New Nintendo Switch System Update Released, Here's What It Does
A new patch has arrived.
Nintendo has pushed out the newest Nintendo Switch firmware update. Version 5.0.0 was released today, and it includes some welcome changes and more.
In terms of new stuff, the update adds a whopping 24 new Arms and Kirby player icons (you can see some in the embedded tweet below). As for new or improved features, with the update applied, the digital games you buy from Nintendo's website or on your smartphone should begin downloading faster on your console, even if your Switch is in Sleep mode. Additionally, you can now filter news from the feed to only show unread messages or content from a specific channel of your choosing.
new ARMS/Kirby avatars in Switch FW 5.0.0 pic.twitter.com/PaahILecbO— Wario64 (@Wario64) March 13, 2018
Also new in the update is that Captured videos in your Album are now subject to parental controls if you have those set up. Additionally, the Pro Controller grip colours will now show up in the Controllers menu, which is pretty cool. You can see the full patch notes below, as posted on Nintendo's website.
In other news, the latest Nintendo Direct broadcast was held last week. There was a lot of big news, but nothing bigger than the confirmation that Super Smash Bros. is coming to Switch later this year.
- Facebook and Twitter friends that also use Nintendo Switch can now be added through Friend Suggestions
- Friend suggestions are based on the Facebook and Twitter accounts you have linked to your Nintendo Account
- To view your friend suggestions, from the top left of the HOME Menu head to your User Page > Friend Suggestions
- You must be 13 or older to use this feature
- Select from 24 new ARMS and the Kirby series icons for your user
- To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
- Digital software purchases made from a PC or smart device will start downloading sooner than previously, even if the Nintendo Switch console is in Sleep Mode
- Filter News to view only unread news or news from specific channels
- To keep the Parental Controls PIN private, the default method for PIN entry has been changed to entering using the Control Stick and buttons instead of the on-screen number pad
- When prompted to enter you Parental Controls PIN, press and hold the + Button to change between input methods
- Captured videos in the Album will be restricted by Parental Controls depending on the Restricted Software setting and Software Rating Organization
- Using the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app, add specific software titles to your whitelist to exclude them from the console’s Parental Controls Restricted Software setting
- Play-Time Limit restrictions will still apply even when the software title has been whitelisted.
- Receive notification when pre-purchased software is ready to play
- Nintendo Switch Pro Controller grip colors will now display in the Controllers menu
- Resolved an issue that caused Play Activity to display incorrectly in the Profile section of your User Page
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.