than 10 games on their tracked games list.The new placement is helpful however, more like GS narrow, without having to constantly expand the updates bar first.

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AdamPA1006
[QUOTE="dab198"]I hate the brightness. I use the dark theme for a reason. As I've already said in another thread, the new shortened my games dropdown is a complete dealbreaker for me. It's pretty much useless to anyone with more than 10 games on their tracked games list.

Ya just noticed this. I'm sure this can be fixed though.
KOTORkicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 KOTORkicker
Member since 2007 • 4595 Posts
I think the opinion of the vast majority of GS is pretty much obvious now. Just go to OT and look at the thread there. I hate it too - it's just stupid and obnoxious imo. Also, could we get markop's request in the thread he made (which was locked) seen to? The one asking if we could have the old version in use for GS Ice users? I'm one, and I hate having to look at an orange and white GS tbh. >_>
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts

I actually like it. Though expect a lot of complaining because many feel its bright, very bright. So much so its like the sun and the longer you stare, the faster your eyes burn out. Just dim your monitors. Its not like the entire forum is bright. Though, it wouldnt hurt to darken the grey on the top banner a little for the dark theme.

Dj-Dark-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dj-Dark-1
Member since 2007 • 6377 Posts

In all honestly, I think the site's motion is lost its sync. In the old layout (the layout before today) everything moved in harmonic motion and was completely in sync - what I mean is that the layout was all joined together and moved perfectly. Using this new change this sync has been ruined, all Gamespot seems rather square and sharp when it was circular and smooth. I know this layout will stick and we should just get used to it as nobody likes change at first.

In my opinion, if this layout will stick then we should have a darkened navigation bar as that is too bright for my screen and contrasts with the dark forum layout.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#11 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I like it. It reminds me of the new look for GameFAQs, which I though looked as well. Though it's a tad bright at the top, but I'll get used to it eventually. Aside from that, it's great.

forbiddenimage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 forbiddenimage
Member since 2006 • 1959 Posts

I love the orange and white, I think it isa greatupgrade:)

Dan_Lero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Dan_Lero
Member since 2006 • 7487 Posts

Look ok, but like everyone else, i think it could be better if it was alot darker.

BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts

The top navigation bar is not only jarringly out-of-place with the rest of the site layout/style, but it's also blindingly bright if you're using a modern day LCD monitor. My retinas are not pleased.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#15 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I can't say I like it. It's just too big and looks out of place.

It doesn't need to go right accross the screen

Neon-Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 Neon-Tiger
Member since 2008 • 7683 Posts
I love it. If you are going to listen to the folks complaining it's too bright for the dark theme, at least give the ones who like it the option to keep it.
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts

In all honestly, I think the site's motion is lost its sync. In the old layout (the layout before today) everything moved in harmonic motion and was completely in sync - what I mean is that the layout was all joined together and moved perfectly. Using this new change this sync has been ruined, all Gamespot seems rather square and sharp when it was circular and smooth. I know this layout will stick and we should just get used to it as nobody likes change at first.

In my opinion, if this layout will stick then we should have a darkened navigation bar as that is too bright for my screen and contrasts with the dark forum layout.

Dj-Dark-1

Agreed. The old layout (pre-wide) flowed very nicely and smoothly. Everything is blocky and ugly now. Some of the navigation changes are pretty good, but the appearance is much worse than what it used to be.

andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts
it gives me a headache jody :cry:
XanderKage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 XanderKage
Member since 2006 • 8956 Posts

Waay too big, and waay too bright. I can handle the 'too bright' issue, but it's seriously too big. Huge buttons, and tons of unnessessary space, especially in the line with the search bar...

BTW, I think"My Games" isbroken. Again. Or is it suppose to show just the first 10 games? Alphabetically, btw, not in the most convinient way..?

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#20 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
I was wondering why I got an HTML error earlier and why the Gamespot part up top on my Profile page was glitched up for a minute. Then I looked at this new navigational thingy. Why does it only pop up in certain places?
gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#21 gbrading
Member since 2005 • 8085 Posts

Can the colour at the very top of the page be changed for a dark version of the site? It would be fine for anybody using the light theme, but it's way to bright for my dark liking :(Caddy06_88

Agreed. I like the layout of the new header, I just want it in the dark version rather than just the light version. It's decidedly bright at the moment. :)

Bumzur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Bumzur
Member since 2009 • 560 Posts
I really don't like it. It's ugly in my opinion.
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AdamPA1006

The top navigation bar is not only jarringly out-of-place with the rest of the site layout/style, but it's also blindingly bright if you're using a modern day LCD monitor. My retinas are not pleased.

BlueBirdTS
I like the brightness on my LCD. Jumps right out.. And I like the big buttons, everything was so squished before
bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#24 bededog
Member since 2005 • 8579 Posts
I can't say I like the new header. I don't like how it is detached from the rest of the site. It just looks weird to have the header detached like it is. And I don't see the need for it to take up all the width space, especially if you aren't adding anything in that extra space it uses. As for color I don't think it's that bad, but it could be darker to match the dark theme.
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
Just a small suggestion, get rid of the bar next to the "Home" button so it matches the other side. It looks way out of place.
XanderKage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 XanderKage

I have to bring up the "My Games" thing again... It's annoying. Plus, my "Tracked Games" takes years to load. In fact it'a still loading (I opnened it 10 minutes ago). Plus I agree, there should be a dark version of the header.

RealKilla_789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#27 RealKilla_789
Member since 2007 • 3669 Posts

i dont think the "bigness" is much of a problem as the brightness. like the one click to my games though.

RealKilla_789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#28 RealKilla_789
Member since 2007 • 3669 Posts
I can't say I like the new header. I don't like how it is detached from the rest of the site. It just looks weird to have the header detached like it is. And I don't see the need for it to take up all the width space, especially if you aren't adding anything in that extra space it uses. As for color I don't think it's that bad, but it could be darker to match the dark theme.bededog
i thought i was the only one that felt like it was detached.
XanderKage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XanderKage

Don't know if this has something to do with the header, but "My tracked Games" is STILL loading...

Pixy64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pixy64
Member since 2008 • 400 Posts

Sorry but i don't like this one :(

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
Need more dark... the light doesn't really fit well with all of the themes.
Glazkrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32 Glazkrak
Member since 2004 • 10802 Posts

I know they're trying to make it feel like it's a part of tv.com, etc but it gives it a cookie cutter feel. Then again to be completely honest, I gave up complaining and suggesting what Gamespot should do since it's always ignored. (btw, my suggestions and complaints have always been to fix the current bugs / glitches rather than always changing and adding features.)

JackBurton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#33 JackBurton
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts

"Xbox 360" should be abbreviated to X360, imho; the navigation bar is so bright... my eyes are bleeding! :cry:

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#34 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I dislike it very much so. Ok, if you want to improve the navigation, that's fine, but leave the color scheme alone.
canana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35 canana
Member since 2006 • 14796 Posts

I like it. Althought, the color is too bright and it hurts my eyes. Maybe just a darker color would be just fine.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

I don't know about this. The header is my least favourite part of GameFAQs' new look, and now we've got it here too. :(

I don't know, I just don't like the way the header seems detached from the rest of the page. I just noticed that Giant Bomb does a similar thing with their header and I don't mind it there, but it's a lot more subtle on Giant Bomb and doesn't seem to work as well here.

And it's too bright for my liking too.

chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#37 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
It looks fine.
Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#38 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

It looks more organized, but the color is strange.

I can't say I like the new header. I don't like how it is detached from the rest of the site. It just looks weird to have the header detached like it is. And I don't see the need for it to take up all the width space, especially if you aren't adding anything in that extra space it uses. As for color I don't think it's that bad, but it could be darker to match the dark theme.bededog

Bededog, could you do an update to Ice 2.0 to change of the color of the new interface?

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24940 Posts
I don't really like it, the old theme is better. I wonder if the expand button is going to be back at the top of the page for the blogs.
bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#40 bededog
Member since 2005 • 8579 Posts

Bededog, could you do an update to Ice 2.0 to change of the color of the new interface?

dog64
I'm currently working on fixing the header. I'm going to make it look more like the old header. I will hopefully have it done soon enough. =P
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
I like this new update as much as I like the whole Wide lay out. That is, I hate it.
Is there some way to fix that with your theme? It took away my header.
I see now that you are working on a fix. Thanks! I just hope you can keep up with all the "Updating" this site does
Sidburn19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sidburn19  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 4715 Posts

I don't mind it, but it doesn't really fit the site. It looks someone streched the original Navigationto bar just to fit the screen. With a few improvemnts like round the edges at the end so it doesn't look so streched.

Also you should make the link bigger so they fit the whole new bar at the moment they just look out of place.

Cryostorm1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Cryostorm1313
Member since 2002 • 65 Posts

Too big and far to stark white/bright for the dark theme.

Aravix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -16

#44 Aravix
Member since 2004 • 1282 Posts

I like it better dark. I do believe it should be made an optional choice, though.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I don't think it goes very well with the site at all. I mean, mostly everything is dark gray, with a little bit of orange. Then, at the top, there is now a giant strip of blinding silver. Make it dark again please.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#46 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26098 Posts
I'll get used to it, but it seems with every redesign, Gamespot (and TV.com) loses it's sense of styIe and becomes more generic and boring.
Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#47 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts

At first I thought it looked unfinished (and I still sort of do), BUT I'm starting to really like it. Reminds me a bit of Lumines actually...
I like the clean, modern look.

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts

Thanks for your feedback so far.

Do me a favor and check the update I made on the original topic to give you some better understanding on what was changed.

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#49 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
One other thing. Thanks SOOOO much for moving the game news stuff away from the search bar! :) That was making using the search bar very difficult.
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#50 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
Good change, I always accidentally clicked on a news when trying to use the search function. Wondering though, I can't see the "Features" tab anymore, how do I get to that section for stuff like the HotSpot?