Airschocker has been banned.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

NOTE: This thread isn't [necessarily] to discuss why he was...terminated or if it was justified. More of a retrospective, discussing the good and the bad. If I recall correctly, threads about members recently terminated aren't necessarily disallowed. Maybe if we keep in line mods will allow this thread open.

[Airshocker's profile]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tough luck. Yet, like him or not, he was a presence. A Republican for nearly all of his (OT) life he (sadly) did a 180 on crucial issues and recently converted to the left (just more evidence of the failure of liberal policies; I kid I kid!).

He liked to discuss politics. Unabashed supporter of "enhanced interrogation". A stubborn, solid debater, who wouldn't let on.

He was a cop, a veteran, a New Yorker and he liked his 2nd Amendment. Strong clashes with @GazaAli and, most recently, with @samusbeliskner stand out. More importantly, he was part of the (dysfunctional) Off-Topic Family.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Airshocker (aka puckgen) [31700 posts]: May 28th, 2006 -August 28th (aprox.), 2015

And that is that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, share your thoughts and memories about Airshocker. Keep it civil.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56097 Posts

I saw this yesterday on ask the mod forum. I was airshocker to hear that news yesterday, I was going to post the link but I see you already added the link as to why he was banned master. To me, I just think GS went too far with this, I didn't see him do nothing wrong, while he and me may not always agree, I always respect his opinion and as a cop, he has my respect.

That said, I'm just notincing Gamespot has bone a lot of changes that nobody likes. Gamespot members have left big time, the edit button is gone, and there's too many movie articles in the gaming news section. That said, I hope airshocker is unbanned and GS went too far with this.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Damn, another old one gone.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Master_Live

I request the presence of (unofficial) OT historian @LJS9502_basic to provide some perspective regarding past members and their untimely (some are timely) demises. [I even heard LJS was there when Moses came down from the mountain.]

TrustyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TrustyGamer
Member since 2015 • 233 Posts

I feel like Airschocker might have personal issues going on that are being detrimental to his account. How come it took (approx.) 9 years to carry out this ban?

Your account has posted too messages which contain targeted messages that are hateful, inflammatory, and otherwise inappropriate towards members of GameSpot's members, volunteers, and staff. We wish you luck in finding a community that better suites your needs.

This reads like a Dear John letter from a person leaving their long term companion. Why do this after so much time has passed? Can you not see that it is obviously a serious situation? The user even signed in on an older account to ask (calmly) why they were banned. Do you (moderators) really believe that this was a 9+ year troll orchestration? Show some sympathy for fucks sake, this user might need help and is reaching out.

The typo on "suites your needs" just adds a bitter insult to the injury of banning a long term member. Mod's that either are trolling or just really incapable of using proper English while banning a serious, capable forum member.

For Shame.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Not Robocop!

TrustyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TrustyGamer

@Iszdope said:

Thank you for your cooperation.

You seem to be genuinely concerned over this ban. Did you have a dislike for airschocker?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Master_Live

Dammit, I realize I misspelled shockers' name on the title. Edit button wheeeeere are you!?

TrustyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TrustyGamer

@Iszdope said:
@trustygamer said:
@Iszdope said:

You seem to be genuinely concerned over this ban. Did you have a dislike for airschocker?

I'ma gonna plead the 5th on that one.

So you disliked and support the ban of this account is how that reads. As a new member I hope to see circumstantial evidence and proof of why this member was banned after a near decade. I am sure there is supportive evidence in the case against the reputation, character and ideals of this user.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

The mods here suck

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#14 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

The staff and the mod team are, per request of the community, doubling our efforts to improve the quality of discussion across our boards, and sometimes that requires the removal of some members who violate our Terms of Use.

Every user in GS is equal, so regardless of how long you've been in the community you are still required to follow the rules and unfortunately Airshocker did not. He had a long history of hateful posts and disregard for moderators, our guidance and attempts to steer him in a less confrontational direction. The staff took notice of it and they decided that the removal of the user would be beneficial to the overall feel of the community.

We are aware we have our fair share of troublemakers and Airshocker might have not have been on top of your "we would do better without" list of users, but I can assure you that quite a few other users have been banned these last few days and none of them were banned on a whim or without discussion within the moderation team or the staff. In this case the ban came from the staff but speaking for the moderation team (as much as I can), expect to see a few more problematic users being given a long vacation or a permanent removal from this website.

Your help in identifying and reporting these users are appreciated; I'm sure you are as interested as we are in bringing OT (and other boards) back to a safe place to discuss, free of hate speech and disruptive posting. We may never reach that goal entirely but we will surely try.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

I think he was banned because he called Gywnnblade a terrorist. Serves him right.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 alim298

Btw how can one know if a user has been banned or simply isn't posting anymore?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Was the final straw the gmail screenshot he shared? That was pretty harsh.

TrustyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TrustyGamer

@korvus said:

The staff and the mod team are, per request of the community, doubling our efforts to improve the quality of discussion across our boards, and sometimes that requires the removal of some members who violate our Terms of Use.

Every user in GS is equal, so regardless of how long you've been in the community you are still required to follow the rules and unfortunately Airshocker did not. He had a long history of hateful posts and disregard for moderators, our guidance and attempts to steer him in a less confrontational direction. The staff took notice of it and they decided that the removal of the user would be beneficial to the overall feel of the community.

We are aware we have our fair share of troublemakers and Airshocker might have not have been on top of your "we would do better without" list of users, but I can assure you that quite a few other users have been banned these last few days and none of them were banned on a whim or without discussion within the moderation team or the staff. In this case the ban came from the staff but speaking for the moderation team (as much as I can), expect to see a few more problematic users being given a long vacation or a permanent removal from this website.

Your help in identifying and reporting these users are appreciated; I'm sure you are as interested as we are in bringing OT (and other boards) back to a safe place to discuss, free of hate speech and disruptive posting. We may never reach that goal entirely but we will surely try.

I received a warning for a parody post I made 2 weeks ago yesterday. Why is the moderation response time so slow and delayed? It seems like it might be overtly judgmental and based on specific circumstance.

Above all, why are members who are long term users being banned suddenly? Sounds like there is a corrupt modship in power that is taking advantage of users. As a newcomer to the site, I am discouraged and intimidated by this ruthless authority with no discourse for action.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Master_Live

@korvus said:
Something something something.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@trustygamer: Mods are volunteers here and we have our own jobs so we can't be here all the time and that slows things down. Last week a great part of our moderation team was on vacation, which slowed down the process even more and the report queue got a bit extensive (we're working on it).

That being said, if you have complaints about the moderation team, the moderators themselves aren't the best people to go to. I would suggest you voice your complaints to our Community Manager DigitalDame and provide her with as much information as possible. She takes complaints against moderators very seriously so you'll be in good hands.

@Master_Live: You have always had a knack for summaries =)

TrustyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TrustyGamer

@korvus: I am sure you are aware that people are individuals much like forums do. I hope you aren't broken and I hope the moderators and admin aren't either. Right now I see a broken, disorganized group not quite sure of what is going on so much that "vacation" is an excuse for disarray. Inexcusable behaviour on a site of this volume in my opinion. It doesn't take more than a month to diagnose and analyse a problem.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@trustygamer: Again, please direct your complaints to DigitalDame =)

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 alim298

@trustygamer said:

I received a warning for a parody post I made 2 weeks ago yesterday. Why is the moderation response time so slow and delayed? It seems like it might be overtly judgmental and based on specific circumstance.

Above all, why are members who are long term users being banned suddenly? Sounds like there is a corrupt modship in power that is taking advantage of users. As a newcomer to the site, I am discouraged and intimidated by this ruthless authority with no discourse for action.

You figured it out. You figured out the conspiracy.

TrustyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TrustyGamer

@korvus said:

@trustygamer: Again, please direct your complaints to DigitalDame =)

You seem like a man of the people. Don't you have complaints? Why use this response? I don't want to talk to "DigitalDame" about problems she apparently has nothing to do with. Lets be human beings who enjoy video games amongst other things here.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#27 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58956 Posts

Seems like some people are under the impression being a long time or liked member equals special entitlement.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#28 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Iszdope said:

i'll be back

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@trustygamer said:

You seem like a man of the people. Don't you have complaints? Why use this response? I don't want to talk to "DigitalDame" about problems she apparently has nothing to do with.

How can the person in charge of keeping track of moderators and their actions have nothing to do with complaints against the moderation team? Mods have no power against other mods and we will not discuss their actions either; that is why a Community Manager exists.

TrustyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TrustyGamer

@korvus said:
@trustygamer said:

You seem like a man of the people. Don't you have complaints? Why use this response? I don't want to talk to "DigitalDame" about problems she apparently has nothing to do with.

How can the person in charge of keeping track of moderators and their actions have nothing to do with complaints against the moderation team? Mods have no power against other mods and we will not discuss their actions either; that is why a Community Manager exists.

It is scary to think that between the common human and the overlords, there exists an indifferent, soulless one serving as the law in the archetype of the controller. Where did real conversation, justice and honour disappear to?? Just pure humanity really? When did it stop being a brotherly conversation and one of a "superior to inferior"?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@trustygamer: Ok, we're going into trolling territory, please stop...I have answered your questions and directed you towards the person who can help you with your fears and concerns.

TrustyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TrustyGamer

@korvus said:

@trustygamer: Ok, we're going into trolling territory, please stop...I have answered your questions and directed you towards the person who can help you with your fears and concerns.

I will stop here because I assure you I haven't been trolling. You have answered my questions very hazily and I want you to consider that you are part of a corrupted modship and administration if this is the operational response to genuine concern/stealth bans after extensive membership. You seem like someone who can maybe raise some questions to the numerous red flags that are surrounding this promising but struggling community. Thanks for communicating and not just immediately banning me for questioning the order that we have witnessed over the last few days.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DaVillain  Moderator

In other words, mods are only really volunteers after all, they gotta have there opinion too. That said, I have seen few mods here who will also help out there buddy GS members in my life time [and no, don't ask me cause I'm not telling who abusive there mod powers nor I'm not ratting anyone out here on GS] but however, TrustyGamer, if you see of suchor have any complaints. I say just PM DigitalDame AKA The Boss, they take these cases very seriously and from the way it seems, it was a GS Staff who did the banning, not the mods.

TrustyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TrustyGamer

All I ask is that the reasons Airshocker was banned accompanied with the evidence as to why is displayed openly on the forum so we can all see that a tenured member was gotten rid of for a serious and repeated reason (all chances of mental illness or personal strife aside).

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Master_Live

@trustygamer said:

All I ask is that the reasons Airshocker was banned accompanied with the evidence as to why is displayed openly on the forum so we can all see that a tenured member was gotten rid of for a serious and repeated reason (all chances of mental illness or personal strife aside).

GS has never worked that way and I doubt they are about to start doing that to satisfy you. This isn't a court of law. I understand why you would ask but that was never part of the bargain.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I liked airshocker shame hes gone.

Cant comment on why he was banned i didnt see the threads in question.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

Shame to see him gone. I've been gone from these forums for over a month (on vacation), so I haven't followed the threads at all. With another member gone, just seems to thin down the already slim forum population. Just watching the slow death of these forums.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Saw that yesterday. Shame.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Master_Live

@alim298 said:

We can't. A user could use other means to relay the information and sometimes they do. A long time ago if a user was banned their profile became grey and it displayed a message saying said user was banned but that isn't the case anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Good Riddance. :p

@alim298 said:

You can't post on their walls anymore. Meaning the Textbox that you see when you enter anyone's profile just disappears.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Master_Live

@Gamerno6666 said:

@alim298 said:

You can't post on their walls anymore. Meaning the Textbox that you see when you enter anyone's profile just disappears.

More evidence that you learn something new everyday.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Master_Live said:
@Gamerno6666 said:

@alim298 said:

I didn't know that either =X

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DaVillain  Moderator

@korvus said:
@Master_Live said:
@Gamerno6666 said:

@alim298 said:

I didn't know that either =X

Seriously you guys didn't know that? Even a Mod didn't know this? WTF???

Yes when you enter a user's profile, if you can't see the text wall nor you can't post there walls, that let's you know that user is banned/suspended. This was know to me actually last November about this.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@davillain-: As a user I never cared to check if a user was banned and as a mod we have tools for that so no, I didn't know =)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DaVillain  Moderator

@korvus: Oh, I see.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Goodnight, sweet prince

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

I MISS YOU AIR, YOU HEAR?

ANYWAYS ...HE WILL BE BACK, ITS TEMPORARY/WARNING BAN ...imo. Everyone here including mods love him :)

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

No no no no no no no no no no no no why why why why why why why why why why

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

It's not nice seeing old-time members leaving the forum but whatever.