E3 2019: Before Xbox Conference, Gears 5 Release Date Confirmed For Fall 2019
The next chapter of Gears of War is coming.
After being rumored to release late this year, the launch window for Gears 5 has been officially confirmed. As spotted by GameSpot, one of the massive posters that found around the LA Convention Center during E3 this year features Gears 5, the upcoming sequel in the Gears of War series. The poster itself isn't terribly revealing, but it does list a release date window of Fall 2019. We snapped a picture of the poster, which can be viewed below. A more precise date might be coming later today, during the Xbox press conference.
Gears 5's release date was first hinted at via leaked box art in May 2019 (first noticed by Generation Xbox), which also listed that the game would come out this year on September 10. The box art was eventually confirmed to be real in June 2019 (via a tweet from the Gears of War account), leading to speculation that the accompanying release date leak is also real. September 10 is in the fall, so the leak is looking more and more likely to be true. We'll have to wait and see whether Microsoft confirms that specific date during its E3 2019 press conference, though, or simply reiterates the general Fall 2019 window.
Getting a release date for Gears 5 is one of the announcements we wanted to see at E3 this year, largely because we've heard very little about the game since its E3 2018 reveal. We're also hoping Xbox plans on revealing that Gears 5 has a fairly large campaign that increases the scales set by Gears of War 4. Getting a confirmation that Horde mode is returning would be nice too, as would be clarification for Gears 5 role in the growing esports scene.
Gears 5 has been confirmed to show up at E3 and is one of the 14 first-party Xbox One titles that Microsoft plans on showcasing during its press conference. Microsoft plans on going big at E3 this year, with rumors that the company press conference will showcase the next-gen Xbox console, a new From Software game featuring a story that George RR Martin consulted on, a fourth Fable game, and a whole lot more.
Gears 5 is coming to Xbox One and PC. As is the norm for Xbox One's first-party console exclusives, the game will launch on Game Pass day one. Gears 5 stars Kate Diaz, who goes on a journey of self-discovery after the events of the previous Gears of War game.
E3 2019 Press Conference Schedule
- Thursday, June 6, 9 AM PT -- Google Stadia Connect
- Saturday, June 8, 9:15 AM PT -- EA Play
- Saturday, June 8, 11 AM PT -- Nintendo Invitational Tournaments
- Sunday, June 9, 1 PM PT -- Microsoft Xbox Press Conference
- Sunday, June 9, 5:30 PM PT -- Bethesda Press Conference
- Sunday, June 9, 7 PM PT -- Devolver Press Conference
- Monday, June 10, 10 AM PT -- PC Gaming Show
- Monday, June 10, 12 PM PT -- Limited Run Games Press Conference
- Monday, June 10, 1 PM PT -- Ubisoft Press Conference
- Monday, June 10, 4:30 PM PT -- Kinda Funny Showcase
- Monday, June 10, 6 PM PT -- Square Enix Press Conference
- Tuesday, June 11, 9 AM PT -- Nintendo Direct Showcase
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.