Where Is Red Dead Online, Red Dead 2's Multiplayer? [Update]
The wild west gets crowded this fall.
We were told to expect Red Dead Online in late November, and sure enough, that's precisely when it's launching. Rockstar has finally outlined its plans for when Red Dead Redemption 2's online multiplayer will launch, and it begins on Tuesday, November 27, with a staggered rollout depending on what version of the game you bought and when you first played it.
Rockstar has shared the first details regarding Red Dead Redemption 2's online mode, named simply Red Dead Online. As was the case with Grand Theft Auto V's online component, GTA Online, Red Dead Online will not launch alongside the game itself; instead, it will debut sometime in November 2018--one month after Redemption 2 itself releases--and will start as a public beta. Anyone who owns a copy of RDR2 will have free access to Red Dead Online; there's no indication the multiplayer mode will be made available separately.
"Using the gameplay of the upcoming Red Dead Redemption 2 as a foundation, Red Dead Online will be ready to be explored alone or with friends, and will also feature constant updates and adjustments to grow and evolve this experience for all players," the announcement states.
But in a moment of expectations-setting, the announcement also warns that players who hop on immediately are likely to experience some growing pains. Specifically, the studio says it expects turbulence at launch, and to work with the community to overcome "teething problems" and develop Red Dead Online over time.
That roadmap makes it sound very similar to Grand Theft Online, which was fairly rough when it first launched a few weeks after the launch of Grand Theft Auto V. Rockstar has been treating it as a live service since then, though, and has continuously added new features, modes, and cosmetic items over the course of years. Red Dead Online is likely to get a similar treatment given the phenomenal long-term success of GTA V.
The November launch target also sets it apart from the release date for Red Dead Redemption 2 itself, which is set to release on October 26. For more details, check out our wrap-up of everything we know so far. Finally, we've got new screenshots, hunting details, and word of a PS4 Pro bundle.
Red Dead Redemption 2 News And Details
- Red Dead Redemption 2: We Played It On PS4, Here's Everything We Saw
- Watch: We Played Red Dead Redemption 2
- Red Dead Redemption 2: All The New Features
- Red Dead Redemption 2's Most Surprising Features And Details
- Red Dead Redemption 2: Everything We Just Learned
- Like GTA 5, Red Dead Redemption 2 Is Playable In First-Person
- Here Are Red Dead Redemption 2's HUD Options
- Red Dead Redemption 2's Arthur Can Swim, Unlike John Marston
- Here's 27 New Red Dead Redemption 2 Screens
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Will Feature Woody Jackson's Music Again
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Has A Selfie Camera
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Lets You Drift On A Horse
- Red Dead Redemption 2's New Animal-Skinning Animation Is Truly A Sight To Behold
- Red Dead Redemption 2's Online Mode Gets A Beta A Month After Release Day
- Why Red Dead Redemption 2's Online Mode Is Launching After The Main Game
- Rockstar Will Stagger GTA 5 Online And Red Dead Online Update Releases
- Red Dead Online Learns Its Lessons From GTA Online
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.