The Edit Button – With Great Power Comes…

gamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 gamespot
Member since 2003 • 901308 Posts

Recently, a comment in a video was edited from its original text, which triggered some concern with the community as well as prompting some questions. We would like to clear some things up:

• No, this is not how moderation is done on GameSpot.
  • The creator of the content was not the person who edited the comment. It was, however, done by another staff member
  • The comment in question was still in violation of the Community Code of Conduct.
  • The staff member who made the edit has been spoken to.

If you have any questions regarding moderation please direct them to the Community Manager.

hotkoolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By hotkoolaid
Member since 2013 • 1584 Posts

Hello! This probably isn't the greatest way to meet many of you, but hi, I'm Mary. I'm one of the video producers at GameSpot and was in the chat for this. I'll be in the forums if anyone has any questions, regarding the edit button or just general stuff you want to talk about. Let me know, thanks!

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@hotkoolaid: Hello Mary!

Super late (alas, the crux of living on a future timezone!) but here goes anyway.

Now I can't speak for every single mod on GS, but most of us did agree that the actual problem in this whole ordeal weren't your actions. So it's all good on that front. What happened outside of that is what worried us, but it has also been properly explained to us already.

Also, allow me to take this opportunity and say, remember the PT livestream? Now, I'm not exactly at the forefront of the GS video stuff (apologies if that has been a thing and I just missed it completely), but why no more of that? That was fun, mostly because of the premise in which us and you (in that particular case) knew nothing about the game. It was a shared "discovery" experience, which I thought was a good idea!

In any case keep up the good work, and if you need anything from us just call :)

Luís.

PS: Cool beverages >>> Hot beverages. Even tea. Just sayin'... >.>

PS-2: #Staffspiracy. Just some meta stuff, worry not :P

hotkoolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4 hotkoolaid
Member since 2013 • 1584 Posts

Hello Luís!

I can see how the whole thing might feel unsettling, but let me assure you we made it clear editing comments isn't ok. Everyone involved got the same talk about why it's very important to respect users and their comments, even if we might not agree with them. If something is out of line, removing the comment is the best option.

I'm really glad you liked that! I enjoyed making it, we did that because it was announced at the Sony Press Conference, and Josh and I immediately started downloading it to play. It went well because we were the first, but I'd love to do that more. We did it with Evil Within, and I'd like to make a similar video for Until Dawn, this motivates me to make sure that happens.

I appreciate the support and your kind words. This whole experience also reminded me how much you and other moderators do to make GS a better place, so thank you. I'll be sure and keep in touch if I need anything, thanks again!

M

zyxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 zyxe  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 5343 Posts

I would like to remind users that insulting remarks that do nothing to further discussion will be moderated. If there is another issue to be discussed, please make a new thread with constructive feedback.

Thank you,

zyxe

GameSpot Moderation Team

isturbo1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By isturbo1984
Member since 2015 • 660 Posts

What are we talking about?? Some mysterious edited video???

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

@GameSpot: with due respect on behalf of the forum users,we are all confused why would the site remove the button,it did nothing wrong,it's us that's wrong,the button goes out of the panel,we are nothing but mistakes and misleads,please don't make things worse, a former moderator recently left the site with regret because the site did nothing for nearly 2 years,yes...2 years since the major update launched,now the question is,will the site abandon its people who made this place a hangout spot?

The working title "Project Triforce" was nothing but lies,the site slowly shrink as the demands listed by Klunt haven't yet been reached..again I apologize if it goes this way,but this has been an ongoing issue since this thread has been posted. we said it simple,not hard,I remember how it feels like before the site went to an upgrade...we have all the universal poster's writing kit(that includes free-timed edit and delete),the update doesn't have it anymore. I am sorry if this is not gonna end well,I have plans to move on from this site 2-3 years from now on.

With the highest respect.

SB50.

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

Hi all, I didn't realize until today that the edit button got removed. I'm the author of many of the video game recommendation threads on this board and now I can't edit them to add new and great games to them. Is this a permanent thing? I'm just a little confused that after all the work I put into the threads I can't keep them modern.

zyxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 zyxe  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 5343 Posts

@NoirLamia777: Hello,

I checked on a Bug Report & Feedback thread and a staff member said that staff is working on restoring the feature, but there's no ETA. So no, it shouldn't be permanent.

As a side note to other readers of this thread, we appear to be allowing conversation beyond the OP/staff/moderators at this time in this thread only. Please follow the AtM forum guidelines for other threads (only the OP/staff/moderators may respond to other threads on this board).

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

@zyxe: Great thanks for letting me know, hoping it doesn't take too long :)