caityful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 caityful
Member since 2010 • 1210 Posts
For all discussion about the second Mass Effect game.
Any questions about this game and its DLC is welcome here.
majinstrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 majinstrings
Member since 2004 • 3109 Posts

...Alright, since no one else is startin' this up, I guess I will...

I've got a problem with Jack! (calm down, Caity :P)

When I first played ME2, there was something about her that I didn't like but I wasn't sure what it was...

After one or two more playthroughs, I thought I figured it out...

It's her facial animations...they don't seem to match the actress's voice...

She'll say something with a certain bit of emotion but Jack's face doesn't change or show any of that emotion...

I noticed this on the Archangel mission...

If any of you are going to play through ME2 soon, do this and let me know if you notice it too:

Take Jack with you on the Archangel mission (of course you'll have to recruit Jack, first) and after you kill Jaroth go speak with Garrus. There's an explosion sound and one of your squadmates will say something about it. If it's Jack, I think she'll yell "What the hell!?"

There's shock/surprise in her voice but her face has this blank look on it that doesn't match up at all.

I think this also happens on her loyalty mission when she confronts Aresh. A lot of emotion in her voice, none on her face. But in the shuttle, when you blow up the Pragia base, her facial animation has her showing some pretty strong emotions (as she should)

...That's just something that's bothered me for a while...

lewfa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lewfa1
Member since 2011 • 240 Posts

...Alright, since no one else is startin' this up, I guess I will...

I've got a problem with Jack! (calm down, Caity :P)

When I first played ME2, there was something about her that I didn't like but I wasn't sure what it was...

After one or two more playthroughs, I thought I figured it out...

It's her facial animations...they don't seem to match the actress's voice...

She'll say something with a certain bit of emotion but Jack's face doesn't change or show any of that emotion...

I noticed this on the Archangel mission...

If any of you are going to play through ME2 soon, do this and let me know if you notice it too:

Take Jack with you on the Archangel mission (of course you'll have to recruit Jack, first) and after you kill Jaroth go speak with Garrus. There's an explosion sound and one of your squadmates will say something about it. If it's Jack, I think she'll yell "What the hell!?"

There's shock/surprise in her voice but her face has this blank look on it that doesn't match up at all.

I think this also happens on her loyalty mission when she confronts Aresh. A lot of emotion in her voice, none on her face. But in the shuttle, when you blow up the Pragia base, her facial animation has her showing some pretty strong emotions (as she should)

...That's just something that's bothered me for a while...

majinstrings

I totally know what you're speaking about. And it happens more than a few times with Jack. Think back to during her loyalty mission on Pragia when she is discussing having been pitted against the other children and filled with drugs. When she makes the comment "I loved it!" her voice is filled with irony, anguish and confrontation but her face remains calm and unchanged especially her eyes.

When I noticed these moments they bothered me also. However (grabbing the BioWare pom-poms), I eventually grew to enjoy these bizarre emotional reactions from her. For me, it showed the strange disconnect that the complex character of Jack has achieved as a tool to deal with her very tragic and violent past. I think that her way of avoiding the emotional and psychological trauma of her past is to disassociate herself from it. It shows in her face but her voice gives her away. One remains a blank page while another belays great emotion.

I suspect that this was a conscious choice made by our friends at BioWare. They went to such great pains to make sure that all of the characters revealed a great range of emotions with vocal intonation and body/facial expression. I doubt that they would make such a glaring omission as to forget about the facial expressions of such a prominent character as Jack.

majinstrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 majinstrings

When I noticed these moments they bothered me also. However (grabbing the BioWare pom-poms), I eventually grew to enjoy these bizarre emotional reactions from her. For me, it showed the strange disconnect that the complex character of Jack has achieved as a tool to deal with her very tragic and violent past. I think that her way of avoiding the emotional and psychological trauma of her past is to disassociate herself from it. It shows in her face but her voice gives her away. One remains a blank page while another belays great emotion.

I suspect that this was a conscious choice made by our friends at BioWare. They went to such great pains to make sure that all of the characters revealed a great range of emotions with vocal intonation and body/facial expression. I doubt that they would make such a glaring omission as to forget about the facial expressions of such a prominent character as Jack.

lewfa1

Ha! Nice explanation!

I always thought that it was some unbelievable oversight but when you put it that way, it makes more sense...well, for a character like Jack, anyway...

You can even see the glee on Grunt's face when talking about how he hates Turians; I thought it was weird that the Krogan's face was fully animated but they forgot to animate Jack's face for most of the game...

But after reading your explanation, I'm gonna be looking at Jack in a whole new way in my next playthrough...

Well done!

Avatar image for IndianaJones414
IndianaJones414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 IndianaJones414
Member since 2011 • 1197 Posts
I didn't really have a problem Jack's character, I thought she a pretty funny character with the comments she would make.
N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 N7v1K0
Member since 2009 • 5755 Posts
Hmmm.... interesting explanation about Jack there lewfa. I always thought the same thing as maj before now
IndianaJones414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 IndianaJones414
I wonder why they made it where Jack's head was totally shaved and all those crazy tattoos.
caityful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 caityful

I wonder why they made it where Jack's head was totally shaved and all those crazy tattoos. IndianaJones414

"Joined a cult, kept the haircut."

Or something along those lines, I believe is what she said. Haha. Her tattoos absolutely intrigue me. I've always adored tattoos and full body ink is incredibly interesting. I'd like to know more about them, but alas they're just a small detail.

And interesting theory there, Lew.
That being said, Grunt didn't have too many facial expressions though :P

Jack is flawless~ 

IndianaJones414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 IndianaJones414

I liked having Grunt in my squad for a lot of my missions. Him and Garrus would consit of my squad most of the time.

lewfa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lewfa1

[QUOTE="IndianaJones414"]I wonder why they made it where Jack's head was totally shaved and all those crazy tattoos. caityful

Or something along those lines, I believe is what she said. Haha. Her tattoos absolutely intrigue me. I've always adored tattoos and full body ink is incredibly interesting. I'd like to know more about them, but alas they're just a small detail.

Jack is flawless~

Jack is flawless.

As a writer (not that I'm saying I'm a writer, don't get it twisted) you know you've created a successful, engaging character when people's reactions to him/her are passionate. This has happened with Jack. On the outside, poker face, hard as nails. On the inside, many voices, world war three. Players of ME2 have had some of the most intense reactions to her well-developed character and stunning looks. They either love her or hate her, no one seems indifferent.

Applause!

IndianaJones414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 IndianaJones414
[QUOTE="caityful"]

[QUOTE="IndianaJones414"]I wonder why they made it where Jack's head was totally shaved and all those crazy tattoos. lewfa1

Jack is flawless~

Jack is flawless.

As a writer (not that I'm saying I'm a writer, don't get it twisted) you know you've created a successful, engaging character when people's reactions to him/her are passionate. This has happened with Jack. On the outside, poker face, hard as nails. On the inside, many voices, world war three. Players of ME2 have had some of the most intense reactions to her well-developed character and stunning looks. They either love her or hate her, no one seems indifferent.

Applause!

Very good point, Jack is a very well-developed character.

Another character whom people really seem to have a problem with is Jacob, to me I didnt have a problem with his character, from what I read about his character, he accomplished a great deal between ME1 and ME2, to me, from that, he seems to be a cool character.

lewfa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lewfa1

I liked having Grunt in my squad for a lot of my missions. Him and Garrus would consit of my squad most of the time.

IndianaJones414

What class or classes did you play? The reason I ask Indiana, is although I like Grunt very much, in fact even more than Wrex (What?!! I did not just read that! This guy has lost his mind, THAT'S SACRALAGE!!), I rarely had him in my squad.

I found that some team mates have powers that complement certain mission types. Take Tali for example, her skill set is perfect to have along anytime Shepard is taking on mechs or the Geth so no matter what class I play there will always be missions for which Tali is a must. Grunt on the other hand I find to be more class specific. When I play classes such as the Adept I find that his skill set is rarely an asset no matter which mission I'm playing.

But perhaps I've been too hard on Grunt and should give him another try. What was your experience?

Another character whom people really seem to have a problem with is Jacob, to me I didnt have a problem with his character, from what I read about his character, he accomplished a great deal between ME1 and ME2, to me, from that, he seems to be a cool character.

IndianaJones414

You're right, Jacob definitely has his detractors. If you haven't done so already and would like to see what others are saying about Squaddies they didn't like, take a look at the Least Favourite ME or ME2 Squad Members thread for some interesting reading on that topic.

IndianaJones414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 IndianaJones414
[QUOTE="IndianaJones414"]

lewfa1

What class or classes did you play? The reason I ask Indiana, is although I like Grunt very much, in fact even more than Wrex (What?!! I did not just read that! This guy has lost his mind, THAT'S SACRALAGE!!), I rarely had him in my squad.

I found that some team mates have powers that complement certain mission types. Take Tali for example, her skill set is perfect to have along anytime Shepard is taking on mechs or the Geth so no matter what class I play there will always be missions for which Tali is a must. Grunt on the other hand I find to be more class specific. When I play classes such as the Adept I find that his skill set is rarely an asset no matter which mission I'm playing.

But perhaps I've been too hard on Grunt and should give him another try. What was your experience?

IndianaJones414

You're right, Jacob definitely has his detractors. If you haven't done so already and would like to see what others are saying about Squaddies they didn't like, take a look at the Least Favourite ME or ME2 Squad Members thread for some interesting reading on that topic.

I mostly liked playing soldier, because for some reason the soldier got the most weapons, including my favorite, the Assault Rifle. I did try playing as Adept once and I tried to play as Engineer too and didnt really like that class.

I noticed that on that thread, I think its the way the game makes him appear, but I thought he was a decent character.

N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 N7v1K0

I mostly liked playing soldier, because for some reason the soldier got the most weapons, including my favorite, the Assault Rifle. I did try playing as Adept once and I tried to play as Engineer too and didnt really like that class.

I noticed that on that thread, I think its the way the game makes him appear, but I thought he was a decent character.

IndianaJones414

Try out Infiltrator, Vanguard and Sentinel too. Theyre much better than any of those 3 IMO

IndianaJones414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 IndianaJones414
I may try playing as a Vanguard or an Infiltrator once.
lewfa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lewfa1

N7v1K0

Try out Infiltrator, Vanguard and Sentinel too. Theyre much better than any of those 3 IMO

I may try playing as a Vanguard or an Infiltrator once. IndianaJones414

Alright, I'm sure that there's already a "favorite (U.S. spelling) classes" thread somewhere else but because there is already a hot discussion happening on the ME1 thread about this lets keep it going. My ME2 fav's in order:

Adept. That's right, I said it! Adept is number 1. Wassup? Wassup!? You wanna start somethin'? Don't make me drop a singularity on your butt!

Engineer. I love that glowing ball!

Vanguard. When you need to bring the beat down right to your enemies face, it's got to be the Vanguard.

Soldier. Forget the fancy bells and whistles, keep it simple; If it moves, shoot it.

Infiltrator. I enjoyed it, mostly. A tad underpowered.

Sentinel. I'm currently replaying this class to see if it really bugs me as much as I thought it did. It does.

Interestingly, I am going to discuss why I like the Infiltrator and Sentinel classes the least in my next post to the Vox Populi thread (shameless plug, a-hem).

IndianaJones414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 IndianaJones414
Each of the classes do have their strengths and weaknesses.
N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 N7v1K0

Hmm... what difficulty do you play on Lew?

I find that the classes perform in diffrerent ways depending on the difficulty....

lewfa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lewfa1

I find that the classes perform in diffrerent ways depending on the difficulty....

N7v1K0

You're absolutely right N7, the classes play very differently depending on the difficulty level. From my experience on lower levels, the Adept is almost unstoppable. If you've got a horde of husks baring down on you, just throw out a Shockwave and it's 'bowling for bad guys'. When your enemies all have to round the same corner to get to you, just drop a singularity there and pick them off as they get stuck. However, on higher levels (hardcore and insanity) the Adept is now the weakest class to play in my opinion. In ME2 biotics no longer bypass shields like they did in ME1. Which means that any opponent wearing a shield (which on the highest two levels are many) now poses great difficulty for the Adept.

In ME2 my experience with the Soldier class was just the opposite. On the lower levels I didn't find the Soldier's powers to be any greater or more capable than the other classes. As the difficulty increased however the Soldier's range of weapons and special ammo options came in very handy. I found the Soldier to be the easiest class to play on insanity.

As to which difficulty I play in ME2, its insanity or nothing. I've basically played all the classes to hell and back and enjoyed every moment of it.

What has been your experience with classes and levels N7?

N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 N7v1K0
[QUOTE="N7v1K0"]

lewfa1

You're absolutely right N7, the classes play very differently depending on the difficulty level. From my experience on lower levels, the Adept is almost unstoppable. If you've got a horde of husks baring down on you, just throw out a Shockwave and it's 'bowling for bad guys'. When your enemies all have to round the same corner to get to you, just drop a singularity there and pick them off as they get stuck. However, on higher levels (hardcore and insanity) the Adept is now the weakest class to play in my opinion. In ME2 biotics no longer bypass shields like they did in ME1. Which means that any opponent wearing a shield (which on the highest two levels are many) now poses great difficulty for the Adept.

In ME2 my experience with the Soldier class was just the opposite. On the lower levels I didn't find the Soldier's powers to be any greater or more capable than the other classes. As the difficulty increased however the Soldier's range of weapons and special ammo options came in very handy. I found the Soldier to be the easiest class to play on insanity.

As to which difficulty I play in ME2, its insanity or nothing. I've basically played all the classes to hell and back and enjoyed every moment of it.

What has been your experience with classes and levels N7?

I've only played on a setting lower than insanity twice, and that was when I got the game.

That's exactly what I meant about classes changing btw. Biotics are insanely overpowered on low difficulties, but then come to insanity and they're not so good anymore. The other classes suddenly find themselves above biotics then.

I've played all the classes 3 times, except Engineer. Infiltrator is my favorite, closely followed by Vanguard and Sentinel. Adept, as pointed out, isn't that great for insanity, Engineer is too squishy and Soldier is a bit too simple IMO. 

IndianaJones414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 IndianaJones414
Playing on the Insanity difficulty is like next to impossible, you have to be like dead on your aim all the time.
majinstrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 majinstrings

Playing on the Insanity difficulty is like next to impossible, you have to be like dead on your aim all the time. IndianaJones414

It's all about cover...you have to use cover A LOT...you have to be patient and wait for your time to strike...

lewfa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lewfa1

[QUOTE="IndianaJones414"]Playing on the Insanity difficulty is like next to impossible, you have to be like dead on your aim all the time. majinstrings

It's all about cover...you have to use cover A LOT...you have to be patient and wait for your time to strike...

Insanity is about cover, by the truck load. I'd add that it's also about correct squad selection, don't bring a bunch of biotics to a tech/mech fight. And know your powers like the back of your hand.

IndianaJones414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 IndianaJones414

I can only imagine what fighting the husk would be like on insanity.

caityful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 caityful

IndianaJones414

I was prepared to start a new playthrough on Insanity. Until you mentioned husks. Darn it :P

How many folks here have actually completed the whole story in both games on Insanity?  

N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 N7v1K0

caityful

I was prepared to start a new playthrough on Insanity. Until you mentioned husks. Darn it :P

How many folks here have actually completed the whole story in both games on Insanity?  

C'mon Caity, husks are easy! :P Bring down armor -> nearly any power for an instakill -> profit! ME2 overall is easy!

ME1 on Insanity is a pointless waste of time, I'd recommend everyone only plays it once. Spent way too much time on it :/

majinstrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 majinstrings

ME1 on Insanity was much more easy than ME2...maybe because powers affected most enemies and you have infinite ammo :P

Hated fighting Praetorians on Insanity in ME2...at least the one on the Collector ship...ugh...

rallydrifter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rallydrifter
Member since 2010 • 346 Posts

Never did play ME1 on insanity but I did beat ME2 on insane. 

It was crazy but I did it.  I used an infiltrator which once you get the widow, insane is not that bad.

lewfa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lewfa1

I also had less trouble playing ME1 on insanity. Mostly because in the first game all your enemies had big glowing red triangles on their chests so you could see them coming from a mile away. It just screamed "Hay, I'm over here! PIease shoot me alot!" I played my ME1 insanity run like a total puzzy, I sat back as far as I could and tried to kill the bad guys from basically another zip code. Sometimes I was so far away I had to mail my bullets to them.

ME 2 on the other hand is a totally different beast. You don't always see them coming, sometimes they are right on top of you before you know it. Your opponents flank you, they have a variety of protections and weapons. I've played ME2 many more times on insanity than ME1 and although it is much harder, I've liked it much better!

IndianaJones414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 IndianaJones414

Did anyone do any of the DLC missions?

majinstrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 majinstrings

IndianaJones414

On ME1 or ME2?

...I'm not sure why I'm asking that...I played every DLC mission on both...

IndianaJones414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 IndianaJones414

I mean for ME2's DLC missions. I enjoyed pretty much of them, Lair of the Shadow Broker was a lot of fun, Project Overlord was weird. The two additional characters: Zaaed and Kasumi were both pretty cool. Arrival was a lot of fun too.

lewfa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lewfa1

majinstrings

On ME1 or ME2?

Which was your favorite?

And, if you're playing ME2 on PS3 then most of the DLC's come already bundled into the game. Lucky bastards.

For ME2 I think it's very worthwhile to play the downloadable content. Especially Lair of the Shadow Broker and The Arrival. Essential plot points that have an impact on the overall series come from these two expansions. I'd also say that Kasumi and Zaeed are must buy DLC's.

majinstrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 majinstrings
[QUOTE="majinstrings"][QUOTE="IndianaJones414"]

lewfa1

On ME1 or ME2?

Which was your favorite?

I have to go with Lair of the Shadow Broker...just an amazing piece of DLC...

I liked both DLC characters but I think Kasumi is my favorite to bring on missions...Shadow Strike is so awesome...

IndianaJones414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 IndianaJones414
Kasumi is pretty cool and her loyalty quest was pretty fun to play.
lewfa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lewfa1

I have to go with Lair of the Shadow Broker...just an amazing piece of DLC...

I liked both DLC characters but I think Kasumi is my favorite to bring on missions...Shadow Strike is so awesome...

majinstrings

Complete agreement. LotSB blew my mind! And Ms."Now you see me...." kicks ass. I'd also like to add that I was very impressed with Overlord.

IndianaJones414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 IndianaJones414
I enjoyed the Arrival DLC too, it was really mindblowing playing that.
majinstrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 majinstrings

I enjoyed the Arrival DLC too, it was really mindblowing playing that. IndianaJones414

I was kind of disappointed by Arrival...but I suppose anything that came out after Lair of the Shadow Broker was going to disappoint me...:P

Hard to top LotSB...

IndianaJones414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 IndianaJones414
The reason I liked Arrival was because, it explains the events for ME3 and I thought it was pretty cool that you had to escape that facility all by yourself.
rallydrifter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rallydrifter
Just finished my 4th playthrough of this game! Only 2 more left by the time ME3 comes out.
lewfa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lewfa1

Just finished my 4th playthrough of this game! Only 2 more left by the time ME3 comes out.rallydrifter

Are you doing one playthrough for each class?

rallydrifter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 rallydrifter

[QUOTE="rallydrifter"]Just finished my 4th playthrough of this game! Only 2 more left by the time ME3 comes out.lewfa1

Are you doing one playthrough for each class?

Well I guess I am, but that was not the intent of doing my 6 playthroughs.

It was mainly just for story variation.

IndianaJones414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 IndianaJones414
I think I must have done like 3 to 5 playthroughs myself for ME2.
lewfa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lewfa1

I think I must have done like 3 to 5 playthroughs myself for ME2. IndianaJones414

And what classes did you play? What were your thoughts on them?

This question goes for you too rallyD.

IndianaJones414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 IndianaJones414

I played mostly a soldier, for the most part like 2 or 3 of the playthroughs, an Adept for one playthrough.

Falcon084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#46 Falcon084
Member since 2009 • 8778 Posts
I wish the GOTY would come out? Anyone hear anything?
caityful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 caityful

I wish the GOTY would come out? Anyone hear anything?Falcon084

Do you reckon there will be one? There isn't one for ME1 and yet its been years since it's first release... :( 

IndianaJones414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 IndianaJones414
Probably not for ME2, although I wish there would be a GOTY for ME2.
Falcon084-2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Falcon084-2
Member since 2010 • 225 Posts

[QUOTE="Falcon084"]I wish the GOTY would come out? Anyone hear anything?caityful

Do you reckon there will be one? There isn't one for ME1 and yet its been years since it's first release... :(

Actually they did release a version that came with the Bring down the sky DLC.

caityful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 caityful
[QUOTE="caityful"]

[QUOTE="Falcon084"]I wish the GOTY would come out? Anyone hear anything?Falcon084-2

Actually they did release a version that came with the Bring down the sky DLC.

That's hardly a GOTY edition though... There was more DLC for ME1. Why should players miss out on them?Â