Nintendo Switch Will Ship 2 Million Units in Launch Month, Says President
Kimishima also confirms Nintendo Switch won't be sold at a loss.
Nintendo's next gaming platform, Switch, will ship two million units during the financial year ending March 2017, according to company president Tatsumi Kimishima. Shipping units doesn't translate to sales, so the number is more indicative of how many consoles Nintendo is aiming to have with retailers during its first month on sale.
Nintendo CEO says current FY financial guidance assumes 2 million units of Switch to be shipped this fiscal year ending in March— Takashi Mochizuki (@mochi_wsj) October 26, 2016
Speaking during a financial briefing, as reported by the Wall Street Journal's Takashi Mochizuki, Kimishima also said Switch won't be sold at a loss. This is noteworthy as, traditionally, hardware is sold at a loss and software is used to recoup these costs.
Not selling consoles at an initial loss can often mean the price of the hardware is high, but Kimishima said Nintendo is is "listening to what consumers expect from us when setting price."
On Switch: Nintendo CEO says company won't make loss by selling it; but also listening to what consumers expect from us when setting price.— Takashi Mochizuki (@mochi_wsj) October 26, 2016
Kimishima echoed similar sentiments during a Q&A in May: "We are not thinking of launching the hardware at a loss," he said. "When Wii U was launched, the yen was very strong. I am assuming that situation will not repeat itself. Selling at a loss at launch would not support the business, so we are keeping that mind in developing NX."
Finally, Kimishima said that, following the Switch's full reveal, he believes consumers will understand what distinguishes the console from its other portable platform, the 3DS. He did not elaborate, however.
Nintendo CEO's confident that after full unveiling of Switch, consumers would understand that it would be different from 3DS.— Takashi Mochizuki (@mochi_wsj) October 26, 2016
As previously unveiled, the Nintendo Switch is a home console and handheld hybrid. It is expected to launch in March 2017. For lots more on the Nintendo Switch, check out GameSpot's recent coverage in the links below.
- Nintendo Switch: Reveal Trailer and All the New Details
- New Mario Game Teased for Nintendo Switch
- Nintendo Switch Development Partners Include Skyrim, Resident Evil, Dark Souls Devs, and More
- Xbox Boss Reacts to Nintendo Switch Announcement
- Nintendo Switch's Amiibo Support Confirmed
- Skyrim Not Confirmed for Nintendo Switch, Despite Appearing in Video Reveal
- Nintendo Switch Could "Redefine" Gaming, Ubisoft Says
- The Nintendo Switch Dock Is "Not the Main Console"
- Nintendo Switch Price, Hardware Specs May Not be Revealed This Year
- Nintendo Stock Value Drops 6.5 Percent After Switch Reveal, Some Analysts Doubt Its Appeal
- Nintendo Switch Trailer Becomes Most Popular Video on NoA's YouTube Account
- Nintendo Switch Is Not Backwards Compatible With Physical 3DS or Wii U Games