Fortnite Week 1 Alien Artifacts And How To Open Cosmic Chests
Fortnite's latest collectible lets you customize a brand new skin--if you can find them.
Alien Artifacts are a key new part of Fortnite Season 7, serving as an unlockable that can be used to obtain customization options for the Battle Pass's Kymera alien skin. But how do Alien Artifacts work, and where can you can find them? Read on for the full details, including where to track down the Alien Artifacts available for Week 1.
Alien Artifacts are a new collectible currency similar to the gold Bars in previous seasons. Unlike those Bars, however, these artifacts have a specific purpose: unlocking customizable parts for Kymera, the first skin unlocked in the Chapter 2 Season 7 Battle Pass.
Using the artifacts found around the island you can design the Kymera skin to your liking, changing its head shape, eyes, skin color, and more. Most options cost between two and 17 artifacts.
Alien Artifacts are located through normal exploration of the island, and every week will bring new Artifact locations to find, surely to keep players invested in fully customizing their very own Kymera. In Week 1, there are five Alien Artifacts to find in the following key locations.
Week 1 Alien Artifact Locations
- At the center of the map, formerly The Spire and now known as The Aftermath
- Inside The Orchard POI south of Craggy Cliffs
- On the western cliff of Catty Corner overlooking the river below
- At Durrr Burger south of Holly Hedges
- At the mouth of the river northeast of Believer Beach
How To Open Cosmic Chests
The other method of obtaining Alien Artifacts is through Cosmic Chests, a new type of chest unique to Season 7. Cosmic Chests are loot chests frozen in giant crystals and suspended in mid-air. Opening them requires a team of at least two players, meaning they will only appear in non-solo matches.
To open the Cosmic Chest, your team must do the following:
- Locate a Cosmic Chest and have your team gather around it.
- Upon activation, a beam of light will attach to one or more members of your team.
- Those members must attack specific points on the crystal, and only those members can damage said points.
- The beams of light will shift throughout the party, so repeat the steps with all party members until the chest is freed.
Prominent Fortnite Twitter account HypeX has shown gameplay of a squad opening a Cosmic Chest, which you can see below.
Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 7 brings an alien invasion to the island, adding Rick Sanchez from Rick and Morty and DC superhero Superman as part of the Season 7 Battle Pass. Check out our full breakdown of what's new and what to expect when you drop in the middle of the Invasion for the first time, as well as all of the unvaulted weapons and Season 7 Week 1 challenges.
- Fortnite Snap Quests - Where To Find All Tover Tokens And Unlock All Cosmetics
- Fortnite Chapter 3 Season 1 Map Changes
- Fortnite Miles Morales And Green Goblin Skins Teased On Chapter 3 Map
- How To Use Tents In Fortnite: Campsites Explained
- Fortnite Victory Crowns Explained: Why Some Players' Names Are In Gold
- All New Weapons And Items In Fortnite Chapter 3
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.